Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Kawhi get the full five-year max extension. But I'd be disappointed, since the Spurs would absolutely be bidding against themselves by doing so. I hate max extensions for rookie deals. Absolutely hate them. They make no sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop sucking , dude, and read the thread. It would have been stupid as to give him a max extension, which is why they chose not to.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop sucking , dude, and read the thread. It would have been stupid as to give him a max extension, which is why they chose not to.
    Did you just read yourself got.

full five-year max extension. But I'd be disappointed, since the Spurs would absolutely be bidding against themselves by doing so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you just read yourself got.

full five-year max extension. But I'd be disappointed, since the Spurs would absolutely be bidding against themselves by doing so
    Yep, and they did not do it. It's like you keep hitting your head against a wall and laughing when someone points it out.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bidding against themselves means you think PATFO were s ing out too much money got, whether they offered the max or max extension. Read what you put.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bidding against themselves means you think PATFO were s ing out too much money got, whether they offered the max or max extension. Read what you put.
    Yeah, did you read these?

Yeah. So there's no reason to even ask about an extension. Leonard has to know he's getting the max next season.
    Kawhi needs to go ahead and get his money. At this stage, his contract isn't big enough for him to need to or want to give part of it up. Early Duncan wad grabbing every cent he could get.

So long as the Spurs wait until next summer to max out Leonard, they'll be fine financially.
    Yes, but if they're prepared to give Leonard the five-year max, they have nothing to fear.
    Now go find another zipper to scratch.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, did you read these?

Now go find another zipper to scratch.

You're right. I stopped at 5 pages...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ha ha ha!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right. I stopped at 5 pages...

Plenty of threads of me underestimating or downplaying Kawhi for you to choose from. This just happened not to be one.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Plenty of threads of me underestimating or downplaying Kawhi for you to choose from. This just happened not to be one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My initial guess was 4 years/40 million, so 5 years/50 million would be fine. 5 years/80 million sounds like way too much. It'll probably be somewhere in between those two figures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs must see a lot of offensive potential to be throwing around that kind of money. I can't recall the last time a 22yr old got offered that much cash for his defense alone.

Of course I think Kawhi could be a 22-25ppg scorer at his prime, so I see no issue here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    chinook was right. kawhi didnt sign a 5 year extension.

he signed a max contract when he was a RFA. that helped the spurs maneuver around the cap and bring in a second max (LMA). if kawhi had signed a max extension the year before, the spurs would have had zero cap flexibility and wouldn't be able to adjust their plans if he suffered a career altering injury during that last season of his rookie deal

chinook was against the idea of a max extension, not a max contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    chinook was right. kawhi didnt sign a 5 year extension.

he signed a max contract when he was a RFA. that helped the spurs maneuver around the cap and bring in a second max (LMA). if kawhi had signed a max extension the year before, the spurs would have had zero cap flexibility and wouldn't be able to adjust their plans if he suffered a career altering injury during that last season of his rookie deal

chinook was against the idea of a max extension, not a max contract
    Yeah, I hate max extensions for that reasons. At best they're neutral, though if the player has a fragile ego like Jimmy Butler, maybe they made sense. To be fair to dabom, while I thought the Spurs should have been willing to match a max offer, I was not expecting him to play at a max level going into 2014-2015. I though Simmons' prediction was close to Kawhi's true value, and that was blown out the window after Hayward got his max offer from Charlotte. Utah's really regretting not doing with Gordon what SA did with Kawhi.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point in time his offense is just not worthy of the kind of money we are talking about here. If this means the Spurs lose him well then I guess the Spurs lose him.. Do people really think this is a guy you can build around to win more championships with? Right now he is a really good complementary player and that's it.
    Smh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TheyCallMePro looks like a jackass right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They didn't give him max extension. And don't before you say anything, there are dozens of posts in this thread talking about the difference between an extension (which they didn't give) and a new contract (which I wanted them to do instead and which they did).
    I called it first tho ����

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Why am I not surprised to see porker fluffers with some of the worst takes ITT?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    & he's also the 4th option on a championship team, it's a whole different story when he's the 1st or 2nd and expected to consistently deliver offense. What he produced in the finals was definitely not his normal. They were the best games of his life.
    He was the best player in the finals(but you could argue others were) He wasn't the best player on the team throughout the year or even throughout the playoffs.
    He is not superstar for sakes - would not give him max or anything close to it.
    Sorry, but this is way too much money. Kawhi has never been the first, second, or even third option on this team. He won Finals MVP, but Ginobili and Diaw had better a PER than him in the Finals. Furthermore, he's just not a superstar. He simply lacks the elite athleticism and ability to dominate the stat sheet night in and night out. Seriously, this is franchise player money. And Kawhi is NOT the franchise. The Big 3 and Pop are.

