Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Seeing that behemoth of a man become a gentle giant and break down like that really was something I never imagined seeing. And he is so right, Kobe not being there for his own HOF induction absolutely sucks hard. I mean one of his very last events on this planet is watching Lebron pass him on the all time scoring list - and now all this.
    Especially considering they haven't spoke in close to 3 years. He's feeling a lot of regret, I feel for Shaq.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Roberto Clemente died in a similar fashion while doing it for humanitarian purposes. The MLB didn't do some over reactionary B.S., P.R. stunt like retiring his number league wide.
    Clemente was the first person I thought about when I heard about Kobe. Granted that happened almost 50 years ago, but I'm surprised Clemente hasn't been mentioned more in all this.

Interestingly, they also didn't waive Clemente's Hall of Fame induction process. He got in first ballot (93%), which means somebody voted against a dead hero

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Especially considering they haven't spoke in close to 3 years. He's feeling a lot of regret, I feel for Shaq.
    Knowing how petty and jealous Shaq is, he was probably very jealous of Kobe’s last game and the way LA became 100% Kobe’s town, and kinda brushed him aside. Shaq went ring chasing, Kobe stayed home. Even last night he kept saying “our names will always be connected.”

And rhe part about “I never want to hear anyone ever question our relationship again” sounded like a lot of guilt lashing out.
    Last edited by UZER; 01-29-2020 at 03:38 PM.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Shaq totally sounded like he was living with a huge amount of regret.

But I do understand his brother analogy. Once you get older, have your own family, and are busy with work and in their cases all the projects they’re involved with, unless you’re like neighbors and still see each other every week, you might grow a bit a part. And brothers sometimes aren’t as close as like lifelong best friends or college buddies. And sometimes even family members hold grudges with each other. But I was also surprised that they hadn’t seen each other since Kobe’s last game, 3 1/2 years ago now.

Their relationship was likely better after they squashed their personal Cold War with each other a few years ago. But I suspect and apparently it didn’t mean they became close again.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Shaq has had a great deal of tragedy the past few months. It was heartbreaking to see him grieve. It was kind of cathartic when he'd halfheartedly poke fun at Charles. I mean, dude just lost his sister not too long ago and having to deal with the regret and unspoken distance between him and Kobe.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Guys relax the league isnt changing the logo in all likelihood. I also dont feel like intruding into every fan base so they honor Kobe is necessary. I think we should just let the players organically honor him the way they want to. I would hate to force Spur or Kings fans into this.

But what I will say is Kobe mentored a ton of these young up and coming players. If you go on LG Laker fans were upset Kobe was mentoring Kiwi+PG. He mentored Tatum to Kuzma to Kemba Walker. A lot of these guys looked up to him and want him honored and immortalized. There were multiple threads when he was alive asking why he's helping the enemy. Kobe transcended into a mentor for a lot of these guys. Can't help it that so many of them are torn apart. Seeing these guys cry mid game isn't an act...it's very real.

We'll see what happens. Oddly enough I would really like to hear what Duncan has to say even though knowing Timmy he just wants to live his life and be left out of this .

Living in SD and Los Angeles I'll tell you the entire So Cal is hurting bad like a city that needs closure. We'll get through it but takes time. We loved Kobe and grew up with him.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Guys relax the league isnt changing the logo in all likelihood. I also dont feel like intruding into every fan base so they honor Kobe is necessary. I think we should just let the players organically honor him the way they want to. I would hate to force Spur or Kings fans into this.

But what I will say is Kobe mentored a ton of these young up and coming players. If you go on LG Laker fans were upset Kobe was mentoring Kiwi+PG. He mentored Tatum to Kuzma to Kemba Walker. A lot of these guys looked up to him and want him honored and immortalized.

We'll see what happens. Oddly enough I would really like to hear what Duncan has to say even though knowing Timmy he just wants to live his life and be left out of this .

Living in SD and Los Angeles I'll tell you the entire So Cal is hurting bad like a city that needs closure. We'll get through it but takes time. We loved Kobe.
    But we didn't know that until after he died, eva. That was kept from us so Media could bleed out the bad guy for all it was worth.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    But we didn't know that until after he died, eva. That was kept from us so Media could bleed out the bad guy for all it was worth.
    I didn't realize how many he mentored either until recently. I do recall LG quite upset that Kiwi and PG were part of Kobe's camp because we're competing against him. I'm telling you the second half of Kobe's life was something else...very tragic.

My dad and uncle never cry....it's hard to keep a dry eye in the house lately when we see an image and I'm not ashamed at all to admit it. Had his daughter not been in there I truly believe the healing process would have been significantly easier. This just takes the heart out of a lot of us...the city loved Gigi and what Kobe was doing for women's sports.

