Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lefty debunking the accusation he has a hate boner for MJ pretty poorly here
    I’m an objective hater tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m an objective hater tbh
    With a gigantic hate boner

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With a gigantic hate boner
    dont blame me if you have a tiny boner tbh

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol thr Magic had 9 players suspended and that re Hayes only got 3 games.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    lol thr Magic had 9 players suspended and that re Hayes only got 3 games.
    I believe 8 of those Magic players got suspended for leaving their bench during an altercation, an automatic suspension they put in the NBA rulebook years ago. I’m sure most of them would not have been suspended otherwise.

3 games sounds about right for Hayes. Anything between 2-5 games, I would have had no issue with.

This is not a defense of Hayes, because it was coward bull for him to attack Wagner from behind. But this goes to the hypocrisy we have as fans. A lot of NBA fans complain about the pussification of the league since the 80s and 90s. If what Hayes did happened in the 80s or 90s, few fans would make much of a big deal about it. We reminisce and even glorify the Rambis clothesline or a Robert Parrish flagrant, two hand takedown in the lane, every hard foul resulting in guys squaring up to fight but no game ejections. Hayes forearm to the back of the head still might be viewed as a cheap shot, but one that wasn’t so uncommon or surprising or so taboo. But it happens now, and some NBA fans are up in arms over it. We complain about the pussification of the league, but then has that in turn resulted in the pussification of the NBA fans? Just food for thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe 8 of those Magic players got suspended for leaving their bench during an altercation, an automatic suspension they put in the NBA rulebook years ago. I’m sure most of them would not have been suspended otherwise.

3 games sounds about right for Hayes. Anything between 2-5 games, I would have had no issue with.

This is not a defense of Hayes, because it was coward bull for him to attack Wagner from behind. But this goes to the hypocrisy we have as fans. A lot of NBA fans complain about the pussification of the league since the 80s and 90s. If what Hayes did happened in the 80s or 90s, few fans would make much of a big deal about it. We reminisce and even glorify the Rambis clothesline or a Robert Parrish flagrant, two hand takedown in the lane, every hard foul resulting in guys squaring up to fight but no game ejections. Hayes forearm to the back of the head still might be viewed as a cheap shot, but one that wasn’t so uncommon or surprising or so taboo. But it happens now, and some NBA fans are up in arms over it. We complain about the pussification of the league, but then has that in turn resulted in the pussification of the NBA fans? Just food for thought.
    Wagner with his hip check was being a too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mitc with 71. Nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Booker and Mitc now getting 70 points. Since wilt had his last 70 point game in 1963, We have three 70 point games in 54 years with them being at least 12 years apart from each other, then we have two in 5 years.

We had one season with a triple double average, then didn’t see one in like 60 years until we had westbrook doing it four times, with harden, jokic and doncic all coming very close to doing it in the last few seasons.

But the narrative is that todays nba players are so much more skilled instead of stats being ridiculously inflated due to rule changes and increased pace.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That may be, but give Donovan some props as I feel this was a very legit 71pts that he got within the flow of a compe ive game (unlike Booker and D-Rob's). I don't remember any of the other 70+ pt games I've seen that weren't stat padding. I won't include Kobe's 81, as he was just dominating the game. Not his fault the other team couldn't stop him. David's, I didn't get to watch as I didn't have access back then and from what I remember, it wasn't televised. Having said that, D-Rob was going for the scoring le, so I can understand him going for it, but it was still stat padding. Donovan really had a great game tonight and it was needed for his team to win. Great performance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    70s ans 80s had coke addicts
    90s had a bunch of unskilled guards that played in the NBA thanks to the expansion era

so yes, we have more incredible stats today because the league is more skilled than ever, just accept it

Amb probably thinks his TV from the 60s is better than modern TVs

Do you force your grandkids to play on your dusty Odyssey?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sudden explosion in only offensive skills but mysteriously defence stays stagnant.
    players like Mitc , Booker, Westbrook and Harden are the definition of skilfulness when I’m reality they are the definition of empty calories guys.
    00s and large parts of 10s didn’t exist
    comparing electronics, which has been around for a few decades, to humans, which had been around for at least 300k years.

