Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty impressive advanced stats for Duncan from a career perspective.

Regular Season:
    - #13 in PER
    - #2 in Drating behind Gar Heard
    - #2 in DWS behind Russell
    - #6 in WS
    - #12 in WS/48
    - #13 in boxscore +/-
    - #6 in defensive BSPM
    - #7 in VORP

Playoffs:
    - Ranked #2 in WS behind Jordan. Note that Lebron James is already #4 on the list, which is insane
    - #2 in DWS behind Russell
    - #8 in OWS
    - #8 in WS/48
    - #7 in PER
    - #14 in D-Rating

While these are not hard rankings of a player, advance stats do provide a directionally correct way of evaluating a player. Duncan is pretty much top 20 in all of these metrics, with the exception of OWS in the regular season.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    impressive.

Anyone who says he's not a top 5 all time player is insane IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    impressive.

Anyone who says he's not a top 5 all time player is insane IMO.
    lol Kobe

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    What about him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a lock for the hall of fame, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a lock for the hall of fame, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People putting him top 5 (or even top 10 is very suspect)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Note that Lebron James is already #4 on the list, which is insane
    But WS is not a ulative stat, right? So it could just as easily go up or down in the remainder of his career? I just wondered why you emphasized "already."

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    People putting him top 5 (or even top 10 is very suspect)
    Top 5 arguments certainly can be made, even though I may not agree fully with them. Anything less than top 10 is stupid.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    But WS is not a ulative stat, right? So it could just as easily go up or down in the remainder of his career? I just wondered why you emphasized "already."
    Incorrect. WS/48 is not ulative. WS is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 5 arguments certainly can be made, even though I may not agree fully with them. Anything less than top 10 is stupid.
    It's not unreasonable to place him 11-15.

Edit: Ah, thanks for the clarification on WS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is a ulative stat, it will only go up from this point on.

WS/48, on the other hand, could go up or down. I believe Lebron is tops or top 2 in that category.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no argument that has Kobe in the top 5. None.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough to make him top 5.

Jordan
    Magic
    Bird
    Duncan
    Kareem
    Hakeem
    Shaq
    Moses
    Lebron

are all modern players who are undoubtedly better than Kobe.

Then older timers such as Wilt and Russell who are also definitely better.

This puts Kobe at #12.

Arguments could be made for Thomas, Dr. J and West, which puts Kobe at the 12 to 15 range, and that is him with the benefit of playing on some of the most loaded teams of their years.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy the GAWD.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    There is no argument that has Kobe in the top 5. None.
    Monster stats combined with 5 rings against some tough compe ion are a pretty good starting point tbh.

Tough to make him top 5.

Jordan
    Magic
    Bird

Duncan
    Kareem
    Hakeem
    Shaq
    Moses
    Lebron

are all modern players who are undoubtedly better than Kobe.
    All of the bolded can have arguments to be bumped behind him for various, good reasons.

Then older timers such as Wilt and Russell who are also definitely better.

This puts Kobe at #12.

Arguments could be made for Thomas, Dr. J and West, which puts Kobe at the 12 to 15 range, and that is him with the benefit of playing on some of the most loaded teams of their years.
    none of those have truly legit arguments above Kobe, especially Russell, Dr J, West, and Isiah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At some point we're going to have to split the shares. The term "modern" being applied to people who played 35 years go but not 45 years ago is cherry picking, unless NBA rules are being considered. At some point we're going to need a middle category between early NBA and "modern".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Monster stats combined with 5 rings against some tough compe ion are a pretty good starting point tbh.
    Other than scoring, I won't say any of his stats were monstrous. And even then, they came in an inefficient manner.

Kobe's advanced stats were great, just not top 10 all time material, let alone top 5.

And of the 5 rings, three were won as a clear side kick to Shaq during the tough compe ion period. The other two were won in a very weak era of basketball, during a transition period when talent was essentially consolidated to two teams (The Lakers and the Celtics).

All of the bolded can have arguments to be bumped behind him for various, good reasons.
    I can't see arguments over Magic, even most Kobestans rank Magic as the best Laker of all time.

Bird, Shaq, Hakeem, Lebron and Moses all had way higher peaks than Kobe ever did, where they combined their individual dominance and led their teams to success. Kobe puts up his best stats on losing team that had mediocre support (not horrible, but definitely not championship winning).

Individual awards-wise, all the those players were more accomplished than Kobe.

Stats-wise, all those players exceed Kobe. Same with Advanced Stats.

none of those have truly legit arguments above Kobe, especially Russell, Dr J, West, and Isiah.
    Russell is getting severely underrated. Yes, he didn't score a lot, but he was one of earliest great passing big men in the game. His outlet passes were phenomenal. His defense was one of the best of all time, and the Celtics built a dynasty based on those two skills.

Dr. J had his prime with the ABA. He had great advanced stats, was an underrated rebounder and defender. People remember Dr. J as that old creak supporting Moses to a championship, and they forgot his early days with Philly leading a talented but flawed team deep into the playoffs.

