Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was lukewarm to the Suns trade when it was first floated, but once they non tendered Smith and made his contract radioactive, there’s no point. Flip Thad for something or buy him out. Sign Smith at the FA period, agree to take Saric’s contract off their cap for a FRP this summer. They’re desperate to cut payroll, which is why they foolishly non tendered Smith, making him unrestricted. Like their payroll is already sky high, and they have to pay Ayton this summer.
    You were vehement on how bad Jalen Smith was until you read that article about his 5 game stretch…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You were vehement on how bad Jalen Smith was until you read that article about his 5 game stretch…
    And if you looked at his previous numbers, I was right to be. It was an across the board show, points, rebs, FG%,3G%. If you don’t change your mind after that, you’re a fool. I like to see a little something, not just rely on projections, and I did. You can also bet your ass they’re going to bury him on the bench for the rest of the year, hoping no one saw his outburst.

Taking a chance on him is probably better than the chance we took on a guy with 100 screws in his ankle.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who else besides Suns maybe interested in doing a trade for Young?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://airalamo.com/posts/san-anton...ctivity-coming

Windhorst says he's been busy discussing Spurs rumors.
    "I've spent many hours this week talking about the Spurs," answered Windhorst. "That's all I'm going to say because I'd get in trouble." When pushed by Perez to provide more information, Windhorst remained cagey but sounded like he knew much more than he could reveal.

Zollins getting in game shape could be what the Spurs are waiting for to finally move Thad Young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"I've spent many hours this week talking about the Spurs," answered Windhorst. "That's all I'm going to say because I'd get in trouble." When pushed by Perez to provide more information, Windhorst remained cagey but sounded like he knew much more than he could reveal.

Zollins getting in game shape could be what the Spurs are waiting for to finally move Thad Young.
    We are in TANK mode. I don't think we are worried about losing games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10669395[/URL]]So who else besides Suns maybe interested in doing a trade for Young?
    Multiple sources say no one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ haha yeah only way Thad gets moved and we get anything decent back is to help facilitate someone else’s trade. That’s my hope at this point. His lack of minutes and mixed play this year did not help his trade value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ haha yeah only way Thad gets moved and we get anything decent back is to help facilitate someone else’s trade. That’s my hope at this point. His lack of minutes and mixed play this year did not help his trade value.
    Dude, why do people think teams are so stupid they react to only what that player's done in the last few months? No, teams know exactly who Thad Young is. Many teams would like to have him. The problem is in assets, otherwise he'd be moved by now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with the way Jalen Smith has performed recently I'd do the Young for Saric, Smith and a 2nd round pick trade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, why do people think teams are so stupid they react to only what that player's done in the last few months? No, teams know exactly who Thad Young is. Many teams would like to have him. The problem is in assets, otherwise he'd be moved by now.
    What did I say was wrong? I didn’t say he is finished but nothing about this season has helped his trade value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did I say was wrong? I didn’t say he is finished but nothing about this season has helped his trade value.
    No one gives a about how he's played this year. Absolutely no one. I truly will never understand how people think a whole career of play isn't what teams look at while a handful with a new team will change everybody's mind. It boggles the mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with the way Jalen Smith has performed recently I'd do the Young for Saric, Smith and a 2nd round pick trade
    NO. If you want Smith, you get him this summer. Whoever winds up with his contract at the end of the season is screwed. Because of a clause in the CBA, if a team non tenders the year 3 option, which Phoenix did, they are capped at paying him only the amount of his tender, or $4.7M, AND he’s unrestricted. ANY TEAM THAT TRADES FOR HIM INHERITS THAT CONSTRAINT. Phoenix is so screwed capwise, which is the reason they non tendered Smith. You sign him, and rent some of your caproom to take Saric’scontract off their books for an asset. You essentially do half of the trade, later, in order to be able to sign and retain Smith.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't be surprised if Zollins gets a Carrollesque buy out, tbh. Just throwing the idea out there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NO. If you want Smith, you get him this summer. Whoever winds up with his contract at the end of the season is screwed. Because of a clause in the CBA, if a team non tenders the year 3 option, which Phoenix did, they are capped at paying him only the amount of his tender, or $4.7M, AND he’s unrestricted. ANY TEAM THAT TRADES FOR HIM INHERITS THAT CONSTRAINT. Phoenix is so screwed capwise, which is the reason they non tendered Smith. You sign him, and rent some of your caproom to take Saric’scontract off their books for an asset. You essentially do half of the trade, later, in order to be able to sign and retain Smith.
    +1

there's no reason to trade for Smith and Saric now, the first is unrestricted and the second will eat half of your nearly 20 Mo of space next summer.
    Even with a first, i'm not sure i'll do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1

there's no reason to trade for Smith and Saric now, the first is unrestricted and the second will eat half of your nearly 20 Mo of space next summer.
    Even with a first, i'm not sure i'll do it.
    If the cap stays level at $112m we are pushing $30m in space with some movable contracts (Saric’s itself is probably pretty movable this offseason) so I would still consider eating Saric’s deal to add a first to the war chest. That cap space once again will be hard to allocate with few real targets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correct. The other scenario is that Spurs don’t really like Smith — notwithstanding a few games recently where he’s played alright— and wont be sad to see him go this summer making this a non-concern.

So essentially it’s a deal to eat Sarics money for a FRO relieving financial pressure off a historically penny pinching franchise now facing paying for an expensive roster in the years ahead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't be surprised if Zollins gets a Carrollesque buy out, tbh. Just throwing the idea out there.
    Why? He is right on his projected timeline for return, has been active in the community and his teammates appear to really like him. He is young and offers versatility at a position of need. His contract is only 3.5mm guaranteed next year so a buy out is very unlikely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of Collins’ contract isn’t guaranteed, I believe. So it wouldn’t really be a buy out, it would just be letting someone go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. Year 1 is fully guaranteed, year 2 is 50%, year 3 is fully ungauanteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Phoenix is still interested in Young with Biyambo stepping in now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biyambo is bologna. Thad is sliced roast beef. Bismarck may be able to help them some in the regular season, but he has only a limited skill set. He’s not going to get anyone else a shot the way Thad can.

That being said, I think Phoenix is having the realization that they royally screwed themselves with Smith, making him untradeable, and have moved on for that reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Phoenix is still interested in Young with Biyambo stepping in now.
    If that deal was ever on the table and included an FRP it would have been made

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that deal was ever on the table and included an FRP it would have been made
    The only time it would have been feasible would have been before they non-tendered Smith. After that, you’d be picking up a bad contract for a player you can’t re-sign, and a second injured player, this one out for the year.

Watching OKC the last few years, we can probably still get a FRP to accept Saric in a salary dump (9.7M) this summer, he’s playable next year, and we just sign Smith as a FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For Thad's sake I hope he gets traded. He probably doesn't have many impactful years left, and this one is getting wasted.

Thread Information