My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just offer Errors a bullet and a gun.
    FIFY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I very much hope Baynes re-signs - he's like a 6'10" wrecking ball and a puppy dog at the same time, and he's a more than adequate 4th big.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes will be back have no doubts about that...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    alrighty Quixem..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure no NBA team will throw a stupid amount of money at him, but I'm worried about some european team throwing a bunch of money at him just so they can claim to have an NBA champion on their team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure no NBA team will throw a stupid amount of money at him, but I'm worried about some european team throwing a bunch of money at him just so they can claim to have an NBA champion on their team.
    The only team that I'm really worried about is Atlanta, because of the coaching ties to Baynes. And the "stupid amount of money" is relative here, considering that $2M isn't widely considered as a "stupid amount" for an NBA big - but that amount might just put him out of the Spurs range (not that the Spurs don't HAVE that amount, just that they may not want to spend it on a 5th big).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another project spurs got; is there a worse Spurs fan site on the internet? can't take any of those s seriously after the ball gargling they gave Ayres today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Baynes was asked about his contract at Patty Mills' "Key to Canberra" ceremony the other day, he was coy and basically said that his management was taking care of his contract, but he did imply that he hopes to remain with the Spurs. Fingers crossed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Baynes was asked about his contract at Patty Mills' "Key to Canberra" ceremony the other day, he was coy and basically said that his management was taking care of his contract, but he did imply that he hopes to remain with the Spurs. Fingers crossed.
    The QO is so small, it's not in Aron's interest to sign quickly. He has 39 days until the World Cup. AUS will likely have some kind of camp beforehand. If he hasn't received any offers by then, I imagine that he'll sign the QO before the AUS World Cup team camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The QO is so small, it's not in Aron's interest to sign quickly. He has 39 days until the World Cup. AUS will likely have some kind of camp beforehand. If he hasn't received any offers by then, I imagine that he'll sign the QO before the AUS World Cup team camp.
    That sounds reasonable. Hopefully it happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. I think he's just waiting to see if he gets any outsized offers. I would hope the Spurs would match anything up to 2.5-3mil/yr given that we have plenty of space under the tax line.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another project spurs got; is there a worse Spurs fan site on the internet? can't take any of those s seriously after the ball gargling they gave Ayres today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    July 23rd is the last day that the Spurs can unilaterally withdraw their QO.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah man their takes are weird

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SIGN THIS MO FO!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who was it that kept saying that because he had no public offers that he would never get more money? Baynes then signs on media day. Spurs don't work out in the open if they can help it. Let's see who has no clue about the Spurs organization:

Why would you give him 2 mil when you can have him for 1.1M? No one is coming in with another offer. Why would you bid against yourself?
    Just don't agree. I don't find it plausible that he's sitting on a $2M offer from a team in Europe, and I don't see the current offer as penny pinching. He's a restricted free agent. It's up to him and his agent to generate an offer that the Spurs will either match or let him go. That's the nature of the business. As it is, he has a standing offer that represents a 41% increase in salary over last year. Not bad for a guy who played less than 500 minutes last year and was making about 150K when the Spurs brought him to the NBA.

I like Baynes, but there's absolutely no reason for the Spurs to increase their offer.
    Duncan and Splitter are going to play the vast majority of meaningful minutes (and even more in the playoffs, obviously) against those and every other kind of center, though. If they need a third center for five mpg against Howard or whoever you want to name, in the playoffs, whether it's Ayres or Baynes isn't going to make a difference. You act like Ayres is Daye when it comes to strength.

It's not about the money, so much as it is the principal. You don't bid against yourself, especially for minimal talent, who's similar to a player already under contract.
    he hasn't even gotten an offer. its not like if he was unrestricted he'd have significantly more offers . RFA's worthy of contracts tend to get contracts if they want them.

Vacuum, basketball arena, etc. etc.
    Another gem from ex reading the thread he is a fount of blasphemy.

The ball is in Aron's court. The Spurs can't force him to sign their offer.
    cd approaches things as if what he wants and thinks is what the Spurs FO must think is best.

I've seen nothing like that. I think peoples opinion of Baynes on ST is ridiculously high. He can become a solid backup center for the Spurs but thats about his ceiling in San Antonio. I've heard some laughable statements about Baynes potential.

If he returns on the cheap, then the Spurs are probably interested. If not then, they aren't going to torn up about losing him.

