Post Count
    We still have a lot of cap space.

"No worries", right guys?
    cool as the other side of the pillow

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm... This suggests the Spurs are going to continue to play small. We're talking like Sochan-playing-more-minutes-at-center-than-PF small. It also implies Primo is very much a PG on the depth chart, even though he and Jones would both be in the rotation.

Murray, Jones
    Primo, Richardson, Branham, Wesley
    Vassell, McDermott, Langford
    Johnson, Sochan, KBD
    Poeltl, Collins, Landale,
    Sorry I like Primo but he is no where close to being a PG he is about at close to being a PG at to being a Center...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me too. I've been on the Sochan / Wesley bandwagon for like 3 months. Can't believe we got both, plus Branham who I never thought would make it to 20. FANTASTIC DRAFT.
    Not sure about Sochan at 9 but glad to finally get a starting PF - Have to say Wesley and Branham were a pleasant Surprise I was shocked Branham fell to 20 he was a real steal and we got another upside kid who can guard quick PG/SG in Wesley - This would have been a perfect draft for me if we could have snagged Procida ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry I like Primo but he is no where close to being a PG he is about at close to being a PG at to being a Center...
    Sure, but that doesn't mean he's not going to play PG.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp says spurs are gonna slot Primo at PG. Keldon has no business playing F. Branham (who I like) is 6'5" and is not a W. Likewise, Wesley is 6'4" and is strictly a G, and has no business playing W too. PATFO apparentlydoes not understand part of the reason we keep getting our pushed in defensively is in part due to playing undersized players, especiallyat the guard position.

Sigh.
    Like I said in a different post, this draft only makes sense if they’re planning to tank next year and trading away some major pieces.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley is still far from being a rotation guy. He is a swing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you think it "needs to be" what and it's likely to be are two different things. I hope Sochan blows them out of the water and starts right away too. But the last rookie to start from jump-street was literally decades ago. There's a ton of pressure to start another guard too, given the talent they have on their roster. Given Sochan's current skill-set he probably fits better with Coillins or replacing Collins anyway, even if fans don't want to hear it.
    All I’m sayin is that we really don’t have a choice. The old thinking isn’t working. These guys ain’t hungry anymore, they talk too much. All bark no bite. We need an iden y. Someone from the spurs brass needs to take charge and make an imprint.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, though I'm talking about going into the season, not as something set going forward. I don't think they drafted anyone they'd start immediately. I expect Sochan to be in the rotation immediately while Wesley and Branham would be in Austin. That's not shade on them. It's just how the Spurs do things.

If Sochan shows some improved performance and shows he's a better choice to start than Johnson, Vassell or Primo, I think he'll get the nod later on like Kawhi did. Or maybe Murray moves on through a trade, and the whole structure of the rotation changes. It's fluid, man. But I don't think Keldon or Vassell is slated to be benched any time soon, and if a rookie is NBA ready, I don't see why it has to be Sochan rather than Branham or Wesley, who also add needed attributes to the starting unit.

Also, as I said, Sochan might play way more center than you probably want him to, especially early on.
    I expect Collins to be the backup 5. If Sochan is going to play at the 5 then why is collins even on this team? Sochan shouldn't see any minutes at the 5 unless the other team goes super small and we know Collins and Poeltl just can't keep up.

Not starting Sochan at the 4 day 1 is a mistake, since there is virtually no compe ion their. Keldon can play the 3 just fine and McDermott needs to come off the bench so he can shoot at will anyway. Sochan at the 4 day one is a no brainer, though I do agree that somehow Pop will it up and wait until we start the season 5 - 15 to start Sochan, the act surprised when we go 11 - 4 over our next 15

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect Collins to be the backup 5. If Sochan is going to play at the 5 then why is collins even on this team? Sochan shouldn't see any minutes at the 5 unless the other team goes super small and we know Collins and Poeltl just can't keep up.

