Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston has been so bad that I completely forgot the Rockets are playing. Nobody here cares about the Rockets. I mean tickets are legit $5 and still nobody shows up. It’s pretty sad. I haven’t been to a Spurs game in SA in like 3 years. I hope it’s not the same way in SA as it is here in Hou.

Side note it would be hilarious if Charlotte got the #1 pick
    I legit think Adam Silver would make sure Charlotte doesn't get the pick. That would be the ultimate disaster for the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it does. Good for them if they land a top 3 pick. Houston looks focused on ac ulating talent and worrying about a roster construction later. The way people are laughing at Houston is the same way they laughed at OKC/Pelicans/Memphis. I’ve enjoyed watching their rebuilds to this point.
    I'm still laughing at okc and their middling talent. the pelikans got a godfather offer from the lakers that pushed them out, (if the spurs get a lottery pick this year, and all their future picks convey they'll be just as good), memphis is like 5 years ahead of the spurs in their tank and might top out as a second round out regular. Houston is fine if they know when to stop tanking and selling high on their talent. if they miss wemby what do they have to show going forward? their at square zero and have no momentum. The league is not the same as 1998! you get raw prospects you have to guide. Yeah, once every ten years you'll get a pick who is so physically ahead they immediately put you out of the lottery, but even lebron struggled with the cavs until he became LE GM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except the Houston picks have been trash, yes, you're right.
    The best Houston picks have actually been outside the lottery (Sengun @16 & Eason @17).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I legit think Adam Silver would make sure Charlotte doesn't get the pick. That would be the ultimate disaster for the league.
    If we don't get it, I hope Charlotte does. It's the best way to make sure they make the playoffs in the 2 remaining years for the pick they owe us to convey as a 1st.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still laughing at okc and their middling talent. the pelikans got a godfather offer from the lakers that pushed them out, (if the spurs get a lottery pick this year, and all their future picks convey they'll be just as good), memphis is like 5 years ahead of the spurs in their tank and might top out as a second round out regular. Houston is fine if they know when to stop tanking and selling high on their talent. if they miss wemby what do they have to show going forward? their at square zero and have no momentum. The league is not the same as 1998! you get raw prospects you have to guide. Yeah, once every ten years you'll get a pick who is so physically ahead they immediately put you out of the lottery, but even lebron struggled with the cavs until he became LE GM.
    Pelicans' GM had a exceptional draft pulling three starter-level players, then traded for McCollum. They lucked out getting Zion.

OKC is good mostly because of SGA, and that was Kawhi forcing LAC to dump him on them (with tons of draft picks). Lucky, lucky. Their draft picks are... eh. The fanbase ing loves Dort for some reason. Giddey is a nice player. The rest? Ehhhhh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we don't get it, I hope Charlotte does. It's the best way to make sure they make the playoffs in the 2 remaining years for the pick they owe us to convey as a 1st.
    I can't imagine Wembanyama with a 'just do whatever the ' player like Lamello Ball running the show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. I've missed nothing. I'm using quotes from 4 guys about him. Not just 1. And hey if it's illating to you, I'm happy to keep this line of debate going with you.

For starters:

LeBron is universally known to be a GM. Often wanting to team up with friends and aging talent. Doesn't understand caps, trades, etc.

And Wiggins and Drummond are all-star level players, lol. , I think MKG made an all-star team once. Certainly above the average NBA player. But I'm not here touting them or harping on the fact we missed out on them in a draft we passed over them on for a player like Primo.

And who here or in the NBA exactly has the ability to better judge their peers talent than other NBA players. It's why they are paid the big bucks to analyze their games (see Kenny, Chuck, and Shaq, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.....)

Look, this is ultimately about missing on a player. And on that point we all seem to agree. So I'm content to leave this be, unless you want more illation?
    Bahaha, I'm not looking for illation, a basketball discussion is perfectly fine for me. I'll give it one more try, and we can agree to disagree afterwards if you'd like. But I'll always be up for talking ball; this forum is the only place I get to do that, as my IRL friends and peers aren't into the NBA or care for it. Anyways...

Let me tell you first that yes, we agree on the main point that Sengun should've been the pick all along. Even though I came to like Primo before his -whipping saga, I was team Sengun from the go, and in general hold Euro prospects in a better regard than most. My gripe with your POV is in the way that you're conflating players giving their flowers to a young, and promising, player, as those flowers being literal (or accurate) predictions on how he'll actually turn out to be. And I quote you directly -- "From like a 2 time MVP saying the kid has potential "sky is the limit" game".

Since you did the "for starters" section, let me do a "for sop res" counterpoint;

LeBron is a bad GM, we agree - and that's my point! No matter how high his BBIQ, the fact that he's played literally every single player in the NBA a billion times over almost 20 years, and perfectly knows how to win rings and what it takes -- he still makes terrible talent evaluations on players, and is largely responsible for the Lakers' current woes. I struggle to see why you thought this was a point in your favor? If the modern GOAT isn't a good talent evaluator, why'd you rely on much lesser players' evaluations as gospel?

Wiggins and Drummond are All-Star level players, in the same way that Dejounte was an All-Star level player. Not really. The former -- AKA "Maple Jordan" btw -- didn't make his first AS game until he was traded to a massive fanbase in GS, and furthered by that KPop voting or whatever. Drummond is a similarly empty player accolades-wise, and hasn't managed to stick on any team in his career because he flat out sucks, beyond what any counting stat can tell you. These are not the players you want backing your argument... Little individual success, no team success that's not getting carried by Curry, and yet how many players praised both of these players through the years? That's my point - not saying whether these players turn out to be "above average", who cares about that lmao. You skipped Evan Turners btw, who I think is a great example of this phenomena.

