Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He sounds like the first piece of a new puzzling era. If he passes Pop's interview, then I suppose I would be excited, but from the outside, it's hard to say with this guy. I don't see him as being a centerpiece for a good team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He sounds like the first piece of a new puzzling era. If he passes Pop's interview, then I suppose I would be excited, but from the outside, it's hard to say with this guy. I don't see him as being a centerpiece for a good team.
    Agreed but the thing is he doesn’t have to interview for the max elsewhere and Pop probably shouldn’t be interviewing any long term free agent at this point.

I genuinely can’t see him even sniffing PATFO’s radar. Nothing to do with that little quarrel with Monty to end their season or his gaming or other small blah blah blah type stuff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blocks per game 2021

6. Jakob Poeltl 1.8
    17. DeAndre Ayton 1.2
    0.6 per game for block is significant, that's like 33% difference between them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is a versatile defender. In one on one, hedging, switching, and drop big.

Poeltl is better as a drop big. Oksy at hedging and switching. Below par in one on one post D.

Ayton is also much better on O minus passing. Unsure of screening though. Poeltl is a damn good screener and I haven't watch enough on ayton there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    0.6 per game for block is significant, that's like 33% difference between them.
    that's bascially one block every 2 games, I'll take that for added scoring and better post up D

Is it 2021 already?

Ayton dropped to a piddly 0.7 this last season (a contract season!).

Even in 2021, per 36 minutes, Poeltl registered 2.4 blocks, Ayton registered 1.4.
    he's obviously capable of blocking more shots since he did that the years before

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he'll be top target for the spurs come offseason especially if they lose out on the top bigs in this draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's bascially one block every 2 games, I'll take that for added scoring and better post up D

he's obviously capable of blocking more shots since he did that the years before
    But he didn't. I keep telling you to look at the per 36 numbers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's get the obligatory Bleacher Report out of the way: 1 Trade for Every Team Not in the 2022 NBA Finals | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Pending the top 8 playing out how they appear to be, I'd probably do this.

He might be flaky, but he fits with the soft re-build format and they'd be hard pressed to get a better talent in the near future. Plus, they'd retain all the key youth, multiple 1sts in this draft and all picks going forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's get the obligatory Bleacher Report out of the way: 1 Trade for Every Team Not in the 2022 NBA Finals | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

He might be flaky, but he fits with the soft re-build format and they'd be hard pressed to get a better talent in the near future. Plus, they'd retain all the key youth, multiple 1sts in this draft and all picks going forward.
    Clearly written by a Suns fan who wants Grant.

I don’t see a need to make it a 4 way trade, when spurs can deal with Suns directly. I also don’t think the spurs are that interested TBH to give up 9, Jakob, Richardson, and a 2nd while eating Sarics deal too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly written by a Suns fan who wants Grant.

I don’t see a need to make it a 4 way trade, when spurs can deal with Suns directly. I also don’t think the spurs are that interested TBH to give up 9, Jakob, Richardson, and a 2nd while eating Sarics deal too.
    I'm pretty sure he's a Raptors fanboy.

Yeah, I was more so focused on the Spurs-Suns portion. Given that the 9th pick is likely to be some flawed role player, that's actually not that much to lock in a young, core piece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's Bleacher Report because the trade is patently illegal. Leaving out that it's bad and misunderstands sign-and-trades in terms of value, it's impossible to do legally. It's gross that a person paid to write about basketball doesn't know that.

You cannot sign-and-trade using picks made during a draft. No, you also can't discuss it beforehand and just execute it afterward. No, you can't have a wink-wink deal to do the trade and pretend like it wasn't discussed. And no, it's not done all the time and would not be allowed.

The Spurs aren't trading 9 in any deal for a player not under contract after the end of the year. It has not legs, and it's not even a rumor worth discussing. The Spurs would be foolish to trade a ton for ing Ayton when they are the ones paying him a max contract. If this were legal, the Spurs wouldn't be giving Richards, 9 and 38. They'd probably give McDermott, 25 and a future heavily protected pick. The Spurs are not a cap cow for other clubs to make their ends meet. Not for free they aren't.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's Bleacher Report because the trade is patently illegal. Leaving out that it's bad and misunderstands sign-and-trades in terms of value, it's impossible to do legally. It's gross that a person paid to write about basketball doesn't know that.

You cannot sign-and-trade using picks made during a draft. No, you also can't discuss it beforehand and just execute it afterward. No, you can't have a wink-wink deal to do the trade and pretend like it wasn't discussed. And no, it's not done all the time and would not be allowed.

The Spurs aren't trading 9 in any deal for a player not under contract after the end of the year. It has not legs, and it's not even a rumor worth discussing. The Spurs would be foolish to trade a ton for ing Ayton when they are the ones paying him a max contract. If this were legal, the Spurs wouldn't be giving Richards, 9 and 38. They'd probably give McDermott, 25 and a future heavily protected pick. The Spurs are not a cap cow for other clubs to make their ends meet. Not for free they aren't.
    Whether you like it or not, it's probably realistic as far as the value they'd need to give up to get him or a player of his caliber.

Not legally of course, but you can absolutely have the parameters in place before hand (seeing if he's interested and who the Suns would be interested in at 9) and even if you're correct on the rest, since the Spurs are likely to end up in the same range next season, they could put protections on the '23 1st so that it conveys if in this range.

