Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    warriors can still drop to 2nd seed..Kerr will rest his starters at end of regular season
    Fine line between getting butt- ed by the Dubs and having a compe ive series vs. the Nuggets (where we will be extremely hard-pressed to win a game in Denver but with a good opportunity of winning all 3 home games, tbh.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Denver isn't totally out of the 1 seed either.

Still a long ways to go to see how things shake out.
    warriors can still drop to 2nd seed..Kerr will rest his starters at end of regular season
    Ok. Reformulating...I just want the Spurs get the seed that allows them to play one of Denver/Blazers/OKC in first round.

For whatever reason we match so well vs them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah they really suck OKC off that team would be a good match with the Spurs if the refs called the game evenly but that never happens against OKC.
    We won games vs them this season. Granted ThundeRefs is a big deal in playoffs but if DeRozan can find his game/LMA can co-exist with other volumen scorers/White keeps his level...I would love that series. Spurs in 6.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes this season especially frustrating are the games the Spurs gave away and their 3 gear downshift on the road. They play like two completely different teams home and away.

They very easily should be around the 3 seed right now had they played better in some of their easier games. The Spurs have the worst record against the east of any western playoff team by far. Now we’re fight for that last playoff spot....again.
    The Spurs are 4-1 in 1 point games so those games could have gone either way too. So the Spurs have won some they could have easily lost too.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be lovely if somehow the Spurs upset the Rockets in the first round. That probably would make D’antoni to quit coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After a big win against the league's top team in both record and defense, the Spurs are riding a 5-game winning streak and suddenly, the bottom end of the Magic Numbers list is looking much more manageable.

The Spurs are now tied with the Jazz and Clippers for 6th place (game-wise), and the Kings have fallen to four games behind the pack. Despite playing well recently, Sacramento still hasn't been able to make up much ground...a few more losses could send them into a tailspin that would all but cement the top 8 teams.

Re-arranged to reflect current standings:

Upcoming games this week:

March 12th - SAS @ DAL - Considering this game could be worth up to 3 magic numbers, a win here would essentially be a knock-out blow in the Magic Number column for the Mavericks. However, going into Dallas and getting a victory has always been a challenge for the Spurs regardless of who lines up against them. The Spurs have won the first two matchups this season but only by a combined nine points, so they should not get too complacent with the Mavericks' shoddy record if they want to keep their win streak running.

March 15th - NYK @ SAS - With the New York's annual victory against the Spurs already out of the way, this has to be a vengeance game. Two weeks ago, the dysfunctional Knicks unceremoniously ran the Spurs out of Madison Square Garden in what could be viewed as the low-point of the season. Now, the Spurs have a chance for payback against a team that is more focused on Zion Williamson than winning basketball games. There really is no excuse to lose this one.

March 16th - POR @ SAS - Hopefully the Spurs will be able to get guys some rest against New York, because they face a tough back-to-back against a potential playoff foe who is playing well right now. The Spurs are currently only 2.5 games behind the Blazers so it's far from impossible to catch them in the standings, especially if they leave San Antonio with a loss. More importantly, this would knot the H2H schedule at 2-2 and send a potential tiebreaker to Conference Record where the Spurs currently hold a significant advantage. This is easily the most important game of the week.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can anyone explain how these magic numbers work?

Apologies for being a noob.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The magic number column is how many wins the Spurs must achieve in order to move ahead of that team in the playoff standings. So if you look at the Warriors, the Spurs need 24 wins to move ahead of them. Since there are only 15 games left, Spurs would have to go 15 -0, and the Warriors would have to go 7-9 to overtake them, 24 wins worth. Won't happen, but it is mathematically possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A Magic number is a combination of your team's upcoming wins and team x's losses that will ensure that team x finishes behind your team in the standings. I think tie-breakers also factor in, because if your team owns the tie-breaker, team x has to finish one game ahead of your team, or risk elimination.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks guys. 'ppreciate it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC has a brutal schedule coming up. If we take care of business we could pass them up tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC has a brutal schedule coming up. If we take care of business we could pass them up tbh.
    You weren't kidding...OKC has the 4th hardest schedule remaining.

Even tougher is MIN, who has the 2nd hardest schedule. In their last 15 games they play the Nuggets (2x), Jazz, Rockets, Warriors (2x), Clippers, Sixers, Blazers, Thunder, and Raptors.

That's 11 out of 15 games against playoff teams. I don't see them surviving that gauntlet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After a big win against the league's top team in both record and defense, the Spurs are riding a 5-game winning streak and suddenly, the bottom end of the Magic Numbers list is looking much more manageable.

The Spurs are now tied with the Jazz and Clippers for 6th place (game-wise), and the Kings have fallen to four games behind the pack. Despite playing well recently, Sacramento still hasn't been able to make up much ground...a few more losses could send them into a tailspin that would all but cement the top 8 teams.