Not starting Sochan at the 4 day 1 is a mistake, since there is virtually no compe ion their. Keldon can play the 3 just fine and McDermott needs to come off the bench so he can shoot at will anyway. Sochan at the 4 day one is a no brainer, though I do agree that somehow Pop will it up and wait until we start the season 5 - 15 to start Sochan, the act smugly condescending when we go 11 - 4 over our next 15
    fify

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are going to be at least seven players on the roster who don't play in the everyday rotation. Collins might be one of them. He's way more vulnerable to losing his spot for a lot of reasons. Sochan might play the five because it's a position he can play in the NBA, especially off the bench for stretches. 6-8/6-9 guys play there all the time, way more than seven-footers play PF. That's not my opinion about what should happens. It's just what happens.

Not starting Sochan at the 4 day 1 is a mistake, since there is virtually no compe ion their. Keldon can play the 3 just fine and McDermott needs to come off the bench so he can shoot at will anyway. Sochan at the 4 day one is a no brainer, though I do agree that somehow Pop will it up and wait until we start the season 5 - 15 to start Sochan, the act surprised when we go 11 - 4 over our next 15
    Maybe. I do think Sochan will have the compe ion I mentioned. It's not just about him at PF. The Spurs will start five players. Murray, Vassell, Johnson and Poeltl are locked in. The question will be: Who complements them best? I know you think that'll be Sochan because you think he'll just come in and fix the defense and not hurt the offense. And he might. But reasonable minds might think starting one of the other young guards instead makes sense. The unit can use shooting, spend and guard defense. At best, Sochan projects to provide the latter thing, and I don't know that he's going to be considered the answer to their woes. I would put Primo as the favorite to start, especially if he does have the improvement I expect him to show. After that, Sochan and McDermott are pretty close, and the two drafted guards aren't too far behind. I don't do odds, but I wouldn't put money on Sochan starting opening day at this point in the off-season.

As far as how they'll start record-wise, we'll see. They had a better record than 5-11 last year despite always starting Johnson and some other small-forward. They likely won't lose as much as you're fearing/hoping just by virtue of the guys they do have improving.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Wesley as a 2/1 combo guard (primary position at the 2 and secondary position at the 1) where as I see Branham as a 2/3 so he'll spend his time playing and defending the 2/3 positions.

Murray/Primo/Jones
    Vassell/Wesley
    Johnson/Branham
    Sochan/McDermott/KBD
    Poeltl/Collins/Landale

I see it shaking out like this.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John hollinger had Wesley going 10 to Washington

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on his highlights, his layup package reminds me of Tony Parker's. Wouldn't mind seeing him run some point, or maybe a combo guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John hollinger had Wesley going 10 to Washington
    Do you mind sharing his mock? Im assuming its behind a pay wall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think fans are sleeping on this pick a bit. He has some ivey in his game -- a big burst and good athleticism. He was required to do way too much for Notre Dame. I would have been happy with Sochan and Wesley just by themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When it’s all said and done, Wesley may be the guy for Spurs from this draft. An absolutely outstanding haul tonight. Couldn’t be happier.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Hollinger

11. Blake Wesley | 6-5 freshman | SG | Notre Dame

This is purely an upside play — there’s a chance Wesley ends up being terrible if his shooting and finishing don’t progress. It’s still worth taking Wesley here because his first-step quickness and lateral mobility provide a framework for some elite two-way outcomes … if he can just figure out how to shoot and make a layup. In this draft class, only Ivey can surpass Wesley’s explosiveness getting downhill to the rim, something that should be a much greater weapon at the NBA level.

Wesley’s offensive stats from his one season are a tad underwhelming. While he scored in volume (29.8 points per 100 possessions), he shot 47.1 percent from the arc, 30.3 percent on 3s and 65.7 percent from the line and barely had more assists than turnovers. Yikes. He’ll benefit from the more open space of the NBA floor, but there’s a lot to clean up here.

Where I feel better about Wesley is on the defensive end. He can move his feet laterally, contest shots and had an impressive steal rate (2.8 thefts per 100 possessions). You’d like to see him get into the ball a little bit more on the perimeter and concede fewer pull-ups, but he’s long and bouncy enough to bother players when they rise up. Bizarrely, he only blocked two shots all season — another sign he may be leaving some money on the table at that end.

