Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Step backs, floaters, a dunk, 3s, etc.

3-and-D player
    Nah not just a 3-and-D player. That’s limiting his game. The guy has higher ceiling. He could possibly be the best player of the team, as he has the most complete game.
    Last edited by John B; 10-21-2021 at 12:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    couldn't be happier. he looked completely lost after the midpoint of his rookie season, and frankly, was a big disappointment in summer league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lost in all the Primo hype is the truth that Vassell's ceiling is an all-star and a top 3 two-way player in this league. He's got a smooth jump shot. He's athletic and long. He has reasonably good court vision and dribbling skills. And he has a motor and does not show fear. Now, deep breath, he looked great against Orlando, which is going to be one of the two worst teams in the league. But still, let's overhype this guy a little. He's a lot closer to being our best player and a top NBA player than anyone on this roster not named Murray/White.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't care if he starts or comes off the bench at this point, even though he should start, just play this kid 30 plus minutes per game. He does it all, 46% from the field 39% from three, great defense and his offense is looking smooth as . He's scored 19 plus points 5 out of his first 13 games this season, the most points he scored in a game last season was 18 and his second highest 14. It's a small sample size but his ceiling is looking very high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't care if he starts or comes off the bench at this point, even though he should start, just play this kid 30 plus minutes per game. He does it all, 46% from the field 39% from three, great defense and his offense is looking smooth as . He's scored 19 plus points 5 out of his first 13 games this season, the most points he scored in a game last season was 18 and his second highest 14. It's a small sample size but his ceiling is looking very high.
    Agree. I think it would also get Derrick off the slump not as a demotion but having more freedom to score in the 2nd unit with Lonnie. But boy DJM and Vassell would be one of the best defensive guards in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is railing, and all people can do is cry about Primo.

His offense is nice, but I’ve been most impressed by his on the ball defense this year. Last year, most of his steals came from jumping passing lanes, but someone must have locked him in the video room with Dejounte on loop, because he has that little poke steal down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is railing, and all people can do is cry about Primo.

His offense is nice, but I’ve been most impressed by his on the ball defense this year. Last year, most of his steals came from jumping passing lanes, but someone must have locked him in the video room with Dejounte on loop, because he has that little poke steal down.
    I hate to say it buy Vassell reminds me of a young Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate to say it buy Vassell reminds me of a young Kawhi.
    bruh nah Kawhi was built like a rock and was way more physical than Vassell. He could clear space with his strength alone. Vassell is more like Ray Allen but with better defense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bruh nah Kawhi was built like a rock and was way more physical than Vassell. He could clear space with his strength alone. Vassell is more like Ray Allen but with better defense
    Dude I'll take that in a second!

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Start the man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude I'll take that in a second!
    Ray Allen at age 21: 13.4 ppg, 2.6 apg, 4.0 rbg, 0.9 spg, 0.1 bpg, 39.3 3 pt% on 3.6 three pt attempts

Devin Vassell at age 21: 12.8 ppg, 1.6 apg, 4.2 rbg, 1.2 spg, 0.7 bpg, 40.9 3 pt% on 5.1 three pt attempts (season not done obviously)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Lonnie were ballin’, maybe, but if you start him, your bench is void. Nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His numbers are pretty similar to Tyrese haliburton whom many said should have taken (both pre draft and during last season).
    Of course different types of players, but not looking so obvious now

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ray Allen at age 21: 13.4 ppg, 2.6 apg, 4.0 rbg, 0.9 spg, 0.1 bpg, 39.3 3 pt% on 3.6 three pt attempts

Devin Vassell at age 21: 12.8 ppg, 1.6 apg, 4.2 rbg, 1.2 spg, 0.7 bpg, 40.9 3 pt% on 5.1 three pt attempts (season not done obviously)
    Don't forget that Ray Allen played 30.9 MPG in that season and Vassell is at 26.4.

I wouldn't read too much into the 3PA numbers because the league is a lot different now, but the other numbers mostly favor Vassell if anything.

I didn't realize Vin Baker played 40 MPG for that 96-97 Bucks team. Yuck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget that Ray Allen played 30.9 MPG in that season and Vassell is at 26.4.

I wouldn't read too much into the 3PA numbers because the league is a lot different now, but the other numbers mostly favor Vassell if anything.

