My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ding ding

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fascist TX and other Repugs use the power of the state to punish political opposition, eg, companies that support BDS or invest in ESG

eg,
    DeSantis Goes to College

Florida Colleges Ordered To Report All Spending and Resources Activities Related to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Critical Race Theory Initiatives

He sees the teaching of critical race, an academic framework that reconsiders aspects of law and society from the point of view of race,

as an attack on societal values that he favors.

He also signaled last week that he will continue legal moves to take over the legal district operating around Disney World after Disney officials criticized him over these policies.

rather than worrying about students reading below grade level, DeSantis has put his effort behind replacing school board members who want to ban books that mention race.

under pressure, real or perceived, from DeSantis policies,

professors who teach about critical race theory are busily canceling courses,

modifying their teaching or changing the language used in their classes.

Amid economic pressures, schools are stingier with granting academic tenure,

and these professors are finding it harder to resist laws banning certain racial topics,

the law “protects the open exchange of ideas” (italics in the original) by prohibiting teachers from “forcing discriminatory concepts on students.” orwellian newspeak

https://www.dcreport.org/2023/01/16/desantis-goes-to-college/

Would be surprised is TX fascists don't do exactly the same

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are dedicated DeSantis threads, dude. Whatcha got on the Texas Lege?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Ding ding

I’m fine with this.

Foreign en ies buying farm land has become a real problem in the US, the TX leg putting a stop to it is actually a productive exercise (unlike the stupid the TX leg usually works on).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are dedicated DeSantis threads, dude. Whatcha got on the Texas Lege?
    TX mimics FL, FL mimics TX

baggery is a supreme Confederate value

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m fine with this.

Foreign en ies buying farm land has become a real problem in the US, the TX leg putting a stop to it is actually a productive exercise (unlike the stupid the TX leg usually works on).
    well, it's not free trade, whatever it is. no doubt it's part of the GOP's general realignment around nationalistic themes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, it's not free trade, whatever it is. no doubt it's part of the GOP's general realignment around nationalistic themes.
    Bill Gates homes more land than anybody else, claims it's not sinister.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Already seeing ads for adelson's widow's plot to get her hands on our gambling money.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m fine with this.

Correct

Neocon dems acting like isolationism is a bad thing when isolationism, anti-war, and being the party of non free trade / pro USA labor union and protectionism, was what got the blue dog dems elected for many decades

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Correct

Neocon dems acting like isolationism is a bad thing when isolationism, anti-war, and being the party of non free trade / pro USA labor union and protectionism, was what got the blue dog dems elected for many decades
    Not wanting foreign en ies to have control over the country’s farm supply doesn’t even make you an isolationist, it just means you’re not a soulless globalist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats fine. since when have you considered unmitigated free trade a good thing. if they do a good thing, thats good. even here in Virginia. no fan of youngkin, but at least he's been pushing for yimby policies to address housing costs/homelessness which is undoubtedly good.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Is it good we don't have free trade with Iran? I think so.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The bottom line for me is that if US nationals tried buying a bunch of Chinese farmland, the CCP would tell them to pound sand. We shouldn’t be less protective of our farmland than the Chinese are of theirs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m fine with this.

Next step would be not allowing the Mormon church to buy up farm land tbh. Any organization that gets to avoid taxes shouldn’t be able to buy up heaps of land from people/companies that actually pay in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m fine with this.

It's also a way to corner the poor, uneducated rural population, which is the main GOP voting block, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not wanting foreign en ies to have control over the country’s farm supply doesn’t even make you an isolationist, it just means you’re not a soulless globalist.
    Right

Like Bill Gates the ultra woke pro-NWO democrat ultra globalist dystopianist that wants us to eat bugs and sell us off to China for profit

We did away with the Bushes, McCain and Romney a long time ago. Soulless globalism is the Democrats' turd sandwich now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [I'm] no fan of youngkin
    Why not?

Be very specific.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Why not?

Be very specific.
    - He’s an anti abortion nut
    - supports school choice programs that do nothing for 95% of families/students and ultimately just reduce the tax burden for rich assholes who’d send their kids to private schools with our without vouchers (all the empirical data on school choice shows that it has minimal impact on private/public school enrollments)
    - he’s a trickle down economics supporter who hired the same economic advisors who helped Sam Brownback destroy Kansas with tax cuts. At one point Youngkin said he wanted to eliminate the VA income tax, then he backpedaled because people in both parties said it was a re ed idea.

your delusions that the GOP is no longer the party obsessed with tax cuts for the rich isn’t based in reality. A tax cut for the rich is the only real legislative accomplishment for Trump when he was in office, and it’s always what the GOP proposes as a solution to every problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - supports school choice programs that do nothing for 95% of families/students and ultimately just reduce the tax burden for rich assholes who’d send their kids to private schools with our without vouchers (all the empirical data on school choice shows that it has minimal impact on private/public school enrollments)
    - he’s a trickle down economics supporter who hired the same economic advisors who helped Sam Brownback destroy Kansas with tax cuts. At one point Youngkin said he wanted to eliminate the VA income tax, then he backpedaled because people in both parties said it was a re ed idea.
    That would be a good thing and benefit all, not just the wealthy. SALT income tax in general should be federally abolished, especially since it's non deductible over 10k which is very small in the grand scheme of things. It would encourage more travel and relocation and less division between the Texas' and Florida's and Tennessee's of the world vs. the Minnesota's, Oregon's and Virginia's of the world. Heck Oregon and Washington is a bizarre dynamism, just living in, say, Vancouver WA is a tax life hack.