Caveat, not knocking Mitc , or even booker, for these particular games, just like I respect Cheryl miller scoring 105 points back then, but it’s more a product of the opposition than anything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how the do the refs miss a clear as day lane violation on the Mitc 's free throw?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sudden explosion in only offensive skills but mysteriously defence stays stagnant.
    players like Mitc , Booker, Westbrook and Harden are the definition of skilfulness when I’m reality they are the definition of empty calories guys.
    00s and large parts of 10s didn’t exist
    comparing electronics, which has been around for a few decades, to humans, which had been around for at least 300k years.

Caveat, not knocking Mitc , or even booker, for these particular games, just like I respect Cheryl miller scoring 105 points back then, but it’s more a product of the opposition than anything else.
    defenses are actually better today
    Today’s best scorers would have feasted on 90s “defenses” , illegal defense rule, no zone era that favors offensive threats and iso ball

haters should actually watch the games instead just looking at box scores and clinging to narratives

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    defenses are actually better today
    Today’s best scorers would have feasted on 90s “defenses” , illegal defense rule, no zone era that favors offensive threats and iso ball

haters should actually watch the games instead just looking at box scores and clinging to narratives
    Defences are better today how? By giving up 113.7ppg? That's a full 3.1 ppg from just last year. What is causing this sudden surge in scoring? That is only a few years after 2018-19, when the scoring suddenly went from 106.3ppg to 111.2ppg, and two years earlier, scoring went from 102.7 ppg to 105.6 ppg, which was only 100ppg the year prior. 5.6ppg jump in scoring per game, league-wide, in two seasons. These sudden jumps in scoring has nothing to do with an overnight, across the board increase in skills in nba players, it has everything to do with changes in rules and interpretations of it.

The last time the league did NOT have an increase in scoring was 2013-14 to 2014-2015, when scoring dropped from 101ppg to 100ppg. The huge inflation in scoring basically steadily took place since then, going up a whopping 13.7ppg in a mere 8 years. To put that in perspective, from 2000-01 to 2010-11, scoring went from 94.8ppg to 99.6ppg, and 1991 was at 106.3ppg. The last time the league was scoring at this pace was in the mid 80s (granted much smaller use of 3 pointers).

Speaking of 3pters, the increase in scoring isn't solely driven by 3 pointers, the 2 pg shooting of teams are at a ridiculous 54.4%, despite 3's staying at around 35% since forever. It is essentially a layup line to the basket due to:
    1) the volume and frequency of 3s
    2) change in defensive rules to open up the lanes for drives
    3) lack of rim protecting bigs as they are being pulled out to the perimeter.

Interesting tidbit, there were 11 players in the history of the NBA who had 10 or more 50+ point games, 4 are active, with Durant sitting at 9 (I am surprised, I thought he'd be there for sure). This reeks of disparity of skills rather than this magical increase in ability.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Booker and Mitc now getting 70 points. Since wilt had his last 70 point game in 1963, We have three 70 point games in 54 years with them being at least 12 years apart from each other, then we have two in 5 years.

We had one season with a triple double average, then didn’t see one in like 60 years until we had westbrook doing it four times, with harden, jokic and doncic all coming very close to doing it in the last few seasons.

But the narrative is that todays nba players are so much more skilled instead of stats being ridiculously inflated due to rule changes and increased pace.
    a completely washed up klay scoring 50+ on the same night as well

todays nba
    zero defense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a completely washed up klay scoring 50+ on the same night as well

todays nba
    zero defense
    thinking they played defense in the 90s

Derozan would averge 45 ppg in that era

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defences are better today how? By giving up 113.7ppg? That's a full 3.1 ppg from just last year. What is causing this sudden surge in scoring? That is only a few years after 2018-19, when the scoring suddenly went from 106.3ppg to 111.2ppg, and two years earlier, scoring went from 102.7 ppg to 105.6 ppg, which was only 100ppg the year prior. 5.6ppg jump in scoring per game, league-wide, in two seasons. These sudden jumps in scoring has nothing to do with an overnight, across the board increase in skills in nba players, it has everything to do with changes in rules and interpretations of it.

