Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antoni...otal-disaster/

tl;dr: Defense worse, Murray's leadership ability neutered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reads like some ST Edgelord manifesto

JK - but yeah. Murray was really the only leader on this team with any pull. Not fair to put that all on him but his personality called for it. To do that to him is so strange considering Pop himself was asking “where is the leadership”?

You just took it and sat it on the bench.

Beyond that, Pop has to find a way to let go of his own biases and do what is right for the team. It’s odd to me that his logic of making the move was to “fix the slow” starts. That is like saying I want to cure your cough when you have cancer. Yeah, getting rid of the cough is nice, but that does not fix what truly is ailing the body.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trying too hard to be an edgelord and mask his atrocious sniffing articles and post the last two years

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to say, either there’s a deep state to the spurs and they are doing everything they can to fire sale and tank or pop has lost his mind

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD21

look at the op stealing the thoughts you've always had about the same players and watch all the casual vanila say its completely something new and ground breaking

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously not defending the changes, but I wouldn't worry about one of Murray or White being out of the rotation altogether.

The path to playing them together is cleaner off the bench. By doing so, it's easier to factor in their minute limit and it keeps them away from DeRozan and puts them alongside Gay and Belinelli, giving them a modi of spacing.

TD21

look at the op stealing the thoughts you've always had about the same players and watch all the casual vanila say its completely something new and ground breaking
    Exactly. I'm the only person I know of who's used the word phobic with regards to this organization's bizarre disdain for the 3 and specifically as it relates to DeRozan, yet magically it appears in this article. Coincidence? I think not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp spent days poking and prodding the edgelords as cover for his slow conversion to their side.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD21

Don't @ that got. Of course that is what he thinks. He's been jerking off waiting for the day that the Spurs would be for years now. You want me to pull up some of his Leonard threads before the Spurs won the le?

Now he can just sit back and enjoy the show and blow his load on this lottery bound, piece of team.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Put it this way: If DeRozan, who has a long history of making teams worse defensively, is the best perimeter defender in your starting lineup, your team is in big trouble."

That's a pretty strong case. So either: a)Pop doesn't have any analytics people b)Pop doesn't listen to his analytics people c) the analytics people are afraid to force Pop to pay attention.

I said all last year that DDR and Forbes can't be on the floor together. During the playoffs, I let myself believe that it might be possible this season. But they have been even worse than they were last season. Bottom line, DDR and Forbes can't be on the floor together. DDR, Forbes, and Mills are a freaking train wreck. Put those three on the floor together, and it doesn't matter if White and Murray are playing together off the bench.

Poeltl may not be a perfect fit with LA, but at least when he's there Aldridge doesn't have to play C. Way back when Aldridge signed, we heard that he didn't want to play center. I think that's true.

Belinelli needs to go away. Period. It's worth repeating - Belinelli needs to go away. Period. He's not an NBA player at this point. The Spurs could replace him with damn near anybody and improve. His only reason to exist is 3P shooting, and he's not doing that. He's shooting .260 on 2-pointers. He's shooting 61% from the FT line. He's an invitation to score on defense. Gimme Keldon Johnson, with all his inexperience, right now. Cut Beli, give KJ 100% of Beli's minutes, and the Spurs are instantly better than they are with Beli playing. I guarantee you KJ would defend better than Marco, and I'm pretty confident he would be more efficient on offense. What else is there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't @ that got. Of course that is what he thinks. He's been jerking off waiting for the day that the Spurs would be for years now. You want me to pull up some of his Leonard threads before the Spurs won the le?

Now he can just sit back and enjoy the show and blow his load on this lottery bound, piece of team.
    Please do, tbh, I'm interested in the forum's reaction to the KL situation as it was going down...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure pops loss of his wife has hurt his mental health and is negatively impacting him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article. I would like to think that White being out was a big reason Mills played pg and agree pulling Murray was not good for anything. It would look pretty good to see Patty at the 2 actually. Forbes could do what he probably would be very good at, providing a spark and offence. This starting lineup has to change and it's more than just last game's starting line, which was a disaster.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    like i had said over the summer... pop should've retired this past offseason and ran for senate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome to Hot Topic. We are having a sale on razorblades over near the my chemical romance tees

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yap like I said in your other thread from 1 to 3 the spurs are bottem of the barrell. Your stats hammers it home.

