Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'd sell more luxury boxes in Austin.
    Austin is not that far from San Antonio. If folks want to buy luxury boxes they will. Lol

its obvious a good portion of folks who post on here don’t live in Texas or this area of Texas. I live in north Austin, right on the boarder of Austin and Round Rock. It’s only an hour and a half drive with moderate traffic to San Antonio from where I live.

of course the Spurs have fans in Austin but honestly it isn’t as much as the actual city of San Antonio because these transplants and hippies don’t give a about the NBA. Lmao. If this team moves to Austin from San Antonio and doesn’t put a decent (better than the last 3 seasons) product on the court the folks in Austin will turn quick as . Way quicker than the folks in San Antonio for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The move to Austin will make no difference when it comes to FA. I will never get the hype in here about Austin.
    for young and single folks Austin is way better than San Antonio in my opinion.

not to mention all the tech jobs already and arriving soon to the area. Austin’s downtown area is way cooler to hangout at and you have all the musical and film festivals in the city. Circuit of America’s is really cool if you’re into racing also. Lake Travis is a chill and lots of young folks hang out there. So I can see alot of the younger posters liking it better than San Antonio.

Not too mention it’s way more white people in Austin than San Antonio. Lmao. So if a majority of the people on this site are white then of course they will like Austin better. Lmao. I know some might take offense to that but it’s true. Austin has a ton of white and Asian people as opposed to San Antonio which is majority Hispanic. So I wouldn’t be surprised if a good amount of folks don’t like San Antonio due to this. I’ve actually heard people say this in person, which is sad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What, you don't enjoy waiting in line 20 minutes for $30 parking, or walking through stockyards and getting harassed by homeless people on the way to the game?

Darn en led Millennials these days
    never had any of these issues.

but to be fair I’ve always taken an Uber to the games because I know I’m gonna drink a bit when watching the games. Lol.

they ed up moving away from downtown in my opinion though. The area is ty where the stadium is located now. If folks were smart and had the means they should buy up some of the land close to there and build some venues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

not to mention all the tech jobs already and arriving soon to the area. Austin’s downtown area is way cooler to hangout at and you have all the musical and film festivals in the city. Circuit of America’s is really cool if you’re into racing also. Lake Travis is a chill and lots of young folks hang out there. So I can see alot of the younger posters liking it better than San Antonio.

Not too mention it’s way more white people in Austin than San Antonio. Lmao. So if a majority of the people on this site are white then of course they will like Austin better. Lmao. I know some might take offense to that but it’s true. Austin has a ton of white and Asian people as opposed to San Antonio which is majority Hispanic. So I wouldn’t be surprised if a good amount of folks don’t like San Antonio due to this. I’ve actually heard people say this in person, which is sad.
    Geekdom is in San Antonio and numerous cutting edge tech businesses are coming from this system. The internet of things lab is going to change the way we live.SA with its tourism, military bases, growing tech, biotech, and more will always be superior to traffic jammed Austin. Yeah, you can get drunk on 6th street as a single man, but that's about it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I have never lived in Texas so I personally don't care about the Austin vs SA battle on which city is better. I live in Charlotte, NC so it really doesn't matter to me. I will say that no matter how much the Austin people in here hype up Austin it will still never be an FA destination for the top players in the league. That's really what this is about when these posters hype up the spurs potentially moving to Austin that they believe it's going to allow them to compete with LA,Miami,NYC and even Houston when it comes to getting star players.

This is a black league. Black players who are stars are never going to have interest of going down to Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What, you don't enjoy waiting in line 20 minutes for $30 parking, or walking through stockyards and getting harassed by homeless people on the way to the game?

