Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I didn't...... My ing god. Literally quote me saying "they're functionally the same". I'm absolutely certain I've never strung those words together in this thread. What a stupid ass, you can't even quote me right. s sake. I gotta argue not only against your points, but the fake points you make up for me? that.

I'll get you clarity: it makes literally no sense to say whether you'd have player A at his salary, or player B at player A's salary. Reality doesn't work like that. Would you rather have LeBron at Poeltl's salary, or....? That's how dumb you sound. Here's the fact: Drummond will NEVER be paid Poeltl salary, because he's an inflated stats player, and like such, he'll demand a paygrade above his production level. Yes, in a vacuum, I'd like to have Drummond on bench big money (and bench big role, tbh, behind a shooting 5), but what the is the point of that discussion if it literally doesn't have a chance to materialize? To be more pragmatic, and say it again: I would rather have Jakob at Jakob's salary, than Drummond at Drummond's salary. Because I can find better uses to that difference in pay, than the on-court impact that both players have (which IS NOT THE SAME!!!! as saying they're "functionally the same", you numbnut).

Can I be any more clear on this? Jakob heard you talking , btw...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can feel free to bump whatever you want. you were the one who kept waffling about your position. every time i said you think Poeltl is a better player than Drummond, you denied it

my position is and was clear. i thought that, in a vacuum (ie not considering salary), that Drummond is a better player than Poeltl. i also never said that i would want Drummond here if he was going to be a high volume offense guy.

ive said plenty of good things about poeltl since he stepped his game up after is lousy start to the season, so im not cheering against him just for more retroactive online Ws
    You really should go and re-read the convo, my guy, because your goalpost moving is getting out of hand.

Anyways, you're right about one thing - I really failed to acknowledge that the gap between AD and JP's defensive abilities, does make Jakob the better player. I scoffed at you when you first made the moniker, but it's really true, Poeltl is the flat out better player. It's funny because it's a concession of mine, that makes your original point be even worse (how could anyone think Drummond to be better, even despite salary, given his actual games? Seriously, you still haven't told me whether you'd watched him before that discussion, and it's still unclear to me... ).

Again, Drummond will never not be high volume offensively, that's exactly what makes him such a player. I'm glad you've finally seen the light of Blockob Purtle tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'm waiting just a tad bit more (sadly it'll be a longer wait, now with our next games postponed) before I start to actually, truly necro-bump this thread by quoting all the ridiculous naysayers, and posters who were literally complaining about a $9M signing that locked up one of the best defensive centers in the NBA.

But muh shooting bigs!! Poeltl hasn't improved at all!!
    Oh just wait for Drummond to be bought out and sign with the Nets, then put up some numbers because no one will bother to guard him on a loaded team and there値l be people all over the topic again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did we make the right move in getting Poeltl instead of Anunoby?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think any reports at the time indicated OG to be available, and considering the low, low position the Spurs were dealing from, it wouldn't surprise me to know the Raptors made him an untouchable in the trade.

Whether the Spurs should've hung up the phone after hearing that has been a topic for much debate in this forum ever since

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Followed with "what the is the point of that discussion, though", meaning, totally irrelevant.... But hey, gotta grab your W's where you can I guess

E: and to be extremely clear (since you'll just move the goalpost further), I still agree with it - Drummond isn't so lacking in value as to be literally unplayable. He could be a good piece in a bench role, bench pay, bench minutes situation. The point I make (and actually also make immediately after in that quote, not like you bothered to read it ) is that there is literally no chance of that situation ever happening, because Drummond is such a headcase, me-first, stupid ass player. It took Melo being literally out of the league for a year or two due to this exact behavior for him to get humbled and get back on the NBA, and I have quite a su ion that Drummond will soon be on that same path.

So no, I wouldn't want him on the Spurs, like I've been saying all ing along
    Last edited by Sugus; 02-17-2021 at 04:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, OG is still better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really should go and re-read the convo, my guy, because your goalpost moving is getting out of hand.

