Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defenses are better today, stop living in the past tbh
    Disagree

OFFENSES are better today. Players are much more skilled, everybody can dribble and shot from distance. Shooting range has increased the spaces and teams maximize advantage given by these cir stances. Pace is higher, and most of the players can play fast. Teams are taught to generate good shots in a few seconds. Rules variations emphasize this fast paced, non contact basketball.

Nowadays, defenses are way behind offenses level. Players hardly can single guard his man, spacing makes difficult for team mates to help out or double. Rotations are innefective most of the times. There is no size to protect the basket as oftenly the only big is playing defense out of the paint. Etc. Rules and refereeing don't help either.

Individually and collectively, offenses have progressed tremendously but defenses aren't catching up at all. Same with 3pt+dribbling and low post game. Current basketball is unbalanced. I miss some balance. It's like having just desserts for every meal: kids are happy with it but adults are missing something else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree

OFFENSES are better today. Players are much more skilled, everybody can dribble and shot from distance. Shooting range has increased the spaces and teams maximize advantage given by these cir stances. Pace is higher, and most of the players can play fast. Teams are taught to generate good shots in a few seconds. Rules variations emphasize this fast paced, non contact basketball.

Nowadays, defenses are way behind offenses level. Players hardly can single guard his man, spacing makes difficult for team mates to help out or double. Rotations are innefective most of the times. There is no size to protect the basket as oftenly the only big is playing defense out of the paint. Etc. Rules and refereeing don't help either.

Individually and collectively, offenses have progressed tremendously but defenses aren't catching up at all. Same with 3pt+dribbling and low post game. Current basketball is unbalanced. I miss some balance. It's like having just desserts for every meal: kids are happy with it but adults are missing something else.
    Of course offenses are better.

You cant touch the ing guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends what rules are applied.

Laimbeer would be a max player if 80s rules were used.

Save the acrobats for cirq du soleil or ballet. I like the guy that will put someone in a wheelchair once in a while
    Well obviously it's hard to compare eras; different rules, different approach, culture, etc

I am guilty of time transporting X player to Y era, but that's not how it works; Laimbeer or Harper would have learned a different type of game and skills if they were born 22 years ago
    Imagine Laimbeer doing crossovers before shooting a 3, that woud be weird to watch but realistic if he was from the current generation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id like to see how good offenses today are after an elbow to the back of the head or an uppercut to the ribcage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree

Well yeah today's game benefits smaller perimeters players

The same way 80s-90s rules favored big men

But yeah I get what you mean when you are saying today's game lacks balance and variety, that's something I miss
    (along with true rivalries)
    Last edited by lefty; 08-12-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Thread Information