The last time the league did NOT have an increase in scoring was 2013-14 to 2014-2015, when scoring dropped from 101ppg to 100ppg. The huge inflation in scoring basically steadily took place since then, going up a whopping 13.7ppg in a mere 8 years. To put that in perspective, from 2000-01 to 2010-11, scoring went from 94.8ppg to 99.6ppg, and 1991 was at 106.3ppg. The last time the league was scoring at this pace was in the mid 80s (granted much smaller use of 3 pointers).

Speaking of 3pters, the increase in scoring isn't solely driven by 3 pointers, the 2 pg shooting of teams are at a ridiculous 54.4%, despite 3's staying at around 35% since forever. It is essentially a layup line to the basket due to:
    1) the volume and frequency of 3s
    2) change in defensive rules to open up the lanes for drives
    3) lack of rim protecting bigs as they are being pulled out to the perimeter.

Interesting tidbit, there were 11 players in the history of the NBA who had 10 or more 50+ point games, 4 are active, with Durant sitting at 9 (I am surprised, I thought he'd be there for sure). This reeks of disparity of skills rather than this magical increase in ability.
    So once again you just look at the number of points scored to determine whether or not it's more defensive

It's terribly flawed and lackig context

Hiher pace, more 3 pt baskets made, more talent from top to bottom, more international players are why there is an uptick in scoring

90s had a slower pace, less 3 pt scoring, one dimensional offenses, less talent, scrub ass journeymen who got into the NBA only because of the massive expansion - Starks grocery bagger was a NBA player ffs

By the way you mentioned Booker, Harden, Russ etc as stat padders.
    I guess Michael Adams, Alex English or Dominique Wilkins never existed
    Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan were Russell Wetbrook before Russell Westbrook; Big O was a glorified Stat stuffer who didn't win jack & until he got to play with Kareem; Jordan only cared about his stats until he got Jackson, he was notorious for checking his stat sheets after every single game

And at least the guys you mentioned are all stars
    In the 90s you had scrubs like Willie Burton dropping 53 points
    Some plumber named Labradford Smith dropped 37 on Jordan

Feel free to move goal posts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So once again you just look at the number of points scored to determine whether or not it's more defensive

It's terribly flawed and lackig context

Hiher pace, more 3 pt baskets made, more talent from top to bottom, more international players are why there is an uptick in scoring

90s had a slower pace, less 3 pt scoring, one dimensional offenses, less talent, scrub ass journeymen who got into the NBA only because of the massive expansion - Starks grocery bagger was a NBA player ffs
    All valid points, but the dramatic increases in points and other related metrics (assists, rebounds) is directly due to changes in rules that favours a fast pace by minimizing the effectiveness in defences.

The ppg/100 possessions of the median team this year is 113.7, it was 112.8 last year and 112 before that. To compare, it was only 107.7 in 2011 and 103.2 in 2001. It was 106.3 in 1991, which was a couple of years after the expansion of 4 franchises that diluted the talent pool.

Are the players now, with their lifetime of training and multimillion dollar equipment and facilities better equipped than before? Of course! But is it almost 1% increase every single year for the last 20 years or so? no! The game has changed so much due to rule changes that it is barely the same game.

To wit, even with a much larger pool of players training day and night since grade school due to the dramatic increase in player salaries in the 90s, we still have players who were Ubereats drivers and some rando selling fried chicken in Nigeria coming into the league.

By the way you mentioned Booker, Harden, Russ etc as stat padders.
    I guess Michael Adams, Alex English or Dominique Wilkins never existed
    Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan were Russell Wetbrook before Russell Westbrook; Big O was a glorified Stat stuffer who didn't win jack & until he got to play with Kareem; Jordan only cared about his stats until he got Jackson, he was notorious for checking his stat sheets after every single game
    Did i say there were no stat-padders before? No! But those stat padders did score 70 points a game, put up 60point triple doubles or average a triple double in 4 separate years. There were always stat padders and will continue to have stat padders, just that those stat padders cannot put up crazy numbers like Booker, Mitc , Harden and Westbrook did.

BTW, respectably disagree that the Big O was a stat padders. They were on horrible teams that didn't win anything because there were better teams. The Royals improved year after year with the Big O at the helm, Jordan was a ball hog for sure but didn't stat pad to the extent of Harden and Westbrook.

