Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best political move for Dems seems to be to let Republicans do what they will with the new justice and just hammer the message home that the Senate is spending all of their time on an unpopular SCOTUS confirmation instead of a new stimulus package. Any impeachment carries more political risk than it's worth, IMO.
    What penalty, if any, did the Dems pay for last one?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I honestly wonder if Trump and Congress would have stacked the court in 2017 if this scenario happened.

Not that it's an argument against it.
    That requires nixing the filibuster altogether, which I don't think McConnell would have done to stack the courts when he still had a SCOTUS majority (even if Ginsberg and Breyer step down in 2013, McConnell is blocking Garland in 2016 and keeping the conservative majority). The filibuster is always going to help the party that wants to keep the status quo over the party that wants reform/change, which conservatives aren't going to nuke it just to expand a SCOTUS majority. For all the MAGA talk about how John Roberts is really a liberal , he's the most conservative swing vote the court has had since pre great depression, not something McConnell would nix the filibuster to change.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    it's been reported that Senate rules require impeachments to be taken up before nominations can go forward; if true, that's a tool in the box.
    Honestly I didn't know that, might have been a detail worth noting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly I didn't know that, might have been a detail worth noting
    Widely remarked on over the weekend, surprised you hadn't heard.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What penalty, if any, did the Dems pay for last one?
    It's just a guess, but Republicans have already seeded the message that Democrat impeachment hearings are a stalling tactic to progress, including progress towards stimulating the economy and helping small businesses survive the pandemic.

Another impeachment gifts the GOP that message again and gives them an out on delaying stimulus to hypocritically ram through a SCOTUS judge less than two months before an election. The GOP message now becomes "Dems doing another impeachment instead of helping the economy."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there's a mandatory amount of deliberation time for SCOTUS picks even without the filibuster.
    wouldnt they be able to vote to change the rules if they really wanted to?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple majority vote, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i put absolutely nothing past cocaine mitch

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    you’re trying to semantic and anecdote this argument. I don’t know how old you are, but it shouldn’t require this explanation.

i don’t care about Hillary. This is a long standing issue. Folks complain about the shift to the right. It didn’t happen in a vacuum. It took a long time to get there.

too many god damned lefty’s have sat out for decades, and let this happen. The pubs figured out a long time ago they have no ability to govern. They don’t. Their mission was, is, and will continue to be, to destroy the apparatus.

too many liberals have sat back, and continued to observe norms that no longer exist, choosing to moralize and lament and false equivalence their way into absolving themselves of responsibility to take their country back.

it doesn’t pay at all to be the adults in the room any more. Hopefully, the people that fall under the giant umbrella that is the Democratic Party May finally comprehend that, even though it’s too late and you have ed over all women poc’s and lgbtq persons for the next generation.
    you still keep lecturing me as if I'm personally responsible. I'd bet my life you're a boomer the way you get off on sanctimoniously yelling at random millennials about how they ruined everything.

Voter turnout is a two way street, you assume the horse premise the candidate and his/her party and has absolutely no duty to drive voter turnout and that voters should just be expected to turn out in high numbers. Most of the young progressives you're autistically screeching about couldn't even vote prior to 2008. Is it their fault Kerry and Gore lost?

I agree the shift to the right happened gradually over 40 years. During that time, the Democratic Party did nothing but cave on ideals, sell itself to the highest bidder and watch as Republicans outsmarted them at every turn. No grassroots movement at the local level. Liberals sitting out and not voting in elections wasn't the cause of the country's shift to the right, it was the effect. When the party ran good candidates who even pretended to be progressive, they got turnout. When the party ran ty candidates who focused their entire campaign on trying to win moderate Republicans, progressives didn't turn out. Biden I actually think is running on a relatively progressive platform but he could be doing a better job advertising it.

Liberal progressives didn't choose to sit on the sidelines, the Democratic Party moved them to the sidelines. You seem to think they owe whoever the candidate with a D next to his/her name a vote but that's never going to happen and no amount of internet vote shaming is going to change that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's been reported that Senate rules require impeachments to be taken up before nominations can go forward; if true, that's a tool in the box.
    this right here shows just how bias and pathetic you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this right here shows just how bias and pathetic you are.
    It's absolutely true that I think the GOP deserves to be burned to the ground for supporting Trump, but I don't really see how it's biased or pathetic to refer to factual reporting on the Senate rules.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Simple majority vote, right?
    IMO they should make McConnell have to change as many rules as possible so red state senators like Manchin/Tester can more easily justify supporting the nuclear option. The goal should be to stop the seat from getting filled, and the consolation prize should be enough political capital to nix the filibuster if they can.

