Page 9 of 90 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anthony Black ( PG- 6-7, 198lb)

A prospect i start to like is Anthony Black, long PG who can do a little bit of everything. Without Smith he'll have more responsabilities at Arkansas.

2022-2023 Stats : 12 pts 5 rbs 3.6 ast 1.6 stl 0.6 blk 46% 30% 3pt ( 3 3PA/G) 70% ft ( 5 FTA/G)

Notes : Take a look at Baba Miller in the next weeks, he played his first game yesterday with Florida State.
    I don't mention Scoot because he's a top 2 talent for me. Same with the Thompson's twins because i have a hard time evaluating them and their highlights are against really low compe ion.

Sorry for this long posts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Miller ( SF- 6-9, 200lb)

Miller is maybe the best player right now between all the top 10 players in the NCAA. He's long , he's a really good shooter and he can rebound well. Right now he'll have some difficulties finishing at the rim. Not a bad defender averaging nearly one steal and one block.
    He's one year older than other top prospects except the Thompson's twins.

2022-2023 Stats : 18.8 pts 8.2 rbs 2 ast 0.8 stl 0.9 blk 44% 44.5% 3PT 5( 7 3PA/G) 83% FT ( 5 FTA/G)

Nick Smith Jr.(PG/SG- 6-5, 185lb)

I really like Nick Smith, after Scoot Wemby and Whithead ( college version lol), he's probably my guy. There's some rumors that he'll probably shut it down this year ( he's a Klutch player ).
    Like George or Miller he's not a good finisher at the rim lacking some physicality but he's quick, can shoot with a good IQ. Lot of potential.

2022-2023 Stats : 13 pts 2 ast 2 rebs 39% 30% 3 pt in 5 games

GG Jackson( PF- 6-9,
    215lb)

High ceilling player but a lot of things to work on. He just turned 18.

2022-2023 Stats : 15.8 pts 6.8 rbs 0.8 stl 0.8 bl 41.2% 33.8 3pt%( 5 3PA/G) 63.5 % FT

Good stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appreciate the scouting reports duncan2150!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks duncan2150 and everyone contributing to this thread. Haven't had the time to watch these prospects for myself (will do come February/March), so this is a good source of info.
    I think it's clear Wembanyama and Scoot are everyone's top 2 picks. And I'm sure whomever lands Wemby is going to keep him. However, I'm wondering if that's the case with Scoot, given his profile as a ball dominant, high usage PG. The bottom teams right now include Houston, Charlotte and Detroit.
    Detroit already has Cunningham and Ivey and there's only one ball to go around, adding Scoot to the mix doesn't seem like a good fit, though he's a Troy Weaver kind of guy. But and they may take him and see where it goes... but there's only one ball and something (or someone) has got to give.
    Charlotte already has it's franchise player in Lamelo, and given his style and personality, adding a second ball dominant young star with alpha dog mindset sounds like a recipe for disaster, at a time where they're trying to build around him and keep him at ease, which is already difficult with the whole Bridges ordeal. He's also set for an extension soon enough, you'd think they'd like to keep him happy.
    In terms of fit, Houston isn't such a horrible one as the previous 2, but maybe adding another alpha dog type to the pack of selfish knuckleheads they call a roster isn't the best idea.
    To sum it up, as good as Scoot is, there's a chance some of the teams with the best odds to land him could be a bad fit, and maybe if we come up a bit short of a top 2 pick (say 3/4/5/6) that could still give us a shot at him, albeit at the surely costly expense of other young assets. Or maybe it opens up other unexpected opportunities (Ivey?). In any case, it's something to keep an eye on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks duncan2150 and everyone contributing to this thread. Haven't had the time to watch these prospects for myself (will do come February/March), so this is a good source of info.
    I think it's clear Wembanyama and Scoot are everyone's top 2 picks. And I'm sure whomever lands Wemby is going to keep him. However, I'm wondering if that's the case with Scoot, given his profile as a ball dominant, high usage PG. The bottom teams right now include Houston, Charlotte and Detroit.
    Detroit already has Cunningham and Ivey and there's only one ball to go around, adding Scoot to the mix doesn't seem like a good fit, though he's a Troy Weaver kind of guy. But and they may take him and see where it goes... but there's only one ball and something (or someone) has got to give.
    Charlotte already has it's franchise player in Lamelo, and given his style and personality, adding a second ball dominant young star with alpha dog mindset sounds like a recipe for disaster, at a time where they're trying to build around him and keep him at ease, which is already difficult with the whole Bridges ordeal. He's also set for an extension soon enough, you'd think they'd like to keep him happy.
    In terms of fit, Houston isn't such a horrible one as the previous 2, but maybe adding another alpha dog type to the pack of selfish knuckleheads they call a roster isn't the best idea.
    To sum it up, as good as Scoot is, there's a chance some of the teams with the best odds to land him could be a bad fit, and maybe if we come up a bit short of a top 2 pick (say 3/4/5/6) that could still give us a shot at him, albeit at the surely costly expense of other young assets. Or maybe it opens up other unexpected opportunities (Ivey?). In any case, it's something to keep an eye on.
    I think anyone at 2 just drafts Scoot and figures it out later. If any team were to trade him it'd be Detroit though (even though I'd bet against it)... trading down to get Cam and extra draft capital could make sense for them...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think anyone at 2 just drafts Scoot and figures it out later. If any team were to trade him it'd be Detroit though (even though I'd bet against it)... trading down to get Cam and extra draft capital could make sense for them...
    Most likely you're right, but I think it could come down to how the board shapes up coming to the draft. If some wing player emerges who comes close to the upper tier, then the fit might be enough to entice them. Detroit could use 3 pt shooting wings much more than guards, if they see one they like maybe a package of no. 3/4 + Keldon Johnson + a pick might do the trick. Detroit has Killian Hayes as well, who's emerging. I think we're by far the best fit for scoot among the bottom teams, followed by Orlando. My point is, there's a chance (albeit a small one) than even a non top 2 pick might land us a top 2 player. For that every position is important, which is why we should fight like for it. It's not the same to trade up a pick or 2, than 4 or 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was curious of those who have spent more time watching these guys what you thought about the comps on this mock draft.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2023-nba-mock-draft/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was curious of those who have spent more time watching these guys what you thought about the comps on this mock draft.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2023-nba-mock-draft/
    Just looking at the top 5 I'd say 2 and 4 I just don't see.... I'm not even sure how they can have prime wb and cp3 as a comp because they are so dissimilar...and amen is nothing like Livingston....he's more athletic, better shooter, and not nearly as good when it comes to court vision... the other 3 I wouldn't argue to much over..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amen is higher on most boards, but Ausar may end up being better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was high on Nick Smith even before his first knee injury he came back and had some good games but he hurt his knee again and has not played for awhile. Definitely do not want to draft anyone who has injury issues but I am sure Spurs will do there due diligence