- supports school choice programs that do nothing for 95% of families/students and ultimately just reduce the tax burden for rich assholes who’d send their kids to private schools with our without vouchers (all the empirical data on school choice shows that it has minimal impact on private/public school enrollments).
    It's a growing popular trend and it is both fair and practical. It doesn't just benefit the rich; it also benefits middle class families who feel like their children are being indocrinated by counterculture in public school and would like to send their children to learn a more old school curriculum and culture without having to pay double (pay school property tax for other people's kids to go to woke public school while also paying expensive private school tuition). School choice is growing and become law in several states recently including purple states like WI and AZ. Just like marijuana it will in time become law in most states. It's a majority opinion popular proposal.

- He’s an anti abortion nut.
    Which isn't relevant because he's done nothing to ban abortion or actually enact legislation to reduce the right and freedom for women and girls to get abortions.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    That would be a good thing and benefit all, not just the wealthy. SALT income tax in general should be federally abolished, especially since it's non deductible over 10k which is very small in the grand scheme of things. It would encourage more travel and relocation and less division between the Texas' and Florida's and Tennessee's of the world vs. the Minnesota's, Oregon's and Virginia's of the world. Heck Oregon and Washington is a bizarre dynamism, just living in, say, Vancouver WA is a tax life hack.
    It would wipe out 70% of Virginia’s state budget.

The SALT deduction cap goes away automatically in a few years (another part of the Trump tax scam you rubes never read)

abolishing a state’s ability to raise its own revenue. So much for muh federalism

It's a growing popular trend and it is both fair and practical. It doesn't just benefit the rich; it also benefits middle class families who feel like their children are being indocrinated by counterculture in public school and would like to send their children to learn a more old school curriculum and culture without having to pay double (pay school property tax for other people's kids to go to woke public school while also paying expensive private school tuition). School choice is growing and become law in several states recently including purple states like WI and AZ. Just like marijuana it will in time become law in most states. It's a majority opinion popular proposal.
    Youre just recycling the same ipse dixits without citing a shred of evidence.

The school choice program in Arizona has already resulted in a $300 million budget hole for public schools while over 90% of K-12 students in AZ go to public schools. The program isn’t doing anything to make it so middle class families can afford alternative education if 90% of all students are still in public schools, the data shows that all it’s doing is allowing rich people to take a tax holiday by sending their kids to private schools they would be sending their kids to anyway regardless of school choice, while simultaneously gutting public education that the vast majority of families in the state still rely on.

using an extremely gerrymandered state legislature in WI elected by a minority of the state’s population passing a school choice bill as evidence of school choice being “popular”

Which isn't relevant because he's done nothing to ban abortion or actually enact legislation to reduce the right and freedom for women and girls to get abortions.
    what an intellectually dishonest argument. The only reason he hasn’t done anything to restrict abortion is because the state senate wouldn’t cooperate with it…he’s tried pushing for restrictions and he even got caught on a hot mic saying that he’d want to restrict abortion even more if it wasn’t such a bad campaign issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats fine. since when have you considered unmitigated free trade a good thing. if they do a good thing, thats good. even here in Virginia. no fan of youngkin, but at least he's been pushing for yimby policies to address housing costs/homelessness which is undoubtedly good.
    not sure I see the comparison, what do you think Texas is trying to do and why is that good?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not sure I see the comparison, what do you think Texas is trying to do and why is that good?
    the comparison is that theres another republican head who can be the occasional broken clock

will hunting gave a better explanation than i could about why what texas is doing is good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the comparison is that theres another republican head who can be the occasional broken clock

will hunting gave a better explanation than i could about why what texas is doing is good
    I'm more than willing to agree not letting foreigners control too much productive land is wise, but I tend to doubt that's what the Texas GOP is really driving at. How much farm land in Texas is foreign owned?

Has there been any disadvantage to Texas because of it, or is the problem still more or less conceptual?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm more than willing to agree not letting foreigners control too much productive land is wise, but I tend to doubt that's what the Texas GOP is really driving at.
    dont really care what they're driving at. if these dumbasses do the occasional thing that leads to a good result, ill take the good result

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dont really care what they're driving at. if these dumbasses do the occasional thing that leads to a good result, ill take the good result
    Sounds like my voting strategy.

Thread Information