Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/lonnie-wal...opovich-right/

Personally, I'm excited. This tells me Pop sees something in Walker and he's trying to get it out of him. If Pop just wanted a defender today who wouldn't make many mistakes, he could remove DeMarre Carroll from the shrink wrap. But he's trying to get greatness out of Walker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s trying to get a trade demand and he’s going to get it, tbh

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    this is 2019 hard love doesnt work anymore.........pop is going to alienate our best young player again...........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write-up.

Trade him tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is 2019 hard love doesnt work anymore.........pop is going to alienate our best young player again...........
    Lonnie's had nothing but tough love from his parents his whole life. This is nothing new or shocking to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta say Timvp, thats probably the best breakdown i've seen on this site as far as understanding why Pop is mad about something. Great stuff.

If you are correct that Walker was there to pick up Kawhi and he kept allowing others to do it, I can understand Pop saying what he said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie's had nothing but tough love from his parents his whole life. This is nothing new or shocking to him.
    Yeah, in a related point, Pop only goes hard at players he knows can handle it. He could scream at Duncan and Parker because Pop knew they wouldn't crumble. Pop also knows he has to be gentle with more delicate personalities like Aldridge, DeRozan, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm nice write up OP. It seemed like Lonnie was legitimately scared of nephew... but then again getting him actual playing time before this game and having his confidence up and his role defined could’ve changed his mindset as well.
    Last edited by KobesAchilles; 11-01-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Doc
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent breakdown. I didn't see much of that during the game and was focused on Lonnie's few decent possessions and more obvious mistakes. I guess there was a lack of commitment there after all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never fails. I knew his legion of followers in the cult he's built would spin this, replete with the cliché "Pop sees something in him". Like anyone with a brain doesn't. This is nothing more than a premediated attempt to give the genius credit if he becomes a star, so they can pretend he saw it before anyone and had a significant role in it.

What you don't get is, it doesn't even matter if he was right; it's tone deaf to this generation. This organization/city already doesn't appeal to superstar/star American millennials, so they can't afford to exacerbate it with things like this.

"helped mold some of the best defensive teams in history", as if it took a genius to wring that from Robinson, Duncan, Bowen, S bag, Green, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I've noticed about Lonnie, a good thing potential wise, is that he has what I call 'cornerback hips'. In the NFL, you can have two guys the same height and weight, and with identical 40 times, and one can be a cornerback, while the other will not be anything other than a nickle back or a safety. An elite corner has the ability to open his hips while back pedaling, so the can quickly change direction and pick up his receiver. The same physical profile allows one to slip through and around screens in the NBA with minimal contact. It's really tough to pick off these guys cleanly. You know who else has this? Dejounte.

Lonnie can be an ELITE defender if he pulls his head out of his ass, and accepts and embraces the challenge, and I'm talking All NBA Defense teams in his future and maybe a DPOY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So when Pop buries him on the bench for the next 10 games, can we get a film room of him handing out towels to Beli?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So when Pop buries him on the bench for the next 10 games, can we get a film room of him handing out towels to Beli?
    Was going to say, a film room can be filled up with others being non compe ive as well, without getting called out. Maybe they need to get called out, as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never fails. I knew his legion of followers in the cult he's built would spin this, replete with the cliché "Pop sees something in him". Like anyone with a brain doesn't. This is nothing more than a premediated attempt to give the genius credit if he becomes a star, so they can pretend he saw it before anyone and had a significant role in it.

What you don't get is, it doesn't even matter if he was right; it's tone deaf to this generation. This organization/city already doesn't appeal to superstar/star American millennials, so they can't afford to exacerbate it with things like this.

"helped mold some of the best defensive teams in history", as if it took a genius to wring that from Robinson, Duncan, Bowen, S bag, Green, etc.
    You're such a colossal , and scared little girl. Live your life in fear if you want, but stop telling other people to.

Here's the list:
    Don Nelson 1335 0
    Jerry Sloan 1221 0
    George Karl 1175 0
    Rick Adelman 1042 0

All of these guys won 1000+ NBA games, had All Star Talent, if not HOF talent, and never won a championship.

