Page 89 of 160 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 3993
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't understand why so many people keep analyzing Fredette like he's a rookie, though..

It's not an overreaction to 1 preseason game, man has played over 3000 NBA regular season minutes, this isn't his first taste of NBA action..
    The reality of it is, he didn't play worse than McCallum, Simmons, or Williams.

Ray = 17 minutes 3/7 with 3 TOS and 1 assist.
    Jim = 11 min 0/4 with 1 TO and 2 assists.
    Simmons = 23 min 1/6 with 2 TOs and 4 assists. and played completely out of control. I like it kind of, but it's more cringeworthy than Manu game 6
    Williams = 8 min 1/2 with 0 TOS and 0 assists.
    ---------
    Players who did impress were Anderson, and Butler from the "new" crew.
    ----------

The only player that looked good from a vet or returning SPUR was Patty. All around blah night from an effort and intensity standpoint. Doesn't matter if it is a "meaningless" game. They are pros, and should act like it.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you knew what he meant. whats with the ocd?
    I know exactly what he meant. He meant to deflect from Jimmer's terrible game..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Simmons = 23 min 1/6 with 2 TOs and 4 assists. and played completely out of control. I like it kind of, but it's more cringeworthy than Manu game 6
    ---------
    ----------

The only player that looked good from a vet or returning SPUR was Patty. All around blah night from an effort and intensity standpoint. Doesn't matter if it is a "meaningless" game. They are pros, and should act like it.
    I like where you are going with this. What the stats don't show in that first list you make is the defensive impact and overall quality of play of each guy. Ray started up cold, but his defensive effort was consistent. He was the best of the crew you mention defensively. He did a number on Stockton to start the 4th quarter and got hot at the right time. He's not a good playmaker, but had a quick trigger shooting without hesitation, which allowed him to get hot to start the 4th quarter and was part of a come back from behind highlighted by defensive effort, fast pace, and good decisions with the ball.

Simmons struggled on defense against Marco, but Marco is an elite offensive weapon and will run you off screens, take off balance shots and look to score while you are ballwatching. Basically, a terrific test for Simms. He could have gotten a hand up on Marco more, and could have been better, but its part of a learning process for him. He did sprint back in transition and come away with loose balls. Jimmer was inadequate defensively, and had untimely poor play. His 1 TO came within 2 mins of the 4th Q in a close game. He allowed his man to do whatever he wanted. But he at least play with effort, and urgency, he just didn't have a good game. Williams was the worst, just defensively was awful, lack of hustle, lack of sprinting in transition, botching rotations to give up a wide open 3 to Marco that probably iced the game, dribbling the ball aimlessly, looking lost, just horrible. Based on this game, Williams be gone.

Anderson and Butler were good all around, at both ends. Anderson of course was the gem. Caused a lot of deflections, came away with loose balls, kept his man in front of him, overall on defense much better than anyone gives him credit for, and offensively, took control of the game when he needed to, set others up for good shots, played off the ball well, and wasn't ball dominant. He was excellent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know exactly what he meant. He meant to deflect from Jimmer's terrible game..
    Or continue trolling the thread with his one-note caricature of a player-fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The game looked very simple for Butler. It was so obvious he's a vet. Meanwhile, Jimmer struggled to keep up with John Stockton's unknown son.
    That was interesting when he came in I thought this will be a good chance for him to go against a guy he has a size advantage over and be able to match athletically, but Stock Jnr torched him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone else notice his role eye at ude when Boban missed his pass?

The guy is one of the worst players in the league with an Ego bigger than the himalayas.

We don't need two Tony Parker in the team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone else notice his role eye at ude when Boban missed his pass?

The guy is one of the worst players in the league with an Ego bigger than the himalayas.

We don't need two Tony Parker in the team
    I did notice that. I hope it was just nerves. If what Ditty said was true, he's had a bad camp so far. It would be understandable for him to be annoyed to see a guy with a guaranteed spot fumble away one of Jimmer's two or three decent plays of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't Help that the best player in the team doesn't like him too..

Kawhi Flat out ignored him in the game and refused to even communicate in one occasion against the kings.

Aztecs hated Jimmer and his "en led at ude". I'm sure Kawhi still thinks of him the same way.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't Help that the best player in the team doesn't like him too..