Agree on Lyles who was emerging. Another youngster about to have his confidence dealt with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure pops loss of his wife has hurt his mental health and is negatively impacting him.
    I'm sure that was painful, but coaching is probably medicinal and gives him something to do besides grieve. I think the fact that nephew and uncle were actively conspiring against him during that battle was probably not a good feeling, but I don't think his mental health is a problem. It's Forbes I'm telling you!!! F-O-R-B-E-S!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw Murray picking the moment after being demoted to bench player to announce he is now with Kawhi's New Balance. Coincidence?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sadly replacing mills with forbes in the sl will make absolutely no difference.I also dont think pop would expect mills to guard the opposing teams best sg ala forbes but you never know

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the write up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seemed to solve one of our biggest issues though. We start off every game with no energy, pace, and flow. We had our best 1st quarter in a long while and DDR had his best game of the year. Give Poetl time to adjust to quick rotations and get LMA engaged again and we have our team.

For all of Murray's good (and there's a lot) he doesn't get Aldridge involved and he doesn't set up others particularly well. That wouldn't be an issue if he could space the ball, but he can't. Better to have Mills and Forbes starting to free up room for our stars.

The defense will get there tho, I'm not worried about that. Murray and White on the bench with Belli, Gay, and Lyles is an intriguing line up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know that it had anything to do with demoting Murray as much as wanting to stagger play-makers. Poeltl coming in made sense given the better spacing with Forbes and Mills and the need for some defense. I don't like it, but I think it's pretty reasonable.

I don't really think Murray's confidence needs to be the top priority right now. He clearly needs to develop the skill first, because his eyes have been too big for his stomach for a while now.

The team is quickly reaching that cross roads moment in the season where they will have to put up or blow up. Now more than ever, it seems like that may end up being a blow-up. Realizing, accepting and even embracing that are states where a lot of us are or will be soon. Personally, I'm not sure if I want the team to trade with this year in mind or to rebuild. I do think they owe it to themselves to not be too tied to any players though. When a move like this has some level of justification, I don't see why it makes sense to freak out about it. Forget the stats -- anyone with eyes can see Murray is erratic and oftentimes the good he does doesn't outweigh the bad. He shouldn't be coddled.

And , even if the most important thing is getting the most out of Murray, then benching him makes sense, even if it's disciplinary. He played better last night than he had in games. Getting him motivated or even just letting him hone is offensive game off the bench. Seems to have more future value than giving him the keys and watching him get worse the most he tries to do.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone with eyes can see Murray is erratic and oftentimes the good he does doesn't outweigh the bad. He shouldn't be coddled.

How many other players on the roster does that describe? The difference is, Murray has a chance to become more than he is right now. The others don't. It's not coddling to put him on the floor - that's where he's going to learn. If the extent of Pop's teaching consists of benching players, he really does need to move on.

Are the Spurs in win now mode, or build for the future mode? I think the answer is clearnly "neither". If this is supposed to be win now mode, they are well and truly ed. If this is supposed to be build for the future mode, it may be even worse since their players of the future are mostly on the bench.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many other players on the roster does that describe? The difference is, Murray has a chance to become more than he is right now. The others don't. It's not coddling to put him on the floor - that's where he's going to learn. If the extent of Pop's teaching consists of benching players, he really does need to move on.

Are the Spurs in win now mode, or build for the future mode? I think the answer is clearnly "neither". If this is supposed to be win now mode, they are well and truly ed. If this is supposed to be build for the future mode, it may be even worse since their players of the future are mostly on the bench.
    Spot on. What’s so funny is that I truly don’t think he’s trying to tank right now. Pop’s moves with the vets playing instead of the youth means he’s actually trying to win. We literally look like a tanking bottom 5 team in the league except we are actually a healthy squad trying to win. It’s hilariously disgusting. A beautiful catastrophe. All you can do is laugh at this point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot on. What’s so funny is that I truly don’t think he’s trying to tank right now. Pop’s moves with the vets playing instead of the youth means he’s actually trying to win. We literally look like a tanking bottom 5 team in the league except we are actually a healthy squad trying to win. It’s hilariously disgusting. A beautiful catastrophe. All you can do is laugh at this point
    well said

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray will be back in the starting line up once White comes back.

Thread Information