So true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lived in SA as a kid, married a gal from SA, but spent most my life in Austin. San Antonio is a much better place for the Spurs. Where would they play for instance? Austin over-taxed with people and will likely not be building a stadium for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm a season ticket holder. Think I pay $5 instead of $15 for parking, have never waited longer than a few minutes to get in, and have never seen a homeless person there. I'm normally a fan of your posts, but this doesn't sound like the games I go to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rather be a lib then a racist tyrant retrumplican

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin usually doesn’t care about SA, like can’t find it on a map, never visited. SA typically feels inferior to Austin. What I’m getting at is the fear of losing the team to Austin could be another example of this inferiority complex. What I’m also saying is that Austin might not want the Spurs. They already have their own pro team, UT Football. Hipsters love the other futbol. Sure, all it takes is one of their billionaires to get motivated to gain control. And who knows what happens. But there are some challenges, for sure. Combining the two markets together is the more likely challenge, but an arena in San Marcos could also be the worst of both worlds. But hey, we’ll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    never had any of these issues.

but to be fair I’ve always taken an Uber to the games because I know I’m gonna drink a bit when watching the games. Lol.

they ed up moving away from downtown in my opinion though. The area is ty where the stadium is located now. If folks were smart and had the means they should buy up some of the land close to there and build some venues.
    I'm a season ticket holder. Think I pay $5 instead of $15 for parking, have never waited longer than a few minutes to get in, and have never seen a homeless person there. I'm normally a fan of your posts, but this doesn't sound like the games I go to.
    OK, probably an over-exaggeration on my part, although you are definitely walking through the stockyards if you park in the outer lots and the line for parking can get crazy on AT&T Center Parkway if you don't get there early....but that's probably the case at most arenas.

I will say I've never actually seen homeless people actually around the arena, but the neighborhoods surrounding that area are definitely sketch.

Alamodome was obviously not built for basketball, but it was nice that there was other things to do within walking distance and it was a short cab ride from downtown. Aside from a couple dive bars and the country club across the street, there is nothing worth seeing around AT&T.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reality is that the team needs to both move away from SA and also not leave the SA market. SA is 32nd in the list of largest US cities by GDP and Austin is 26th. The range of cities by GDP between 26 and 32 includes Cleveland, Orlando, and Sacramento. If you were to combine the two together as a metroplex, you have a new metroplex with the 14th largest GDP in the country, "creating" an economy that was bigger than Phoenix, Denver, or Minneapolis. It'd be slightly smaller than the economies of San Jose/Silicon Valley or Miami. Note, these numbers are from 2018, and don't account for the boom in the central texas population and economy due to covid.

Ownership needs to leverage both the SA and Austin markets. Doing so has the potential to create a mid-market if not a "small big market" team (when you account for future growth). It can't be either/or. That means the debate shouldn't be about staying in SA or moving to Austin. The team needs to look at options that split the difference, whether its moving to the north side of SA or further up 35 to places like New Braunfels, San Marcos, or Kyle. When you start thinking along those lines, and especially with Dell taking an ownership stake in the team, the future stops looking so bleak.

Data is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reality is that the team needs to both move away from SA and also not leave the SA market. SA is 32nd in the list of largest US cities by GDP and Austin is 26th. The range of cities by GDP between 26 and 32 includes Cleveland, Orlando, and Sacramento. If you were to combine the two together as a metroplex, you have a new metroplex with the 14th largest GDP in the country, "creating" an economy that was bigger than Phoenix, Denver, or Minneapolis. It'd be slightly smaller than the economies of San Jose/Silicon Valley or Miami. Note, these numbers are from 2018, and don't account for the boom in the central texas population and economy due to covid.

Ownership needs to leverage both the SA and Austin markets. Doing so has the potential to create a mid-market if not a "small big market" team (when you account for future growth). It can't be either/or. That means the debate shouldn't be about staying in SA or moving to Austin. The team needs to look at options that split the difference, whether its moving to the north side of SA or further up 35 to places like New Braunfels, San Marcos, or Kyle. When you start thinking along those lines, and especially with Dell taking an ownership stake in the team, the future stops looking so bleak.

Data is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP
    Splitting the difference based on population makes sense mathematically, but I think a "middle ground" location would just alienate both major metros.

Personally, I can attest that since I moved to Austin, I go to far fewer games. I don't really mind the drive, but it's a much bigger commitment for me to drive 2 hours each way from north Austin (usually during high traffic times) for a game than it used to be when I had to drive 20 minutes. That definitely factors in to my decision making, which is why I only go to one or two games a season these days and its usually a planned event (i.e. seeing family in San Antonio, getting a hotel downtown, etc.)

