Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a great play Pop drew up for Danny Green's game-winner. Common sense said to give the ball to TP or TD but Pop's outside-the-box thinking was genius. When attacking the Lakers defense, their biggest weakness is Kobe's aimless roaming. He is ALWAYS looking to play the passing lanes and really just isn't good at navigating around screens.

So on the design of the play, Pop's play first took advantage of Kobe looking to make a play off the ball. Then it took advantage of Kobe being slow to get around screens. The result was a wide, wide open three-pointer. Great call, Pop

And let's not forget the defense. Pop didn't flinch all game when Kobe was lighting up Green. For the final two minutes, he switched Leonard onto Kobe ... and dealing with Leonard's length seemed to throw Kobe's rhythm off. Pop's patience in not using the Leonard switch until the very end also ended up being genius.

Hall of Fame coach doing Hall of Fame things, to be honest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great

Now stop playing ing Matt Bonner in the playoffs and ing up the rotations in a crucial WCF game 5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or he could of put Leonard on him to start the second half and we win by 10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well said! Fantastic move by POP!

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a great play Pop drew up for Danny Green's game-winner. Common sense said to give the ball to TP or TD but Pop's outside-the-box thinking was genius. When attacking the Lakers defense, their biggest weakness is Kobe's aimless roaming. He is ALWAYS looking to play the passing lanes and really just isn't good at navigating around screens.

So on the design of the play, Pop's play first took advantage of Kobe looking to make a play off the ball. Then it took advantage of Kobe being slow to get around screens. The result was a wide, wide open three-pointer. Great call, Pop

And let's not forget the defense. Pop didn't flinch all game when Kobe was lighting up Green. For the final two minutes, he switched Leonard onto Kobe ... and dealing with Leonard's length seemed to throw Kobe's rhythm off. Pop's patience in not using the Leonard switch until the very end also ended up being genius.

Hall of Fame coach doing Hall of Fame things, to be honest.
    All the credit in the world to Pop. Let's hope he does the same things in the playoffs when the team is desperate for a win. Last time I remember him doing this was when he put Jacque Vaughn under the basket so the Suns couldn't leave him alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    goat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the best coach of my lifetime at drawing up game winning set plays, tbh..

I also like how he opted against using hack-a-Howard..it'll be part of the strategy if the Spurs face LA in the playoffs, especially if LA's offense improves under Pringles..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I don't think I saw a minute of the Red Sprockette tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing Tiago over 10 min was also a good decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And then everyone praising Pop right now will be calling for his head in the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont forget that great play he drew up for Matt bonner to sit on the bench

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As tony just told NBATV, Pop designed the play to take advantage KB's "cheat on defense by staying in the paint." That's a tremendous game plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are these signs that the old Pop is back? I hope the focus stays on D. I'll take lower scoring games over the 110 point games. As long as it's all about the Defense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he can outcoach Bernie Bickerstaff but can he outcoach Mike D'An...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner - DNP CD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop didnt screw up in the playoffs

yaayyyyyyyyy..............

Bipolar Spurs fans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont forget that great play he drew up for Matt bonner to sit on the bench
    I'm still laughing at this haha

Shootin' like Ed O'Bannon Darius McCrary's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TP completely validating timvp's take on NBA TV

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner should never play against the Lakers tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner should never play again
    fify

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fantastic call by Pop to run a play for Green. In listening to TP's post-game comments on NBATV, he indicated that "we all know Kobe likes to cheat off his man and stay in the paint", which is EXACTLY what happened. Bryant got nudged off a pick and was late getting out on Green. I think Kobe was as surprised as anyone that the play was ran for Green. Excellent chess move by the master - Pop.

Another brilliant move by Pop was the insertion of Splitter into the starting lineup. A move likely made to help deal with the Fakers length. This is something that many here in the forum, myself included, have been pleading for for a couple of seasons now. While Splitter is just seemingly destined for a regular date with foul trouble, he was active on the offensive glass, defended Gasol as best he could and got some garbage baskets on putbacks. He even managed to draw a couple of key offensive fouls on Howard in the 4th quarter. While he still needs to be more aggressive, he did his job.

The last brilliant move by Pop was giving Bonner a DNP-CD. In my opinion, Bonner wasn't missed at all. The thought of him trying to go up against either Pau Gasol or Jordan Hill is a frightening one. It's a good thing we didn't have to endure it. I could certainly stand to see a few DNPs for the big red-head.

Big to the head coach for this game!

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no problem with Bonner getting minutes, what I have a problem with is him getting ROTATION minutes. His minutes should correlate with how many baskets he makes. His time on the floor should result in one of two things: Increased three point attempts or a e in points in the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another brilliant move by Pop was the insertion of Splitter into the starting lineup. A move likely made to help deal with the Fakers length.
    This is not new. Splitter started 2 games last season. Both of them were against the Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information