Backup Goddess, tbh. Gummi Clutch's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always hear about "Poop's system" on this end of the ST basement from other NBA fans. I'm curious...what exactly do you all think it is? And why the is it some mythical bull everybody continues to fall back on.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    his system was Tim and the multiple other all-NBA talents that overlapped with Tim's career. Always was and always will be. Poop exposed as fraud otherwise tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many folks here owe Kawhi an apologie, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm thinking guys like Bynumite, djohn2oo8, stretch and some other Lakers fans.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    meh, spurs are still a playoff team.

Backup Goddess, tbh. Gummi Clutch's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meh, spurs are still a playoff team.
    Oh they'll show up for the playoffs, they just won't be invited to any of the subsequent rounds. Fear not though, we have "Pop's system"...some NBA cheatcode that lets us do whatever with any group of players we want

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Pop's system is getting that group of rejects to the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing special about his coaching schemes. He just feeds his best players, encourages lots of passing to find the open man, and yells at you for ing up on defense. The beautiful game was just relentless drive-and-kicks.

Pop himself will tell you, "It's not complicated. It's just basketball." There are only so many ways to move a ball across a court and into a basket.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 04-05-2018 at 01:18 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's still mostly competing hard on defense tbh, whether you have the tools to or not.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Offensively, He used prime Duncan in the post to force doubles to open cutting lanes and open looks from the perimeter. When he shifted to Parker and Duncan played more and more high post almost to exclusivity, he used Tony’s ability to get to the rim and finish in a similar way to force the defense to sink, creating open looks from the perimeter. Same principle. Somehow force the defense to collapse and break down, score easy buckets if they’re there. And when the defense is forced to react, play unselfishly to find the open man. Hit your open shots.

Spurs were also also one of the first teams to really and consistently exploit the corner three point shot at both ends. With it being the closest three point jump shot and apparently statistically the easiest to make, he almost always had good shooters planted in the corner for kickouts by Duncan in the post or Tony on drives. Defensively, it was one of Pop’s main principles to run the other team off the corner and force the baseline drive into help defense. That was a staple. Idk if that’s Pop’s system, per se. But those are some strategic principles that seem to pervade his teams.

Seems like his system was maybe more about overall approach than actual strategy. Everyone compete defensively. Everyone play unselfishly offensively. His best players are the hardest workers. He treats and yells at everyone equally but he lets the best players shine. Is that a system? Idk.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Poop's "system" is getting carried by Duncan, Manu and Kawhi and taking all the credit for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand that most people on the boards aren't really management types, so it is hard to see the value of Pop.

What Pop really brought to the table was really his ability to connect to the players, that he treats them fairly and with care and respect, that the yelling is nothing personal, but a drive to make the players improve and advance their careers. As such, he gained the trust of his players.

There are some great on-court strategies that were employed like Chris Fall mentioned as well.

He also adapted to the league over the years, went from plodding heavy defensive style by taking advantage of the twin towers in 1999, to a Duncan centric offense in 2003, then to an inside out approach like the Shaq 3 peat Lakers did in 05 and 07, and then to heavy ball movement plays in 2014. The transformation of the Spurs offense from 2007 to 2014 was quite astounding. He went from Duncan, to Manu, to Parker, then to everyone, then to Kawhi. He exploited the 3 point shooting advantage, and is now trying to take advantage of the midrange. Unlike most coaches, who force players to conform to his preferred style, Pop adapted his system based on players strengths and the rules.

Of course, none of this would be possible if it weren't for superstars with minimal egos like Robinson, Duncan and Manu. Let's see if Kawhi will fit in that mode.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Pop did one thing particularly well that few people seem to mention but everyone will recognize: hire good assistant coaches. Most other NBA teams have assistant coaches that you'll probably never see as a head coach or they have former head coaches who needed a job. Look at Pop's coaching tree, it goes on forever.

So, good coaches (not just Pop), great trainers and medical staff (regardless of KL's paranoia) and ownership that allows all these people to do their jobs.

A lot of that has changed but the Spurs still aren't worse than the mid level playoff teams. What other NBA franchise ever had that ability to lose almost everyone on their team and coaching staff and still not miss the playoffs?

Most head coaches treat every game like their job is on the line if they don't win. Pop has the luxury through tenure to treat the regular season like an extended training camp. Other HCs over-analyze every game and their emotional roller coaster is apparent in the media when they give their post game interview. Pop skips any basketball discussion. Only successful folks have that much rope.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Brad Stevens is the best coach of all time

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Brad Stevens is the best coach of all time
    luke got next

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    so a team loses a top 3 player in the league for the season, are also injured and old, and they still win close to 50 games .... and you s are still upset

give pop a medal tbh, putting up with your bull for 20 years SMH sons.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    I don't get the Brad Stevens love. The team did almost as well last year. The 76ers made a huge turnaround.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Spurs team without Kawhi is pretty bad. No elite offense outside of Aldridge, and only 1 other guy who's a threat for consistent 15 ppg in Gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pops system is gettin expose, cause he doesnt have a big as crafty as duncan to close down the defense and pass out...LMA cant do , doesnt help when u have midgets afraid too shoot the ball fearing they go straight to the bench

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    pops system is gettin expose, cause he doesnt have a big as crafty as duncan to close down the defense and pass out...LMA cant do , doesnt help when u have midgets afraid too shoot the ball fearing they go straight to the bench
    LMA is the ONLY reason they are seeded.

Thread Information