Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Golden state isn't trading Draymond. No way in .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d rather trade up for deni or maybe trade down and get a piece for Aldridge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This would have to be for Wiseman eh?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one who wouldn't mind andrew wiggins? This coming season is shortened. Who cares. Deal with his contract for 1 season and in his contract year he shows his potential so he can get paid again, haha.
    Nah Im with you but the list is not long. That being said I would not do LMA for him I would want #2. also would not send them LMA and 11.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. They can have Wiseman, a potential All-Star Caliber Player. His skillset is already at a stage, that can help them right away.
    First, they don’t want someone who can help them they want someone who can help them get by the Lakers in the next 2 to 3 seasons. Wiseman is not likely going to do that. 2nd, if they just keep him it will cost them around 40 million per year with the luxury tax.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    LMA and Spurs #11th pick for #2 pick and Wiggins isn't a bad deal for Warriors. If they are in win now mode they should take it. I would guess Spurs would have to add Patty Mills. Warriors would be crazy good this upcoming season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA and Spurs #11th pick for #2 pick and Wiggins isn't a bad deal for Warriors. If they are in win now mode they should take it. I would guess Spurs would have to add Patty Mills. Warriors would be crazy good this upcoming season.
    It's a great deal for the Warriors. If they can get off one of the 5 worst contracts in the NBA & add a stretch 5 in exchange for moving down just 9 places in a bad draft that's unreal. The Spurs would be insane to do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way in gs trades number two for Aldridge .. it’s a pipe dream .
    It sounds more like the framework rather than the trade itself. A trade between the two teams would probably be something like:

Aldridge, Gay and #11 for Wiggins, Looney and #2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. They can have Wiseman, a potential All-Star Caliber Player. His skillset is already at a stage, that can help them right away.
    No, it’s not. He’s played a grand total of 3 college games. He’s not ready, he’s two years away, or maybe 3.

The Warriors are also DROWNING, financially. Not all organizational decisions are made based on on the court issues. Their payroll, without #2, is $148M next season, and $158 the year after that. They are also in 3.5 territory, tax wise, meaning tha for every $1 over the tax they are, they pay $3.50 in luxury tax. I don think they’ve finalized the numbers for next year, but their bill will be significant, moreso the following season.

#2 presents its own problem to them. The salary for that spot is $9M for year one. Now, slap the tax on that for GS, and it becomes 9+(3.5X9)M, or, $40M for year one alone. Can you see why they don’t mind offloading #2?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it’s not. He’s played a grand total of 3 college games. He’s not ready, he’s two years away, or maybe 3.

The Warriors are also DROWNING, financially. Not all organizational decisions are made based on on the court issues. Their payroll, without #2, is $148M next season, and $158 the year after that. They are also in 3.5 territory, tax wise, meaning tha for every $1 over the tax they are, they pay $3.50 in luxury tax. I don think they’ve finalized the numbers for next year, but their bill will be significant, moreso the following season.

#2 presents its own problem to them. The salary for that spot is $9M for year one. Now, slap the tax on that for GS, and it becomes 9+(3.5X9)M, or, $40M for year one alone. Can you see why they don’t mind offloading #2?
    Exactly. And with Wiggins' salary being 30m, 31m and 33m in the next three years, don't think Spurs would give up Aldridge AND #11 for Wiggins +#2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep in mind: As much as Wiggins is an albatross, they actually need him until they can find a viable replacement on the wing.

It'd be similar for the Spurs. If they lose Aldridge and DeRozan, they need someone to inherit their role. He can't credibly do it, but by default he'd serve as the go-to scorer for a team trying to avoid bottoming out. In that sense, he'd represent some value to them and the Warriors would know this.

Anyway, it's not happening, but hypothetically speaking that's the only variation that could make sense.

You have a good point, which is why I think the deal doesn't happen without 11. They are banking on an upgrade at the front court AND getting either Vassel or Bey to fill the whole on the wing with a 3 and D prospect. Not ideal to put a rookie in the SL, but when you have Curry, Thompson, Green and LA there all you need is a young kid with the prototypical wing body who can play defense. It's actually pretty smart on their part. I think to make it all work you go:

To GS - LA & 11

To SA - Wiggins, 2, & Minny's 21 1st rounder

This really is win win for everyone.

