College
    Texas Longhorns
    Infp (this makes me a saint)

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    CBF - Yeah, I like philosophy all right. It's not something I've studied extensively though. The Honors College at UH (where I did my undergrad) gives a really good overview of philosophy (sort of a study of the history of philosophy), and I took a couple of classes in that direction, but they were more geared towards hermenuetics and historiography than actual philosophy. I've read Plato's Republic, of course, and some Neitzche and Heidegger. I'd like to read Kierkegaard, but I've been putting it off because I have a really hard time reading academc works for some reason. I can breeze through a 500 page novel in an afternoon, but it takes me three days to read The Prince. Sigh. It's frustrating because I lose my place or I read the words but they don't make sense. It's like reading in another language sometimes, and I feel so stupid when I do that.

Anyway, I like anything related to the human condition - philosophy, psychology, history and religion are my favorites, sociology and anthropology less interesting to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    ^^well if you can read a 500 page novel in one afternoon you're not that dumb
    I wish I could do that ! I'm a slowpoke

philosophy rules btw, but ancient appeals to me more, haven't read much at all of modern

Too weird to live, and too rare to die. midgetonadonkey's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Your Type is
    INTP
    Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
    Strength of the preferences %
    67 38 88 33

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Presocratics were fun, and it's really fascinating how much math and philosophy were linked for such a long time. Heraclitus is a fun one, with all the aphorisms. I swear all of our students know his saying "You never step into the same river twice."

But honestly, the thing that helped me the most with philosophy was "Pooh and The Philosophers - how all of western philosophy was a prelude to Winnie the Pooh." It actually really helped me get the various schools of philosophy down, especially the section on Pre-Socratics, where the author dissects one of my favorite Winnie The Pooh stories about Eeyore and his birthday to explain how the shape of the world influenced the philosophy.

:blushes:

Really intellectual there, right? Working in academia always makes you feel dumb.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    I'm more familiar with the Riggs and Murtaugh test.
    I'm too old for this .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The Presocratics were fun, and it's really fascinating how much math and philosophy were linked for such a long time. Heraclitus is a fun one, with all the aphorisms. I swear all of our students know his saying "You never step into the same river twice."

But honestly, the thing that helped me the most with philosophy was "Pooh and The Philosophers - how all of western philosophy was a prelude to Winnie the Pooh." It actually really helped me get the various schools of philosophy down, especially the section on Pre-Socratics, where the author dissects one of my favorite Winnie The Pooh stories about Eeyore and his birthday to explain how the shape of the world influenced the philosophy.

:blushes:

Really intellectual there, right? Working in academia always makes you feel dumb.

Heraclitus was the ! Heraclitus and Parmenides pretty much sum up every thing I want to know haha
    like yin and yang

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sadly, I recognize the name, but do not recall reading Parmenides.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Istj

ISTJ's type description by J. Butt was so *me* it was creepy.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Interesting. Mine seemed pretty dead on too, except for a couple that talk about loving humanity and working to right injustices. That's not me so much - I think people need to take responsibility for their own situations so I'm not much on helping hands.

Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Also istj. Compared to Jesus' disciple Thomas (yes, the doubter).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Sadly, I recognize the name, but do not recall reading Parmenides.
    I like to think of him as the opposite of Heraclitus...heraclitus taught flux, alot of everything working in motion to form a whole, everything is never the same
    P taught nothing changes, there is no everythign, etc

Even I went to a GTG iminlakerland's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    ENFJ

You are:
    moderately expressed extrovert

moderately expressed intuitive personality

moderately expressed feeling personality

moderately expressed judging personality

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ENTJ

FieldMarshal

Famous ENTJs:
    U.S. Presidents:
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    Richard M. Nixon

Benny Goodman, "Big Band" leader
    General Norman Schwarzkopf
    Harrison Ford
    Steve Martin
    Whoopi Goldberg
    Sigourney Weaver
    Margaret Thatcher
    Al Gore (U.S Vice President, 1993-2001)
    Lamar Alexander (former governor, US Secretary of Education)
    Les Aspen, former U.S. Secretary of Defense
    Candace Bergen (Murphy Brown)
    Dave Letterman
    Newt Gingrich
    Patrick Stewart (STNG: Jean Luc Picard)
    Robert James Waller (author: The Bridges of Madison County)
    Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, The Mask)
    Steve Jobs
    Penn Jillette
    Fictional ENTJs:

Geordi LaForge (STNG)

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    INFJ (Counselor Idealist, according to Kiersey temprament sorter) - my type:
    The Counselor Idealists are abstract in thought and speech, cooperative in reaching their goals, and directive and introverted in their interpersonal roles. Counselors focus on human potentials, think in terms of ethical values, and come easily to decisions. The small number of this type (little more than 2 percent) is regrettable, since Counselors have an unusually strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others and genuinely enjoy helping their companions. Although Counsleors tend to be private, sensitive people, and are not generally visible leaders, they nevertheless work quite intensely with those close to them, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes with their families, friends, and colleagues. This type has great depth of personality; they are themselves complicated, and can understand and deal with complex issues and people.