Kawhi Flat out ignored him in the game and refused to even communicate in one occasion against the kings.

Aztecs hated Jimmer and his "en led at ude". I'm sure Kawhi still thinks of him the same way.

Then it shows KL's maturity level, lack of leadership, and that he's not for the team. Don't know why you would be happy about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I am 100% happy with that.

I don't want jimmer any close to a spurs bench.

It wasn't really Just Kawhi...Out of all the New guys, he was the one that looked lost the most..None of the guys in the court connected with him...BY FAR

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I am 100% happy with that.

I don't want jimmer any close to a spurs bench.

It wasn't really Just Kawhi...Out of all the New guys, he was the one that looked lost the most..None of the guys in the court connected with him...BY FAR
    Right, but even if he was the worst player. Why would you want our best player to be a loser.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

One has to be a certified Jimmer hater / d-bag to say such nonsense. Jimmer is one of the humblest guys in the league. Too humble, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One has to be a certified Jimmer hater / d-bag to say such nonsense. Jimmer is one of the humblest guys in the league. Too humble, imo.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've already signed Butler.
    not to a guaranteed contract though, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he has much to be humble about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he has much to be humble about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like where you are going with this. What the stats don't show in that first list you make is the defensive impact and overall quality of play of each guy. Ray started up cold, but his defensive effort was consistent. He was the best of the crew you mention defensively... He's not a good playmaker, but had a quick trigger shooting without hesitation, which allowed him to get hot to start the 4th quarter and was part of a come back from behind highlighted by defensive effort, fast pace, and good decisions with the ball.

Simmons struggled on defense against Marco, but... a terrific test for Simms... He did sprint back in transition and come away with loose balls. Jimmer was inadequate defensively, and had untimely poor play... Williams was the worst, just defensively was awful, lack of hustle, lack of sprinting in transition, botching rotations to give up a wide open 3 to Marco that probably iced the game, dribbling the ball aimlessly, looking lost, just horrible. Based on this game, Williams be gone.

Anderson and Butler were good all around, at both ends. Anderson of course was the gem. Caused a lot of deflections, came away with loose balls, kept his man in front of him, overall on defense much better than anyone gives him credit for, and offensively, took control of the game when he needed to, set others up for good shots, played off the ball well, and wasn't ball dominant. He was excellent.
    I missed the game, so I am glad for your evaluations. I have not really seen McCallum play, but your assessment worries me. I think we do need a backup for Tony that is a truer point guard than Patty, or apparently Ray.

Contrary to at least one commentator in this thread, I believe that Simmons, not Jimmer, was the player brought in to be mentored by Manu. I hope that Manu can show Simmons how to play with greater control without losing his aggressive edge, essentially mirroring Manu's own development.

I am not surprised but very gratified to see you and several others giving Kyle good reviews. I have moderate expectations for Kyle, but very high hopes. I also think he could help Simmons learn to play more within himself.

I thought Reggie played exactly as you described last season. He is a long-overdue former Spur.

What was your take on Boban?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I missed the game, so I am glad for your evaluations. I have not really seen McCallum play, but your assessment worries me. I think we do need a backup for Tony that is a truer point guard than Patty, or apparently Ray.

Contrary to at least one commentator in this thread, I believe that Simmons, not Jimmer, was the player brought in to be mentored by Manu. I hope that Manu can show Simmons how to play with greater control without losing his aggressive edge, essentially mirroring Manu's own development.

I am not surprised but very gratified to see you and several others giving Kyle good reviews. I have moderate expectations for Kyle, but very high hopes. I also think he could help Simmons learn to play more within himself.

I thought Reggie played exactly as you described last season. He is a long-overdue former Spur.

What was your take on Boban?
    Personally, I liked Boban. He is surprisingly mobile for a guy that size, and was not trailing behind or anything. He's very big, with very long arms and very strong. He is intimidating, and caused many shots to be redirected then collected as loose balls or a rebound by someone on the perimeter. He will not be bullied. I thought he contained PnR well, bc he has just enormous size and can stand far back and still get a hand up if he needs to. He takes up a lot of space, and can turn with reasonable speed to roll, has good footwork in that regard, and also in defending PnR. The Spurs looked - to me- like they were trying the "wall" defense when Boban was in. I specifically noticed both Kyle and Ray contain Rudy Gay and Stockton respectively one on one by not giving any straight line drive. The ballhandler was only channeled to Boban in a PnR situation and I thought Boban did a good job when someone got to the rim. The scheme they were using gave him enough time to make adequate contests, his defensive presence was very important in the comebacks.

