Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what’s the magic number now after loss to LAC?
    Lots of basketball left with 4 games. None of them will be easy.
    Thunder and Blazers lost while the Nuggets, Jazz, and Clippers all won.

Pretty sure this is where that leaves us:

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 4 games left:
    Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 7
    Jazz (Utah owns tiebreaker) - 5
    Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 4
    Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 3
    Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 3
    Nuggets (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 3
    Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 1

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remaining schedules:

Blazers: @HOU, @SA, @DEN, vs UTA. Brutal, and Lillard has a severe ankle sprain that will likely keep him out of all 4 games. Their hold on a top 4 seed isn't very safe even with a 3-game cushion in the loss column.
    Jazz: vs LAC, @LAL, vs GS, @POR. Not too bad and the Jazz are red hot. They should finish 3rd or 4th.
    Spurs: @LAL, vs POR, vs SAC, @NO. Only one tough game, the Spurs are playing great at home and get the Blazers without Lillard. The Spurs shouldn't drop to 6th but might have a hard time getting above 5th.
    Pelicans: vs MEM, @PHO, @GS, @LAC, vs SA. The Warriors, like the Rockets, are not yet resting everyone even with seeding locked up. The Clippers likely won't have anything to play for by the time that matchup happens, so 3-1 in the first four of those sounds right. That last game will be YUGE for both teams.
    Thunder: @HOU, Mia, vs MEM. The Heat have a playoff spot locked up but can't crack the top 4. They might actually semi-tank to avoid Cleveland in round 1. The Rockets have been up and down but Harden is still playing just about every game so the Thunder should be underdogs in that game.
    Wolves: @DEN, @LAL, vs MEM, vs DEN. Those games with Denver will be dogfights and if either team loses both matchups it will probably mean the 9th seed.
    Nuggets: vs MIN, @LAC, vs POR, @MIN. See above.
    Clippers: @UTA, vs DEN, vs NO, vs LAL. Last night's loss notwithstanding there isn't much to worry about here. They should be eliminated from playoff contention by the end of the week. They can be a serious spoiler though.

Utah and Portland should get the 3 and 4 seeds in some order. The Spurs shouldn't fall below 6th given their schedule, though another loss to the Lakers would be brutal. I fully expect them to win the two home games but drop the season finale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remaining schedules:

Blazers: @HOU, @SA, @DEN, vs UTA. Brutal, and Lillard has a severe ankle sprain that will likely keep him out of all 4 games. Their hold on a top 4 seed isn't very safe even with a 3-game cushion in the loss column.
    Jazz: vs LAC, @LAL, vs GS, @POR. Not too bad and the Jazz are red hot. They should finish 3rd or 4th.
    Spurs: @LAL, vs POR, vs SAC, @NO. Only one tough game, the Spurs are playing great at home and get the Blazers without Lillard. The Spurs shouldn't drop to 6th but might have a hard time getting above 5th.
    Pelicans: vs MEM, @PHO, @GS, @LAC, vs SA. The Warriors, like the Rockets, are not yet resting everyone even with seeding locked up. The Clippers likely won't have anything to play for by the time that matchup happens, so 3-1 in the first four of those sounds right. That last game will be YUGE for both teams.
    Thunder: @HOU, Mia, vs MEM. The Heat have a playoff spot locked up but can't crack the top 4. They might actually semi-tank to avoid Cleveland in round 1. The Rockets have been up and down but Harden is still playing just about every game so the Thunder should be underdogs in that game.
    Wolves: @DEN, @LAL, vs MEM, vs DEN. Those games with Denver will be dogfights and if either team loses both matchups it will probably mean the 9th seed.
    Clippers: @UTA, vs DEN, vs NO, vs LAL. Last night's loss notwithstanding there isn't much to worry about here. They should be eliminated from playoff contention by the end of the week. They can be a serious spoiler though.

Utah and Portland should get the 3 and 4 seeds in some order. The Spurs shouldn't fall below 6th given their schedule, though another loss to the Lakers would be brutal. I fully expect them to win the two home games but drop the season finale.
    Portland's schedule just got harder with Lillard getting hurt.

