Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smh..

This thread is not about the roster just about giving some props to pop for a change. You have an issue with that ? What’s your take he does not deserve some good job coach lately ? It’s one thread among numerous pop lost it and sucks

Also nobody is saying spurs are contenders..
    I’m not against giving him props, what I’m asking is what are we giving him props for? Did he do some radical change that turned the proverbial tables around? Again, not hating, I just see the same rotations and players everyone was ing about two weeks ago. Now they’re hitting shots, playing better together, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's the best coach of basketball ever.

"Best" doesn't mean perfect though, and a lot of overreacting "fans" seems to think that's the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is a (if not THE) GOAT, no question about it. He isn't flaweless though, and many people here act as if he were, tbh.

The turnaround he is having with this team is nothing short of amazing, tbh.
    No one is flawless. No one. That should never be the bar or even relevant. Are there people here who won't criticize Pop? I guess, but there are far more people here who legit act like Pop is somehow holding this team back and is a net negative. That's ing stupid.

This team looks good right now. Probably not at true contender level, but they definitely look like a playoff team and a lionshare of that credit goes to Pop. , I thought that giving Bryn Forbes this kind of playtime was idiotic and look what he's turned Forbes into. And while most of the credit for that has to go to Forbes himself, Pop saw it as a possibility and put him in the right position to do so.

This team makes me feel the way the 2012 team did. That team had a shocking resurgence but they still did it with the Big 3. This is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT team! To retool around aging superstars that have been together forever is one thing. To retool on the fly the way this Spurs team did with a team that many didn't even pick to be a playoff teams and with the injuries they had early on? Wow man, its a master piece.

Pop should probably be the front runner for COY right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not against giving him props, what I’m asking is what are we giving him props for? Did he do some radical change that turned the proverbial tables around? Again, not hating, I just see the same rotations and players everyone was ing about two weeks ago. Now they’re hitting shots, playing better together, etc
    Pop is putting players in a position to succeed with an offense that no one else in the NBA is using. Not only that, but its basically two different offenses depending on who's on the court. Not only that he's taken a team full of players historically weak on the defensive side and has them playing pretty damn good D.

In the end you need the players to play well in order to make you look good as a coach but the coach has to put them in a position to do so. That's literally the point of a coach. Getting the most out of your players isn't easy. There's a reason so many teams always under achieve in this league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is putting players in a position to succeed with an offense that no one else in the NBA is using. Not only that, but its basically two different offenses depending on who's on the court. Not only that he's taken a team full of players historically weak on the defensive side and has them playing pretty damn good D.

In the end you need the players to play well in order to make you look good as a coach but the coach has to put them in a position to do so. That's literally the point of a coach. Getting the most out of your players isn't easy. There's a reason so many teams always under achieve in this league.
    You know what the problem is, Manny? You can’t be the worst doing A and losing and then doing A and winning and be the greatest. Either Pop has been great all this season, the players sucked then and rock now, or Pop still sucks but the players got some solid wins despite of that.

I just want to know which is it, because when we get drubbed in the 1st/2nd round because Patty or Forbes can’t make a shot, or QPon is back on the rotation, I’d like to know who’s to blame, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is flawless. No one. That should never be the bar or even relevant. Are there people here who won't criticize Pop? I guess, but there are far more people here who legit act like Pop is somehow holding this team back and is a net negative. That's ing stupid.

This team looks good right now. Probably not at true contender level, but they definitely look like a playoff team and a lionshare of that credit goes to Pop. , I thought that giving Bryn Forbes this kind of playtime was idiotic and look what he's turned Forbes into. And while most of the credit for that has to go to Forbes himself, Pop saw it as a possibility and put him in the right position to do so.

This team makes me feel the way the 2012 team did. That team had a shocking resurgence but they still did it with the Big 3. This is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT team! To retool around aging superstars that have been together forever is one thing. To retool on the fly the way this Spurs team did with a team that many didn't even pick to be a playoff teams and with the injuries they had early on? Wow man, its a master piece.

Pop should probably be the front runner for COY right now.
    It's also worth mentioning that the turnaround came when he went with the moves that many here were asking for weeks ago, tbh. More Bertans, more White, erasing Cunningham, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's the best coach of basketball ever.

"Best" doesn't mean perfect though, and a lot of overreacting "fans" seems to think that's the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know what the problem is, Manny? You can’t be the worst doing A and losing and then doing A and winning and be the greatest. Either Pop has been great all this season, the players sucked then and rock now, or Pop still sucks but the players got some solid wins despite of that.

