Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If gsw doesn’t get rid of Wiggins they have no shot at Giannis there already over the luxury tax
    Trade

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who they gonna trade Giannis for .. ain’t happening

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge + White/Murray + #11 for #2 + Wiggins + MIN 2021 1st + TPE.

I think this would get it done. Although if GS think they have a shot at Beal or Giannis at the deadline they may not want to part with MIN 2021 and Wiggins.

Murray/White + #11 for #2 + TPE is cleaner and would still allow them to be players at the deadline.

More in line to the ATL insiders rumored price for the #2 pick
    -If that's who Golden State is really considering moving back for, then the Aldridge rumors seem to make more sense.

-Aldridge and Murray for , say, Wiggins, Looney, and #2 make some since. GSW adding in Minnesota's 2021 pick doesn't; they'd be trading the number 2 pick in this draft and probably a top 10 pick in a better draft.

Not sure if GSW would still do that deal with out the 11th pick, but if the Spurs do include Murray, that is the situation where I think that San Antonio insists on keeping it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I trade Murray if we also get Minnesota pick in 2021 but that should be a heavy price for two lotto picks

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d rather get a top 10 pick and say a one year rental so we will have tons of cap space in 21

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why I think they want to trade #2 for a young player + lottery pick.

The value of number #2 goes down once the player is selected. Because now your trading for the player and not the position in the draft. You are now limited to teams who like the player and assuming the teams have not already addressed the need for that player with their own pick or free agency. Also they won't have the luxury of upping the value of said player them being gunning for the championship next year. So moving down and getting a young asset who can contribute to their team and still getting a valuable prospect ensures the value is still there. They would still have an option for an opportunistic trade like Giannis . Beal or even Booker at the deadline while competing for the chip.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if we added poodle in s&t

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they’re trading for GA at the deadline it is for Draymond plus. No way those 2 would fit together in that line up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if we added poodle in s&t
    Can't, unless free agency starts before the draft.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think green crushed any value he may of had this year . Looked and horrible without curry and klay

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will dd opt in before draft

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All these scenarios are fun. But I don’t think the spurs want 2 firsts again. Keldon, LW, Murray, Luka, don’t like including white due to being older. I just don’t see adding 2 more firsts to them. Maybe something with atl for Collins if they don’t want to pay him. I like some to the ideas/rumors

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as Forbes and beli are gone and Lonnie and keldon get big minutes idc if we make a trade... I will lose it if Forbes starts again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If D White's and KJ's drafts were each granted a do over, both of them likely go top 10... so I don't see why you'd want to include either in a trade that involves taking another stab at drafting a top 10 guy, unless you're pretty certain it's a franchise player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He turns 26 early next year, at some point, players are kind of what they are. He's a better defender and shooter than DeMar but DeMar is a superior play maker and just a better offensive player in general.

Code:

Rk   Age  FG  FGA  FG%  2P  2PA  2P%  FT FTA  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
    1     24 7.2 16.8 .429 6.4 14.3 .451 6.2 7.5 .824 0.6 3.5 4.1 3.7 1.0 0.3 2.1 2.4 21.4
    2     24 8.5 18.9 .447 6.3 12.5 .506 3.7 5.2 .709 1.3 4.0 5.3 3.8 0.9 1.0 2.6 2.5 22.8
    Provided by Stathead.com: View Stathead Tool Used
    Generated 11/7/2020.

These are the STATS for each player at the age of 24 years old (I have removed 3% because Wiggins is better there) it is really hard to distinguish the two. Listen, I am not saying that Wiggins will become the playmaker and scorer that DeMar is, but rather than players do improve past 24 years old, they improve past 25, and so on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bolstering their championship aspirations or getting a bridge player?

They really can't have both. Firstly because of the financial implications.

Secondly, if Wiggins is such a lousy player, a negative asset, it would surely cost them something to get rid of him.

What do you suggest they do?

