Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sons I'm about four years late but I just a Nintendo Switch and like most people, BotW is the first one I'm diving into. Liking it so far, but is there any replay value in this game? Seems fun as your first time going out and exploring everything, but I couldn't imagine doing this all over again
    If you're a Zelda junkie like I am, you definitely get some replay value out of it. I've replayed it about 5 or 6 times, the most recent being a master quest runthrough on pro mode (no HUD on screen). Then again, I replay most Zelda games from time to time. It's my fav series, if you didn't guess already.

Seconded as to what Mr. Bum said. Mario Odyssey is a fantastic game, though I would have it being the best Mario since 64.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're a Zelda junkie like I am, you definitely get some replay value out of it. I've replayed it about 5 or 6 times, the most recent being a master quest runthrough on pro mode (no HUD on screen). Then again, I replay most Zelda games from time to time. It's my fav series, if you didn't guess already.

Seconded as to what Mr. Bum said. Mario Odyssey is a fantastic game, though I would have it being the best Mario since 64.
    You ever play the FDS version of Zelda 1? It has way better sound. It's in Japanese but no way you haven't memorized every line of text in that game anyways right? Same for Zelda II though they made a few other changes for the NES version when it came here. Though not always the case with FDS vs NES. Eg I think the music sounds way better in the NES version of Castlevania II Simon's Quest than in the FDS original.

If you ever want to try it there is a great NES, Famicom, and Famicom Disk System emulator called Mesen for PC, and it'll even play the Nintendo VS series arcade games. VS Super Mario Bros was really cool and has some levels that made their way into the ridiculously hard Japanese Super Mario Bros 2. Don't get the official VS Super Mario Bros for Switch though, Hamster completely ed the port up and it has an unplayable level of input lag.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 09-25-2021 at 11:10 AM.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Too big of a game to replay IMO, kind of like Witcher 3. They really nailed the exploration in that one though. Besides, you'll have the sequel to look forward to next year. Highly recommend picking up Super Mario Odyssey too, IMO easily the best Mario game since Super Mario World in 1990.
    I like the fact that while you can pretty much go off wherever you want, you will likely get your ass handed to you for awhile until you get upgraded weapons, armor, etc. Really forces you to think IMO and explore to find out where to get the necessary upgrades. Haven't played TP or Skyward Sword, but with the N64 ones and Wind Waker, you can pretty much manhandle all enemies right off the bat which gets boring.

Odyssey is next on my list once I finish this one tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the fact that while you can pretty much go off wherever you want, you will likely get your ass handed to you for awhile until you get upgraded weapons, armor, etc. Really forces you to think IMO and explore to find out where to get the necessary upgrades. Haven't played TP or Skyward Sword, but with the N64 ones and Wind Waker, you can pretty much manhandle all enemies right off the bat which gets boring.

I love the climbing in BOTW. Both finding routes up mountains searching for Korok seeds and climbing up towers to open the map and then jump down from. It's really cool being able to go anywhere you can see in the distance. I'd always be looking for ways to up my stamina so I could climb more in the game. Practically all I did in the game was climb and explore the world and do shrines and then once I finished that I'd start doing story .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I....didn't really care for TP. Some people love it, it's just meh to me. It takes forever for it to get going but after it does, it's ok. Thing is, don't take anyone's opinion for it, always try it for yourself. I played Skyward Sword for the first time this year, after they made it playable with the pro controller. I liked it; it's a bit linear and long, but it's got a decent story and game mechanics. They took some things from SS for BOTW, like how your shield can break, stamina meter, kinda gliding, etc.

RIP BB, for now at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I....didn't really care for TP. Some people love it, it's just meh to me. It takes forever for it to get going but after it does, it's ok. Thing is, don't take anyone's opinion for it, always try it for yourself. I played Skyward Sword for the first time this year, after they made it playable with the pro controller. I liked it; it's a bit linear and long, but it's got a decent story and game mechanics. They took some things from SS for BOTW, like how your shield can break, stamina meter, kinda gliding, etc.

RIP BB, for now at least.
    Damn Metroid Dread just leaked a few hours ago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was never a big metroid guy but this one looks intriguing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone played this yet? Reviews are generally positive but one of the main negatives is that it's often a grind. Which is probably the biggest turnoff to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice, you can emulate Sega Saturn on Switch now pretty decently

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man the official N64 emulation looks like . LOL paying $50 for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Started playing Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64 Switch Online and then compared it to playing on my New 3DS XL and it was shocking how far superior the game looks on the New 3DS XL. The 3D effect is really done well on it, the colors are more vibrant, and picture is less blurry, man it's like night and day better. Can't believe Nintendo wouldn't just do a non 3D port of this version of the game and make it run at 60 fps on Switch. No way Switch couldn't handle it.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    sons I'm at that depressing point where I'm basically done with BOTW, but just trying to around as much as possible before facing Ganon because I know I probably won't replay it afterwards

Probably my second favorite Zelda after Majora's Mask IMO

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Started playing Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64 Switch Online and then compared it to playing on my New 3DS XL and it was shocking how far superior the game looks on the New 3DS XL. The 3D effect is really done well on it, the colors are more vibrant, and picture is less blurry, man it's like night and day better. Can't believe Nintendo wouldn't just do a non 3D port of this version of the game and make it run at 60 fps on Switch. No way Switch couldn't handle it.
    do you think they'll come out with a TP remake on the Switch? That's the one I missed when it initially came out that I really want to play. I haven't played SS either, but I never thought it looked that great just by looking at videos on Youtube imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do you think they'll come out with a TP remake on the Switch? That's the one I missed when it initially came out that I really want to play. I haven't played SS either, but I never thought it looked that great just by looking at videos on Youtube imo
    Probably not. If they were going to do it I think thy would have this year for Zeldas 35th anniversary. Just pick up a used Wii and hack it if you want to play it. Or a Wii U and hack it if you want to play the remaster.