GS gets a win now player who will immediately bolster their lineup for at least a year or two to compete with LA (the Clippers and rockets will both be looking for bigs this year to hold down AD so the importance of GS having one is more important than ever). They also get a pick that allows them to fill a need at the wing with a defensive rookie. And they can fill out the roster with ring chasing vets per usual.

The spurs should not be trying to win this year. The west is an arms race, the streak is broken, and we need to focus on rebuild. Enter Wiggins, a perennial under achiever on an albatross contact. Put him along the youngsters and let pop and chip work their magic. He's had steady improvement recently so the evidence points to continued improvement with good coaching. Best case he finally reaches his #1 overall potential; worst case he flounders a bit and we offload his contract at the and of the year. His contact will have one less year on it which will make him more appealing to other teams and it won't hurt us long term. We can trade DDR with this also to free up guard minutes for the young guys and get an asset or two for him while we're at it since Wiggins can step into the 3 spot. Pick up a few vets to fill in the frontcourt. Stick number 2 in Austin (not ideal, but let's be honest that's what pop will do anyway) and we end up with two 1st rounder next year with a better draft that we can use on two guys or to move up again.

Again, everyone wins here. But knowing how ridiculously stupid Minny is they'll probably end up sending KAT to GS to get their first rounder back 😂

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ that’s more of what I can see

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have a good point, which is why I think the deal doesn't happen without 11. They are banking on an upgrade at the front court AND getting either Vassel or Bey to fill the whole on the wing with a 3 and D prospect. Not ideal to put a rookie in the SL, but when you have Curry, Thompson, Green and LA there all you need is a young kid with the prototypical wing body who can play defense. It's actually pretty smart on their part. I think to make it all work you go:

To GS - LA & 11

To SA - Wiggins, 2, & Minny's 21 1st rounder

This really is win win for everyone.

GS gets a win now player who will immediately bolster their lineup for at least a year or two to compete with LA (the Clippers and rockets will both be looking for bigs this year to hold down AD so the importance of GS having one is more important than ever). They also get a pick that allows them to fill a need at the wing with a defensive rookie. And they can fill out the roster with ring chasing vets per usual.

The spurs should not be trying to win this year. The west is an arms race, the streak is broken, and we need to focus on rebuild. Enter Wiggins, a perennial under achiever on an albatross contact. Put him along the youngsters and let pop and chip work their magic. He's had steady improvement recently so the evidence points to continued improvement with good coaching. Best case he finally reaches his #1 overall potential; worst case he flounders a bit and we offload his contract at the and of the year. His contact will have one less year on it which will make him more appealing to other teams and it won't hurt us long term. We can trade DDR with this also to free up guard minutes for the young guys and get an asset or two for him while we're at it since Wiggins can step into the 3 spot. Pick up a few vets to fill in the frontcourt. Stick number 2 in Austin (not ideal, but let's be honest that's what pop will do anyway) and we end up with two 1st rounder next year with a better draft that we can use on two guys or to move up again.

Again, everyone wins here. But knowing how ridiculously stupid Minny is they'll probably end up sending KAT to GS to get their first rounder back 

I would be ok with this. Hopefully we could buy another pick in the first round. Doubt the Spurs would do this but I se good players in this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. And with Wiggins' salary being 30m, 31m and 33m in the next three years, don't think Spurs would give up Aldridge AND #11 for Wiggins +#2.
    I don't think Golden State would give up the number 2 pick without the Spurs taking on Wiggins getting the number 11 pick back in return.

I think the Spurs should still absolutely make that move, if they get an opportunity at the #2 pick they should take it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's clear that the Spurs need to focus on the future. While I think LMA is our best player for the first 3 1/2 quarters of games, he's not the long-term future of this franchise. He'd make a team like the GSW pretty unstoppable if he's ok not getting touches. Even though he likes that ball, on a championship team like the Warriors he'd be scary good, and I can't see him sulking if the Warriors are on top of the West and he's just getting 8-10 shots a night. IMO the Warriors would love to swap a Wiggins for an Aldridge, with #2 and #21 exchanged for #11 to sweeten the pot. They could easily add two more les with such an upgrade. Who wouldn't do that deal if you're GS? The Warriors walk away from that deal feeling, well, golden.