Dump Wiggins with a pick attached but keep the other one ( #2 or Minny '21 ) and go from there with the existing set of players.

As it stands they need to create a bench and get a starting calibre SF type of player. Lot to do.
    They can conceivably have both. That's the value of having a #2 pick (even in this draft) and a top 3 protected '21 pick that's likely to fall in the top 10.

Wiggins is all that, but unless they're getting a starting caliber wing back or an avenue to a projected plug and play one, they need him. He's their 4th best player by default, on a roster that has all of 5 proven NBA players and a bloated payroll.

I'd suggest not forcing it. If there's no sensible deal for an established player on the table, try to move down a spot or a few and pick up an additional asset.

To each their own man, you're more than en led to your opinion my friend.

I respectfully disagree. First off they are already looking to trade the #2 pick. If they really wanted a bridging player this is the pick to find it. If Minnesota does better this year and they come back to their previous form they run the risk of two picks that are both worse than what they have now. Perhaps they are comfortable thinking they can use them both to move up next year. But I just don't buy it. I think they aren't thinking 5 years from now. They still have Curry, Green and Thompson but at this point I wouldn't see them getting past the Lakers or the Clippers. They might even struggle against the rockets or jazz. Their window is getting close to closing but it hasn't closed yet. They aren't thinking rebuild but retool. Which is where all the smoke is coming from with the trading 2 rumors.

Maybe the spurs throw in 41? What do you think it takes to make the deal work?
    I wouldn't say looking to. More like, it's their preference, if they can acquire a star or at least high quality player who fits the timeline of their big 3.

As I've said ad nauseam, the only deal I could envision would be Aldridge and 11 for Wiggins and 2, but I still don't think they'd do it. Aldridge is just too old, on an expiring and coming off of shoulder surgery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think green crushed any value he may of had this year . Looked and horrible without curry and klay
    He’s 30, was revealed as a mediocre role player, and has a player option for 2023-2024 for $27.5M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Code:

Rk   Age  FG  FGA  FG%  2P  2PA  2P%  FT FTA  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
    1     24 7.2 16.8 .429 6.4 14.3 .451 6.2 7.5 .824 0.6 3.5 4.1 3.7 1.0 0.3 2.1 2.4 21.4
    2     24 8.5 18.9 .447 6.3 12.5 .506 3.7 5.2 .709 1.3 4.0 5.3 3.8 0.9 1.0 2.6 2.5 22.8
    Provided by Stathead.com: View Stathead Tool Used
    Generated 11/7/2020.

These are the STATS for each player at the age of 24 years old (I have removed 3% because Wiggins is better there) it is really hard to distinguish the two. Listen, I am not saying that Wiggins will become the playmaker and scorer that DeMar is, but rather than players do improve past 24 years old, they improve past 25, and so on.
    He has little work ethic. DD has good work ethic and a decent leader throughout his career. He put Raptors back on the market after Bosh left. People remember his failures but forget what he did for Toronto over the years. Wiggins won't ever be that good. He has empty stats, kinda like a Steve Francis but without the ego or drive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Golden State would give up the number 2 pick without the Spurs taking on Wiggins getting the number 11 pick back in return.

I think the Spurs should still absolutely make that move, if they get an opportunity at the #2 pick they should take it.
    No way Spurs should give up Aldridge and 11, we will help GS save 50mil and make them more well equipped to challenge for champion, whereas we are taking the risk that Wiseman is picked by the Wolves or he is not up to standard we will be forced to seriously overpay Poeltl as we will have no cap space to sign a starting big if Aldridge and Poeltl are both gone. If we keep 11 or get Wolves 21 pick at least I can accept it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can wait for 1st pick. After Edwards push the button.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has little work ethic. DD has good work ethic and a decent leader throughout his career. He put Raptors back on the market after Bosh left. People remember his failures but forget what he did for Toronto over the years. Wiggins won't ever be that good. He has empty stats, kinda like a Steve Francis but without the ego or drive.
    No, he didn't. So sick of this narrative from Spurs/casual fans. Lowry and the fluky Gay trade (for 4 role players, that provided long term salary relief and was supposed to kick off a re-build), which provided depth, were primarily responsible for their turnaround.