And at least the guys you mentioned are all stars
    In the 90s you had scrubs like Willie Burton dropping 53 points
    Some plumber named Labradford Smith dropped 37 on Jordan

Feel free to move goal posts
    TOSB Klay Thomson just dropped 50 points. Fred Van Fleet did it. Saddiq Bey did it. TJ Warren did it. Caris LeVert, Kevin Porter Jr, Jamal Murray, Eric Gordon. I have absolutely no issues with rando dropping 50 out of nowhere because any player can get hot in a game, but there are a lot more randos now than before. There was 4 50 point games in 2000, there were 22 in 2019. So far this year, there are already 13! With Pascal Siakim (who is definitely NOT having his best season) and Darius Garland joining the fray.

And what goal posts? The point is that the explosion in scoring (along with assists and rebounds) is due to an increase in pace due to rule changes that favours offence, not BECAUSE of the skill increase. Offensive skills and defensive skills should improve in lock-step, the idea that increase in frequency in video-like game numbers is due mostly to skill increases is illogical, especially when players that has been in the league for a long period of time (such as Lebron James) are putting up these numbers at the frequency of their primes.

Lebron already has 2 40+ point games this season when he didn't have a single season of more than 4 such games since 2010-11. By any logical explanation, he should be getting fewer and fewer of these games, but he has been consistently putting up these numbers year after year. He put up his 2nd highest scoring average in his career last year and on pace for the 5th highest this year.

Similar to Durant, he is getting the 3rd highest scoring average in his career last year, and on pace for 4th highest this year.

Giannis is hard to say as he is really hitting his prime now, but there are player after player who's scoring average is at or near the top of their careers despite being in the league for a prolonged period of time. Same for Kyrie although I find it interesting that a player who is predominantly reliant on his quickness having his four highest scoring seasons in the last four years. I can't see that being their skill suddenly hitting a high in their 10th or 15th year, despite a massive drop off in athletic ability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay isthe 2nd greatest shooter of all time and mad underrated tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay isthe 2nd greatest shooter of all time and mad underrated tbh
    It’s officially Ray Allen. But point taken. That said, he is, despite being only 32 years old, way past his prime due to injuries. Again, no problem with him dropping 50 in any random game because that’s what shooters can do, it it’s to counter you saying some below superstar/allstar dropping 50 in a game.

I’m actually interested in seeing the average tenure of an nba player. If the skill level is improving at the rate you are implying, the average nba tenure should be noticeably decreasing as newer players should replace old players due to those improvements in skill sets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zion out for a longer time again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thunder pounding the mental miget Celtics by 14 in the 2nd qtr.

Unless this is a gambling set up, Spurs have a chance to gain in the loss standings.

Lot of game to go tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s officially Ray Allen. But point taken. That said, he is, despite being only 32 years old, way past his prime due to injuries. Again, no problem with him dropping 50 in any random game because that’s what shooters can do, it it’s to counter you saying some below superstar/allstar dropping 50 in a game.

I’m actually interested in seeing the average tenure of an nba player. If the skill level is improving at the rate you are implying, the average nba tenure should be noticeably decreasing as newer players should replace old players due to those improvements in skill sets.
    thinking Ray Allen is a better shooter than Klay

Yes Klay is 32 but you know, sport science and nutrition are much better today vs the 90s

32 year old today like a 25 yo from the 90s tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thinking Ray Allen is a better shooter than Klay

Yes Klay is 32 but you know, sport science and nutrition are much better today vs the 90s

32 year old today like a 25 yo from the 90s tbh
    Allen makes 2.1 3s at 40% being a primary scorer a large chunk of his career when the league shot way less 3s, Klay makes 3 a game on 41.5% with literally single teams every single game. Klay is a “great shooter” because defences were on curry. Without curry he shoots 39.4% making 2.9 3s. The argument can certainly be made. Besides, it’s not his age, it’s that he got severely injured. Look at his shooting splits, they are down across the board.

When Allen was relegated to the klay role of a catch and shoot guy in Boston and Miami, he was shooting low to mid 40s on 2 made 3s a game.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Another 50 point game tonight

tdays nba

Thread Information