Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richardson wingspan/standing reach? Can legit play the 3?
    6'10 reach and a willing defender

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this team is better with Richardson than it is with White. He's just a better fit next to DJ

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this team is better with Richardson than it is with White. He's just a better fit next to DJ
    The offense is better. The defense is worse, points, FG%, 3G%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White had a tendency to defer and pass, very unselfish and sometimes to a fault. White was a better all-around player than J-Rich. But in Pop’s system, sometimes knowing too much is a fault. I hate to call “system player,” but being able to do your position best is what Pop demands sometimes. And I think J-Rich fits that in the Spurs system better than White did. Not unless you’re a Manu Ginobili then you can contribute a little here and there, then take-over. But White was not, resulting to inconsistencies sometimes, imo.
    Last edited by John B; 03-12-2022 at 09:48 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was never a fan of the White/Murray starting combo, so it doesn't surprise me that the team works better with Richardson in there. I do think Murray, Richardson, Vassell and Poeltl can be a very good defensive quartet. Johnson might hold them back. If you could have his offense and bulk combined with KBD's defense and length, I think you'd really have something. But I can imagine that'll be a weakness for the team for the forseeable future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon is trying on defense and hopefully Pops willingness to apply pressure on him pays off.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon is trying on defense and hopefully Pops willingness to apply pressure on him pays off.
    Or he needs ADHD medication. Sort of joking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks to me like Richardson is the only Shooting guard we have with the shooter mentality coupled with some decent stats. Granted he hasn't set the league on fire for the last few years, is he worth elevating over Vassell for the rest of the season. Ho Hum probably not since we don't want to win a lot of games. With all the guards we have on the roster you'd think one might stand out.

Guess that's why I'm more than ready to start Primo at SG and let the chips fall where they may.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm ok with the trade because the possibility of a big return looms with the future pick, future pick swap, and available trade assets, but I don't think Richardson is a better fit next to Dejounte by any means... Derrick is the all around better player, with better raw, per minute, and advanced stats-- and obviously Brad Stevens thinks so too. I think the Spurs thought this move would eventually net them something to help at what seems to me to be their glaring weak spots at both forward positions.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 03-13-2022 at 09:40 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks to me like Richardson is the only Shooting guard we have with the shooter mentality coupled with some decent stats. Granted he hasn't set the league on fire for the last few years, is he worth elevating over Vassell for the rest of the season. Ho Hum probably not since we don't want to win a lot of games. With all the guards we have on the roster you'd think one might stand out.

Guess that's why I'm more than ready to start Primo at SG and let the chips fall where they may.

Yesterday you were ready to have JRich as the backup PG. JRich never set the league on fire and we could play him 35 mins a game and we still won't win more games.

He is a solid 2way guy… if you squint your eyes he is basically D White without the nagging injuries.
    Last edited by KingKev; 03-12-2022 at 04:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yesterday you were ready to have JRich as the backup PG. JRich never set the league on fire and we could play him 35 mins a game and we still won't win more games.

He is a solid 2way guy… if you squint your eyes he is basically D White without the nagging injuries.
    He’s a perfect player for a contender, a shooter/defender culture guy on a reasonable contract. That’s why I think he’ll be moved between the draft and next season’s trade deadline. He’s not going to elevate a play in or lottery team.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White trade was wise. Hes a really good player
    But let's not forget, he was inconsistent and injury prone as well. If the Spurs get a legitimate power forward 6-9 range that is can play D, help on the boards and is not a liability at 3 that is move the make. I would also look at trading Keldon asap. A 6-6 undersized PF , that is in my opinion to slow to play SF is not a good fit going forward. He plays with energy and his 3 is money. But I would look to sell high. A large part of the Spurs defensive issues are the frontcourt and defensive rebounding. Mcbuckets can't play D, and besides that's not what he is here for. But Keldon is questionable as far as staying in front of people , switching and struggling with bigger opposing players as concerns boards.
    Keldon doesn't seem to slow from what I have seen for small forward, That said I don't feel like he's a super fast guyI also think he has been working on bulking up a bit more than what he would be naturally carrying at his age to play inside. Will 30 year old Keldon have some speed issues at SF with some match-ups yeah. Does this version of him have the ability to play SF in almost any match-ups? Yeah. Do I think a calmer version of Keldon down the road playing as a bench tweener forward depending on match-ups leading a young bench seem like it will be an asset for a team either the Spurs or someone else? Yeap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D White 2-18 from the field and 0-9 from 3 his last two games.