If the Spurs hadn't pulled another fourth quarter chokejob against the Clippers, 3rd seed could have been a real possibility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thunder and Blazers lost while the Nuggets, Jazz, and Clippers all won.

Pretty sure this is where that leaves us:

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 4 games left:
    Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 7
    Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 3
    Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 1
    Remaining schedules:

Nice work guys. 5th seed here we come.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need home court in round one to have any chance in he## of winning a first round series. Even if they do get home court, if they lose one home game, they're done in that series too.

I can't believe how pathetic they've been on the road. Winning home games against great teams tells me it's not because they lack talent that they're losing all these road games, or even missing a closer as they're doing OK at home without Kawhi. It's pretty much all mental. They really are showing that they have no mental toughness whatsoever.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    get over it ...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs aren’t going to win 2 of their final 3 after this debacle, they’d better hope the Wolves-Nuggets don’t split and one of those teams drops both games and falls out of contention.

Three team tiebreakers can come into play here too, so need to start thinking about those.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today we have rockets blazers... Clippers jazz, and Timberwolves v nuggets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pls update this after. Magic number stuff is vexing me.
    Spurs could have won on e of the games and taken care of business but they are currently that challenged. (Still can't get over how poor Tony has been pkaying)... A few good minutes from him swings those games....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland's schedule just got harder with Lillard getting hurt.

If the Spurs hadn't pulled another fourth quarter chokejob against the Clippers, 3rd seed could have been a real possibility.
    Agree. I thought Blazers would beat Mavs, with #3 secured, just put the bench agaist us next game. But they lost their last two games...Spurs 3rd seed is still possible.

#3 or #4..This Spurs team needs HCA in first round desperately...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 6
    Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 2
    Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 0

3 games left for los spurs

pelikan/suns and Wolves/lakers today.

Nugs, clips and houston, thunder, and pelikan warriors...wooh what a slate of games for us, oh and a likely first round match at this point, spurs at blazers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what scenario would the spurs fall to 9th?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think in order to fall to 9th, the Spurs would have to go 1-2 while the wolves win out and the nuggets go 2-1 with their only loss being against the wolves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One and done this year, doesnt matter the seeding. Thanks Kawhi you beta got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think in order to fall to 9th, the Spurs would have to go 1-2 while the wolves win out and the nuggets go 2-1 with their only loss being against the wolves.
    Shades of 2015...only worse. Spurs could likely have a must-win final game against the Pelicans...and both teams could be playing for a playoff spot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers up 10 on the Wolves late in the 2nd quarter. If the Lakers win, that leaves the Spurs clinching a playoff spot with one more win or Wolves loss.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No help tonight, but Spurs stayed at 34 losses and either Minnesota or Denver (or both) will get to 36 losses. Win one of the final two and the Spurs are in the playoffs.

Should they lose both games, Spurs are 2-1 against the Wolves so would win the tiebreaker and 2-2 against the Nuggets. Spurs and Nuggets would also have identical conference records, so it would come down to better record against teams eligible for the playoffs (including any tied). Would need to dig deeper to figure this out.

If a three way tie, Spurs would be 4-3 in common games, so would make the playoffs. Wolves likely miss out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Wolves beat Denver, we're definitely in...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IIRC, Portland hasn't clinched the 3 seed yet, which means they won't rest anybody against Denver..

Even when the Spurs were actually a good road team, they still struggled in New Orleans..can't imagine how they could win there with this year's embarrassing road form..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing insane the Spurs had to beat Portland in their 80th game of the season to keep their playoff hopes alive. And they're not close to .500.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the highest seed we can realistically get? 4?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the updates.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah wins out and they get the 3 seed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ugh, the 7-8 seed scenario seems likely IMO.. I'd rather miss the playoffs than get embarrassed by the Warriors or Rockets..

Just couldn't hold 1 lead against either the Clippers or Lakers, that's all they needed to do..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ugh, the 7-8 seed scenario seems likely IMO.. I'd rather miss the playoffs than get embarrassed by the Warriors or Rockets..

Just couldn't hold 1 lead against either the Clippers or Lakers, that's all they needed to do..
    Agreed I hate both teams and their fan bases. I rather not give them the satisfaction of beating the Spurs.

Thread Information