Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    But don’t get me wrong, if they find a way to add a guy like Zach Lavine, I’ll love it. I just don’t think it’s necessary to get this team into contention.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I just think the whole “they need a #2 scorer” take is wrong imo. They have scorers, they have shooters, and they have defense. They just need small additions there to make sure those guys stay fresh. But then fixing the center position is definitely more than a small upgrade. They have to get someone significantly better than Powell, which shouldn’t be very hard to do, but we’ve seen Dallas screw up the center position for decades now, sans 2011.
    A #2 is not all about scoring. Pippen was a good scorer not a great one, but was a great defender and passer. He also can attack double teams and scrambling defense when defense is focused on the #1 for example, like Wiggins did to the Mavs last night. Wiggins doesn’t always play like it but he is the former number one pick in the draft but he is the 3rd sometimes 4th option for the Warriors. That’s a huge talent disparity. If Wiggins could play like this more consistently he would be perfect #2 for the Mavs. A defensive guy that can score against mismatches, attack the rim, defend on switches but not overly reliant on the 3 or ball dominant. Not a great passer but a good one basically a poor man’s pippen …along with a versatile big that can rim protect is what Mavs need.
    Dinwiddie and Brunson are good enough scorers but on a le team those are your 3rd and 4th best players.
    Winning the way you describe requires the magic of 2011 or the defense of the 2004 Pistons.
    That is a hard way to build a team.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    But don’t get me wrong, if they find a way to add a guy like Zach Lavine, I’ll love it. I just don’t think it’s necessary to get this team into contention.
    I like Lavine his uncle is local to DFW btw …but you need a defender as the #2

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    kG Pippen Artest Mavs need a defensive wing guy that can score more than a straight #2 scorer

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    kG Pippen Artest Mavs need a defensive wing guy that can score more than a straight #2 scorer
    yeah and exactly how many guys of that mold exist and are available? if its so easy, lebron would have gotten a few of those by now, but he literally has never been able to get one, because they are hard to come across. this a large reason of why the ring argument is so hated, because not many players have gotten as fortunate of situations as mike, bird, magic, kobe and steph. all of them either started in situations where basically everything they needed was there, or the solutions were available and taken. unfortunately for a guy like luka, he stepped into a situation where the drafting and contract management had been pathetic for years before him, he started winning quickly resulting in draft picks being late and unreliable, and the team screwed up horribly in how they wasted so many resources in rebuilding the roster after getting him.

keep in mind this is a team that turned:

harrison barnes, wesley matthews, dennis smith, deandre jordan, 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders and being around $5-7M over the cap
    into
    spencer dinwiddie, davis bertans, josh green (instead of desmond bane), tyrell terry (out of the league), and being $30m over the cap next year

anyways, point is that its easy to say "oh this is exactly what they need, they should go and get it!" but if its not a possibility, then other directions have to be explored.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    yeah and exactly how many guys of that mold exist and are available? if its so easy, lebron would have gotten a few of those by now, but he literally has never been able to get one, because they are hard to come across. this a large reason of why the ring argument is so hated, because not many players have gotten as fortunate of situations as mike, bird, magic, kobe and steph. all of them either started in situations where basically everything they needed was there, or the solutions were available and taken. unfortunately for a guy like luka, he stepped into a situation where the drafting and contract management had been pathetic for years before him, he started winning quickly resulting in draft picks being late and unreliable, and the team screwed up horribly in how they wasted so many resources in rebuilding the roster after getting him.

keep in mind this is a team that turned:

harrison barnes, wesley matthews, dennis smith, deandre jordan, 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders and being around $5-7M over the cap
    into
    spencer dinwiddie, davis bertans, josh green (instead of desmond bane), tyrell terry (out of the league), and being $30m over the cap next year

anyways, point is that its easy to say "oh this is exactly what they need, they should go and get it!" but if its not a possibility, then other directions have to be explored.
    I agree it’s easier said then done …
    I want Luka to win a le at some point and it’s great to make lemonade out of lemons
    But the gets exhausting and it’s why Bron left which is what I don’t want to happen especially since I live in DFW

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    But if they had listened to me and did not trade for nor doubled down on KP maybe they could have used assets they used to get or get him and flip him plus picks to get a wing.
    Anyway I hope they do well I don’t like Cuban but rooting for Kidd and Doncic.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    blowing a 30 point lead would be the most Mavs way to end the season

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I knew the Warriors would lay egg. Props to Mavs. Didn't watch saw Braves comeback.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I don't know that Luka needs a better #2 scorer as opposed to a different type of #2, maybe even a #3 scorer. Both Brunson and Dinwiddie are off the dribble, breakdown iso players. They both shot the ball well from distance this seafon, but neither is a volume three point shooter, unless they just have one of those games. Both are as likely to attempt 3-4 threes in a game as they are 7-8+ attempts.