As far as Miller and Black go watch there game they just played against each other. - Miller is good but he will take time to develop he does not have that top All Star level athleticism and he can not beat his man off the dribble but he can shoot and does go after rebounds even though his is so thin. As far as Black i hate the way they played him as Arkansas kinda was playing PG by committee but he is a solid player just not a top 5 pick which I am hoping we stay in that range.

I think the Thompson twins it all depends who drafts then if they go to a ty development team well they won’t be long in the NBA. If a team with good solid development drafts them then they have a potential from a solid stater to potential All Star. I know they playing against very good High School players but there athleticism is off the charts and Amen does have Excellent court vision and passing skills. To me it has been and will always be can they become better shooters if a teams believes they can they both have a good chance to go in top 10.

Jackson is very good for being so young but I don’t know if we draft another PF?

Cam I like but he is just a better version of Keldon so not sure how he would fit with us?
    Last edited by BackHome; 01-13-2023 at 01:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Nick Smith Jr. was my initial player to track for the pick and I've gone back and forth but the sketchy participation this season has me uncertain.

He did have some good games the few times he was avail but pretty sure I'm ruling him out for now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that,depending what the injury is and if our pick falls, you have to still consider Nick Smith.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should absolutely be targeting Black. He would be a great fit if we land outside the top 3-4

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should absolutely be targeting Black. He would be a great fit if we land outside the top 3-4
    Agreed i start to like him if we are outside of the top 4-5 like you said.

Jackson is very good for being so young but I don’t know if we draft another PF?

Cam I like but he is just a better version of Keldon so not sure how he would fit with us?
    Yes Withmore looks a little redundant with Johnson.

Imo the best fits for this team are PG or combo guard : Smith Jr, George, Black ( outside top 5), Scoot and.... Victor lol

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming we fail to get the top pick, there will be a lot of understandable handwringing in trying to figure out who the Spurs will/should draft, especially with the number three or four pick let’s say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they are truly the best prospects - we can't afford to pass on players because they are redundant to Keldon Johnson. Keldon is a transitory/support piece, not a centerpiece building block, IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they are truly the best prospects - we can't afford to pass on players because they are redundant to Keldon Johnson. Keldon is a transitory/support piece, not a centerpiece building block, IMO.
    That's the right take... we can't really consider who's on the roster with a too 10 pick... we have to take the most talented upside...I like Black but right now I couldn't have him in the top 8... maybe he'll show more between now and the draft..

