Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe the voters shot down the 98 plan. It required tax cuts or bonds or something that the municipality or school district needed to approve before it got to the voters. They shot down the tax breaks which lead to the arena plan falling apart before it got to voters. The only plan that got before voters was the ATT center which passed.
    LOL only in Texas would you use tax cuts to pay for .

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Michael Dell would pay those penalties like throwing a penny in a Salvation Army bucket if it meant he could move the team to Austin tbh.
    Only if Austin built him an arena. Dude is a scammer through and through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Women hotter in Austin or in San Antonio?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HEB Center or Erwin (while it exists) could work for Austin.
    HEB Center is way too small for regular season games. Erwin Center is done. The new Moody Center will be fine for the trial games but the Spurs would want and need their own arena to actually move up here. It all comes down to whether they could make more money up here paying for most of it themselves versus the subsidies they might get from local governments in San Antonio. The number of potential arena sites near Austin's core is dwindling as well, so I wouldn't consider a move a slam dunk. The Alamodome will be 40 years old by the time the relocation agreement expires, so the city might actually be thinking of partnering in a more useful arena on that lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As an outsider myself Austin is a cool city I guess if you are a young professional making 100k a year. It’s hardly a FA destination for the NBA though.

What’s the big difference between Austin and San Antonio? College chicks? Hipster/tech culture?
    I’m from SA but have lived in both, and still spend a fair amount of time in ATX as I have family there.

Austin is just an entirely different vibe from SA (and the rest of Texas, really). I personally think it’s a bit overrated when you consider how insanely popular it has become and how fast it has grown over the past 5 years, which has skyrocketed the cost of living there. And, I hate that’s it basically becoming California of the south, but that’s what attracts young people to it tbh. It’s an eclectic city with a vibrant night life, great food, and aesthetically beautiful scenery, as it’s located in heart of the hill country and sits on the Colorado River and Lake Travis. It just has a younger, more energetic feel to it with lots of young people (college students as you mentioned) and talentless, good-looking people who move there to be influencers or what have you.

And also as you mentioned, Tech businesses are moving there in droves, bringing lots of business opportunities with them. I even saw the other day that Austin was being mentioned as a potential destination for an expansion MLB team. The vast majority of locals in Austin don’t give a about baseball, but it’s such a fast growing city and it’s becoming such a melting pot of people from from all over the world, that in a decade it will likely be ripe for another professional team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is just me spitballing but in this day and age a new arena for a team who isn’t a perennial contender should offer a fuller experience for everyone. Correct me if I’m wring but downtown San Antonio could easily accommodate a 3-4yr build that would accommodate the Spurs and serve broader tourism. Just a matter of who is paying.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Move the team to Austin in 10 years when the lease is up tbh. Make it a FA destination.

Spurs will have the same success in Austin as they do in SA in getting FA's. I don't understand why people can't accept that if you are not NYC, LA, Miami then you are not getting the A list FA's to come down here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m from SA but have lived in both, and still spend a fair amount of time in ATX as I have family there.

Austin is just an entirely different vibe from SA (and the rest of Texas, really). I personally think it’s a bit overrated when you consider how insanely popular it has become and how fast it has grown over the past 5 years, which has skyrocketed the cost of living there. And, I hate that’s it basically becoming California of the south, but that’s what attracts young people to it tbh. It’s an eclectic city with a vibrant night life, great food, and aesthetically beautiful scenery, as it’s located in heart of the hill country and sits on the Colorado River and Lake Travis. It just has a younger, more energetic feel to it with lots of young people (college students as you mentioned) and talentless, good-looking people who move there to be influencers or what have you.

And also as you mentioned, Tech businesses are moving there in droves, bringing lots of business opportunities with them. I even saw the other day that Austin was being mentioned as a potential destination for an expansion MLB team. The vast majority of locals in Austin don’t give a about baseball, but it’s such a fast growing city and it’s becoming such a melting pot of people from from all over the world, that in a decade it will likely be ripe for another professional team.

Yeah, a great city for young professionals with a little bit of disposable income but pls don’t ever compare Austin to SoCal.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin would need to build a new arena for the Spurs as well. Erwin wouldn’t work. H-E-B is to small. And I think the moody center is too small as well. They have places for a couple games a year but not to house a nba franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only if Austin built him an arena. Dude is a scammer through and through.
    Yep. I remember years ago when he had to pay like a $150M settlement out of court for fraud after misleading investors by padding their quarterly earnings

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, Oklahoma City has a team because Clay Bennett broke the Key Arena lease.
    Yeah, and everything good they brought from Seattle has now fled, and they are a cellar team for the foreseeable future despite the treasure chest of draft picks Presti has acquired. Oh, and they are still located in freaking Oklahoma.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HEB Center is way too small for regular season games. Erwin Center is done. The new Moody Center will be fine for the trial games but the Spurs would want and need their own arena to actually move up here. It all comes down to whether they could make more money up here paying for most of it themselves versus the subsidies they might get from local governments in San Antonio. The number of potential arena sites near Austin's core is dwindling as well, so I wouldn't consider a move a slam dunk. The Alamodome will be 40 years old by the time the relocation agreement expires, so the city might actually be thinking of partnering in a more useful arena on that lot.
    For a couple exhibition games or MAYBE one regular season...HEB could suffice (though much smaller than AT&T). I haven't been to Moody Center yet so can't speak for it.