I didn't realize Vin Baker played 40 MPG for that 96-97 Bucks team. Yuck.
    I think Devin would pass Allen as a defensive player. I really think he will be Spurs’ lockdown defender when everything is done, like Elliot, Bruce, Danny and Kawhi. Already I see Devin taking the best G/SF whenever he’s in. And ultimately PF on small ball. As soon as his body develops to start throwing his weight around, Devin would be a force both sides of the court, a poorman Pippen? Or as he puts it, the best ever?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Devin would pass Allen as a defensive player. I really think he will be Spurs’ lockdown defender when everything is done, like Elliot, Bruce, Danny and Kawhi. Already I see Devin taking the best G/SF whenever he’s in. And ultimately PF on small ball. As soon as his body develops to start throwing his weight around, Devin would be a force both sides of the court, a poorman Pippen? Or as he puts it, the best ever?
    Pass Ray Allen as a defensive player? He’s already a better defender than Allen ever was in his career. His on ball defense is entering DJ territory: someone that ball handlers fear to bring the ball up against.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ray Allen seems like a pretty decent comparison but I still see a bit more of a Scottie Pippen type in him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ray Allen seems like a pretty decent comparison but I still see a bit more of a Scottie Pippen type in him
    Devin is not the type of defender that will make a player shoot low percentages. He’s not there yet. He’s a team defender, and is a maestro at passing lanes. He’s not a 1 on 1 defender like people say he is when people compare him to Scottie and Kawhi. That’s not a bad thing. I argue having a team defender is more valuable these days than 1 on 1 defenders because 1) theres more ball movement today and 2) individual defenders exert more energy and make them less useful on offense. Scottie (and Kawhi) was a physical specimen and could guard your 1-5 and he was a wall on defense. You can not back him down because he was so strong and had long arms. Where Devin hangs his hat is his almost elite anticipation skills for swiping the ball when players make lazy passes or against bad ball handlers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin is not the type of defender that will make a player shoot low percentages. He’s not there yet. He’s a team defender, and is a maestro at passing lanes. He’s not a 1 on 1 defender like people say he is when people compare him to Scottie and Kawhi. That’s not a bad thing. I argue having a team defender is more valuable these days than 1 on 1 defenders because 1) theres more ball movement today and 2) individual defenders exert more energy and make them less useful on offense. Scottie (and Kawhi) was a physical specimen and could guard your 1-5 and he was a wall on defense. You can not back him down because he was so strong and had long arms. Where Devin hangs his hat is his almost elite anticipation skills for swiping the ball when players make lazy passes or against bad ball handlers.
    Team defense is really important but at the end of the day you need great individual defense to win a le. But we aren't winning a tle anytime soon anyway while this type of play from Vassell can lead us to the playoffs... eventually. It suck bc we don't know enough about our team since they are all so young. But just as a guess if we can get DJ, Primo, Vassell, Mc Buckets and Aytonn as our starters. Wwith draft pick, White, KJ, Poeltl as our bench player then we can really have something going forward. We would be limited of course, but it would be a playoff team if that's our goal for a quick rebuild

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Team defense is really important but at the end of the day you need great individual defense to win a le. But we aren't winning a tle anytime soon anyway while this type of play from Vassell can lead us to the playoffs... eventually. It suck bc we don't know enough about our team since they are all so young. But just as a guess if we can get DJ, Primo, Vassell, Mc Buckets and Aytonn as our starters. Wwith draft pick, White, KJ, Poeltl as our bench player then we can really have something going forward. We would be limited of course, but it would be a playoff team if that's our goal for a quick rebuild
    We could F with Phoenix,but I doubt they’d fail to match on Ayton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin also isn’t the playmaker Pip was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could F with Phoenix,but I doubt they’d fail to match on Ayton.
    I know but I want to make Sarv pony up the cash. Ruin his team even more. That's one less team to worry about

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin the Dude is definitely improving. And on D has great artistic flourishes, but on offense seems mechanical and robotic, but becoming effective. In that narrow regard of having pre-planned moves, I can see the vague Kawhi comparisons some have made, but overall I don’t see any obvious comps. Ray Allen seemed more fluid to me. Pippen is a moon shot at this point. But I’m happy with any progress we get.

He is a gym rat, as is DJ. In that I have faith.

Thread Information