Wiseman would be a bit of a project so Spurs fans would have to be patient. He's a year or two behind DeAndre Ayton in Phoenix, and we're just now starting to see Ayton play well, two years in. I'd agree that you draft Wiseman knowing you won't start reaping the benefits of that pick until year 3.

But if any team could develop a big man, it's San Antonio. Imagine Tim and possibly even David working with him! An athletically gifted 5 with the right skills and at ude in that environment could be phenomenal once he matures.
    Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 11-07-2020 at 01:19 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one who wouldn't mind andrew wiggins? This coming season is shortened. Who cares. Deal with his contract for 1 season and in his contract year he shows his potential so he can get paid again, haha.
    Me neither, he is only 25 and still has lots of upside if he commits himself. But, even if he never reaches his ceiling, he is a very capable defender and shoots the three at a decent rate, so in that sense he is a better fit than DeMar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me neither, he is only 25 and still has lots of upside if he commits himself. But, even if he never reaches his ceiling, he is a very capable defender and shoots the three at a decent rate, so in that sense he is a better fit than DeMar.
    I don’t believe there’s a ton of upside left, but he wouldn’t be the first player who’s game the Spurs cleaned up and made more efficient. That process may catch some other team’s eye, and net an actual asset down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think our luka sucks...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although slight I think the league starting so quickly after the draft helps the spurs pursuit of the pick. GS pick and Wigins will not have much time to practice with the team. Also during the season I am hearing more b2b so less time to practice during the year. While LMA also would be under this reduced timeframe he has played in the league for awhile and should pick up the playbook better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He turns 26 early next year, at some point, players are kind of what they are. He's a better defender and shooter than DeMar but DeMar is a superior play maker and just a better offensive player in general.

I don’t believe there’s a ton of upside left, but he wouldn’t be the first player who’s game the Spurs cleaned up and made more efficient. That process may catch some other team’s eye, and net an actual asset down the road.
    The Spurs can clean up some of the issues that plagues his game but he probably won't be an asset, in regards to his play. I do think his contract could be pretty valuable during the final year though. Not many $33 million dollar expiring deals are actually are available via trade. The Spurs could offer him up to teams looking to unload a lot of salary in exchange for multiple picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's clear that the Spurs need to focus on the future. While I think LMA is our best player for the first 3 1/2 quarters of games, he's not the long-term future of this franchise. He'd make a team like the GSW pretty unstoppable if he's ok not getting touches. Even though he likes that ball, on a championship team like the Warriors he'd be scary good, and I can't see him sulking if the Warriors are on top of the West and he's just getting 8-10 shots a night. IMO the Warriors would love to swap a Wiggins for an Aldridge, with #2 and #21 exchanged for #11 to sweeten the pot. They could easily add two more les with such an upgrade. Who wouldn't do that deal if you're GS? The Warriors walk away from that deal feeling, well, golden.

Wiseman would be a bit of a project so Spurs fans would have to be patient. He's a year or two behind DeAndre Ayton in Phoenix, and we're just now starting to see Ayton play well, two years in. I'd agree that you draft Wiseman knowing you won't start reaping the benefits of that pick until year 3.

But if any team could develop a big man, it's San Antonio. Imagine Tim and possibly even David working with him! An athletically gifted 5 with the right skills and at ude in that environment could be phenomenal once he matures.
    Add to that Wiseman and Luka S would be in theory coming of age about the same time. Roll of the dice but could be very interesting if they develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have the Spurs worked out Wiseman?
    If this deal goes through, I don’t think he’s their guy.
    But, what a deal this would be, regardless of who the Spurs pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say pick deni if we trade up.. he’s the one I want

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have the Spurs worked out Wiseman?
    If this deal goes through, I don’t think he’s their guy.
    But, what a deal this would be, regardless of who the Spurs pick.
    No, they haven't worked him out, but if he is their target it would probably be best not to because of how teams have screwed them in the past by drafting their guy, largely to keep him away from the Spurs.
    Last edited by Thomas82; 11-07-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, they haven't worked him out, but if he is their target it would probably be best not to because of how teams have screwed them in the past by drafting their guy, largely to keep him away from the Spurs.
    That may have been true Big Three, but other teams don't give 2 s about the Spurs now. They just want to make their own team as good as possible.

Thread Information