Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Media "Those 2 points is the equivalent of a regular player getting 20 points. Draymond's impact can't easily be measured."
    By far the most overrated player in NBA history, it's just unbelievable how lucky he was, all the stars alligned for him.
    Always brought up as some 1 through 5 defender, when in reality he never did a good job on any all-star level bigs. Or any stars in general, he's jut a great help defender and defensive coordinator.
    AD and LMA were the only good bigs he had to face in the playoffs and he always got torched. Way worse players like Kanter would've destroyed him, but they couldn't stay on the floor against the Warriors' offense.
    Warriors' ability to run slow bigs off the floor enabled their small lineups, not Draymond's defense.

Anyhow, the things are heating up and there are a lot of teams who are on the brink of making some desperate moves.
    Warriors, Lakers, Timberwolves, Mavericks, Bulls, Raptors, Hawks, Heat all must do something. And obviously everyone else is also looking to improve. Not all of them are potential trade partners for the Spurs, but when the dominos start falling Brian Wright better be ready to swing a couple of good deals.

Either extend Jakob or trade him, no point in waiting for him to hit FA.
    JRich and McDermott also need to go asap.
    Not just because they're on expiring deals, but because Rockets, Pistons and Hornets are absolute dumpster fires and it's going to be next to impossible to get top3 odds. We have to finish 4th, worst case scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By far the most overrated player in NBA history, it's just unbelievable how lucky he was, all the stars alligned for him.
    Always brought up as some 1 through 5 defender, when in reality he never did a good job on any all-star level bigs. Or any stars in general, he's jut a great help defender and defensive coordinator.
    AD and LMA were the only good bigs he had to face in the playoffs and he always got torched. Way worse players like Kanter would've destroyed him, but they couldn't stay on the floor against the Warriors' offense.
    Warriors' ability to run slow bigs off the floor enabled their small lineups, not Draymond's defense.

Anyhow, the things are heating up and there are a lot of teams who are on the brink of making some desperate moves.
    Warriors, Lakers, Timberwolves, Mavericks, Bulls, Raptors, Hawks, Heat all must do something. And obviously everyone else is also looking to improve. Not all of them are potential trade partners for the Spurs, but when the dominos start falling Brian Wright better be ready to swing a couple of good deals.

Not just because they're on expiring deals, but because Rockets, Pistons and Hornets are absolute dumpster fires and it's going to be next to impossible to get top3 odds. We have to finish 4th, worst case scenario.
    Like DJ, his extension was such a great deal for the Spurs that he doesn’t want to sign another one. An extension is about the only outcome I absolutely can’t see happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like we consistently overrate the odds for the top three lottery teams. Each of those teams only has a 52% chance of even being in the Top 4. People really need to familiarize themselves with what the lottery actually looks like.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like we consistently overrate the odds for the top three lottery teams. Each of those teams only has a 52% chance of even being in the Top 4. People really need to familiarize themselves with what the lottery actually looks like.

Yeah, it's "only" 52% for top3 worst records.
    But it's not about hitting the jackpot, it's about minimizing your odds of dropping multiple spots. Anything outside top5 picks would be a disaster for this roster.
    And if we drop to 6th best odds, it would be only 37.2% for top5 pick. With 4th best odds, it's 55.2%.
    Someone with low odds always gets lucky and then that 18% difference becomes even more important in order not to get dropped to like 7th pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But it's not about hitting the jackpot, it's about minimizing your odds of dropping multiple spots. Anything outside top5 picks would be a disaster for this roster.
    And if we drop to 6th best odds, it would be only 37.2% for top5 pick. With 4th best odds, it's 55.2%.
    Someone with low odds always gets lucky and then that 18% difference becomes even more important in order not to get dropped to like 7th pick.
    Yes, but the point is clear. Too many people assume getting a top 3 worst percentage means much of anything. And it seems like carefully moving the goalposts to claim it's about not moving down too many slots. The chances of landing a 1, 2, or 3 pick for any individual team is still abyssmal at 14% per slot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a Poeltl to Raptors trade to happen, my sense is they have to lessen the protection on their pick and find a third team interested in Trent Jr. to give the Spurs close to the draft capital they're seeking. For this, they'd probably throw in Richardson.

I don't think there's any way the Pelicans would include Dyson Daniels in a trade, especially not for Poeltl. Daniels was drafted as a 6'8" PG who could defend and pass, but whose shooting was a question... so far this season, he's shooting 42% from three and 55% from two, while playing even better-than-advertised D and posting a very good assist-to-turnover ratio. The guy is still only 19 and looks like a future star.
    Yeah, not a chance.