The Suns have leverage here too. They're not giving away a valuable player for a pile of crap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether you like it or not, it's probably realistic as far as the value they'd need to give up to get him or a player of his caliber.
    No, the value they need to give up for him (or rather a player of his caliber, since he's not a good target) is cap space. We aren't talking about trading for a guy under contract. The point of having cap space is so you don't trade assets to acquire players. It doesn't help that Ayton is much closer to Poeltl than he is to the big two centers. Poeltl's in the "can win with him" category. He might be the only player on the roster in that category. Trading for a guy who is at best at the top of that category using all of their flexibility is a horrible use of assets.

Not legally of course, but you can absolutely have the parameters in place before hand (seeing if he's interested and who the Suns would be interested in at 9) and even if you're correct on the rest, since the Spurs are likely to end up in the same range next season, they could put protections on the '23 1st so that it conveys if in this range.
    No, "having the parameters in place" is the part that's illegal. The trade itself is impossible before the new league year. That wasn't the issue. The issue is the NBA is specifically putting an emphasis on S&Ts that are discussed before the moratorium. That's what the teams are getting dinged for nowadays. It's not even a "just don't be obvious about it" thing anymore. Teams are pushing for the league to clamp down, so there's no getting cute and just pretending like the Spurs just happened to draft the Suns target at 9.

As far as next year's pick goes, if the Spurs are likely to convey lotto pick again, what is the point in trading for Ayton? How good is he if he doesn't improve the Spurs past what the team with Poeltl is already doing?

The Suns have leverage here too. They're not giving away a valuable player for a pile of crap.
    The leverage is why they'd get a first and a shooter for him as opposed to nothing. Against some teams, they could definitely push for assets, because those teams need Phoenix to take back contracts or at least agree to trade him. The Spurs don't. The Spurs can max him and force Phoenix to match, and with their salary situation, they can't max a guy they don't want to keep. If they want to keep him, no amount of firsts will change their minds. If the Spurs want Ayton and the Suns don't, Phoenix will need to come correct, because they can't force Ayton to sign with another team like they could trade him wherever in a normal trade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, the value they need to give up for him (or rather a player of his caliber, since he's not a good target) is cap space. We aren't talking about trading for a guy under contract. The point of having cap space is so you don't trade assets to acquire players. It doesn't help that Ayton is much closer to Poeltl than he is to the big two centers. Poeltl's in the "can win with him" category. He might be the only player on the roster in that category. Trading for a guy who is at best at the top of that category using all of their flexibility is a horrible use of assets.

No, "having the parameters in place" is the part that's illegal. The trade itself is impossible before the new league year. That wasn't the issue. The issue is the NBA is specifically putting an emphasis on S&Ts that are discussed before the moratorium. That's what the teams are getting dinged for nowadays. It's not even a "just don't be obvious about it" thing anymore. Teams are pushing for the league to clamp down, so there's no getting cute and just pretending like the Spurs just happened to draft the Suns target at 9.

As far as next year's pick goes, if the Spurs are likely to convey lotto pick again, what is the point in trading for Ayton? How good is he if he doesn't improve the Spurs past what the team with Poeltl is already doing?

The leverage is why they'd get a first and a shooter for him as opposed to nothing. Against some teams, they could definitely push for assets, because those teams need Phoenix to take back contracts or at least agree to trade him. The Spurs don't. The Spurs can max him and force Phoenix to match, and with their salary situation, they can't max a guy they don't want to keep. If they want to keep him, no amount of firsts will change their minds. If the Spurs want Ayton and the Suns don't, Phoenix will need to come correct, because they can't force Ayton to sign with another team like they could trade him wherever in a normal trade.
    Wrong. The point of cap space is so you have flexibility and again, a market/organization like this is going to have difficulty signing high end free agents at the best of times. Ayton is better than Poeltl now (way more versatile finisher, defender and defensive rebounder) and 3 years younger. Barring something catastrophic, he'll also have better resale value.

Tampering goes hand in hand with professional sports. Obviously, you can't leave an electronic trail from the key decision makers, but there's ways around that.

Not many individuals are taking this team from where they stand to the playoffs. The point would be to have a better core piece, one with an All-Star ceiling.

They'd have up to the trade deadline to sort it out though. They're not getting strong armed into throwing a quality asset in the garbage due to this.
    Last edited by TD 21; 06-05-2022 at 05:23 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where’s he playing next season boys?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    S&T Jakob for Ayton. Who says no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We ain’t doing but imagine Levine and ayton wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, I imagined it and wasn't impressed. Now what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah’s gotta be the favorites in a S&T for Rudy Gobert imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah’s gotta be the favorites in a S&T for Rudy Gobert imo.
    Sarver doesn't want to pay Ayton 30M a season. I don't think he'd be happy to pay 40M a year for an older Gobert

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We just have to wait and see if there is mutual interest. Definitely Jakob would need to be traded, which possibly complicates matters, but the team can make things work if there is interest. I am no capologist, not even near, so I'll just wait to see how things shake out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    S&T Jakob for Ayton. Who says no.

Me. There are a couple potential Aytons in this draft alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just imagined 4 years of the play-in, 2 playoff appearances and getting swept 2x.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me. There are a couple potential Aytons in this draft alone.
    What ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not sure what you are arguing by posting 5yr old footage of his college career.

Thread Information