West was one of the greatest ever, and it's sad that his game is not appreciated today. he had great range, passes extremely well, and was one of the first superstars who can man the PG and SG positions He puts up similar stats as Kobe, had way better advanced stats, led his team deep into the playoffs only to be stopped by a Celtics Dynasty that had 8 HoFers. Yes, he's an old-timer, but he was great.

Oh, and I forgot the Big O, the guy put up monsters in the early stages of the league. he is the Wilt and Russell camp, so Kobe is top #13, at best if you could the old timers, and #10 if you don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At some point we're going to have to split the shares. The term "modern" being applied to people who played 35 years go but not 45 years ago is cherry picking, unless NBA rules are being considered. At some point we're going to need a middle category between early NBA and "modern".
    I personally define it as pre/post ABA

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This gook really has no life outside ST

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dat avi

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Other than scoring, I won't say any of his stats were monstrous. And even then, they came in an inefficient manner.

Kobe's advanced stats were great, just not top 10 all time material, let alone top 5.

And of the 5 rings, three were won as a clear side kick to Shaq during the tough compe ion period. The other two were won in a very weak era of basketball, during a transition period when talent was essentially consolidated to two teams (The Lakers and the Celtics).
    So why doesn't Jordan's rings get discounted since he won in a weak era? Why not Russell's? How does Dr. J get ranked ahead when most of his career was played in a weak ABA?

picking and choosing simply because you personally don't like Kobe.

I can't see arguments over Magic, even most Kobestans rank Magic as the best Laker of all time.
    I don't know many Kobestans at all who rank Magic ahead of Kobe, considering 99% of them rank Kobe ahead of MJ.

Bird, Shaq, Hakeem, Lebron and Moses all had way higher peaks than Kobe ever did, where they combined their individual dominance and led their teams to success. Kobe puts up his best stats on losing team that had mediocre support (not horrible, but definitely not championship winning).
    not horrible. That's just laughable when you look at his squads from about 04-07.

Individual awards-wise, all the those players were more accomplished than Kobe.
    True... then again, individual awards-wise, Nash has more MVPs than Shaq and Dirk, but I certainly wouldn't say he's greater than either of those by any means.

Stats-wise, all those players exceed Kobe. Same with Advanced Stats.
    lol picking and choosing again

Russell is getting severely underrated. Yes, he didn't score a lot, but he was one of earliest great passing big men in the game. His outlet passes were phenomenal. His defense was one of the best of all time, and the Celtics built a dynasty based on those two skills.
    No one said anything about scoring being a knock on him. Just that he wouldn't have won all those les leading a team in any era since the 80's. He would have been lucky to get more than 2-3. He dominated in some of the worst eras of basketball where basically 75% of the good talent in the league ended up all stacked on his team in a league with 8 teams. yeah real impressive

Dr. J had his prime with the ABA. He had great advanced stats, was an underrated rebounder and defender. People remember Dr. J as that old creak supporting Moses to a championship, and they forgot his early days with Philly leading a talented but flawed team deep into the playoffs.
    Good player who dominated among weak compe ion, never really proved he was truly top 10 all-time material against elite compe ion. Very good, but you're overrating him.

West was one of the greatest ever, and it's sad that his game is not appreciated today. he had great range, passes extremely well, and was one of the first superstars who can man the PG and SG positions He puts up similar stats as Kobe, had way better advanced stats, led his team deep into the playoffs only to be stopped by a Celtics Dynasty that had 8 HoFers. Yes, he's an old-timer, but he was great.
    Again, very good player against weak compe ion in weak eras of basketball, and as you put it, the one good team that he ran up against, he couldn't do anything against them. Good guy to watch and learn basics of basketball from, but does he put up such monster numbers in more compe ive eras? Highly doubtful.

Oh, and I forgot the Big O, the guy put up monsters in the early stages of the league. he is the Wilt and Russell camp, so Kobe is top #13, at best if you could the old timers, and #10 if you don't.
    Early stages, AGAIN being the key word.

These guys are all great, transcendent players of the NBA, and the game wouldn't be what it is without them, no question about it. But it doesn't mean that they are superior to modern talent either. To illustrate, it would be like ranking how good light bulbs are, and saying that the original light bulbs that Edison invented are superior to the highly efficient LED bulbs of today, when they in no way are. Granted, we wouldn't have these fantastic LED bulbs if Edison hadn't gotten things started with his bulb, but that doesn't make it superior to modern bulbs. It's called progression and innovation, and it's not limited to technology, it very much applies to skills and talents as well, such as basketball.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This whole Kobe debate thing is tiring, but I'm glad some of the finer points in this thread we're not made by a Laker fan, props to Phillip.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm not some huge Kobe fan, and I think he gets terribly overrated by some. But he's not as bad as many here make him out to be.

I really don't know why I even bother arguing with ambchang considering he is about as illogical of a Kobe hater as it gets. Then again, at least he can somewhat bring a decent (although heavily flawed) argument to the table, unlike other morons such as Cry Havoc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying Kobe gets terribly overrated by some. Argues Kobe is top 5 ever.

Thread Information