Luka could use a #2 or even #3 scorer who is a volume but also consistent three point shooter. Dallas has shooters. But they're all role players. DFS and Kleber and Davis and Reggie, any of them might go off for 25 and hit 5, 6, 7 threes. But the next three games, they might average 5 points on 1-for-7 from three.

Now they're not just going to up and find another Klay Thompson. But can they get a Buddy Hield type secondary scorer, Joe Harris, Seth Curry? Maybe not ideal #2 or #3 guys. But high percentage, high volume three point shooters who on most nights will give Luka 18-20 points on 8-10 three point attempts a game. And I know he draws the ire from a lot of Mavs fan, but can THJ be that guy? Could Porzingis have been that guy if he stayed healthy?

I think it's the type of #2 scorer, different from Brunson and Dinwiddie, that could make a big difference. A volume three point shooter who doesn't necessarily need the ball in his hands to create and score. Just catch and shoot.

That and of course upgrade Dwight ing Powell. Imagine the Mavs with a center like Deandre Ayton or Jarrett Allen.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dwight Powell has like 3 total rebounds in this series.. hes a starting center. Roflmao

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Dwight Powell has like 3 total rebounds in this series.. hes a starting center. Roflmao
    Kleber has not done much either. He is a decent back up most of the time, though.

The more of I have seen from this team, the more I think they can mostly just stand pat. They just aren't mature enough and need some more seasoning. Just find a serviceable big and then let it rip the next few years.

Unfortunately, though, Cuban will probably let Brunson walk and then sign Yogi Ferrell for the minimum and hope that nobody notices

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kleber has not done much either. He is a decent back up most of the time, though.

The more of I have seen from this team, the more I think they can mostly just stand pat. They just aren't mature enough and need some more seasoning. Just find a serviceable big and then let it rip the next few years.

Unfortunately, though, Cuban will probably let Brunson walk and then sign Yogi Ferrell for the minimum and hope that nobody notices
    Kleber is fine for the bench, but not playing 35 min in the playoffs. A big should be a big priority, cause that position is just horrible for the mavs.
    I also still think that brunson should be traded for someone bigger that can shoot and play defense.
    Signing Ferrell would make sense if they wanna have the third Olimpija player on the team with Luka and Bertans already there.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    i would s&t brunson for jerami grant. i know pistons wanted him and grant wants out. not sure who to get at center though, might have to be a trade deadline guy next year

ive also always wanted john collins, but not sure how they would make that happen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay thinking it's game 6.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They overachieved this season. There simply weren't enough injuries to contenders to give Dallas the opening it needed. The Spurs (and others) have greatly benefited from the direction of the injury bug throughout their tenure atop the league.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    sheesh what is that 5-6 shots that rolled in and out? one of those games smh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I don't know that Luka needs a better #2 scorer as opposed to a different type of #2, maybe even a #3 scorer. Both Brunson and Dinwiddie are off the dribble, breakdown iso players. They both shot the ball well from distance this seafon, but neither is a volume three point shooter, unless they just have one of those games. Both are as likely to attempt 3-4 threes in a game as they are 7-8+ attempts.

Luka could use a #2 or even #3 scorer who is a volume but also consistent three point shooter. Dallas has shooters. But they're all role players. DFS and Kleber and Davis and Reggie, any of them might go off for 25 and hit 5, 6, 7 threes. But the next three games, they might average 5 points on 1-for-7 from three.

Now they're not just going to up and find another Klay Thompson. But can they get a Buddy Hield type secondary scorer, Joe Harris, Seth Curry? Maybe not ideal #2 or #3 guys. But high percentage, high volume three point shooters who on most nights will give Luka 18-20 points on 8-10 three point attempts a game. And I know he draws the ire from a lot of Mavs fan, but can THJ be that guy? Could Porzingis have been that guy if he stayed healthy?

I think it's the type of #2 scorer, different from Brunson and Dinwiddie, that could make a big difference. A volume three point shooter who doesn't necessarily need the ball in his hands to create and score. Just catch and shoot.

That and of course upgrade Dwight ing Powell. Imagine the Mavs with a center like Deandre Ayton or Jarrett Allen.
    Agree with most of this especially a different # 2
    But problem is none of their top 3 guys can defend…

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Oh and State showing that No, Mavs aren’t that close lol

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    must be lovely to only score 5 points and your team dominating a top tier team

if Nico can build Luka a team half as loaded as what Steph has been gifted they will win 5 rings

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Oh and State showing that No, Mavs aren’t that close lol
    Every advanced metric invented says the series should be 2-2 or 3-1 Mavs right now. Sometimes shots just don’t go in.

“You can’t control what the ball do” - Josh Howard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA allowed Mavs to win game 4 to extend the series tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay doing work tonight, ESPN saying "Splash Brothers 3's blah blah blah". The narrative is already written, they just need to find ways to spin it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA allowed Mavs to win game 4 to extend the series tbh
    I used to wonder about this but the NBA doesn't control the shooting percentages.

Thread Information