I like Kawhi, but in the end, he's just a quality role player on a GREAT team. 8-10 million a year would have been perfectly reasonable. 16.5 million a year is not. That kind of money is for the FIRST option Superstar. And anyone calling Kawhi a SUPERstar is just being foolish. I almost want to agree with Durant now. This is getting out of hand. Kawhi has been great for us, but ultimately he's just another glorious piece in the Spurs system. You put Kawhi on the Milwaukee Bucks and things are way different.
    I like Kahwi, but IMHO he still needs another year to prove himself worthy of $16mil a year.... hopefully this is just a rumor.... if not, hopefully Kahwi proves himself worthy for that type of money.
    Seriously, Kawhi is still extremely shy on the offensive end. He still passes up too many shots and hesitates too much. The Spurs system relieves him of a lot of the offensive burden. Pop even said he never called a single play on offense for Kawhi this year. I believe it. He's not even close to our first option. We'd run a play first for Danny Green at the end of a game instead of Kawhi--and that's no joke.

5 years/80 million is superstar money. Kawhi is not even close to a superstar. Kawhi should get something like 4 years/48 million. Anything more is ridiculous. And the Spurs need to wait until NEXT summer to extend him, so that the open market can properly determine his value before the Spurs do something stupid and give him something like 5 years/80 million.... I guarantee you no team will pay him that kind of money after being in the Spurs system for the last 4 years. That will in turn make it much easier and more cost-effective for us to sign him, and he can sign a reasonable contract fitting of his status as a very quality role player on a great team.
    If this mother er wants the Spurs to win he better not demand the max.
    Kawhi is great, but he does not deserve to be the highest paid player on a championship team full of accomplished veterans.

A salary of 12M/yr is fair for all parties involved. And his salary would be slightly less than that of Tony Parker's.
    He was only on a championship team because a load of people took less than their market value.
    Well, the last 3 games is the most expensive showcase in the history of the NBA.

I like him, but he aint worth that much. He was a good roleplayer before the 3 games, but you ignore those 3 games (which granted are huge huge) he isnt 80 million player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    & he's also the 4th option on a championship team, it's a whole different story when he's the 1st or 2nd and expected to consistently deliver offense. What he produced in the finals was definitely not his normal. They were the best games of his life.
    He was the best player in the finals(but you could argue others were) He wasn't the best player on the team throughout the year or even throughout the playoffs.
    He is not superstar for sakes - would not give him max or anything close to it.
    Sorry, but this is way too much money. Kawhi has never been the first, second, or even third option on this team. He won Finals MVP, but Ginobili and Diaw had better a PER than him in the Finals. Furthermore, he's just not a superstar. He simply lacks the elite athleticism and ability to dominate the stat sheet night in and night out. Seriously, this is franchise player money. And Kawhi is NOT the franchise. The Big 3 and Pop are.

I like Kawhi, but in the end, he's just a quality role player on a GREAT team. 8-10 million a year would have been perfectly reasonable. 16.5 million a year is not. That kind of money is for the FIRST option Superstar. And anyone calling Kawhi a SUPERstar is just being foolish. I almost want to agree with Durant now. This is getting out of hand. Kawhi has been great for us, but ultimately he's just another glorious piece in the Spurs system. You put Kawhi on the Milwaukee Bucks and things are way different.
    I like Kahwi, but IMHO he still needs another year to prove himself worthy of $16mil a year.... hopefully this is just a rumor.... if not, hopefully Kahwi proves himself worthy for that type of money.
    Seriously, Kawhi is still extremely shy on the offensive end. He still passes up too many shots and hesitates too much. The Spurs system relieves him of a lot of the offensive burden. Pop even said he never called a single play on offense for Kawhi this year. I believe it. He's not even close to our first option. We'd run a play first for Danny Green at the end of a game instead of Kawhi--and that's no joke.

5 years/80 million is superstar money. Kawhi is not even close to a superstar. Kawhi should get something like 4 years/48 million. Anything more is ridiculous. And the Spurs need to wait until NEXT summer to extend him, so that the open market can properly determine his value before the Spurs do something stupid and give him something like 5 years/80 million.... I guarantee you no team will pay him that kind of money after being in the Spurs system for the last 4 years. That will in turn make it much easier and more cost-effective for us to sign him, and he can sign a reasonable contract fitting of his status as a very quality role player on a great team.
    If this mother er wants the Spurs to win he better not demand the max.
    Kawhi is great, but he does not deserve to be the highest paid player on a championship team full of accomplished veterans.

A salary of 12M/yr is fair for all parties involved. And his salary would be slightly less than that of Tony Parker's.
    He was only on a championship team because a load of people took less than their market value.
    Well, the last 3 games is the most expensive showcase in the history of the NBA.

I like him, but he aint worth that much. He was a good roleplayer before the 3 games, but you ignore those 3 games (which granted are huge huge) he isnt 80 million player
    Permaban imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People always talking on here about how Manu's contract was warranted because of his past accomplishments tbh don't see how this shouldn't apply to Leonard, just won a FMVP at 22 years old, give him the ing max he deserves every penny for this le alone imho
    Smart mother er tbh

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those quotes of mine aren't similar in anyway to the quotes you grouped them with.

I always want players to take less on the Spurs because I know the organization is cheap. Tim Duncan did take a paycut which made it able to put together that championship team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol sooooo much fail in this thread. Gr8 offseason bump IMO TBH FWIW fgts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could see the guy's potential even back then. So much ing fail in this thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, Chinook is one of the worst talent evaluators on this site next to Mr.Fat Body. They're almost always wrong.

Thread Information