Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just thought Thad should have a player thread. Honestly, I'm starting to think if SA doesn't immediately have a good trade lined up for Young that they should offer him an extension. He basically played at the level of 2014 Boris Diaw last year. But him on the bench with White, Forbes, Landale (or Eubanks) and a shooter, and he'd probably be great.

Murray, White, Jones
    Vassell, Forbes, Primo
    McDermott, Walker
    Johnson, Young, Samanic
    Poeltl, Eubanks, Landale, Collins

Yes I really hate the Collins signing in light of how the roster looks. Anyway, I think that could be a very strong rotation, even with Forbes in it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he can be what Batum was to the Clippers last season, then he will be huge for this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was watching that video earlier. I wish he'd used better highlights. Those are obviously more honest, but they also belie the point he's making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just thought Thad should have a player thread. Honestly, I'm starting to think if SA doesn't immediately have a good trade lined up for Young that they should offer him an extension. He basically played at the level of 2014 Boris Diaw last year. But him on the bench with White, Forbes, Landale (or Eubanks) and a shooter, and he'd probably be great.

Murray, White, Jones
    Vassell, Forbes, Primo
    McDermott, Walker
    Johnson, Young, Samanic

Yes I really hate the Collins signing in light of how the roster looks. Anyway, I think that could be a very strong rotation, even with Forbes in it.

Murray, White, Jones
    Vassell, Forbes, Primo
    McDermott, Walker
    Johnson, Young, Samanic

So with this line-up, supposing they score the same as their average last year, and playing any 10 players per game. Spurs would barely crack 100 pts.

Murray 16pts, White 16pts, Jones 3pts
    Vassell 6pts, Forbes 6pts, Primo *
    McDermott 14pts, Walker 12pts
    Johnson 13pts, Young 12pts, Samanic 4pts
    Poeltl 9pts, Eubanks 6pts, Landale *, Collins *

Spurs averaged 110.9 pts last year, with Demar 21.6 pts, Mills 10.8 pts, Gay 11.4 pts, good enough for 20th rank.
    I doubt Spurs will win a lot of games. Top 5 pick here we come

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So with this line-up, supposing they score the same as their average last year, and playing any 10 players per game. Spurs would barely crack 100 pts.

Spurs averaged 110.9 pts last year, with Demar 21.6 pts, Mills 10.8 pts, Gay 11.4 pts, good enough for 20th rank.
    W-why would you estimate their points that way? You'd be hard-pressed to get 240 minutes out of that group.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Numbers and projections are not your friend, are they? Absolutely silly to use the same ppg as last year. There’s this thing called usage that plays a huge factor here.

Someone’s numbers are bound to go up. It’s almost impossible that they don’t.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe I'm overrating the vets or underrating the young players and new signings, but I'm having a hard time imagining this year's team being better than last year. Sink or swim for the young'uns, because the high-usage vets have been replaced by low-usage vets.

I'm not very good at these kind of predictions though and I would be glad to be wrong here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    W-why would you estimate their points that way? You'd be hard-pressed to get 240 minutes out of that group.
    Nah I think it's perfect way to tank without being too obvious. Those guys would compete, but will fall short.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe I'm overrating the vets or underrating the young players and new signings, but I'm having a hard time imagining this year's team being better than last year. Sink or swim for the young'uns, because the high-usage vets have been replaced by low-usage vets.

I'm not very good at these kind of predictions though and I would be glad to be wrong here.
    I think they're clearly worse without any further moves. DeRozan was far and away the best player on the team, and that team was already struggling because their best player from the previous year fell off a cliff. A lot of people talk about how DMDR being going will free up touches for Murray, but the dude had a -ton of touches last year. That wasn't his problem. White is a very good player and will add wins if he stays healthy, but you don't replace DeRozan with Vassell and expect to be better. Young and McDermott are good role-players, but the team still needs an offensive focal point, and they simply don't have one. If they could somehow snag a star-level scoring wing, they'd be a real team. But they'd probably have to trade Young to make that happen, and means they'd lose the benefit he'd give to a more serious playoff-competing team anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook, you don't think Walker is a more natural 2 than a 3? And Vassel is more of a natural 3 than a 2?

Also, in my theory I think Walker might be backup 1&2 with White starting. I see White and Murray taking most of the PG duties, but due to injuries, foul trouble etc, I can see Walker taking over as a pg. Kinda like how Lavine was playing point earlier in his career so he could improve as a scoring 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Numbers and projections are not your friend, are they? Absolutely silly to use the same ppg as last year. There’s this thing called usage that plays a huge factor here.

Someone’s numbers are bound to go up. It’s almost impossible that they don’t.
    How? When Spurs are replacing usage with another player, Demar with McDermont -7pts, Mills with Forbes -6 pts, Gay with Young (same). They're minus 13 pts with that line-up.
    Murray would still be playing the same ISO game. He's probably going to beast and average more, maybe 18 pts instead. That's already high, since he doesn't really have a "go to" move. Does he? Do you think he scores more than Demar's average?? Demar knew how to get in line, score at will, albeit not 3 pts.