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the right take... we can't really consider who's on the roster with a too 10 pick... we have to take the most talented upside...I like Black but right now I couldn't have him in the top 8... maybe he'll show more between now and the draft..
    I’d take Black at 5 and strongly argue at 4.

Right now these are the only 3 I’m higher on than Black

Wemby
    Scoot
    Amen

Nick is getting interesting but I’m not there yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you look at the roster projections, obviously just spitballing predictions here but in forecast it appears that Spurs positional needs or depth lack would possibly fall on PG and SF.

If JR gets traded or not picked up again this summer and if Doug gets traded, you will have a thinned out SF depth with just KJ outside of slide downs/shift ups from PF/SG.

If someone snakes Tre Jones and outbids SA, likewise PG position shows some depth lack as it's already thin now with basically Jones/Wes and then ball handling by committee beyond that with some very experimental slottings (point forward Sochan, JR, Bran)

Parenthetical are contracts expiring this summer:

(Jones)/Wesley/
    Vassell/(JR)/(Lang)/Branham
    Keldon/Doug/(KBD)
    Sochan/(Roby)/(Stanley)
    (Poeltl)/Zollins/Bassey?

Almost looks like Scoot would drop the best into what could possibly be assembled/retained for 2023-2024 season. Assuming Jones and Poeltl gets deals to return, and anyones guess as to the backup PF (bring back Stanley?), and say Langford gets a returning deal:

Jones/Scoot/Wesley
    Vassell/Langford/Branham
    Keldon/Doug
    Sochan/Stanley
    Poeltl/Zollins

Leaves 1 rotation slot for Bassey or a veteran depth fill anywhere of need. Plus Spurs still have an early 2nd that could catch a dream faller or pick a Euro stash. Anyway just shooting in the dark, what am I missing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well my whole point was that Wemby doesn't really fit into the roster composition as is if you bring back Poeltl because Poeltl/Zollins would be pretty strong but I suppose you could slot Wemby at PF which a lot of discussion has focused on the possibility of. Solves the PF rotation problem though you'd have to tell a #9 FRP to come off the bench, suppose Sochan is a chill enough personality to comply with that.

Jones/Wesley/2023 SRP
    Vassell/Langford/Branham
    Keldon/Doug
    Wemby/Sochan
    Poeltl/Zollins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But anyway, my point was that most realistically odds-wise and most needed positionally speaking, we probably won't get Wemby. That's okay because honestly there seems to be a hole in the PG SG corps where DJM left. Replacing that might not seem as glamorous as landing Wemby, but might be the truer ticket to a complete team top to bottom.

So someone like NSJr from Ark who seems like a DJ Murray type mold or Scoot or even a distributor like Black would maybe be a better outcome than even landing #1 Wemby though I am not opposed to Wemby outside of some Greg Oden concerns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d take Black at 5 and strongly argue at 4.

Right now these are the only 3 I’m higher on than Black

Wemby
    Scoot
    Amen

Nick is getting interesting but I’m not there yet.
    I've got him in the 8-15 range right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well my whole point was that Wemby doesn't really fit into the roster composition as is if you bring back Poeltl because Poeltl/Zollins would be pretty strong but I suppose you could slot Wemby at PF which a lot of discussion has focused on the possibility of. Solves the PF rotation problem though you'd have to tell a #9 FRP to come off the bench, suppose Sochan is a chill enough personality to comply with that.

Jones/Wesley/2023 SRP
    Vassell/Langford/Branham
    Keldon/Doug
    Wemby/Sochan
    Poeltl/Zollins
    I think we can look at 89-90 as a good example of how to quickly re-construct around an incoming franchise player. The Spurs had a "core" of young players (for the time, when every went to college): Alvin Robertson, Willie Anderson, Johnny Dawkins, Cadillac Anderson and Vernon Maxwell. With David Robinson (and Sean Elliott) coming in, most of these guys were moved to construct the roster around Robinson.

If Wemby is coming in, we shouldn't simply try to force him into our existing (crappy) lineup, you make some deals and build a whole new team even if it means sending out some of the guys you think are promising (Vassell, Johnson, Bran, Wesley, even Sochan).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scoot and the Thompson twins give me the biggest concern from an "Uncle Dennis" perspective. On the surface, they don't seem like the kind of kids who want to be the face of a smaller market team, and will eventually force themselves out to the brighter lights of a bigger city.

Thread Information