Kenny Chuck and Shaq, these are literal entertainers. Not real analysts and much less actual, informed scouts. You can easily find clips online of Chuck himself admitting to not even watching games . In any case, is it really controversial to say that yes, the scouts who are paid "the big bucks" to analyze players and prospects might just have the better eye for talent, and predicting ability, over players, who are paid the big bucks to put the ball through the hoop? Would you really say, at your job for example, that you're a better evaluator for your peer's work than say, your boss, or that you'd better predict a job candidate's future performance than the HR interviewers who are trained to handpick employees?

Yes, I know they miss all the time; yes I know scouts are wrong and stupid too. They're people - fallible, gullible, manipulable. But I'd still trust their opinions any day over those of NBA players being asked for their opinions on a peer (who again, might be a future teammate someday, further incentivizing these players to always give a positive, PR answer to avoid making enemies!). I think it's a very fair point to make, nevermind Sengun, for any player in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't imagine Wembanyama with a 'just do whatever the ' player like Lamello Ball running the show.
    I can actually imagine them working out great together. Wemby would be the absolute perfect match for a passing and shooting PG like LaMelo, both in terms of cleaning up the glass after misses, being a ridiculous lob threat, and being nimble enough to allow an uptempo style of play. Not to mention Wemby's very "modern" offensive game, with the pull-up 3's and whatnot.

But more importantly, I'd love for Charlotte to keep its relevance in case we're not the ones getting Wemby. Parity across the league is good for everyone, and a superstar (or superstar-level prospect for the matter) on every market is a great step towards that. I'd much rather see him there than, of course, HOU or DET, but also the worst-case of the Lakers gifting Wemby to the Pels.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FiveThirtyEight Raptor WAR 597 minute minimum (their default)

70th 2.5 WAR Jaylen Brown, Kahwi Leonard (playing time hit), Jusuf Nurkic, Alperen Sengun

Sengun
    +1.2 Offensive Raptor
    +0.6 Defensive Raptor

Centers only (not just true centers)
    20th WAR
    13th on offense, tied with Mason Plumlee
    28th on defense, tied with Brandon Clarke, Drew Eubanks, Kevon Looney, Ivica Zubac

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can imagine him telling Charlotte to skip him if they win the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are back boys! Thank you Dallas for ruining your franchise! with Zion getting injured all the time and Memphis on the verge of becoming the jail blazers, we might just take this division back in two years time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are back boys! Thank you Dallas for ruining your franchise! with Zion getting injured all the time and Memphis on the verge of becoming the jail blazers, we might just take this division back in two years time.
    we are not back until we know who we get in the draft

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    it'll be interesting to see if the nets move KD and have a reset.

bad news for the nets is good news for the rockets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

dude you the trade deadline thread. stop being dumb about how forums work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

it's hard to imagine a scenario where Houston isn't getting top ten or better picks out of those picks/pick swaps for at least some of the traded picks through 2029. Brooklyn is likely to suck sooner than later. And if they don't, then Sean Marks and Jacque Vaughn pulled a rabbit out of their hats

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's hard to imagine a scenario where Houston isn't getting top ten or better picks out of those picks/pick swaps for at least some of the traded picks through 2029. Brooklyn is likely to suck sooner than later. And if they don't, then Sean Marks and Jacque Vaughn pulled a rabbit out of their hats
    Honestly - I can see Rockets trading for KD lol. IF BKY is blowing it up and KD wants out why not call HOU, get your picks back and HOU gets a chance to make a leap? HOU will have capspace to absorb a lot of KD salary and can send a bunch of picks and salary savings to BKY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is about Spurs and their division opponents' near term future. His post was perfectly germane to this thread

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    my post was ultimately about the rockets' picks. which is directly related to this thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly - I can see Rockets trading for KD lol. IF BKY is blowing it up and KD wants out why not call HOU, get your picks back and HOU gets a chance to make a leap? HOU will have capspace to absorb a lot of KD salary and can send a bunch of picks and salary savings to BKY
    Hmmm. Interesting. Currently Houston has them bent over a barrel. How much is KD worth at this point of his career given he's only won with 3 other future HOFs on the court with him. Quite honestly as I think about it, if I'm Houston I stay away from that trade, *UNLESS* you get Wembanyama in this year's draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the would KD want to go to Houston though? Does Houston really want to give up a lot for a dude that likely doesnt' want to be there?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    if i'm HOU then i'm asking the nets for permission to speak to KD. then i'd promise KD that harden will come back in the offseason to satisfy kevin.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if i'm HOU then i'm asking the nets for permission to speak to KD. then i'd promise KD that harden will come back in the offseason to satisfy kevin.
    KD doesn't even want Harden on his all star team why would he want him as a team mate.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    KD doesn't even want Harden on his all star team why would he want him as a team mate.
    old news tbh.

there was a rumor KD wanted to get traded to philly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm. Interesting. Currently Houston has them bent over a barrel. How much is KD worth at this point of his career given he's only won with 3 other future HOFs on the court with him. Quite honestly as I think about it, if I'm Houston I stay away from that trade, *UNLESS* you get Wembanyama in this year's draft.
    If an expiring Kyrie got the offer from Dallas that was ultimately accepted or the one from the Clippers (1 unprotected first rounder + 2 unprotected swaps + Terance Mann + Kennard), then Durant (shouldn't, but) could command Gobert like haul. There aren't that man picks available, but you could see crazy offers from New Orleans (Ingram, Daniels, fillers + picks), Boston (Jaylen Brown, Derrick White, filler + picks), Toronto (Siakam, OG Anunoby + picks), Phoenix (Bridges, Ayton, filler + picks), etc.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    and especially old news now cause KD really, really knows this entire debacle has been kyrie's fault.

Thread Information