Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US News Mail | 2022 NBA mock draft: Best fit vs. best available for every team
    3 hours ago, AKA 7 June 2022

9 San Antonio Spurs

Needs: Shaedon Sharpe | Kentucky | SG | Age: 19.0

Best available: Jalen Duren | Memphis | C | Age: 18.5

The Spurs are in need of a star, as they haven’t won a playoff series in five years and don’t look particularly close to doing so with their existing core. Sharpe’s excellent size, frame, explosiveness, dynamic shot-making and overall scoring instincts make him easily one of the most talented prospects in this draft class, as he possesses everything NBA teams look for at his position, with considerable upside to grow into long-term.

If opting for more of a needs-based approach, Duren could be very attractive here too. The center would offer a succession plan for the Spurs regarding Jakob Poeltl, who is entering the final year of his contract and may not be an ideal fit with the team’s timetable. Duren is also arguably the most physically gifted big man in the draft, at 6-10, 250 pounds with a 7-5 wingspan. He has a ready-made role from Day 1 as a lob-catching shot-blocker with the huge catch radius he displays, the excellent timing he shows as a rim-protector and the way he uses verticality to his advantage, but also has significant room for growth in terms of skill level as the game slows down for him entering his 20s.
    20. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors)

Needs: Walker Kessler | Auburn | C | Age: 20.8

Best available: E.J. Liddell | Ohio State | PF | Age: 21.4

The Spurs are one of the smallest teams in the NBA in the frontcourt and could get even smaller if Jakob Poeltl isn’t retained in free agency next summer. Kessler, the NCAA Defensive Player of the Year, who stands 7-1, 245 pounds, with a 7-4 wingspan, is a force as a rim protector but also brings strong pick-and-roll finishing ability and even some potential as a perimeter shooter. Kessler is a steady offensive presence with his ability to catch difficult passes, hammer home lobs, finish with touch around the basket and make good decisions out of short rolls, which should make him a good fit in San Antonio’s offense.

If opting for more of a best-player-available approach, the Spurs could be attracted to the versatility and productivity offered by Liddell. At 6-7, Liddell is undersized for an NBA power forward, but makes up for that with a near 7-foot wingspan and chiseled 243-pound frame. He brings a strong defensive versatility with a much improved shooting stroke that made him a weapon from beyond the 3-point line.
    25. San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics)

Needs: Jaden Hardy | G League Ignite | SG | Age: 19.9

Best available: Blake Wesley | Notre Dame | SG | Age: 19.2

With their final pick of the first round, the Spurs can afford to take a swing on the player with the biggest upside possible, in hopes of striking gold like they previously did late in the first round with Keldon Johnson, Derrick White and Dejounte Murray. Hardy still has plenty of upside to tap into as a shot-making, instinctual scorer who is only 19. Adding more shooting alongside Murray should be an attractive proposition for the Spurs and Hardy has the type of scoring talent that could allow him to anchor a bench unit down the road if he continues to progress with his frame and decision-making.

If Hardy is unavailable and the Spurs are still looking to take a plunge on a high-upside prospect who needs time to develop, Notre Dame’s Wesley is another attractive option. Wesley is one of the most physically gifted guards in this draft, capable of getting into the paint at will with his strong frame and explosive first step. He made strides as the season moved on both defensively and with his ability to create for teammates, and if he can continue to evolve as a shooter, he has the potential to be an absolute steal at this stage of the draft.
    8. Spurs (via Lakers)

Needs: Kendall Brown | Baylor | SF | Age: 19.0

Best available: Wendell Moore Jr., | Duke | SF | Age: 20.6

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Winners and Whiners | 2022 NBA First Round Mock Draft-Part I
    Ben the Pen [Ben Hayes], 3 days ago, AKA 4 June 2022

9)San Antonio Spurs, A.J. Griffin, Duke, SF, 6-6, 222

Another team that needs talent. Griffin has all the physical tools and the size, but lacks consistency. He can flat-out shoot the ball, but the rest of his game needs to catch up. Has the length to be a very good 3-and-D player. The Spurs could use another strong perimeter shooter who made nearly 45% of his three-point attempts last season.
    20)San Antonio Spurs, Jaden Hardy, G League Ignite, (6-4, 190)

If the Spurs keep this pick. Hardy makes some sense here. Hardy is a talented guard, but he didn’t test or scrimmage at the combine. He can flat-out score and is about to turn 20. There is some upside though he’s not a very athletic player, which is why he probably didn’t test.
    25)San Antonio Spurs, Jake LaRavia, Wake Forest, PF (6-8, 235)