If they were to move to, say...New Braunfels, you are asking both the San Antonio and Austin folk to commit to at least a 45 minutes drive just to get to the arena. Season ticket sales would suffer, and overall, people would be far less inclined to go to a game on a whim.

Couple that with the fact that San Antonio has a longstanding history being....well, the San Antonio Spurs, and they won five championships there...that's sure to rub some of the old-timers the wrong way. The Spurs are synonymous with San Antonio at this point, and if they were to become the Austin Spurs (or even the South Texas Spurs or whatever)...a lot of people are just going to stop caring as much.

Like others have said, the cost of building an arena in the heart of Austin would be astronomical and Travis county probably wouldn't even go for...plus there is just not really room to build. So they would be left looking on the outskirts either way, whether that is Buda, Cedar Park, Round Rock, etc. But I don't see a real benefit of moving the team 100 miles up the road from its historical home.

I think the Spurs will continue to be the San Antonio Spurs for a long time, but if they do move....it's probably going to be far away.
    Last edited by Dex; 07-29-2021 at 11:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitting the difference based on population makes sense mathematically, but I think a "middle ground" location would just alienate both major metros.

Personally, I can attest that since I moved to Austin, I go to far fewer games. I don't really mind the drive, but it's a much bigger commitment for me to drive 2 hours each way from north Austin (usually during high traffic times) for a game then it used to be when I had to drive 20 minutes. That definitely factors in to my decision making, which is why I only go to one or two games a season these days and its usually a planned event (i.e. seeing family in San Antonio, getting a hotel downtown, etc.)

If they were to move to, say...New Braunfels, you are asking both the San Antonio and Austin folk to commit to at least an 45 minutes drive just to get to the arena. Season ticket sales would suffer, and overall, people would be far less inclined to go to a game on a whim.

Couple that with the fact that San Antonio has a longstanding history being....well, the San Antonio Spurs, and they won five championships there...that's sure to rub some of the old-timers the wrong way. The Spurs are synonymous with San Antonio at this point, and if they were to become the Austin Spurs (or even the South Texas Spurs or whatever)...a lot of people are just going to stop caring as much.

Like others have said, the cost of building an arena in the heart of Austin would be astronomical and Travis county probably wouldn't even go for...plus there is just not really room to build. So they would be left looking on the outskirts either way, whether that is Buda, Cedar Park, Round Rock, etc. But I don't see a real benefit of moving the team 100 miles up the road from its historical home.

I think the Spurs will continue to be the San Antonio Spurs for a long time, but if they do move....it's probably going to be far away.
    Good points, but I think you're ignoring the direction of demographic changes in the I35 corridor. San Antonio is moving up and Austin is moving down. I grew up north of 1604 when it was an exurb. It's nothing of the sort now. So I wasn't suggesting a move directly into Austin or even further north like Cedar Park or RR. I think relocating to an area further north is an interesting idea worth considering. People who live further up north already commute 30-45 minutes to get to SBC as it is - would changing that commute to be 45 minutes north to San Marcos really be that big of a change? I don't see how. It's not like the current location is some prime destination anyway (it's not downtown, which isn't that great anyway).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points, but I think you're ignoring the direction of demographic changes in the I35 corridor. San Antonio is moving up and Austin is moving down. I grew up north of 1604 when it was an exurb. It's nothing of the sort now. So I wasn't suggesting a move directly into Austin or even further north like Cedar Park or RR. I think relocating to an area further north is an interesting idea worth considering. People who live further up north already commute 30-45 minutes to get to SBC as it is - would changing that commute to be 45 minutes north to San Marcos really be that big of a change? I don't see how. It's not like the current location is some prime destination anyway (it's not downtown, which isn't that great anyway).
    True...San Antonio is a big town in general, and a 30-45 minute drive to get places isn't out of the norm.

When I was just a younger Dex living in San Antonio, I dated a girl who also lived in San Antonio and it still took me ~40 minutes on 1604 to get to her house on a good day. I lived around Thousand Oaks, she lived around Culebra. I made that drive many, many times and you just kinda get used to it.

It would be closer to some, further for others....but might bring in more of those central markets like New Braunfels, San Marcos, etc which are all booming right now. As an Austin transplant, I wouldn't complain because it would make my commute shorter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One followup though....don't season ticket holders get priority on parking passes too?