This trade looks better every time he shoots a 3.
    Last edited by KingKev; 03-17-2022 at 05:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s a perfect player for a contender, a shooter/defender culture guy on a reasonable contract. That’s why I think he’ll be moved between the draft and next season’s trade deadline. He’s not going to elevate a play in or lottery team.
    D White 2-18 from the field and 0-9 from 3 his last two games.

This trade looks better every time he shoots a 3.
    A first round pick and a player who will be flipped for more assets and the opportunity to evaluate a former late lottery pick.
    All for a good but not great 28 year old. What's not to like?

Sure the Spurs may not end up with anything better than Derrick White- the draft is still a bit of a roll of the dice- but for a rebuilding team the more times you roll the dice the more times you have a chance to get a great player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A first round pick and a player who will be flipped for more assets and the opportunity to evaluate a former late lottery pick.
    All for a good but not great 28 year old. What's not to like?

Sure the Spurs may not end up with anything better than Derrick White- the draft is still a bit of a roll of the dice- but for a rebuilding team the more times you roll the dice the more times you have a chance to get a great player
    I was banging the table to move on from White all-season. I liked this trade then and I like it now.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I hope we do more trades like this. We have a roster full of average players who probably look better on the Spurs because of our system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good insight in this new article especially about Pop telling White about the trade…

https://www.si.com/.amp/nba/2022/03/...-missing-piece

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should have gotten Marcus Smart tbh

He is a true Spur, took our Steph Curry yesterday, and the irony of Steve Kerr ing about it.............

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good insight in this new article especially about Pop telling White about the trade…

https://www.si.com/.amp/nba/2022/03/...-missing-piece
    “It's kind of crazy,” White says, looking back. “Because you feel like you're not wanted in San Antonio, but then you see how much Boston gave up to pursue you and it's pretty exciting.”

Derrick is a good guy and I’m rooting for him to make a big difference at Celtics. He’s a cog who does a lot of little things, but sometimes you want him to do more of big things, be more selfish and call his own number. The Spurs mantra of “over oneself” and “it’s all about the team” seem to be the underlying character of ex-Spurs players, and now the other teams are just appreciating the character that Pop has instilled on their new found player.

But with all that, I think the Celtics paid too much for him, and Pop was giddy like a kid who was too happy to trade his old card for a new shiny toy and more. Time will tell how much more Spurs got from this trade.
    Last edited by John B; 03-17-2022 at 10:18 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trade looks better and better every day tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last three games for derrick-5,0,7 points. 4/26 fg
    Last edited by slick'81; 03-19-2022 at 01:24 AM.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick really does look like a mid-level role player these days. But he will still be good for Boston leading their second unit. Has high IQ, defense is still pretty good. But that jump shot is broken and he looks like 70% of the athlete he was back in 2019 pre injuries.

Great trade by the Spurs tbh. Don’t think Boston is regretting it, but it will depend how Derrick performs in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The pick swap is a big swing, and really has to be viewed as a great strategy regardless of the eventual outcome. It's like a possession where there's great ball movement that ends with the best three point shooter getting a wide open look... that's a smart basketball play, even if that particular shot doesn't go down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick really does look like a mid-level role player these days. But he will still be good for Boston leading their second unit. Has high IQ, defense is still pretty good. But that jump shot is broken and he looks like 70% of the athlete he was back in 2019 pre injuries.

Great trade by the Spurs tbh. Don’t think Boston is regretting it, but it will depend how Derrick performs in the playoffs.
    I think the fact that Derrick is still shooting badly in Boston isn't a great sign that he was somehow being held back by the Spurs system but also its early. We'll see how he does next year I guess. Spurs definitely look like they sold high on White though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if he's not shooting well, he's a good player for the Celtics. Their offense runs through two players, anyway (Brown, Tatum), and what they needed was a willing defender who can cycle the ball and see things others can't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hot take; Jonathan Simmons > Derrick White but White presents himself better so may have a few more years in the league. Quite the system we have tbh.

Thread Information