If the Spurs keep this pick, they probably go with a stash-and-dash-type of pick, but I think they will trade it. LaRavia moved up to the first round by making 18-of-25 from three-point range in Chicago. Even though he spent three years in college, he’s just 20 and showed at the combine that he’s fairly athletic. Very good passer and highly skilled will get him a long look as a possible first-rounder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Winners and Whiners | 2022 NBA First Round Mock Draft-Part I
    Ben the Pen [Ben Hayes], 3 days ago, AKA 4 June 2022
    No way spurs go with Griffin ... I think he's gonna slide based on mocks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duren, Jovic, Beauchamp would indeed be pretty fine. I wouln't mind Sochan at 9 either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way this one plays out, I'd rather us go with Mathurin @ 9, Eason @ 20, okay with Baldwin @ 25, Porcida @ 38.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mathurin gonna be an awesome backup when we sign MF'n Zach LaVine

Don't GAF what happens to Primo or Vassell's development at that point either. Devin can easily move to the 3. Primo with either find a role or he won't. It's irrelevant at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mathurin gonna be an awesome backup when we sign MF'n Zach LaVine

Don't GAF what happens to Primo or Vassell's development at that point either. Devin can easily move to the 3. Primo with either find a role or he won't. It's irrelevant at this point.
    LaVine isn’t signing here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You clearly didn't comprehend my post. Re-read it.
    You mean the one you edited for clarity post-fact?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duren, Jovic, Beauchamp would indeed be pretty fine. I wouln't mind Sochan at 9 either.
    I agree. I'm warming to Duren at 9, and it sounds like Jovic wants to come over this year making it more appealing as well.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, but I wonder what explains the Griffin slide. Is the injury that bad?
    Injuries have hurt some of his athleticism.

Other players have jumped ahead of him in potential.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, but I wonder what explains the Griffin slide. Is the injury that bad?
    Injuries have hurt some of his athleticism.

Other players have jumped ahead of him in potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of those guys I think someone will take a swing at Duren before our pick.
    Yeah, I think he's probably more valued by professionals than mockers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I think he's probably more valued by professionals than mockers.
    I feel the same dynamic is true for Sochan, but in the opposite direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel the same dynamic is true for Sochan, but in the opposite direction.
    Sochan is just flat a weird prospect. He's kind of international, kind of athletic (horizontal). That lateral movement will help him both on defense and on offense, but that 58% FT shooting scares the bejeezus out of me. Doesn't help me think his 3 point shooting will improve a lot. He is that big wing we covet, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To get one of Murray, Daniels, Marhurin, or Sharpe at 9, you have to hope a team ahead of us falls in love with either Sochan, Davis, or Duren. If the Pacers take Murray it does nothing to help te chances of Mathurin/Davis falling
    I think he's saying that Murray going before Indy would mean they'd take Davis over Mathurin or Daniels. You can disagree with him, but he's not saying Indy taking Murray helps the Spurs. He thinks Indy has Murray, then Davis, then Mathurin/Daniels on their board whereas most teams probably have Mathurin/Daniels above Davis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is just flat a weird prospect. He's kind of international, kind of athletic (horizontal). That lateral movement will help him both on defense and on offense, but that 58% FT shooting scares the bejeezus out of me. Doesn't help me think his 3 point shooting will improve a lot. He is that big wing we covet, though.
    Yeah, you have to hope the ft% is a fluke. His form isn't terrible and his 3pt% isn't terrible. The sample size is somewhat limited -- I mean that he shot 1.8/3.0 fts per game.

Expressed per 36, his total fg% was a good bit better than Kawhi as a sop re, his 3pt% was an iota better, and (per 36) they shot pretty much the same number of fts. If Sochan hit one more ft per 36 minutes, he's at a good percentage. Can he do that? I... don't see why not.

Leonard beats him in almost every advanced metric:

https://www.tankathon.com/players/co...-kawhi-leonard

But Sochan is close in some. Also, he's only a freshman while Kawhi was a sop re when he came out. He also has Kawhi by a couple inches. Sochan just turned 19 a couple weeks ago. (Primo is only like five months older.)

Does this project Sochan as a Kawhi? I wish. In retrospect it's crazy that Leonard dropped to #15. Looking back at that draft (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_draft), there's a lot of "what the ?" ism, showing how ety teams can get with drafts.

But I hope Sochan can have a strong impact defensively while still having a great room to grow offensively.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean the one you edited for clarity post-fact?
    Which was done a few hours before you quoted it.