Re-arranged to reflect current standings:

Upcoming games this week:

March 12th - SAS @ DAL - Considering this game could be worth up to 3 magic numbers, a win here would essentially be a knock-out blow in the Magic Number column for the Mavericks. However, going into Dallas and getting a victory has always been a challenge for the Spurs regardless of who lines up against them. The Spurs have won the first two matchups this season but only by a combined nine points, so they should not get too complacent with the Mavericks' shoddy record if they want to keep their win streak running.

March 15th - NYK @ SAS - With the New York's annual victory against the Spurs already out of the way, this has to be a vengeance game. Two weeks ago, the dysfunctional Knicks unceremoniously ran the Spurs out of Madison Square Garden in what could be viewed as the low-point of the season. Now, the Spurs have a chance for payback against a team that is more focused on Zion Williamson than winning basketball games. There really is no excuse to lose this one.

March 16th - POR @ SAS - Hopefully the Spurs will be able to get guys some rest against New York, because they face a tough back-to-back against a potential playoff foe who is playing well right now. The Spurs are currently only 2.5 games behind the Blazers so it's far from impossible to catch them in the standings, especially if they leave San Antonio with a loss. More importantly, this would knot the H2H schedule at 2-2 and send a potential tiebreaker to Conference Record where the Spurs currently hold a significant advantage. This is easily the most important game of the week.
    Thanks for these updates Dex. I'm loving this thread. Especially with us winning.

Since the games against Knicks and Blazers are back to backs. i seriously hope Pop doesn't make the same mistake and rest a player or two against the Knicks. We just can't have that. Please don't rest anyone. Thats my biggest concern. I truly think this team can with both if we have every playing in both games.

The mindset should be, play the knicks with everyone but put the foot on the gas and try to blow them out. Giving the starters rest for the next game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You weren't kidding...OKC has the 4th hardest schedule remaining.

Even tougher is MIN, who has the 2nd hardest schedule. In their last 15 games they play the Nuggets (2x), Jazz, Rockets, Warriors (2x), Clippers, Sixers, Blazers, Thunder, and Raptors.

That's 11 out of 15 games against playoff teams. I don't see them surviving that gauntlet.
    Yeah OKC has to face like 7 playoff teams in a row or something like that.

And Minny might shut down Towns for the season so expect them to go like 4-11 to finish off the season. They'll probably end up drafting another Kentucky loser

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still can't believe how well the Clippers have played since the trade. I mean props to them but that 1st round pick would have been nice to have this year, I'd much rather have tanked it and finished 9th tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still can't believe how well the Clippers have played since the trade. I mean props to them but that 1st round pick would have been nice to have this year, I'd much rather have tanked it and finished 9th tbh.
    They've got two MAX slots for this summer, two future first rounders from the Philly Trade, including Miami's 2021 unprotected pick, two second rounders, and 2018 Philly first round pick Landry Shamet. They'll be just fine if they make the playoffs. Jerry West isn't going to fumble MAX slots like his doofus counterpart across town.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like this thread, but it's scary at the same time realizing how our magic number with the Kings sits at 13 with 15 games to go. Hopefully we can start hitting some doubles with us winning and them losing to pull that number down so we're not in the last 3 games of the season still fighting for a playoff spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like this thread, but it's scary at the same time realizing how our magic number with the Kings sits at 13 with 15 games to go. Hopefully we can start hitting some doubles with us winning and them losing to pull that number down so we're not in the last 3 games of the season still fighting for a playoff spot.
    Yeah, they are not out of the race by any means.

If both teams ended the rest of the season on the right side of .500, that would put the Spurs at 8-7 and the Kings at 9-8...and the Spurs will have just edged them out by 3 or 4.

The Kings have been playing much better than I think anyone expected, but they are still 10-10 over their last 20, so .500 for them doesn't seem outlandish even with a fairly balanced schedule.

We will definitely take whatever help they are willing to give, but winning the last matchup against them on March 31st could be vital.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In our last 15 games, we have Dallas twice, Cavs twice, Knicks, Kings*, Wizards and Hawks. Winning all of those very winnable games gets us 9 of the points against Sacto that we need in 8 games, since we will likely have the tiebreaker with Sacto on the second criteria, conference record, and that would be an additional point on top of us winning the game with them and them simultaneously losing the game to us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In our last 15 games, we have Dallas twice, Cavs twice, Knicks, Kings*, Wizards and Hawks. Winning all of those very winnable games gets us 9 of the points against Sacto that we need in 8 games, since we will likely have the tiebreaker with Sacto on the second criteria, conference record, and that would be an additional point on top of us winning the game with them and them simultaneously losing the game to us.
    We only face the Kings three times and they won the first two (ugh), so they already have the tiebreaker.

We can still capture two with a win against them, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you Washington Wizards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I told everyone here how overrated Harris is. Williams and Gali are the leaders of that team. Oh, and the 76ers have not been playing well either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are temporarily the #6 seed. Clippers are beating the Celtics so far which will put us back to 7 if they win.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors semi-tanking down the stretch, positioning themselves for another first round matchup vs. SAS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors semi-tanking down the stretch, positioning themselves for another first round matchup vs. SAS.

and pop will be remembered as the one who got owned by Kerr in the playoffs..lol

spurs should avoid the warriors at all cost..tbh

Thread Information