https://wii.guide
    https://wiiu.hacks.guide

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Though if you have a half decent PC, you can play the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess pretty easily in Dolphin. Here you can see it running full speed on an i5 from 2012 and a very low end GTX 750 gpu.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Though if you have a half decent PC, you can play the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess pretty easily in Dolphin. Here you can see it running full speed on an i5 from 2012 and a very low end GTX 750 gpu.

Yeah I'll probably give Dolphin a shot imo. I tried it with Wind Waker awhile ago and it came out alright from what I remember

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I'll probably give Dolphin a shot imo. I tried it with Wind Waker awhile ago and it came out alright from what I remember
    If your PC is good enough you might also consider Cemu to play the Wii U remaster. Though for that you'll definitely need more gpu horsepower than Dolphin requires.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Has anyone played this yet? Reviews are generally positive but one of the main negatives is that it's often a grind. Which is probably the biggest turnoff to me.
    I finished the game a few days ago. It was fun, the bosses were challenging, and the overall sense of progression was satisfying. I never played a Metroid game before, and I did get lost a few times with all the backtracking, but it was an enjoyable experience. The EMMI zones were definitely frustrating at times. I often died and eventually resorted to just brute forcing my through the sections.

I played through the entire game in handheld mode, so maybe the controls are more intuitive with a traditional controller.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Dp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I finished the game a few days ago. It was fun, the bosses were challenging, and the overall sense of progression was satisfying. I never played a Metroid game before, and I did get lost a few times with all the backtracking, but it was an enjoyable experience. The EMMI zones were definitely frustrating at times. I often died and eventually resorted to just brute forcing my through the sections.

I played through the entire game in handheld mode, so maybe the controls are more intuitive with a traditional controller.
    Man...that's not a ringing endorsement for me. The older I get, the less I want to grind through things. Unless the restarts are super quick and convenient. IE : not having to spend 5 minutes getting back to a tough spot.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Man...that's not a ringing endorsement for me. The older I get, the less I want to grind through things. Unless the restarts are super quick and convenient. IE : not having to spend 5 minutes getting back to a tough spot.
    When exploring an area for the first time, there are checkpoints everywhere. If one goes into a room and is killed, they usually respawn in the previous room. I died plenty of times to bosses and just respawned at the door right before the boss fight. However, if one is going back through old areas and they die, they respawn at the last save spot. That could be frustrating due to how used to the checkpoints I was, but it didn't happen too much and there are lots of save rooms.

Also, don't accidentally choose not to continue after a boss fight; I did that once and had to start back at a save room AND rewatch an unskippable cuisine (cutscenes are slippage after the first time only if one continues).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When exploring an area for the first time, there are checkpoints everywhere. If one goes into a room and is killed, they usually respawn in the previous room. I died plenty of times to bosses and just respawned at the door right before the boss fight. However, if one is going back through old areas and they die, they respawn at the last save spot. That could be frustrating due to how used to the checkpoints I was, but it didn't happen too much and there are lots of save rooms.

Also, don't accidentally choose not to continue after a boss fight; I did that once and had to start back at a save room AND rewatch an unskippable cuisine (cutscenes are slippage after the first time only if one continues).

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Too big of a game to replay IMO, kind of like Witcher 3. They really nailed the exploration in that one though. Besides, you'll have the sequel to look forward to next year. Highly recommend picking up Super Mario Odyssey too, IMO easily the best Mario game since Super Mario World in 1990.
    Mario Odyssey was great IMO. Difficulty-wise, it was good enough to keep you going throughout the whole thing without having the usual 3-4 collectibles that are extremely difficult to collect due to terrible game design which every 3D Mario game seems to have. Like that damm pinball machine from Mario Sunshine with the broken physics engine rofl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mario Odyssey was great IMO. Difficulty-wise, it was good enough to keep you going throughout the whole thing without having the usual 3-4 collectibles that are extremely difficult to collect due to terrible game design which every 3D Mario game seems to have. Like that damm pinball machine from Mario Sunshine with the broken physics engine rofl
    Mario Odyssey was great because it didn't force you to finish a difficult challenge to move on. One of the more frustrating ones was riding the lion thing in the sand world. There was some level in a castle or something that forced you to be pretty precise. And that was just to get through it and not pick up all the coins/etc. I ended up moving on and then coming back much later to round it all out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mario Odyssey was great because it didn't force you to finish a difficult challenge to move on. One of the more frustrating ones was riding the lion thing in the sand world. There was some level in a castle or something that forced you to be pretty precise. And that was just to get through it and not pick up all the coins/etc. I ended up moving on and then coming back much later to round it all out.
    I do like that Super Mario Odyssey does have some very challenging optional levels and moons though. Like on the moon level. Only moon that I thought was total bull to get was the jumping rope one. That was impossible to do 100 times in a row or whatever it was, never get that moon.

Supposedly Super Mario Odyssey 2 got leaked back a while ago on 4chan and of course no one paid attention to it, but apparently that same post linked the new Sonic game just announced so could be legit.

Thread Information