I just want to know which is it, because when we get drubbed in the 1st/2nd round because Patty or Forbes can’t make a shot, or QPon is back on the rotation, I’d like to know who’s to blame, tbh
    Except it takes time for a whole new roster to gel.. yes pop has been great all this season with finally a good stretch of wins to validate his work and team efforts to play the brand of Ball pop want them to.. this team can fall apart in the next weeks but so far it’s a good job pop and a big lol at people who questioned pop motivation at the beginning of the season.

then and again he is not perfect but so far there are more goods than bads with the way he is handling the season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also worth mentioning that the turnaround came when he went with the moves that many here were asking for weeks ago, tbh. More Bertans, more White, erasing Cunningham, etc.
    And a lot of people were saying Forbes is a scrub including me.. pop has been stubborn playing him and it seems to pay off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is not about sucking pop , just giving him a bit of recognition on a board that most of the time is harsh with him. Like all fan bases are harsh with their coach... not specific to ST.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More than that has happened. I don’t remember anyone saying to change their defensive plan or to keep trusting in Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When the Spurs were 11-14 national radio broadcasts on ESPN and NBA radio were talking about the Spurs roster being “terrible” compared to the rest of the league and there’s nothing left to win with in San Antonio. The fact they’re playing great with this “terrible” roster is certainly attributable to Pop’s coaching. If they’d of hit the tank button at 11-14 most folks wouldn’t have been too shocked, but amazingly they’ve started to play well. There’s a long way to go, so I’m hopeful this play can continue for the rest of the season.

The Spurs were 6-8 at one point in ‘99 and finished 37-13 so there’s that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More than that has happened. I don’t remember anyone saying to change their defensive plan or to keep trusting in Forbes.
    Many folks were talking about using zone ish schemes, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many folks were talking about using zone ish schemes, tbh.
    I can say that someone with a heart attack needs a bypass but that doesn't make me a heart surgeon. There are some people who here who know enough basketball to make good observations. But there's a big difference between making a good observation and being an NBA coach. Pop has a way of doing things, but he's changed many times. I was afraid Dante Cunningham was simply going to be Keith Bogans all over again, but Pop learned and made adjustments. Its easy to say play White more, but White looked like dog at times this season. He's finally started to figure it out and he's looking damn good, but I'm glad Pop took the approach he didn't and didn't just throw out White for 30 minutes a ame when he was playing like garbage.

I honestly really don't get your point here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why don't you watch the season play out and then go from there instead of trying to decide in January who ed it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coach at his level has to worry about team chemistry and locker room culture. You have veterans that came in, many on slight discounts and after PATFO assuring them it will be fair compe ion. It is not hard to see that the best guys are eventually playing. I think Cunningham, being such a savvy strong veteran outplayed these guys in the beginning. Pau Gasol obviously outplaying Poeltl int ge beginning too during training camp and making sure the plays are run smoothly. Over time if it's not working and the younger guys are picking things up and winning games then there is no situation of SJax where teammates are jealous of each others playing time and causing more trouble than gelling together and creating a real team.
    This has all worked out and you can tell they are having fun and supporting each other now. This is how it was done in the Robinson days. Back then they ended up using the veterans but this time young guys out competed them and now we see the fruits of the process. Just my 2 cents now. I too was clamoring for more White.

I think White benefitted from Pop putting a wall in front of him and making him tear it down before breaking out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can say that someone with a heart attack needs a bypass but that doesn't make me a heart surgeon. There are some people who here who know enough basketball to make good observations. But there's a big difference between making a good observation and being an NBA coach. Pop has a way of doing things, but he's changed many times. I was afraid Dante Cunningham was simply going to be Keith Bogans all over again, but Pop learned and made adjustments. Its easy to say play White more, but White looked like dog at times this season. He's finally started to figure it out and he's looking damn good, but I'm glad Pop took the approach he didn't and didn't just throw out White for 30 minutes a ame when he was playing like garbage.

I honestly really don't get your point here.
    Well, on that tone I could say that if White would have started to got minutes last season (as many of us wanted) he would be way ahead of his NBA development right now and he could have helped this season from the get go (or HIS get go, since he was injured to start the season).

Of course being an internet coach is not the same as being a real coach. But sometimes what folks say here have merits and it shouldn't always be discredited just because "Pop knows better". No, sometimes Pop doesn't know better. He is a GOAT but he isn't perfect. He has Made mistakes before and he will continue to make mistakes. ing apologists here shouldn't jump at other posters throat at the first sign of criticism, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, on that tone I could say that if White would have started to got minutes last season (as many of us wanted) he would be way ahead of his NBA development right now and he could have helped this season from the get go (or HIS get go, since he was injured to start the season).

Of course being an internet coach is not the same as being a real coach. But sometimes what folks say here have merits and it shouldn't always be discredited just because "Pop knows better". No, sometimes Pop doesn't know better. He is a GOAT but he isn't perfect. He has Made mistakes before and he will continue to make mistakes. ing apologists here shouldn't jump at other posters throat at the first sign of criticism, tbh.