Now, this guy:
    Greggory Popovich 1248 5

Five times to the top of the Mountain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, in a related point, Pop only goes hard at players he knows can handle it. He could scream at Duncan and Parker because Pop knew they wouldn't crumble. Pop also knows he has to be gentle with more delicate personalities like Aldridge, DeRozan, etc.
    that says a lot about them

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he plays LW tonight and we see alot of defensive effort from him...

I hope my post ages well...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're such a colossal , and scared little girl. Live your life in fear if you want, but stop telling other people to.

Here's the list:
    Don Nelson 1335 0
    Jerry Sloan 1221 0
    George Karl 1175 0
    Rick Adelman 1042 0

All of these guys won 1000+ NBA games, had All Star Talent, if not HOF talent, and never won a championship.

Now, this guy:
    Greggory Popovich 1248 5

Five times to the top of the Mountain.
    One of the founding members of the cult predictably upset because his god was questioned.

Stop living your life pretending this is the Duncan era and this organization is shielded from the realities of today's landscape. If this organization wants to continue to be a caricature of itself, they're going to be in for a rude awakening (again) and stuck in neutral going forward. Apologists like you might be satisfied with that because of what happened 5-20 years ago, but I'm sure as not.

None of those guys lucked into coaching the talent the genius did.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And he hit Kawhi few times and he /Leonard/ said thank you so much I'm gone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he plays LW tonight and we see alot of defensive effort from him...

I hope my post ages well...
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Pop gets mad, but rarely stays mad. Remember when he pulled DJ from the Portland game after the fumbled behind the back pass? He made him walk past him, arms folded, death stare, not one word. DJ was back in less than 2 minutes later.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The fallacy here is taking what might be broadly true of a large population (this generation/millenials) and applying it to a single person.

Everybody is different. Pop thinks this is the best way to specifically get the best out of Lonnie Walker IV. That's it. If Pop was so out of tune, wouldn't he be giving this sort of treatment to everyone? I don't see him being this publicly harsh to Murray or White, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could also scream at Manu, too. Can't forget that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fallacy here is taking what might be broadly true of a large population (this generation/millenials) and applying it to a single person.

Everybody is different. Pop thinks this is the best way to specifically get the best out of Lonnie Walker IV. That's it. If Pop was so out of tune, wouldn't he be giving this sort of treatment to everyone? I don't see him being this publicly harsh to Murray or White, for example.
    The NBA is like a cliché high-school movie. Of course it's possible Walker is different (and right now, he might be, but they should be thinking ahead), but this organization just got burned in part for presuming as much with S bag, yet they've apparently failed to learn their lesson.

Pop is a senile caricature of himself, still thinks this is the Duncan era and he matters or that the next generation grew up with them as the model. A guy like Walker probably only really remembers the '14 championship. He probably looked up to Bryant, James, Wade, Durant, Curry, the Warriors, etc. growing up.

He'll take his now because he has to . . . but 5 years down the line, if he's become a star, things like this could be part of the reason why he doesn't want to spend his prime here. It's symtomatic of the archaic/militaristic culture.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    i was pretty irritated with the comment but watching the breakdown timvp laid out and Pop was 100% correct. i dont agree with calling him out like that though, pretty ty thing to do especially considering the kid hasnt gotten any burn really and then you throw him out to guard the best player in the nba? pretty dumb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was pretty irritated with the comment but watching the breakdown timvp laid out and Pop was 100% correct. i dont agree with calling him out like that though, pretty ty thing to do especially considering the kid hasnt gotten any burn really and then you throw him out to guard the best player in the nba? pretty dumb
    Pop understands that Millennials will absorb things much better when they see it on social media/online so when he called him out, it was with purpose to get him to see those clips and find it within himself to improve. Of course Pop has talked to him about it away from the media but to also do it in the media is a sure way for it to stay with a kid like Walker.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has his methods to develop a player and you cant really question it given we’ve been one of the most successful franchises in any sport. Nevertheless, you would have to be blind not to see that Walker will be something special. He will be part of the rotation and no way Marco beats him out.

Thread Information