Counselors can be hard to get to know. They have an unusually rich inner life, but they are reserved and tend not to share their reactions except with those they trust. With their loved ones, certainly, Counselors are not reluctant to express their feelings, their face lighting up with the positive emotions, but darkening like a thunderhead with the negative. Indeed, because of their strong ability to take into themselves the feelings of others, Counselors can be hurt rather easily by those around them, which, perhaps, is one reason why they tend to be private people, mutely withdrawing from human contact. At the same time, friends who have known a Counselor for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise. Not that they are inconsistent; Counselors value their integrity a great deal, but they have intricately woven, mysterious personalities which sometimes puzzle even them.

Counselors have strong empathic abilities and can become aware of another's emotions or intentions -- good or evil -- even before that person is conscious of them. This "mind-reading" can take the form of feeling the hidden distress or illnesses of others to an extent which is difficult for other types to comprehend. Even Counselors can seldom tell how they came to penetrate others' feelings so keenly. Furthermore, the Counselor is most likely of all the types to demonstrate an ability to understand psychic phenomena and to have visions of human events, past, present, or future. What is known as ESP may well be exceptional intuitive ability-in both its forms, projection and introjection. Such supernormal intuition is found frequently in the Counselor, and can extend to people, things, and often events, taking the form of visions, episodes of foreknowledge, premonitions, auditory and visual images of things to come, as well as uncanny communications with certain individuals at a distance.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I am also an INFJ

Famous INFJs:

Nathan, prophet of Israel
    Aristophanes
    Chaucer
    Goethe
    Robert Burns, Scottish poet

U.S. Presidents:
    Martin Van Buren
    James Earl "Jimmy" Carter
    Nathaniel Hawthorne
    Fanny Crosby, (blind) hymnist
    Mother Teresa of Calcutta
    Fred McMurray (My Three Sons)
    Shirley Temple Black, child actor, ambassador
    Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader, martyr
    James Reston, newspaper reporter
    Shirley McClain (Sweet Charity, ...)
    Piers Anthony, author ("Xanth" series)
    Michael Landon (Little House on the Prairie)
    Tom Selleck
    John Katz, critic, author
    Paul Stookey (Peter, Paul and Mary)
    U. S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL)
    Billy Crystal
    Garry Trudeau (Doonesbury)
    Nelson Mandela
    Mel Gibson
    Carrie Fisher
    Nicole Kidman
    Jamie Foxx
    Sela Ward
    Mark Harmon
    Gary Dourdan
    Marg Helgaberger
    Evangeline Lilly
    Tori May

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A company I had worked for about 9 years ago, spent big bucks on these tests...I "tested" and the results were INFP. Me an I...nfp. Everyone pretty much knows I am an extrovert, someone suggested that I was a "closet" Introvert. Now that I have changed careers, I should see what I am now....other than a weirdo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    We did that at work a few times.

I was STFU.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    saw a classmate post about this on facebook, and had never heard of it till now...

short 10-12 minute questionnaire here: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

labeled me as something called ISTP

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Now I'm hungry for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    , I saw this thread and thought it was about topology.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    M-B has been largely debunked in Psychology. It's slightly (and I mean slightly) more valuable than a horoscope.

People use these tests to define themselves and it's terrible. They have been shown to have very poor reproducible values -- people who don't remember their responses usually end up with something moderately different than their last test, meaning it's less a personality test and more of a "how are you feeling today?" test. It's the computer version of a mood ring. Also, self-reporting is notoriously nebulous by nature, as Dr. House says, "People lie."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    M-B has been largely debunked in Psychology. It's slightly (and I mean slightly) more valuable than a horoscope.

People use these tests to define themselves and it's terrible. They have been shown to have very poor reproducible values -- people who don't remember their responses usually end up with something moderately different than their last test, meaning it's less a personality test and more of a "how are you feeling today?" test. It's the computer version of a mood ring. Also, self-reporting is notoriously nebulous by nature, as Dr. House says, "People lie."
    Mmmm. I don't think so. My result said I am Supergenius Pussymagnet.

Thread Information