My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Hating on vet stars that force their way to the Lakers again? These small market owners are soft. SMH

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point I don't even give a , the damage has already been done to the Spurs and this is five years too late as far as I'm concerned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Player must play contract # of years, minus two. 5 year contract? You’re untradeable for 3 years, period.

A lot of players are doing this with the SuperMax, since only your drafting team can give you that, unless traded on your rookie contract. It should COST YOU as a player to force your way out. Another way might be that if you force your way out, the Supermax reverts to a regular maximum salary. That hits now, and in later contracts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point I don't even give a , the damage has already been done to the Spurs and this is five years too late as far as I'm concerned.
    Yet he wants to call out Buford for "starting load management" but hasn't done to curtail it. Even the $250K fine came from Stern and that was almost 10 years ago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Player must play contract # of years, minus two. 5 year contract? You’re untradeable for 3 years, period.

A lot of players are doing this with the SuperMax, since only your drafting team can give you that, unless traded on your rookie contract. It should COST YOU as a player to force your way out. Another way might be that if you force your way out, the Supermax reverts to a regular maximum salary. That hits now, and in later contracts.
    Kawhi probably wanted the Spurs to give him that SuperMax, THEN would have started his tirade to go to L.A. Spurs called his bluff, and he didn't like it

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Untradeable would also mean, teams could not salary dump players limited by severe injuries 1.5 yrs into their contracts...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish the rules were teams are allowed to give one supermax contract and cannot go over the cap unless you are signing players you drafted. Lol without knowing much about cap space this would even out the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Untradeable would also mean, teams could not salary dump players limited by severe injuries 1.5 yrs into their contracts...
    We’re talking about super stars on max contracts. When has that ever happened? Not the injury itself, but just paying to dump an all star level player that early in a contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost irrelevant to us at this point as we likely won’t have a player worth of a max deal anytime soon but still needs to be addressed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re talking about super stars on max contracts. When has that ever happened? Not the injury itself, but just paying to dump an all star level player that early in a contract.
    I agree in case of maxed out superstars. Very unlikely to happen.

But Hayward is just two years into his 120/4 contract...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And then there are cancerous players like Irving.

It's three years into the current contract now, but he was a problem earlier, and untradeable in your scenario...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's three years into the current contract now, but he was a problem earlier, and untradeable in your scenario...
    Three years into a 4 year contract is tradeable in my scenario. So is two years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hayward is also tradeable in my scenario, since he now has two years left on his contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes they are.

Those two were just the first two examples that popped up.

I would imagine there could be others, especially in the future.

So I don't think the owners will be ok with such a rule. But we will see...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big problem is the contracts: Here is a problem and a solution. Wouldn't pass in the NBAPA though.
    1 . Why give a 5% or 8% raise to someone that hasn't improved 5 or 8 percent more. Its crazy . Make the contracts flat. You get the same amount every year. When a contract starts at 25 million and ends at 35 million in a few years but the player does less and wants more, there's something wrong with that picture.
    2. Super Max. Get rid of it. Definitely let a player get paid more the year he really does well, but every year he doesn't, no Max money. Similar to above.
    3. Fix contracts like they do to rookies. 4 year contracts - 2 guaranteed 2 years team opt 3 year contracts 2 guaranteed 1 year team opt 2 year contracts 1 yr guaranteed 1 year team opt
    4. Players demanding a trade before half of the contract is over should be fined 10% more than their daily rate of pay. Maybe have a system in place where they can buy out the rest of their contract plus more as compensation to the offended team. I'm sorry but Kevin Durant is not worth 5-7 draft picks. He's a really good player, but he's not worth that many picks plus he's 30 plus years old.

Right now they players have too much power and some tend to really take advantage. Teams are finding out some super star players are more trouble than they are worth. Its time for a change in the rules.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big problem is the contracts: Here is a problem and a solution. Wouldn't pass in the NBAPA though.
    1 . Why give a 5% or 8% raise to someone that hasn't improved 5 or 8 percent more. Its crazy . Make the contracts flat. You get the same amount every year. When a contract starts at 25 million and ends at 35 million in a few years but the player does less and wants more, there's something wrong with that picture.
    2. Super Max. Get rid of it. Definitely let a player get paid more the year he really does well, but every year he doesn't, no Max money. Similar to above.
    3. Fix contracts like they do to rookies. 4 year contracts - 2 guaranteed 2 years team opt 3 year contracts 2 guaranteed 1 year team opt 2 year contracts 1 yr guaranteed 1 year team opt
    4. Players demanding a trade before half of the contract is over should be fined 10% more than their daily rate of pay. Maybe have a system in place where they can buy out the rest of their contract plus more as compensation to the offended team. I'm sorry but Kevin Durant is not worth 5-7 draft picks. He's a really good player, but he's not worth that many picks plus he's 30 plus years old.

Right now they players have too much power and some tend to really take advantage. Teams are finding out some super star players are more trouble than they are worth. Its time for a change in the rules.
    Players Association had fought long and hard for those changes. No way in they agree to that in a future CBA. And the Owner's will never hold a lockout long enough to force their hand. At best you'd get very watered down max contracts or some reduction for players seeking a new team in the first year or two.

But there's not going back on most of what they've already collectively bargained.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe add a line in the contracts that has to be agreed upon that the team has a no trade clause also for the first 2 years.

If the player doesn't want to sign that... big Uh Oh for the team.

Only for Max contracts, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players Association had fought long and hard for those changes. No way in they agree to that in a future CBA. And the Owner's will never hold a lockout long enough to force their hand. At best you'd get very watered down max contracts or some reduction for players seeking a new team in the first year or two.

But there's not going back on most of what they've already collectively bargained.
    I stated in the original post that it wouldn't pass, but I still feel something needs to be done. We've gone past the point of fair. The Nets negotiated in good faith with Durant giving him his money and now he wants out. Not fair. Russ makes 47 million and can't be traded because he make too much money for teams to absorb without gutting their team - not fair. A fairer system to help both teams and players survive is needed (especially in small markets) otherwise its back to the same old system of who has or willing to spend the most money that wins. That was the system in place before serious player negotiations took place. The owners were in charge many years ago and now its the players. A negotiated move towards the center is what's needed or I do believe the owners will hold out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just make it completely fair. If a player has a contract of two years or longer, he can’t ask out for two years, but also, the team cannot trade him for those two years, either. Or whatever period of time.

What makes it possible for a player to demand a trade is the ability of the team to trade him. So, take away the ability of the team to trade him.

A player can’t demand a trade when it isn’t possible for the team to trade him. Problem solved.

And the owners would scream bloody murder if THEY had to honor the contracts they signed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just do what the NHL has done. if a player sits out, his contract is stalled. so he gets no money, and his contract prolongs simply. as long as he doesn't fulfill his contractual duty, he never gets paid again.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not definitive, but I found four instances of the NBA fining teams for "improperly reporting" players who didn't play in 2020-2021; IOW the Spurs Stern fine.
    76ers were fined three times about Embiid.
    Suns were fined once about Booker.

Thread Information