Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOAT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, it's no hate on Pop, I still think Phil was better. Sure, Phil had extremely talented rosters, but managing those egos, threepeated 3 times, and went back to back the other time, just really impressive, and he got that done in 20 seasons. Think about it this way: as a coach, he had more seasons winning a championship than seasons he did not win a championship. That's more than just pure luck, IMO.

And yes, he's a terrible GM/Manager.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I should also add that being #2 in the history of the game is nothing to sneeze at, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But he's not #2. He's #1. There's a reason Phil isn't. Phil's teams all fell apart. Pop? Not so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But he's not #2. He's #1. There's a reason Phil isn't. Phil's teams all fell apart. Pop? Not so much.
    Are we talking about Duncan or Pop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The GOAT.

Anyone who thinks otherwise and calls himself a Spurs fan is just a hater.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole great player - great coach dynamic applies to almost every great coach, tbh... I don't see how it would have to diminish one guy and not the other.

Phil absolutely had stacked teams, and Pop also had 3 hall of famers during his run, two of them incredibly humble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we talking about Duncan or Pop?
    Only one of those is the all time wins leader as a coach. This is pretty weak trolling tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it trolling for calling Pop out for never winning back to back or winning when the expectation was to win. PJ clearly has him beat in that regard. He was like 48-0 when winning the first game of a playoff series. How many times did Pop get backdoor swept. Or how about losing to an eighth seed as the number one seed. Pop and his simulator crew is just not on the level of PJ in terms of finishing the job. Pop just doesn't have that killer instinct that PJ had.
    Even the GOAT has someone else beating him in some regards. If you go into a gold mine looking for dirt, you'll find it.

It's just too bad that Phil didn't go somewhere like Seattle or Minnesota and make them super dynasties eh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Chicago, Phil had the GOAT. In LA, he had Shaq & Kobe, not to mention the advantage of coaching in a place players want to be.
    But the most telling thing about the Phil/Pop debate is the Pop coaching/front office tree that has spread throughout the league. Amazing!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll obliterate Popovich's fake legacy with one factoid most around here probably didn't know about. Dude was 2-22 as a college head coach. If that doesn't prove, with absolute certainty, he was a coattailer of Duncan's legacy, I don't know what does. He must have sucked a good for Larry Brown to get any sort of chance in the NBA.
    That's 6 consecutive lottery seasons eatin' at ya boy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only one of those is the all time wins leader as a coach. This is pretty weak trolling tbh.
    No trolling, just an opinion. I didn't attack anybody that thinks Pop is better. Just stating my reasons, I'm fine if people disagree, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No trolling, just an opinion. I didn't attack anybody that thinks Pop is better. Just stating my reasons, I'm fine if people disagree, tbh...
    Fair

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing you're thinking I'm somebody I'm not. I just despise Gregg Popovich for being an overrated sack of . Replace him with Carlisle and we win 2-3 more rings.
    This is a funny account.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2014 alone is greater than anything Phil ever did.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even the GOAT has someone else beating him in some regards. If you go into a gold mine looking for dirt, you'll find it.

It's just too bad that Phil didn't go somewhere like Seattle or Minnesota and make them super dynasties eh?
    I'll give you that Pop is no doubt better at player development and developing a system. But no coaches takes teams in Seattle and Minesota and makes them dynasties (I'm guessing you're referring to small market teams as there's no team in Seattle right now). Don't forget about HOF players like TD, Parker, and Ginobili. And Bowen while not a HOF was clearly a dominant defender. However if we're considering just getting a team to win when you have the expectations PJ is clearly the best. If Pop was good at that he would have back to back by now. Another example the Celtics would probably have been a lot better this season. Teams wilt all the time under those expectations. Players say all the time winning back to back is the hardest thing to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, it's no hate on Pop, I still think Phil was better. Sure, Phil had extremely talented rosters, but managing those egos, threepeated 3 times, and went back to back the other time, just really impressive, and he got that done in 20 seasons. Think about it this way: as a coach, he had more seasons winning a championship than seasons he did not win a championship. That's more than just pure luck, IMO.

And yes, he's a terrible GM/Manager.
    Deport. Build the wall. MAGA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll give you that Pop is no doubt better at player development and developing a system. But no coaches takes teams in Seattle and Minesota and makes them dynasties (I'm guessing you're referring to small market teams as there's no team in Seattle right now). Don't forget about HOF players like TD, Parker, and Ginobili. And Bowen while not a HOF was clearly a dominant defender. However if we're considering just getting a team to win when you have the expectations PJ is clearly the best. If Pop was good at that he would have back to back by now. Another example the Celtics would probably have been a lot better this season. Teams wilt all the time under those expectations. Players say all the time winning back to back is the hardest thing to do.
    When Phil Jackson was coaching the Bulls and later the Lakers there was a team in Seattle.

The attributes you assigned to coach Pop are what defines a coach. Managing personalities of the most talented individuals in the history of the game it's more counselor than coach. He had one system that was the triangle and it wasn't even his. Pop has had many systems and has gotten many people to the ring and people like Parker would never have been Hall of Famers with any other coach in the league especially Phil Jackson. Bruce Bowen would not have been successful under field Jackson's system. Do you think coach Pop could have done well with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen or Kobe and Shaq?

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is this even a debate? What really baffles me is how people never mention Phil Jackson's mastery of complaining/manipulating NBA officials. Literally any time this guy would complain in the media, the next game the Lakers lived at the foul line. As another poster mentioned, PJ didn't necessarily exceed expectation, but he met them, something Popovich did not do. With PJ, we're looking at 8 or 9 rings, I firmly believe that to be true. 06 we don't lose to the ing Mavs, I can tell you that much. A soft jump shooter like Dirk would not be living at the foul line with Phil Jackson as our head coach.
    If the entire Spurs franchise were based out of Los Angeles instead of San Antonio... That same Spurs team, with Pop at the helm, doesn't lose to the Mavs in '06.

Chew on the implications of that statement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greatest coach of all time!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has a sustainable system and approach. Phil’s approach was
    short term and ended in disarray. Pop is a real coach. I’d guess his relationships with former
    players is far healthier than Phil’s.
    Pop gets my vote, but, I’m a Spurs fan. Go figure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst series adjustment coach ever, tbh?

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great coach.

These players are horrible. Mentally weak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any coach that had the big 3 for most of their career would have been the most winning coach in the NBA ... TBH

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any coach that had the big 3 for most of their career would have been the most winning coach in the NBA ... TBH

Thread Information