The bad is rebounding. He doesn't jump and just takes up space with his size and his strength. Not a big rebounder for a guy that size. I would consider it a weakness. He's so large that it might not have been an issue in Europe, but in this game Willie Cauley Stein came up with an offensive rebound in the last Kings possession, when the Spurs needed to get a stop down 1 I believe, and at that point the game was lost. The quickness and athleticism of some guys like Willie Cauley Stein and maybe the Tristan Thompsons of the world, meaning guys who go after offensive rebounds hard, and who are athletic and quick enough to get that rebound even when you think they are out of the play is something he is unused to. He needs to box out these guys hard and needs awareness and fundamentals to combat that athleticism, but if he can figure it out, he'll be adequate at least in boxing them out, bc he's massive and strong. Someone else is going to have to go for that rebound as well though.

Offensively, he was touted as having good hands, but he had the ball knocked away. He probably needs work on shielding the ball, holding it up higher and guys should probably lob the ball to him, not throw bounce passes.

Concerning Ray, I didn't see talented passing from him but that first unit was all out of sorts TBH, only Patty looked good. Kawhi had too many iso and didn't set others up. LMA was out of sorts and also too many iso, only had a few shots out of PnP. Danny was klutzy. Just not good play. Regardless, Ray is more of a combo guard. What I liked about him, was his defensive effort and he takes care of the ball under pressure. He's athletic and with size to defend well, and has a quick shot. Whether his shooting will hold we'll see, but he was not afraid to shoot and has a fast trigger, which CoJo didn't have for example and messed up spacing when playing him. Ray is aggressive with his shot if he's open and you want that. I didn't expect Ray to be some terrific playmaker so I am not disappointed. He could be better setting others up if he had chemistry with them, at least setting up simple plays, but that unit was out of sorts.

The second unit was better but it was bc they played at a hectic pace and Simmons and Anderson are gifted passers, Ray was quick moving the ball ahead and making passes in transition. You could say he struggles in half court sets.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 10-11-2015 at 01:41 AM.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not to a guaranteed contract though, right?
    Right, but there would be no reason to sign Butler in the first place were there not a contingency for keeping him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bad is rebounding. He doesn't jump and just takes up space with his size and his strength. Not a big rebounder for a guy that size. I would consider it a weakness. He's so large that it might not have been an issue in Europe, but in this game Willie Cauley Stein came up with an offensive rebound in the last Kings possession, when the Spurs needed to get a stop down 1 I believe, and at that point the game was lost. The quickness and athleticism of some guys like Willie Cauley Stein and maybe the Tristan Thompsons of the world, meaning guys who go after offensive rebounds hard, and who are athletic and quick enough to get that rebound even when you think they are out of the play is something he is unused to. He needs to box out these guys hard and needs awareness and fundamentals to combat that athleticism, but if he can figure it out, he'll be adequate at least in boxing them out, bc he's massive and strong. Someone else is going to have to go for that rebound as well though.

In all fairness to the Bobbinator, in that last play he was defending the ball handler in P&R beetween David Stockton & WC Stein, focused in deterring the penetration. It worked quite well, the shot was funked badly by his intimidation, but as the result of that defense, his rebounding position became compromised & WC Stein took really good advantage of that. Yes he is not all that athletic, but that offensive rebound was not really his responsibility, others have failed badly to box out WC Stein in that possession. If Kawhi was there as the SF instead of Williams or Simmons, i bet my rear that the ball would have been secured definitely.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

---------
    ----------

Ok, but Jimmer has played over 3000 minutes in the NBA, we already know what he can do..he was a lottery pick, he has been given plenty of opportunities..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heres hoping he gets cut soon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the biggest embarrassment in ST history is this thread being 75+ pages..i'am ashamed of my 2 posts pointing it out..

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, but Jimmer has played over 3000 minutes in the NBA, we already know what he can do..he was a lottery pick, he has been given plenty of opportunities..
    By that logic, the Spurs should cut Ray and keep Jimmer, who has better per 36's.

Thread Information