Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What good does getting swept in the first round or losing the play in do. Spurs made the right move
    If the Spurs made the playoffs, it's not hard to see how it could have been more beneficial than most lotto picks. There aren't a ton of examples of contending teams growing organically, but the ones that do exist often go through a phase where they scrape into the playoffs and put up a good fight while being swept or almost swept by the top seed. OKC had their time against LAL, and Memphis had their time versus the Jazz. If the Spurs earned their way up to the tenth seed and won two play-in games, it's because someone (or multiple someones) took a major leap to drag the Spurs to a strong finish. If that's Murray, it's him taking the step from tentative All-Star to legit All-NBA candidate. If it's Walker or Johnson, the Spurs might have a second All-Star threat next year. If it's Primo or Vassell? I think that's obvious.

The Spurs are a team flush with tradeable assets now. They are MUCH more likely to upgrade the talent on their roster through a trade than through the draft. If they were a playoff team and had those multiple players to build around, it makes acquiring talent that much easier. That could be from having a non-Murray centerpiece in a big deal, or having the talent to get a star acquisition to sign on. The Spurs have two cheap years of Murray left. They have to think long and hard before burning them trying to play the lottery. If it's in the team's power to get to the playoffs, even if it's a guaranteed sweep, I'd rather them do that and accept having three picks in the 15-20 range to use to acquire talent over getting a pick in the middle of the lottery after a demoralizing end to the year where nobody put anything of note together and the team has nothing but Murray and question marks to build upon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said there is no dropoff if you replace White with J-Rich. It's just that Pop doesn't play him to get the young guys some playing time, but the Spurs are not worse one bit and have an extra pick and a swap. The trade was great.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ hoping to be wrong, but Richardson does nothing for me. He has a decent game yesterday but still shouldn’t get any on Vassell’s minutes

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ hoping to be wrong, but Richardson does nothing for me. He has a decent game yesterday but still shouldn’t get any on Vassell’s minutes
    We got two nba level players, 1first rounder, and a 1st swap…… some of you really think we lost the trade??? History hasn’t taught some of you anything. Let the grownups handle things

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a bad trade, but it was really to get off White's salary. They weren't doing anything with him anyway. Kind of a gift to the Celtics all around.
    This makes no sense considering they brought back salary and white is on a good contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because White is playing reasonably well and the Celtics are improved since he joined does not mean the trade was the wrong one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're .500 since the deadline. Lonnie and Vassell have played better. We have another 1st round pick. We have a pick swap. We have a player who isn't really a big dropoff from white overall.

And I'm reading a thread about how it was a mistake. What a stupid ing take.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got two nba level players, 1first rounder, and a 1st swap…… some of you really think we lost the trade??? History hasn’t taught some of you anything. Let the grownups handle things
    I didn't dislike the trade; I'm just saying Richardson doesn't do it for me and I don't see him as one of the assets we got in exchange like others do. Happy to be wrong, but for now I just see him as the salary ballast from the deal.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes no sense considering they brought back salary and white is on a good contract.
    I see 2023 cap space as a one of several things the Spurs got in return but not the primary driver. The deal very well could have fallen apart if Richardson had an extra year on his contract, though. Boston's inclusion of the 2028 pick swap tells me the Spurs either considered themselves to be bargaining from a position of strength or they were on the fence without it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't dislike the trade; I'm just saying Richardson doesn't do it for me and I don't see him as one of the assets we got in exchange like others do. Happy to be wrong, but for now I just see him as the salary ballast from the deal.
    He’s shooting 58% from 3 in his 5 games for a team that desperately needs spacing for drivers and cutters, and is playing good D. I consider him an asset on a short term basis, because guys like him are catnip for contenders, and I think he could bring in a contract that ends in 2023, and a pick in the high 2nd to low 1st range this summer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White or Betty White - doesn’t matter. This team was destined for the lottery.

The front office finally seemed to accept it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This could end up being one of those regrettable threads that gets bumped for years because of how far off it was.

Let's hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s shooting 58% from 3 in his 5 games for a team that desperately needs spacing for drivers and cutters, and is playing good D. I consider him an asset on a short term basis, because guys like him are catnip for contenders, and I think he could bring in a contract that ends in 2023, and a pick in the high 2nd to low 1st range this summer.
    Maybe I am 5000 Miles away from
    You but realy glad to see same thngs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're .500 since the deadline. Lonnie and Vassell have played better. We have another 1st round pick. We have a pick swap. We have a player who isn't really a big dropoff from white overall.