Despite their league worst rim protection (74% within' 3 feet of the rim), I doubt the Pelicans pursue Poeltl who'd further mess up their spacing, but in the unlikely event they do, Daniels and the most valuable picks will be off limits and they'd offer some combination of lesser ones, Hayes and Lewis, while attempting to shoehorn Graham in.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but the point is clear. Too many people assume getting a top 3 worst percentage means much of anything. And it seems like carefully moving the goalposts to claim it's about not moving down too many slots. The chances of landing a 1, 2, or 3 pick for any individual team is still abyssmal at 14% per slot.
    I've said it a few times, we're not getting the #1 pick, so I definitely didn't move the goalposts, idk maybe some other posters did.
    Since there's no chance of getting to the playoffs or even play-in, might aswell maximize your odds of getting the best pick possible.
    And having 4th best odds is noticably better than 6th best odds.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed and at best and I'm being generous Draymond was an elite role player, but he was never an all-star. I never had much respect for the media but after they anointed him as a star, they lost any remaining credibility they had in my eyes. The media's logic was dumb which was "Well they are winning a lot of games with him on the floor, so he has to be a star." Spurs won a ton of games with Bruce Bowen, Horry but that didn't make them all-stars. It was stupid as how the media was complicit in making Draymond into a star when he wasn't. The coaches were even dumber for voting him in as an all-star when he clearly wasn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For conspiracy theorists, the Spurs hitting that 2.2% change of picking 8th fits squarely within the narrative that the NBA doesn't want a team in San Antonio anymore. I'm probably one of the more pessimistic of posters here on this topic, but I don't believe the Spurs survive in San Antonio without becoming a contender again within the next 5 years. Getting stuck in the mid-lottery is the surest fire way that doesn't happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small trades I want to see invoking teams over the luxury tax:

PHI: dumps Mattise to get under tax
    SAS: get CHA’s 23 SRP they own

PHX: dumps Saric/Shatmat money
    SAS: Suns 2023 FRP; send out Romeo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Phoenix won’t want any money back. They also may not be salary dumping with Sarver gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Mr glass again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see where the Pacers and Turner have started talks on an extension. If that is consummated Poeltl’s value goes up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pels look like they'll be a juggernaut or at least a perennial contender for some time. but a good chunk of that will come down to Ingram and Zion staying healthy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Mr glass again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangentially related to the Spurs:

Hornets and Miles Bridges are engaged in contract talks. Having him back would be helpful for that FRP conveying in future years (surely this year is a lost cause).

Also though... crazy this guy is going to still get a bag after beating his GF (and pled no contest to felony assault). Suspension coming as soon as he signs a deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I like the philly deal, but who do the spurs dump to bring Thybulle in ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking PHI would dump him to get under the tax. They didn’t extend him and until recently he hadn’t been playing. I also couldn’t care less about him as an asset, so if they prefer to dump other players instead so be it. The “prize” is the CHA SRP pick coming back to us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    collins
    ayton
    wiseman

but i think bass is good enough, dont need to trade for a new centre or overpay for one when the league has moved away from big man players....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    collins
    ayton
    wiseman

but i think bass is good enough, dont need to trade for a new centre or overpay for one when the league has moved away from big man players....
    Are you just repeating players people were obsessed with over the last three years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking PHI would dump him to get under the tax. They didn’t extend him and until recently he hadn’t been playing. I also couldn’t care less about him as an asset, so if they prefer to dump other players instead so be it. The “prize” is the CHA SRP pick coming back to us.
    Well, he is a 2X All Defense team selection. He’s also never had a negative OWS or DWS Season. He’s not a great asset, but he’s a better one than Lonnie Walker was.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangentially related to the Spurs:

Hornets and Miles Bridges are engaged in contract talks. Having him back would be helpful for that FRP conveying in future years (surely this year is a lost cause).

Also though... crazy this guy is going to still get a bag after beating his GF (and pled no contest to felony assault). Suspension coming as soon as he signs a deal.
    still has a suspension to serve from the nba for pleading guilty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would waive either Romeo or Stanley Johnson to make a spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would waive either Romeo or Stanley Johnson to make a spot.
    Romeo and Stanley both average about 6 points per game and about the same in rebounds, the only difference being that Romeo plays more minutes. However Romeo is very very inconsistent. Even though Stanley is the 15th guy I'd keep him and try to trade Romeo if possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Romeo and Stanley both average about 6 points per game and about the same in rebounds, the only difference being that Romeo plays more minutes. However Romeo is very very inconsistent. Even though Stanley is the 15th guy I'd keep him and try to trade Romeo if possible.
    Stanley hasn’t been here long enough to show his inconsistency. There’s a reason he was in the gleague. Every borderline roster player has bursts of productivity. Romeo did. Stanley has had a nice 3 games. I’m guessing he’ll revert to the mean give enough time. They’re both completely cuttable. It’s just a coin flip.

Thread Information