As a result, I see two outs for success here: first as a downhill shot creator and second as a wing defensive stopper. Hit on both, and you’ve really got something. I initially had Wesley ranked lower but comparing his best-case scenarios with the less intriguing upside scenarios that follow, I had to move him up the list even if there’s a decent chance he bombs because of his offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Hollinger

11. Blake Wesley | 6-5 freshman | SG | Notre Dame

This is purely an upside play — there’s a chance Wesley ends up being terrible if his shooting and finishing don’t progress. It’s still worth taking Wesley here because his first-step quickness and lateral mobility provide a framework for some elite two-way outcomes … if he can just figure out how to shoot and make a layup. In this draft class, only Ivey can surpass Wesley’s explosiveness getting downhill to the rim, something that should be a much greater weapon at the NBA level.

Wesley’s offensive stats from his one season are a tad underwhelming. While he scored in volume (29.8 points per 100 possessions), he shot 47.1 percent from the arc, 30.3 percent on 3s and 65.7 percent from the line and barely had more assists than turnovers. Yikes. He’ll benefit from the more open space of the NBA floor, but there’s a lot to clean up here.

Where I feel better about Wesley is on the defensive end. He can move his feet laterally, contest shots and had an impressive steal rate (2.8 thefts per 100 possessions). You’d like to see him get into the ball a little bit more on the perimeter and concede fewer pull-ups, but he’s long and bouncy enough to bother players when they rise up. Bizarrely, he only blocked two shots all season — another sign he may be leaving some money on the table at that end.

As a result, I see two outs for success here: first as a downhill shot creator and second as a wing defensive stopper. Hit on both, and you’ve really got something. I initially had Wesley ranked lower but comparing his best-case scenarios with the less intriguing upside scenarios that follow, I had to move him up the list even if there’s a decent chance he bombs because of his offense.
    Thanks! What about the rest of the 1st round haha.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think fans are sleeping on this pick a bit. He has some ivey in his game -- a big burst and good athleticism. He was required to do way too much for Notre Dame. I would have been happy with Sochan and Wesley just by themselves.
    I do find myself sleeping on him, even in the context of Barlow. It feels like an "extra" selection, when in reality, he and Branham fill different needs. Obviously there are "too many" guards right now, but that doesn't mean only one of these guys is going to get the short end of the stick. They could both be part of the team for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do find myself sleeping on him, even in the context of Barlow. It feels like an "extra" selection, when in reality, he and Branham fill different needs. Obviously there are "too many" guards right now, but that doesn't mean only one of these guys is going to get the short end of the stick. They could both be part of the team for a while.
    I'm also really curious. I don't know much about Wesley's personality, but Branham appears to be a fantastic teammate. This matters because they'll inevitably be compared to each other although, as you say, they are fairly different players. One thing I like about all three rookies is that they don't seem to back down. They're not wilting daisies. I want game players who aren't getting the yips. Just play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great swing at 25. Could be a monster after a year in the G-league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm also really curious. I don't know much about Wesley's personality, but Branham appears to be a fantastic teammate. This matters because they'll inevitably be compared to each other although, as you say, they are fairly different players. One thing I like about all three rookies is that they don't seem to back down. They're not wilting daisies. I want game players who aren't getting the yips. Just play.
    Wesley is also regarded as having good character and is willing to learn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley is still far from being a rotation guy. He is a swing.
    He’s a much better swing than Lonnie though imo because he actually plays defense. He’s got long arms and really gets up into the ball handlers and makes them uncomfortable. Lonnie could never. Oh, and he’s still really ing athletic. Maybe not quite the high-flyer Lonnie is, but he’s got plenty of bounce.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are quite a bit of similarities between Ivey and Wesley, he's sort of a less polished, younger Ivey if you will. But they both are about the same size (I believe Wesley is actually larger), both athletically gifted (though not quite at Ivey's level), both can really drive and score, Ivey is a better shooter at this point and more efficient, and Wesley is a better defender. And both need to gain court awareness and improve on their playmaking abilities. There's a real chance they end up much closer as players than their draft order would have you believe. I'm not saying he's a guaranteed hit (Ivey isn't 100% either), but he's definitely an excelent gamble considering where we got him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Seems like a humble, level headed kid.

Thread Information