Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    First off I dont give two s about politics on either side. I have liberal and republican friends, a good person is a good person. But I have to be honest and let you know as a former Los Angelino (moved 2016) after talking to many Laker fans during the 2020 bubble and asking them if they are watching the Lakers dominance about 80-90% said they stopped watching due to iden y politics. I was pretty surprised because most of these people are left leaning but they said it just isnt fun any more with all the social justice stuff Lebron has been doing. They stated while they support social justice they want an escape from all the reminders and Lebron constantly reminded them of how messed up the world is.

More surprisingly none of these fan started watching again in 2021 despite all that stuff some what calming down. I have no problem with liberals but lets be honest woke is another level and the 70-80% decrease I am seeing in ratings isnt about streaming online. There was a pretty similar thread on Realgm last week with 10+ pages of responses and I skimmed through it and most either 100% blamed woke bs or others kept downplaying it. Oddly enough those people were woke fans themselves and stated its streaming + no defense + too many calls.

Is anyone else noticing this phenomenon happening in not just the NBA but all sports? It just happened to me this year too...had enough of the BS. I haven't seen a Laker game this season, I stopped when the commentators, league, and overall players wouldn't shut up about Joe Biden. They are welcome to speak but we are welcome to turn it off. I have never missed a Laker playoff game in my life. I possibly wont watch this post season. It doesnt feel like the NBA anymore. Feels like the democratic party with basketballs wearing Laker uniforms tbh.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine not watching a championship team because you're Still With Trump

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I had a similar talk with my sister yesterday. She lives in Berlin and works in Academia so she holds many of these woke views. I told her I really hope to visit her this summer because I need an escape from what American culture/society has transformed into. Is the rhetoric really necessary on for example social media? Not people's posts or content but there are ads displayed in the headings and in the user interface. Even on Tinder, Yelp and Netflix.

I am completely avoiding ESPN. Once again even the advertisement and scrolling text on the screen. It is completely unavoidable.

To be exact even in my friends group text I dread when too much politics is posted from conservative perspective. I loved working the day of the Chauvin trail verdict. Was entirely disconnected.

Sadly I don't think American society will ever return to normal. As substance abuse and depression will continue to rise as a result.
    Last edited by FrostKing; 04-26-2021 at 05:02 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It seems the same is happening with the Spurs. Many fans are not following it as closely and it's not just because the team is a .500 club, it's because Pop won't STFU about social issues and race hustling. And oh yeah, he still goes on these weird Trump rants when the bad orange man has been gone for months now. It seems that maybe Pop has a guilty conscience for making big $ off the backs of black folks. The media asks him what went wrong for the Spurs tonight and he has a snide, 6 word response(the other team scored more points). But if they ask him about Trump or Abbott he goes on a 15 minute diatribe. It's clear where his mind is at and I don't think it's on basketball.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dont know bout LeBron, but politics did for sure. Even here in Europe people are just rolling their eyes when they see all the kneeling and all the jerseys players were wearing last year.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Sadly I don't think American society will ever return to normal. As substance abuse and depression will continue to rise as a result.

Breaks my heart but I agree with you. I'm so happy most my childhood were the mid 80's-90's. I'm both grateful and very sad for todays youth to see that they wont ever come close to growing up in such an amazing time in human history.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It seems the same is happening with the Spurs. Many fans are not following it as closely and it's not just because the team is a .500 club, it's because Pop won't STFU about social issues and race hustling. And oh yeah, he still goes on these weird Trump rants when the bad orange man has been gone for months now. It seems that maybe Pop has a guilty conscience for making big $ off the backs of black folks. The media asks him what went wrong for the Spurs tonight and he has a snide, 6 word response(the other team scored more points). But if they ask him about Trump or Abbott he goes on a 15 minute diatribe. It's clear where his mind is at and I don't think it's on basketball.
    Pop and Kerr should just run for congress or make a show like the view at this point. It's so embarrassing what has become of those two. I cant believe Pop is trying to pull that in Texas. Lebron in LA it sorta makes sense but Pop doing that in Texas has surprised me.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Pop and Kerr should just run for congress or make a show like the view at this point. It's so embarrassing what has become of those two. I cant believe Pop is trying to pull that in Texas. Lebron in LA it sorta makes sense but Pop doing that in Texas has surprised me.
    Hey, that is not a bad idea

The panel: Pop, Kerr, Rev Sharpton, Don Lemon. They'll need a quasi-Republican like Mitt Romney(after he gets primaried) to appear to offer some shallow resistance to their talking points. They can have special guests on like multi-millionaire Lebron to offer revisionist history as to why America sucks and has always sucked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP triggered af

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    No, I am sincerely curious as to why the NBA ratings are down 70-80%. That is an astronomical decrease in all honesty let’s not kid ourselves.

hey btw congrats on Biden acknowledging the genocide. I hear your people will get their lands back now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I am sincerely curious as to why the NBA ratings are down 70-80%. That is an astronomical decrease in all honesty let’s not kid ourselves.
    its not like you start or stop watching the NBA based on what the ratings are. you have a personal reason for not watching and its because ur triggered af

hey btw congrats on Biden acknowledging the genocide. I hear your people will get their lands back now
    i never saw that as a realistic outcome. lack of recognition that it ever happened was always fairly insulting though, tbh

turkish trolls seething in comments to every biden tweet since then has been pretty refreshing tho. kind of like you in this thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had a similar talk with my sister yesterday. She lives in Berlin and works in Academia so she holds many of these woke views. I told her I really hope to visit her this summer because I need an escape from what American culture/society has transformed into. Is the rhetoric really necessary on for example social media? Not people's posts or content but there are ads displayed in the headings and in the user interface. Even on Tinder, Yelp and Netflix.