Your point on White is a big ass assumption. If all it took to develop into a good NBA player was playtime, why do so many franchises it up? The Spurs have the best track record in developing young players. So much so that those players are often times when the leave here.

Literally no one is claiming Pop is perfect. JFC, how many times does that need to be said before you stop going to it so defensively. LJ grades Pop in each of the game threads and its not A+ each and every time out, right? So why do you think people don't tell him he's full of for that?

Pop is a top 3 all time NBA coach. He should be the current leading candidate for CoTY. Thats the bottom line.

This thread: Pop has done a good job.

DAF: HE'S NOT PERFECT THO STOP SAYING HE'S PERFECT AND STOP BEING MEAN TO ME.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your point on White is a big ass assumption. If all it took to develop into a good NBA player was playtime, why do so many franchises it up? The Spurs have the best track record in developing young players. So much so that those players are often times when the leave here.
    Since last season it was clear that White was the best guard we had. Yeah, even last season. If you want I can link you to the thread of people saying that. Do you really think that if White would have gotten minutes on the second half of last season he wouldn't have developed?

Same thing with Splitter back in the day. Pop apologists will say: "dude wasn't ready yet. Look how Pop took his time to develop him and know we are seeing the dividents". Pop never loses in your eyes, when in reality if Pop would have started playing Splitter, White and Bertans (this is another guy that should have been seeing more minutes since earlier than he got them) earlier on their careers the Spurs would have benefited from their play a lot more. Right now, for example, we would probably have 4 or 5 more wins. We might even be sitting at the top of the standings, instead of fighting for a playoffs spot.

While not playing Splitter earlier might have cost us a playoffs series or even a championship.

Literally no one is claiming Pop is perfect. JFC, how many times does that need to be said before you stop going to it so defensively. LJ grades Pop in each of the game threads and its not A+ each and every time out, right? So why do you think people don't tell him he's full of for that?

Pop is a top 3 all time NBA coach. He should be the current leading candidate for CoTY. Thats the bottom line.

This thread: Pop has done a good job.

DAF: HE'S NOT PERFECT THO STOP SAYING HE'S PERFECT AND STOP BEING MEAN TO ME.
    I'm the defensive one? You are the ones that come running out the gates at the slighest of criticism directed at Pop, even if it's totally warranted.

For example, on this thread I said "Pop is a (if not THE) GOAT and that the turnaround this team is having is amazing" and you still found a way to come here and bust my balls for saying something that is completely true, which is that many of the adjustments made were adjustments that many folks here were screaming for for weeks (and that people like you were arguing against, because "Pop knows better")

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still found a way to bust your balls? I respond to you and asked you what your point was. YES, you're the defensive one. You're the one talking about people busting your balls and jumping down your throat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why don't you watch the season play out and then go from there instead of trying to decide in January who ed it up.
    I’m gonna blame Brazil anyways, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just already know I’m going to hate to see our season going away shooting contested 15ft jumpers, tbh... I just don’t know that’s LMA’s fault or Pop doing Pop things...

Can’t say anything bad about DDR though in his first season. Maybe he’ll show up to bail us out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For example, on this thread I said "Pop is a (if not THE) GOAT and that the turnaround this team is having is amazing" and you still found a way to come here and bust my balls for saying something that is completely true, which is that many of the adjustments made were adjustments that many folks here were screaming for for weeks (and that people like you were arguing against, because "Pop knows better")
    How do you and others know when players are ready to play and contribute? It's one thing to play internet coach and have the opinion that "player A" is ready, but how are you so sure they're ready?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you and others know when players are ready to play and contribute? It's one thing to play internet coach and have the opinion that "player A" is ready, but how are you so sure they're ready?
    It depends on the cir stances. With Splitter and Bertans it came from seeing them on Europe and thinking they could be instant contributors on the NBA, specially when you see that the guys playing over them suck balls.

With Derrick it came from seeing him with the Toros.

Other times is just saying " it. I don't know how good this guy is but giving him a chance is better than keep seeing the ing scrub that is getting playing time over him" (for example, let's try that Ben Moore dude over that no future having Pondexter).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends on the cir stances. With Splitter and Bertans it came from seeing them on Europe and thinking they could be instant contributors on the NBA, specially when you see that the guys playing over them suck balls.

With Derrick it came from seeing him with the Toros.

Other times is just saying " it. I don't know how good this guy is but giving him a chance is better than keep seeing the ing scrub that is getting playing time over him".
    From what I've seen, unless you are LMA or DeRozan, it is up to you to get the system down and contribute. If you expect the Spurs to integrate the system around role players, I guess you will always hate Pops style. Also, because of how compe ive the season has become Pop tries not to use the regular season to develop young players, that's what the G league is for. Derrick White was still learning the playbook and got to build his confidence in the G League.

Thread Information