A funny thing happened though: they started winning to such an extent that shady Ujiri, who wanted to re-build since he returned, couldn't sell to their ownership/team/fanbase that they traded their beloved, pseudo star (the only one in their history who wanted to be a Raptor for life) was only worth something similar to the Gay package, so he begrudgingly kept him until he found a sucker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way Spurs should give up Aldridge and 11, we will help GS save 50mil and make them more well equipped to challenge for champion, whereas we are taking the risk that Wiseman is picked by the Wolves or he is not up to standard we will be forced to seriously overpay Poeltl as we will have no cap space to sign a starting big if Aldridge and Poeltl are both gone. If we keep 11 or get Wolves 21 pick at least I can accept it.
    You don’t understand draft trades at all, do you. There is a rule in place that you must make a first round pick at least every other year, you can only trade the actual pick that often. Dumb Cleveland owner named Stepien was trading his pick every year for 30 something coke head over the hill players, and the team was in the toilet for a long time. The Stepien rule. The way you work around it, in this case, is that GS picks the player for us, and we pick someone at 11 for them, and then you submit a trade to the league for the rights to the players selected. If Minny were to pick the player we want at #1, no deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

-How does that make any sense? Why should the Spurs care if Golden State gets future cap space if the Spurs get the #2 pick in the draft. That's the obvious tradeoff that would be required for the Spurs to get their highest pick in 23 years.

If the Spurs value a player enough to trade up and take on a bad contract, then it would see like they'd be pretty confident in a player like Wiseman. They generally don't miss on picks, if they to acquire that pick and were to hit on that pick then they could have their next star.

-Whether the Spurs trade up for Wiseman or not, they'd still have Poeltl restricted rights. They don't have to lose him for anything. Its not like the Spurs risk going into next season without a starting caliber center just by pursuing a trade.

-Also, Golden State holds the power in a potential trade because they have an asset that the Spurs seemingly want. If the Spurs want to make a deal, they likely aren't going to be able to keep #11. Also, no way Golden State gives up that Minny 2021 first round pick -- which is likely to fall in the top ten of a better draft.
    Last edited by cd021; 11-08-2020 at 12:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, in principle I agree with you, but if you read my original post I said "if he puts in the work" then the argument to that was, well some players are what they are and that DeMar is the better playmaker and overall the better offensive player, to which I replied that DeMar at the age of 24 was not the player that he is today.

Anyways, I never said that Wiggins will be as good as DeMar, what I am saying is that he has the potential if he commits himself, and even if he doesn't improve as much his defense and three point shooting make him a good fit with our team. Think about it, DJ, Derrick, and Wiggins have the potential to be the best defensive backcourt in the NBA.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don’t understand draft trades at all, do you. There is a rule in place that you must make a first round pick at least every other year, you can only trade the actual pick that often. Dumb Cleveland owner named Stepien was trading his pick every year for 30 something coke head over the hill players, and the team was in the toilet for a long time. The Stepien rule. The way you work around it, in this case, is that GS picks the player for us, and we pick someone at 11 for them, and then you submit a trade to the league for the rights to the players selected. If Minny were to pick the player we want at #1, no deal.

If the Spurs give GS their 11th then the it would not matter on GS making their pick as you correctly stated they only have to make a 1st rd pick every other year it does not have to be their pick. Since GS made a pick last year I dont know why this is coming up. We could still trade for thier pick this year since I think GS has their pick for next year and Min pick as well. We would not be able to trade for Min pick this year (unless giving a pick back) till after they draft because of this rule since they have traded away their pick next year and I dont think they have another one.

Thread Information