I am completely avoiding ESPN. Once again even the advertisement and scrolling text on the screen. It is completely unavoidable.

To be exact even in my friends group text I dread when too much politics is posted from conservative perspective. I loved working the day of the Chauvin trail verdict. Was entirely disconnected.

triggered

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Breaks my heart but I agree with you. I'm so happy most my childhood were the mid 80's-90's. I'm both grateful and very sad for todays youth to see that they wont ever come close to growing up in such an amazing time in human history.
    Constantly reminding people they are different and better/worse is uniting. Entire generation of victims

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    its not like you start or stop watching the NBA based on what the ratings are. you have a personal reason for not watching and its because ur triggered af
    You dont get it do you? The NBA just lost 80% of its audience. Im simply asking what peoples takes are on this. How is responding lol triggered an answer? Im not surprised tho based on the quality of posters responding in such fashion. Sounds more like woke gots being offended. Also we dont stop watching because we are offended we stop because the product sucks now.

Am I supposed to pretend it doesnt suck and push through it? You can tell the difference between a good series you wanna keep watching and a bad one on TV right? Same here except I think it has to do with the politics. You are welcome to disagree and say no I think its other reasons. Trolling has never really been your thing spurraider.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    This is the entertainment industry. Being talked down to and guilt tripped is an interesting strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You dont get it do you? The NBA just lost 80% of its audience. Im simply asking what peoples takes are on this. How is responding lol triggered an answer? Im not surprised tho based on the quality of posters responding in such fashion. Sounds more like woke gots being offended. Also we dont stop watching because we are offended we stop because the product sucks now.

Am I supposed to pretend it doesnt suck and push through it? You can tell the difference between a good series you wanna keep watching and a bad one on TV right? Same here except I think it has to do with the politics. You are welcome to disagree and say no I think its other reasons. Trolling has never really been your thing spurraider.
    I think the pandemic has a lot to do with this. Lots of people that love to go to the games, and watch their teams while they're on the road.

The whole compressed season, bubble, plus no fans in attendance is a killer. We'll see what happens when the pandemic is largely over and the public can attend games again.

Outside of video games, a lot of entertainment businesses are going through the same.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'd be surprised if it was just social media alone. For me, I stopped watching sports regularly years ago and it would've happened regardless of the political climate. I'll still have a game on if company is over or if I'm over at a friend's house. I think the main problem is the fact that it's rammed down our throats when watching the actual games. Despite social media's popularity, people don't spend hours out of their day after work scrolling through Lebron's instagram feed or w/e. The problem is that we can't even escape it during the actual broadcasts of the game. Whether it's the kneeling, political warm up shirts during layup lines, or being reminded that the orange man is bad by the commentators. The worst, IMO, was when I was at a friend's house a few months ago and some game was about to start. They were doing "pregame analysis" or atleast that's what I thought it was going to be....instead it was some former player pointing into the camera, lecturing me on how I was the white devil, and that I need to vote for Biden and get Trump out of office. I tuned in for a basketball game, not to watch a CNN re-run

It just seems to have gotten out of control lately. I understand athletes/coaches have always had political stances, but now they can't just STFU for 2 seconds with all the social media or chances to go viral on Youtube. Like a poster said earlier, Pop uses his interviews now to go for the big-time, heavy hitta "Trump man is bad rant" YouTube goods just for ratings

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m enjoying this thread

A lot of sensitive racist small ed beta cuck snowflakes getting triggered by Hollywoodi and a basketball players

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I’m enjoying this thread

A lot of sensitive racist small ed beta cuck snowflakes getting triggered by Hollywoodi and a basketball players
    Wouldn't tuning in to the black supremacy be beta cuck?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't tuning in to the black supremacy be beta cuck?
    no, beta cuck is in white supremacist’s DNA

Hans Brix??? Oh no!!!! Kim Jong-il's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    why do the most blatant Trump s always start things off with “I don’t even care about politics!”

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    no, beta cuck is in white supremacist’s DNA
    And black supremacist too?

Hans Brix??? Oh no!!!! Kim Jong-il's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Here’s how I make sure I don’t get bombarded with politics when watching sports.

1. I just watch the games.
    2. I don’t spend my entire existence worried about what LeBron says when he’s not on the court, or what Fox News says about what LeBron says.

I’m guessing OP spends WAY more time fixated on #2 than #1.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Here’s how I make sure I don’t get bombarded with politics when watching sports.

1. I just watch the games.
    2. I don’t spend my entire existence worried about what LeBron says when he’s not on the court, or what Fox News says about what LeBron says.

I’m guessing OP spends WAY more time fixated on #2 than #1.
    Cool and how do you avoid hearing what ESPN says about what LeBron says while the game airs on ESPN?

Use to be able to turn off the audio but now there is even imagery. Maybe you watch the games with sound off and eyes closed?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Car commercial

Thread Information