At this point, I just hope a decision in made sooner rather than later (October 1st) the Spurs are in a bit of a limbo with the 15 roster spot.
    Here is a man with a clue:

I think this was Baynes/his agent's plan all along. Spurs would probably match a 2 million per year offer but I don't see them going north of that.
    My faith was never caught half stepping and from the Throne of Banger I know that the heretics and apostate have tormented the faithful for far too long; they do not merit the grace of Baynes. Res sacræ, ritus, communio, crypta, potestas, prædia sacra, forum, civilia jura vetantur shall terminate forthwith. I declare exstatic, Mel_13, TD 21, spurraider21, cd021 excommunicate from the Holy Banger. Gone are they forever from the grace of Baynes. May they receive that which they deserve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you've read my posts ud know I'm a fan. I guess that's asking too much of you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you've read my posts ud know I'm a fan. I guess that's asking too much of you
    What is a fan without faith? Shun the non-believer!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't tell if exstatic was blinded by his Errors' love or was genuinely stupid on this subject?...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't tell if exstatic was blinded by his Errors' love or was genuinely stupid on this subject?...
    It's a common mistake. It's confusing because it is both. They beget one another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say both. Even when he doesn't have Errors' in his mouth or his balls over his eyes, he has some awful basketball takes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who was it that kept saying that because he had no public offers that he would never get more money?
    Where in my post that you quoted did I say or insinuate they'd do so? What I said was my opinion of what they should do and it hasn't changed, nor will it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahh reviewing how wrong people were regarding the Baynes 'negotiations' underselling him.

Anywho Baynes is playing better and better.

Tony, Manu, and Boris are finding Baynes much in the manner that Oberto made his living from right at the rim. He is a good passer and Pop called on him to run a triangle look out of a set play with him in the high post, Bobo in the wing, and Leonard on the baseline where Baynes found him cutting inside for and easy dunk.

More importantly he more and more appears to be owning the offense and his role in it. He no longer looks confused as he moves around down low, into the post high or low, into horns, or for the pnr out on the wing or up top. He moves from spot to spot concentrating at the task at hand moreso than figuring out what task he is trying to accomplish like he used to.

He sets excellent screens that scrape defenders off Manu, Parker, and Cojo. Smaller guys like Jack and Williams are routinely taken out of the play entirely forcing immediate rotations for the defense. A guy like Manu feasts on that and Parker can just get to the rim. He takes pride in this task he likes to bang and grind. He will slip screens if guys get caught under him and try to take people for a ride. He leans, pushes, hipshchecks, shivers, and otherwise imposes his will onto passing bigs. His owning of the offense sees him on the lookout for such opportunities.

The next step in his evolution are finding the spots on the floor where he is finding himself open most often and practicing the out of a jumper from there.

His rebounding is limited by his hands which at this point can at best be described as average. He doesn't have the manual dexterity and large hands of Leonard and Duncan to tip the ball to himself as they do, so the ball will careen at times as he struggles to get a hand in. Some of this is due to him focusing on keeping a body on the oppositions top rebounders. He can be a bit overzealous yet he has improved noticeably in this area as he bangs then crashes the board fluidly instead of getting tied up despite inside position.

He sticks in his nose regularly on the offensive glass but much of those numbers are him gathering his own misses. He can finish with both hands but which hand and how to attack is still a work in progress. He has been shooting over 50% for the year to this point nevertheless.

Defensively is where he makes his greatest contributions. He was entirely too upright against the Kings a week or more ago and got roached on the pnr. He adjusted since with much better bend and he has been able to keep up with the lesser centers he has played. Cousins may be the best 5 in the league right now. He is now bending and sliding to do a much better job mirroring penetrators.

Most importantly, the man can use his size and length to protect the rim. The defense is designed to funnel penetration baseline and he more often than not is that weakside baseline rotation. He does a great job moving to each side of the key and up top outside the circle when they get middle. He forces a lot of bad shot as guys cannot get around him and I often find myself incredulous at low block totals on the stat sheet. He has fallen victim of foul calls seeing him going straight up and the offender creating the contact but for the most part he is not fouling on his rotations.

Overall he has settled into his role as the fourth big and getting 15-20 mins a night. In this role he contributes more than previous bigs particularly on the defensive end where Blair and Ayers have struggled to contribute. Pop is playing him in lineups with Parker, Manu, Leonard, Bobo, and now Duncan that are effective both offensively and defensively. His teammates are adjusting to him as he is to they and things are looking up for the Australian big man.

Thread Information