And I'm reading a thread about how it was a mistake. What a stupid ing take.
    The white trade was literally the trade fans have been ing they haven’t made for he past three years

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This could end up being one of those regrettable threads that gets bumped for years because of how far off it was.

Let's hope.
    I’m with you on this one!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's still hard to believe the Celtics agreed to that 2028 pick swap. Six years is a long time in the NBA. Six years ago, Nikola Jokic was a chubby rookie, the Thunder had Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, & Steven Adams, and Isaiah Thomas was averaging over 22 ppg for the Celtics. So many things can move around and change in six years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's still hard to believe the Celtics agreed to that 2028 pick swap. Six years is a long time in the NBA. Six years ago, Nikola Jokic was a chubby rookie, the Thunder had Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, & Steven Adams, and Isaiah Thomas was averaging over 22 ppg for the Celtics. So many things can move around and change in six years.
    Exactly

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Laker performance does heavily skews a small sample size, but happy to be wrong as the season goes on especially if he keeps his trade value up.

I like the deal that much more if he yields us another net positive asset this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Laker performance does heavily skews a small sample size, but happy to be wrong as the season goes on especially if he keeps his trade value up.

I like the deal that much more if he yields us another net positive asset this summer.
    I think he will net us another asset, either this summer or next year at the deadline. He’s a good 3D guy, and a good culture guy, and for a contender, he wouldn’t be too old, still in his late 20s.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh Richardson is a good “problem” to have, so to speak. We keep him or trade him, I can see positives either way.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs made the playoffs, it's not hard to see how it could have been more beneficial than most lotto picks. There aren't a ton of examples of contending teams growing organically, but the ones that do exist often go through a phase where they scrape into the playoffs and put up a good fight while being swept or almost swept by the top seed. OKC had their time against LAL, and Memphis had their time versus the Jazz. If the Spurs earned their way up to the tenth seed and won two play-in games, it's because someone (or multiple someones) took a major leap to drag the Spurs to a strong finish. If that's Murray, it's him taking the step from tentative All-Star to legit All-NBA candidate. If it's Walker or Johnson, the Spurs might have a second All-Star threat next year. If it's Primo or Vassell? I think that's obvious.

The Spurs are a team flush with tradeable assets now. They are MUCH more likely to upgrade the talent on their roster through a trade than through the draft. If they were a playoff team and had those multiple players to build around, it makes acquiring talent that much easier. That could be from having a non-Murray centerpiece in a big deal, or having the talent to get a star acquisition to sign on. The Spurs have two cheap years of Murray left. They have to think long and hard before burning them trying to play the lottery. If it's in the team's power to get to the playoffs, even if it's a guaranteed sweep, I'd rather them do that and accept having three picks in the 15-20 range to use to acquire talent over getting a pick in the middle of the lottery after a demoralizing end to the year where nobody put anything of note together and the team has nothing but Murray and question marks to build upon.
    I would agree more if we were a year or two further along. Memphis last year in the playoffs is a great example of a team coming together and showing they can make the leap. I suppose we wouldn’t know until we try, but I see us needing another bonafide player who is already showing some of that potential. I don’t see us having that version of a player yet.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White trade was wise. Hes a really good player
    But let's not forget, he was inconsistent and injury prone as well. If the Spurs get a legitimate power forward 6-9 range that is can play D, help on the boards and is not a liability at 3 that is move the make. I would also look at trading Keldon asap. A 6-6 undersized PF , that is in my opinion to slow to play SF is not a good fit going forward. He plays with energy and his 3 is money. But I would look to sell high. A large part of the Spurs defensive issues are the frontcourt and defensive rebounding. Mcbuckets can't play D, and besides that's not what he is here for. But Keldon is questionable as far as staying in front of people , switching and struggling with bigger opposing players as concerns boards.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There should be a post count limit for making threads
    Just because you post a lot does not mean they are quality. Quan y does not equal quality.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of the people running the celtics front office will be there in 2028, so they don't care. If they turn out to be bad it will be someone else problem. It also speaks to the bidding war there was for Derrick. I pick like this is usually something a team has to add to get the player they want.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richardson wingspan/standing reach? Can legit play the 3?

Thread Information