The other possibility is boycotting the hearings. Getting 51 senators for a roll call could be challenging with 47 senators boycotting and 20 more having to split time between DC and their home state in the last month of a campaign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's absolutely true that I think the GOP deserves to be burned to the ground for supporting Trump, but I don't really see how it's biased or pathetic to refer to factual reporting on the Senate rules.
    it's pathetic because you want to curtail a scotus appointee with another sham impeachment. it's totally bias & pathetic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just a guess, but Republicans have already seeded the message that Democrat impeachment hearings are a stalling tactic to progress, including progress towards stimulating the economy and helping small businesses survive the pandemic.

Another impeachment gifts the GOP that message again and gives them an out on delaying stimulus to hypocritically ram through a SCOTUS judge less than two months before an election. The GOP message now becomes "Dems doing another impeachment instead of helping the economy."
    What if the threat of a wave of impeachments and a one-sided continuing budget resolution gets the Dems a better deal on helping the economy and a deal with McConnell not to move on filling the SCOTUS vacancy until after inauguration?

Not even worth trying?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's pathetic because you want to curtail a scotus appointee with another sham impeachment. it's totally bias & pathetic.
    I don't care whthe Dems do to prevent it.

Turnabout is fair play. You cheered when Mitch stole a nomination from Obama, now you cry when the other side wants to do the same to Trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care whthe Dems do to prevent it.

Turnabout is fair play. You cheered when Mitch stole a nomination from Obama, now you cry when the other side wants to do the same to Trump.
    i literally didn't cheer because i wasn't looking into politics back then.

what other fairytales are you going to make up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO they should make McConnell have to change as many rules as possible so red state senators like Manchin/Tester can more easily justify supporting the nuclear option. The goal should be to stop the seat from getting filled, and the consolation prize should be enough political capital to nix the filibuster if they can.

The other possibility is boycotting the hearings. Getting 51 senators for a roll call could be challenging with 47 senators boycotting and 20 more having to split time between DC and their home state in the last month of a campaign.
    There are lots of things the Dems could do. I hope they don't roll over on their backs again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are lots of things the Dems could do. I hope they don't roll over on their backs again.
    it's worked out great for kamala though!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i literally didn't cheer because i wasn't looking into politics back then.

what other fairytales are you going to make up?
    My bad, I didn't take you for a stickler about democratic norms and procedural fairness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My bad, I didn't take you for a stickler about democratic norms and procedural fairness.
    whatever you spineless loser

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    When McConnell releases a statement about moving forward with a nomination literally the same night RBG dies, it makes me think he's trying to bait the Democrats into something. McConnell is usually more sneaky and cunning, his press release on Friday had more of a direct "suck my , liberals" tone to it.

The fact Trump is waiting a week to announce his nominee makes me wonder more if they have a political agenda beyond just ramming a judge through as quickly as possible. There's a very short list of female federalist society SCOTUS candidates, it doesn't take a full week to pick one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McConnell's court-packing scheme is at bottom an attempt to prolong minority GOP rule and overturn the will of Democratic legislative majorities in the states for decades to come.

The GOP is the anti-democracy party.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repugs simply doing doing what the Capitalistic oligarchy pays them to do

Capitalists' $Bs are behind the corruption of the Repugs, and to similar extent the Dems.

And the corrupted, deeply partisan rightwingnutjob SCOTUS is also directly aiding the Capitalists' coup d'etat (bloodless so far)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you still keep lecturing me as if I'm personally responsible. I'd bet my life you're a boomer the way you get off on sanctimoniously yelling at random millennials about how they ruined everything.

Voter turnout is a two way street, you assume the horse premise the candidate and his/her party and has absolutely no duty to drive voter turnout and that voters should just be expected to turn out in high numbers. Most of the young progressives you're autistically screeching about couldn't even vote prior to 2008. Is it their fault Kerry and Gore lost?

I agree the shift to the right happened gradually over 40 years. During that time, the Democratic Party did nothing but cave on ideals, sell itself to the highest bidder and watch as Republicans outsmarted them at every turn. No grassroots movement at the local level. Liberals sitting out and not voting in elections wasn't the cause of the country's shift to the right, it was the effect. When the party ran good candidates who even pretended to be progressive, they got turnout. When the party ran ty candidates who focused their entire campaign on trying to win moderate Republicans, progressives didn't turn out. Biden I actually think is running on a relatively progressive platform but he could be doing a better job advertising it.

Liberal progressives didn't choose to sit on the sidelines, the Democratic Party moved them to the sidelines. You seem to think they owe whoever the candidate with a D next to his/her name a vote but that's never going to happen and no amount of internet vote shaming is going to change that.
    Again, you miss the point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whatever you spineless loser
    so Joey, when you were sucking guys off for bumps, did you ever think about what a piece of of a human being you are?

Or were you too dumb to realize, because it’s second nature for you?

Thread Information