I just don't see a lot of production with this line-up. But perfect for tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they're clearly worse without any further moves. DeRozan was far and away the best player on the team, and that team was already struggling because their best player from the previous year fell off a cliff. A lot of people talk about how DMDR being going will free up touches for Murray, but the dude had a -ton of touches last year. That wasn't his problem. White is a very good player and will add wins if he stays healthy, but you don't replace DeRozan with Vassell and expect to be better. Young and McDermott are good role-players, but the team still needs an offensive focal point, and they simply don't have one. If they could somehow snag a star-level scoring wing, they'd be a real team. But they'd probably have to trade Young to make that happen, and means they'd lose the benefit he'd give to a more serious playoff-competing team anyway.
    I think that was my point, in other words

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How? When Spurs are replacing usage with another player, Demar with McDermont -7pts, Mills with Forbes -6 pts, Gay with Young (same). They're minus 13 pts with that line-up.
    Murray would still be playing the same ISO game. He's probably going to beast and average more, maybe 18 pts instead. That's already high, since he doesn't really have a "go to" move. Does he? Do you think he scores more than Demar's average?? Demar knew how to get in line, score at will, albeit not 3 pts.

I just don't see a lot of production with this line-up. But perfect for tanking.
    Murray’s numbers won’t go up because of usage. It could if he developed his game.

This just isn’t the way you use numbers. It’s not simple math. But what can I expect from someone who kept repeating that a 20 and 10 player was the end all, be all for everything. I’m just going to leave this alone and assume that math isn’t your thing and that’s okay. We all have our talents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade his ass asap

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook, you don't think Walker is a more natural 2 than a 3? And Vassel is more of a natural 3 than a 2?

Also, in my theory I think Walker might be backup 1&2 with White starting. I see White and Murray taking most of the PG duties, but due to injuries, foul trouble etc, I can see Walker taking over as a pg. Kinda like how Lavine was playing point earlier in his career so he could improve as a scoring 2.
    I think if Walker is in the rotation next season, it'll probably have to come as the backup three. For some reason, Forbes is back and will need minutes. He might start at the two, because we're in the bad timeline, but Pop did put Vassell there and probably hasn't given up on him. I expect Devin to start again, with Bryn and Derrick being other options. I think Walker has the physical talent to play PG, but that position would be a long-term project for him (like three more years), because he doesn't have the IQ to do it. His mind hasn't caught up to his body, so he isn't able to leverage defenses the way his talent allows him to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray’s numbers won’t go up because of usage. It could if he developed his game.

This just isn’t the way you use numbers. It’s not simple math. But what can I expect from someone who kept repeating that a 20 and 10 player was the end all, be all for everything. I’m just going to leave this alone and assume that math isn’t your thing and that’s okay. We all have our talents.
    Well yeah, actually if you put a 20/10 guy instead of Johnson at PF +7 pts. Slid Johnson at SF (same). And McDermont at SG +8 pts. That's already +15 pts. Walker at back-up SG instead of Forbes, +6pts.
    Put White instead of Murray (same), but increase opportunities for McDermont +++

Heck Spurs might something there...

Lighten up bruh. I'm just saying the current roster doesn't have enough scoring power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if Walker is in the rotation next season, it'll probably have to come as the backup three. For some reason, Forbes is back and will need minutes. He might start at the two, because we're in the bad timeline, but Pop did put Vassell there and probably hasn't given up on him. I expect Devin to start again, with Bryn and Derrick being other options. I think Walker has the physical talent to play PG, but that position would be a long-term project for him (like three more years), because he doesn't have the IQ to do it. His mind hasn't caught up to his body, so he isn't able to leverage defenses the way his talent allows him to.
    I mean, use Walker in limited point duties to improve him as a player as part of his development. His long term fit is likely 2-guard. But he strictly was an off the ball player last season with Murray/White/DDR then Gay taking a lot of the usage rate. By giving him limited backup pg role, more ball handling and initiating the offense, I can foresee him developing as a player. I reference Lavine because he played lots of point for the Twolves, despite his long term role always being a 2-guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Thaddeus Young thread is complete without the greatest NBA graphic of all-time:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Thaddeus Young thread is complete without the greatest NBA graphic of all-time:

Son of a ,im in

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great glue guy for ANY team; patience young grasshoppers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for offering him an extension with a similar salary per year and protecting him as an asset.

He's a good player and a good leader who'll help the younger guys with their development even if he's not traded for picks. One of the things I hated about Hinkie's 6ers was that they never bothered to surround their young players with some vets in order to facilitate player development, which is the most important thing for a team in transition. Who cares if they win a couple more games, it's all about how your players improve - this is the real process, not only the tanking for better picks part.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see him being a Spurs for a while, type of guy Pop values. That’s said, I hope they get value for him now.

Saric’s corpse + Jalen + 2022 FRP (late pick)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see him being a Spurs for a while, type of guy Pop values. That’s said, I hope they get value for him now.

Saric’s corpse + Jalen + 2022 FRP (late pick)

Only one corpse? That’s not enough. He’s worth at least three corpses.

This offseason is like the Spurs are driving a wagon through a town in the year 1600 during the Plague, yelling “Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great glue guy for ANY team; patience young grasshoppers.
    I am hoping he is more Mario Elie and less Michael Finley.

Thread Information