I see dying people at work every day and sadly it takes a toll on you in ways you wouldn't believe....its very challenging to break the news of cancer or death as an every day part of life but you get used to it. Even after all that I am getting used to this made me crack. I had to keep it in all day and when I got home I cried like a . It's very difficult right now for a lot of us. My nurses didnt believe me when I told them Kobe died.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    finally...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan > Kobe but it's not a landslide. Kobe was better and more relevant 2007-13.
    2008-12* tbh (both had amazing, throwback years in 2012-2013), but yes, agreed. And obviously Kobe's impact on the game and his popularity was/is in a completely different level from almost every other player in history other than maybe Jordan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not one to retire two numbers league wide. I mean, if the reverence is for the league to do #24, I wouldn't object. In a more sense of clarity, renaming a trophy would probably be the road I'd personally like to see. I know there was a tweet that the Lakers have something planned like naming the court at Staples Center in honor of him, but I can't get behind the changing of the NBA logo. That seems like something that Kobe would be against and it just seems more of a rash jump in a time when emotions are still bone raw.
    Totally agree. Maybe naming the scoring le after him? For sure a statue at Staples

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it so damn funny how since it’s Kobe and he was a laker everything that happens is an exaggeration or not needed or over the top or people make jokes. So if ing TD passed or Dirk ( I don’t wanna jinx any just making a point). It would be fine cause they they didn’t play in LA. I understand Kobe basketball wise is probably a top 15 player . I understand TD was better any ing basketball fan knows it but Bryant’s legacy is of a top 3 player of all time. Look at D rose. Dude is probably a top 100 player and he has more fans than players like KD who obviously have been better. This man just passed with his daughter and the 7 other victims. Let people grieve and show their respects at least for a ing week. God damn everything is a damn issue.
    The people who are really grieving ain't reading SpursTalk, bruh. Ge a hold of yourself.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq had not talked to Kobe since his 60 night?

So that mending of their relationship was just BS?

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

I'm not sure that he hadn't misspoken. He was there for Kobe's jersey retirement ceremony. I think perhaps he meant he hadn't spoken to him in person since 2016ish? I know he was wrought with emotion, so I don't know specifically if he was speaking coherently. I know from local reports Kobe did have a steady dialogue with Shareef and Shaq's other kids. The closeness they shared I guess is shrouded in a level of mystery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would the silhouette for Kobe NBA logo look like?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count

I don't think it was Cub, it was talked about how he was working with players in the off-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't do anything like any of the stuff people are suggesting. The Lakers can do whatever they want. Mostly marketing anyhow. I don't think the league should do anything about it though. The guy was like what 12 - 14th overall? I mean no disrespect to Kobe or his family but why would you take the guy who's ranked 12 - 14th overall and retire his number everywhere across the league because he died? It's an incredibly tragic death but there are ways to honor him that don't include permanent changes to the entire organization and certainly not the entire league. They spent his last year basically sucking his anywhere he went. Shouldn't that be enough? Mourn the man and move on. Is the league so ty today that this is all they have going for them to sell ing tickets?
    Last edited by DMC; 01-29-2020 at 07:47 PM.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I don't think that's true. It was known that a lot of the young guys looked up to Kobe and looked to him for guidance. Kyrie talked about Kobe's influence a lot, for one. After he hit the shot that brought the le to Cleveland he talked about having that "Mamba mentality" and about how he'd gotten encouragement and advice from Kobe along the way. Kobe was a player's player. Other than maybe Allen Iverson I can't think of a player who was more respected by his peers than Kobe, and it was no secret.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that's true. It was known that a lot of the young guys looked up to Kobe and looked to him for guidance. Kyrie talked about Kobe's influence a lot, for one. After he hit the shot that brought the le to Cleveland he talked about having that "Mamba mentality" and about how he'd gotten encouragement and advice from Kobe along the way. Kobe was a player's player. Other than maybe Allen Iverson I can't think of a player who was more respected by his peers than Kobe, and it was no secret.
    I guess that's why Dwyane Wade broke his nose during the All-Star Game when Kobe was going for the All Star MVP. They might have openly professed to respect him however none of them wanted to play alongside him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think they got over their beef but they were never friends or buddies like Shaq kept on alluding. I never bought that they were close.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I didn't realize how many he mentored either until recently. I do recall LG quite upset that Kiwi and PG were part of Kobe's camp because we're competing against him. I'm telling you the second half of Kobe's life was something else...very tragic.

My dad and uncle never cry....it's hard to keep a dry eye in the house lately when we see an image and I'm not ashamed at all to admit it. Had his daughter not been in there I truly believe the healing process would have been significantly easier. This just takes the heart out of a lot of us...the city loved Gigi and what Kobe was doing for women's sports.

I see dying people at work every day and sadly it takes a toll on you in ways you wouldn't believe....its very challenging to break the news of cancer or death as an every day part of life but you get used to it. Even after all that I am getting used to this made me crack. I had to keep it in all day and when I got home I cried like a . It's very difficult right now for a lot of us. My nurses didnt believe me when I told them Kobe died.
    Good stuff, eva, especially the last paragraph. Bully for you.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they got over their beef but they were never friends or buddies like Shaq kept on alluding. I never bought that they were close.
    That's a strong possibility.

I think they publicly mended fences for marketing purposes and stuff was still simmering.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I guess that's why Dwyane Wade broke his nose during the All-Star Game when Kobe was going for the All Star MVP. They might have openly professed to respect him however none of them wanted to play alongside him.
    Maybe, but you don't necessarily have to like a person to respect him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing how petty and jealous Shaq is, he was probably very jealous of Kobe’s last game and the way LA became 100% Kobe’s town, and kinda brushed him aside. Shaq went ring chasing, Kobe stayed home. Even last night he kept saying “our names will always be connected.”

And rhe part about “I never want to hear anyone ever question our relationship again” sounded like a lot of guilt lashing out.
    Shaq has always been a child at heart. Part of the reason why he hated David Robinson and Duncan was how both were loved in San Antonio more than he was. Shaq felt since he was from San Antonio that the city should worship him over those guys. Pretty stupid thinking but that's how Shaq's mind works.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have to admit that was pretty funny.

Thread Information