But like I said...I just don't see the Austin population taking to the Spurs like San Antonians have, and I don't see San Antonians making the drive up to Austin. We struggle to fill seats as it is.

Personally, I love Austin and it's definitely a more fun and vibrant city than San Antonio...but abandoning an entire fanbase to move into UT territory would be a mistake imho

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is just me spitballing but in this day and age a new arena for a team who isn’t a perennial contender should offer a fuller experience for everyone. Correct me if I’m wring but downtown San Antonio could easily accommodate a 3-4yr build that would accommodate the Spurs and serve broader tourism. Just a matter of who is paying.
    SA has a great advantage with at least two potential downtown sites presently occupied by the dome and Fox Tech. The best Austin can do is an old Home Depot off I-35 that's not convenient to any real hot spots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will have the same success in Austin as they do in SA in getting FA's. I don't understand why people can't accept that if you are not NYC, LA, Miami then you are not getting the A list FA's to come down here.
    I’m not saying Austin is LA or NYC. Not even close to either of those. But you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think Austin is more appealing to young people with money than San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SA has a great advantage having at least two potential downtown sites presently occupied by the dome and Fox Tech. The best Austin can do is an old Home Depot off I-35 that's not convenient to any real hot spots.
    Agree that this will also play a big part. Property in Austin is selling like hot cakes right now. Fast forward a few years and it will be astronomically more expensive than it already is. Austin FC had to build their new arena 25 minutes north of the city and they bought that property 3 years ago. The Alamodome lot would be an amazing spot for a new arena/entertainment complex if they could make that work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good post and some food for thought, tbh.

Obviously Austin now has the FC team and I've heard rumblings of an MLB or even NFL team (far fetched being in Cowboy territory)...but yeah, maybe it's not as crazy as I thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SA has a great advantage with at least two potential downtown sites presently occupied by the dome and Fox Tech.
    Victoria Courts? That's where they should have built SBC/AT&T.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 72/73 the Houston rockets played 13 "home" games in San Antonio

I just don't see Austin as an end destination.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Genius moves tbh

this is coming from someone who doesn’t care if they stay or if they go. I’ve got no ties to SA. You just can’t deny the smart moves happening here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was just gonna say, this is a nothingburger, and the people worried about the team moving should remember they're building a half billion dollar sports complex for them on the nice side of town. they ain't going anywhere for a long while

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Genius moves tbh

this is coming from someone who doesn’t care if they stay or if they go. I’ve got no ties to SA. You just can’t deny the smart moves happening here.
    I mean what are the spurs suppose to say? We are worried about getting an arena in 5-7 years and are exploring / setting wheels for relocation in 10 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another snippet from the article:

R.C. Buford, CEO of Spurs Sports & Entertainment released the following statement regarding the proposal:“From day one, we’ve received amazing support from Spurs fans in San Antonio and across South and Central Texas. We are committed to finding new, creative ways to purposefully engage and celebrate our fans from Mexico to Austin, continuing to expand our regional fanbase. We believe San Antonio is uniquely positioned from a cultural, geographic and economic standpoint to serve as the anchor for this region. San Antonio has been home for five decades and the organization will continue to innovate, positioning the Spurs to thrive in San Antonio for the next 50 years.””

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean what are the spurs suppose to say? We are worried about getting an arena in 5-7 years and are exploring / setting wheels for relocation in 10 years
    I don’t know, man. You can worry about it for the next 5-10 years or just live on with life. I’m not so attached to the Spurs because of where they play but maybe it’s harder for folks like you who depend on them to stay. I’m sorry for all the anxiety this is causing you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was just gonna say, this is a nothingburger, and the people worried about the team moving should remember they're building a half billion dollar sports complex for them on the nice side of town. they ain't going anywhere for a long while
    They're building it right next to UTSA who themselves are in need of a new athletic complex with their program's rise. Could easily see the Spurs selling it at a loss if they see greater profits to be had in a move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ as a fan from Toronto/Van if the Spurs moved from San Antonio to Vegas I’d still be a fan and it actually
    would make little difference but as a boy that early 00’s referendum was scary.

Thread Information