I think he's saying that Murray going before Indy would mean they'd take Davis over Mathurin or Daniels. You can disagree with him, but he's not saying Indy taking Murray helps the Spurs. He thinks Indy has Murray, then Davis, then Mathurin/Daniels on their board whereas most teams probably have Mathurin/Daniels above Davis.
    No, I said if they think there's little to nothing separating Daniels, Mathurin and Davis, that Davis might win out on the count of his arguably being the best fit with their current youth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Continuing the thought, here is Sochan, Tari Eason, Kawhi, and then Chris Singleton from the same 2011 draft class, who was drafted three spots behind Leonard but was regarded by many as a great defensive prospect. He fizzled out due to offensive issues after only three years.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/co...hris-singleton

I continue to be stunned by Eason's advanced metrics.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally -- I think folks are seeing a lot of Draymond in him because of his agitation tendencies and are afraid of missing. Btw i love someone like that on the team, just not at #9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s Draymond with blonde hair . But I’m warming on Eason where Spurs could potentially get him at 13-15.

I should stop fixating with my wish list, and prepare myself on getting disappointed with out of left field Spurs are picking . Is it June 23 yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I said if they think there's little to nothing separating Daniels, Mathurin and Davis, that Davis might win out on the count of his arguably being the best fit with their current youth.
    The IF doesn't matter. The scenario you're hoping for is saying that they do. The "Davis might win out on the count of his arguably being the best fit with their current youth" literally means, "Davis might be higher on their board." Unless you're so worried about someone running in here and calling you out in the event that Murray is taken before Indy and they pick Maturin/Daniels, it doesn't matter. MY point is that you didn't say Indy picking Murray was the thing that could help the Spurs get Mathurin/Daniels. It was specifically Murray not being an option for Indy and them picking the a guy to push the others down. That's why CGD's response didn't make sense, and why you were justified (though obviously terse) to say they should reread what you typed. You were already assuming one of Davis, Sochan or whomever jumped into the top six. You guys didn't disagree on premise, but CGD didn't know that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Continuing the thought, here is Sochan, Tari Eason, Kawhi, and then Chris Singleton from the same 2011 draft class, who was drafted three spots behind Leonard but was regarded by many as a great defensive prospect. He fizzled out due to offensive issues after only three years.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/co...hris-singleton

I continue to be stunned by Eason's advanced metrics.
    Yep. Eason is more like Brandon Clarke but a combo-forward rather than a combo-big. They both put up superstar numbers in college. Kawhi was much more raw offensively, but he had already started showing enough in pre-draft workouts to be considered a wing (though he played PF for stretches for multiple years in the NBA). Singleton's actually become a very good player in Europe, though I think he knows he wouldn't make it if he came back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A very disappointing outcome
    Very, very disappointing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fantasy Pros | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Full Two Round Picks & Predictions
    Kyle Williams, June 5, 2022
    Man, if we get Jalen Duren and John Butler........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Eason is more like Brandon Clarke but a combo-forward rather than a combo-big. They both put up superstar numbers in college. Kawhi was much more raw offensively, but he had already started showing enough in pre-draft workouts to be considered a wing (though he played PF for stretches for multiple years in the NBA). Singleton's actually become a very good player in Europe, though I think he knows he wouldn't make it if he came back.
    My gut is that Eason just doesn't fit in an organized team setting. This is a reason why LSU brought him in off the bench, where he had a very high usage rate because they didn't have much else going for them. Also worth noting is that he played for Cincinnati and LSU, neither of which is known for much structure.

Eason is an often astounding wrecking ball of a player, but is highly instinctual. Not the 'academy' type shown in one of those scouting videos (Chris Paul, Tim Duncan), who are students of the game and understand sets and multiple permutations. Conversely, Eason plays on impulse and sheer feel. When that feel isn't there, I'm not sure what happens.

Eason is awesome picking up blocks, swiping the ball, ripping it out of hands, barrelling in for scores. The suggestion is that he struggles with defending in a team environment, with structure, plays with complete tunnel vision, isn't able to make multiple reads or recognize mismatches or game situations. I'm not saying he's a nutcase in that regard, just saying that these are far from strong suits.

In this regard, Eason seems more like Singleton. He is amazingly productive, but may never be a consistent starter because he blows things up (on both ends) constantly, either not understanding what to do or freelancing. A team like Atlanta or Chicago could get a of a player just after the lottery. I'm not sure he's the guy with a lottery pick.

Thread Information