Anyways, you're right about one thing - I really failed to acknowledge that the gap between AD and JP's defensive abilities, does make Jakob the better player. I scoffed at you when you first made the moniker, but it's really true, Poeltl is the flat out better player. It's funny because it's a concession of mine, that makes your original point be even worse (how could anyone think Drummond to be better, even despite salary, given his actual games? Seriously, you still haven't told me whether you'd watched him before that discussion, and it's still unclear to me... ).

Again, Drummond will never not be high volume offensively, that's exactly what makes him such a player. I'm glad you've finally seen the light of Blockob Purtle tho
    yes, you waited till poeltl's best stretch of his career to conveniently remember that you meant that all along
    Last edited by spurraider21; 02-17-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the makeup of the rest of the roster, it's looking likely. Who would the Spurs be trotting out at the 5 right now if they had OG instead of Poeltl? Eubanks? Gay? A re-signed Zeller? Yuck.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We" didn't have a choice, but Anunoby is more valuable because he's the most desired/scarce archetype in the modern game and the exact one this team has been missing since S bag quit, which is 3 and D combo forward.

As underrated as Poeltl is, as a role playing center, it's much easier to find an approximation of him.

Given the makeup of the rest of the roster, it's looking likely. Who would the Spurs be trotting out at the 5 right now if they had OG instead of Poeltl? Eubanks? Gay? A re-signed Zeller? Yuck.
    The roster obviously wouldn't look exactly the same had they been able to pry Anunoby instead of Poeltl. It might have altered one of the recent picks, but the most likely outcome is they'd have a placeholder type (think a center version of Lyles) in his stead and utilize more of Gay/Aunoby playing the small ball five.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, you waited till poeltl's best stretch of his career to conveniently remember that you meant that all along
    Lol, are you going to move the goalpost every time this thread is bumped? You can check the date of my original comments, Jakob hadn't been playing well at all (matter-of-factly, my original comment was "Jakob could score 0 points the entire season..." because he was just coming off a 0pt game, which he was getting shat over by ST at large, you included ). Even then, I still wanted no part of Drummond, a point which you ridiculed, as if Drummond's empty calories rebounds were somehow the missing piece for the struggling Spurs team.

I guess you're conflating things - I did bump this thread the first time after Jakob's good stretch. But all the original comments (now being proven right, but not made with hindsight) were there before that good play. Good try, though....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m still worried about his offensive output. He is too inconsistent in this area. He scores 6 points against Memphis then 19 against Minny. Then immediately follows it up with a 2 point game. Then he goes off for 14 against GS and then 4 the next game. His defense has been amazing and well worth the contract in that end. But I’m still iffy on him as a starter going forward if he is going to be chicken one day on offense and feathers the next.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I知 still worried about his offensive output. He is too inconsistent in this area. He scores 6 points against Memphis then 19 against Minny. Then immediately follows it up with a 2 point game. Then he goes off for 14 against GS and then 4 the next game. His defense has been amazing and well worth the contract in that end. But I知 still iffy on him as a starter going forward if he is going to be chicken one day on offense and feathers the next.
    He's a rim running center, averaging 22.2 mpg, with a 12.8% usage rate.

I'll never understand how one could be a fan of this franchise in particular and still think counting stats (without context) determines value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, are you going to move the goalpost every time this thread is bumped? You can check the date of my original comments, Jakob hadn't been playing well at all (matter-of-factly, my original comment was "Jakob could score 0 points the entire season..." because he was just coming off a 0pt game, which he was getting shat over by ST at large, you included ). Even then, I still wanted no part of Drummond, a point which you ridiculed, as if Drummond's empty calories rebounds were somehow the missing piece for the struggling Spurs team.