I know I've definitely paid upwards of $20-$30 if you want to park in the closer lots....or you can park in the far lots and walk half a mile for like $10.

For that reason, I usually try to get there early and grab that lot by the country club, which is much easier to get out of as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have never lived in Texas so I personally don't care about the Austin vs SA battle on which city is better. I live in Charlotte, NC so it really doesn't matter to me. I will say that no matter how much the Austin people in here hype up Austin it will still never be an FA destination for the top players in the league. That's really what this is about when these posters hype up the spurs potentially moving to Austin that they believe it's going to allow them to compete with LA,Miami,NYC and even Houston when it comes to getting star players.

This is a black league. Black players who are stars are never going to have interest of going down to Austin.
    i am originally from VA and lived the last 5 years before moving to Texas in NC.

Trust me when I say this though, Austin would be a way better draw for young people in general. No matter what race they are because the down town and party scene is easily accessible as opposed to San Antonio. In San Antonio a lot of cool spots are spread out all over the city outside of the river walk. Austin’s downtown and also the up and coming area (close to where I live) called the Domain are places a lot of young people go to drink and party. University of Texas is a stones throw away from downtown which makes it even crazier. Then the music festivals and also.

Young NBA players would most definitely like Austin better than San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Austin has an emerging PE sector, music and film, and a growing corporate pipeline (Oracle, Tesla) on top of one of the most robust technology pipelines in the country. If you think young, rich black men who want to be more than just a basketball player (see, Lebron and film or Westbook and fashion) wouldn't be attracted to that, you're clueless.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tried to comment earlier on the merging of the two markets. Makes sense but it can’t weaken the Spurs brand so to speak. Also, yes, I-35 is merging everything together. But, maybe in another twenty years people will feel this consolidation. For now, SA still ends at New Braunfels and Austin starts north of San Marcos, at least in my opinion.

I think a prospective buyer is likely to just move the team elsewhere, as Dex suggested.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More importantly, will the Silver Spurs Dancers be brought back?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Build the new arena next to the Buc-ee's in New Braunfels and call it Buc-ee's Basketball Arena...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You know what else Austin has? A ton of ing homeless people and miscreants that harass & assault revelers downtown. It also has maddening traffic due to an infrastructure that wasn't ready to support the migration of transplants. Austin. I went to UT, had my fun and graduated. I got the out of there as soon as I could. Its not a place for grown-ups, its a hot spot for liberals, millennials, techies, fake Mexican food & people who enjoy sniffing piss on sidewalks. If thats where the Spurs want to relocate, adios MF'ers. I enjoyed the ride with the Champion Spurs. This roster of chumps (except for KJ) along with Gregg can GTFO. He'd certainly feel more at home there. , he can get a job lecturing at UT instead of doing it after games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin has an emerging PE sector, music and film, and a growing corporate pipeline (Oracle, Tesla) on top of one of the most robust technology pipelines in the country. If you think young, rich black men who want to be more than just a basketball player (see, Lebron and film or Westbook and fashion) wouldn't be attracted to that, you're clueless.
    Yeah I'm very confident the Lebrons of this world are not going to ever come to Austin if they had a team. Austin doesn't register as a cool place among young black men. I think that's a problem white people like you have a hard time registering. When it comes to competing with Miami,NYC,LA they are going to have as much success as San Antonio did. A place like Atlanta would be considered cooler than Austin for a young black man

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i am originally from VA and lived the last 5 years before moving to Texas in NC.

Trust me when I say this though, Austin would be a way better draw for young people in general. No matter what race they are because the down town and party scene is easily accessible as opposed to San Antonio. In San Antonio a lot of cool spots are spread out all over the city outside of the river walk. Austin’s downtown and also the up and coming area (close to where I live) called the Domain are places a lot of young people go to drink and party. University of Texas is a stones throw away from downtown which makes it even crazier. Then the music festivals and also.

Young NBA players would most definitely like Austin better than San Antonio.
    The question is not whether it's better than SA it is can it compete with Miami,LA,NYC. I doubt it can which is the problem all these markets have when it comes to attracting mega stars though FA or trades along with keeping their mega stars.

Thread Information