I guess you're conflating things - I did bump this thread the first time after Jakob's good stretch. But all the original comments (now being proven right, but not made with hindsight) were there before that good play. Good try, though....
    back then you said you'd rather have drummond at the same pay

suddenly now you realize that all along you meant you'd rather have poeltl at the same pay

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I知 still worried about his offensive output. He is too inconsistent in this area. He scores 6 points against Memphis then 19 against Minny. Then immediately follows it up with a 2 point game. Then he goes off for 14 against GS and then 4 the next game. His defense has been amazing and well worth the contract in that end. But I知 still iffy on him as a starter going forward if he is going to be chicken one day on offense and feathers the next.
    We don稚 need scoring from Jakob.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    back then you said you'd rather have drummond at the same pay

suddenly now you realize that all along you meant you'd rather have poeltl at the same pay
    Sigh, it's literally impossible to discuss with you when you fail to address anything I've written, whilst simultaneously moving the goalpost on every single point.

I'll still bump this thread though, just to clown you a bit, but I don't think you're capable of much more interesting discussion than this...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to quantify it this way if we got Anunoby who knows how the Spurs will draft these last 2 years and who we will sign for the backup centre. As of now I think we have a good squad which could be improved tremendously with just one or two players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sigh, it's literally impossible to discuss with you when you fail to address anything I've written, whilst simultaneously moving the goalpost on every single point.

I'll still bump this thread though, just to clown you a bit, but I don't think you're capable of much more interesting discussion than this...
    you keep saying this but you seem to change your opinion every post, so its pretty difficult to nail anything down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don’t need scoring from Jakob.
    yep. do people not remember what Tiago's production looked like?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a rim running center, averaging 22.2 mpg, with a 12.8% usage rate.

I'll never understand how one could be a fan of this franchise in particular and still think counting stats (without context) determines value.
    Well context is important buddy. This is in regards to him being our starter for the future. And he would be getting more than 22 minutes a game. This is also when we lose Rudy Gay, LMA, Patty Mills, and potentially DDR. That痴 a lot of scoring to lose at once and Jakob is going to have to score more in order to fit going forward. In a perfect world, Lonnie, Derrick, DJ, and KJ will all give us 15-20 a night. But what about the rest of the scoring? Jakob has to pick up some slack on that end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep. do people not remember what Tiago's production looked like?
    Yeah but we had Tim, Tony, and Manu to pick up the slack along with Kawhi. I’m talking more for next year when we potentially lose 60 points a game from all our vets. I think Jakob will have to score in order for us to compete going forward. You can think differently, but we need more than just the 4 youngsters. Maybe we settle that with signing Collins or someone else. Idk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well context is important buddy. This is in regards to him being our starter for the future. And he would be getting more than 22 minutes a game. This is also when we lose Rudy Gay, LMA, Patty Mills, and potentially DDR. That’s a lot of scoring to lose at once and Jakob is going to have to score more in order to fit going forward. In a perfect world, Lonnie, Derrick, DJ, and KJ will all give us 15-20 a night. But what about the rest of the scoring? Jakob has to pick up some slack on that end.
    When we lose all those guys, the idea is to replace them with guys that can provide similar or even better production. Poeltl is what he is. If PATFO build this team right, Poeltl won't need to suddenly become a 15 ppg player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When we lose all those guys, the idea is to replace them with guys that can provide similar or even better production. Poeltl is what he is. If PATFO build this team right, Poeltl won't need to suddenly become a 15 ppg player.
    I would settle for 8-10 tbh. 15 seems like a stretch. I’m not sure is I trust PATFO anymore. Especially since I have to depend on GM Wrong to get us back on the right track going forward

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would settle for 8-10 tbh. 15 seems like a stretch. I知 not sure is I trust PATFO anymore. Especially since I have to depend on GM Wrong to get us back on the right track going forward
    Well, that's pretty much what he averages when he gets starter's minutes so he wouldn't be needing to improve anything, just get the minutes.

Thread Information