Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    https://jezebel.com/stories-about-my-brother-1835651181

“The way that he died is something that I struggle with,” I told Prasad. “I wouldn’t have been having this conversation with you, or working on this essay, if he had died in a plane crash, or a freak accident.” Undertaking such an invasive cosmeticsurgery, and adding risk on top of risk by pursuing it in isolation in a foreign country, “isn’t just something that someone does, or something that happens randomly, and that needs to be interrogated,” I said.

There are, of course, myriad reasons why someone would undergo such an extensive procedure, and many of these reasons come from a healthy place. But as Prasad explained, the source is key: Did this come from an internal place that says, “This is who I am”? Or did this come from a sense of not being good enough–of believing that his self-worth was based on what he accomplished, how tall he was, and what he looked like?
    While the decisions he made were his own, I believe that Yush felt that society’s narrow confines of what it means to be a man—especially a brown man in America—offered him little choice. I see the pain of a sensitive boy who suc bed to the impossible, unforgiving demands of an unhealthy relationship tomasculinity; fostered by a patriarchal Indian-American household; and exacerbated within a male-dominated, libertarian tech industry where the success of certain men was treated as self-evident proof of their superiority.
    Yush’s observations about power, masculinity, and his standing in the world were not incorrect. Research has shown that tall people are richer and more successful, and Western culture has a long history of trying to emasculate Asian-American men (East Asian men in particular) that can be traced to the 1800s, when Chinese men emigrating to the United States during the gold rush were viewed by whites as an economic and racial threat. Anti-miscegenation laws, formed in the 1660s to bar marriages between white people and black slaves and codify white racial purity, quickly expanded in the early 1900s to include the small but growing population of Asian-Americans in an effort to preserve whiteness. These laws remained on the books even after segregation ended, until 1967, the same year my Dadaji brought his wife and three children to Canada. Such laws are now relics of the past, but the stereotypes they codified persist. In American movies and television, Indian men have historically been portrayed as nerdy and unable to attract women, like Raj in the Big Bang Theory,or as thickly-accented human punchlines, like Apu on the Simpsons. On dating site OkCupid, among men, Asians have the fewest responses—a statistic that Yush often cited, before he created an algorithm to attempt to improve his odds on the dating site.
    While Yush and I saw some of the same problems in society, our responses were opposite: I have found a community of people who reject stereotypical gender iden ies, roles, and behaviors, whereas I think Yush internalized these messages, deepening insecurities that burrowed even further due to unmanaged depression. As a boy and then a man, he was discouraged from connecting with his feelings and saw that to express vulnerability is to be feminine and weak. Rather than blaming a greater system of patriarchy and white supremacy for these double standards, under which we all suffer, he blamed feminists like me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    5'8 1/2" and 140 isn't that pe e

but yeah, this seems unnecessarily risky when you can just wear boots

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    This story seems like a stretch

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    3/10

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    As a Dad, I approve of this pun. It was a little short, but executed wonderfully.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes

he went from 5'7 to 6ft

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    he went from 5'7 to 6ft
    Now you're just pulling my leg

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    he went from 5'7 to 6ft
    Sad stuff, tbh. He probably wanted too much of a boost and lowered the chance of success. Dude should have just done 5'10 and call it a day.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Sad stuff, tbh. He probably wanted too much of a boost and lowered the chance of success. Dude should have just done 5'10 and call it a day.
    just wear 4 inch boots and be 5'11"... willingly breaking your bones to get taller? that's re ed. reminds me of that Netflix movie "Tall Girl" where pretty much she looked at the inverse of that and the girls posting on that forum were talking about how painful and scary it was and how they had to fly to a sketchy shack in India to do it for a halfway reasonable price

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    5'8 1/2" and 140 isn't that pe e

but yeah, this seems unnecessarily risky when you can just wear boots
    Borderline spinner

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    just wear 4 inch boots and be 5'11"... willingly breaking your bones to get taller? that's re ed. reminds me of that Netflix movie "Tall Girl" where pretty much she looked at the inverse of that and the girls posting on that forum were talking about how painful and scary it was and how they had to fly to a sketchy shack in India to do it for a halfway reasonable price
    Quit quoting me, Andy. Quit changing your height too, 5'6

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Quit quoting me, Andy. Quit changing your height too, 5'6
    who said I was 5'6"? haven't been that since 14

some other guy on here said I was 5'2"... can't remember who though

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    you can fit in an airplane seat quite comfortably and hide in closets.
    That would be sweet.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Short-sighted thinking.

He still would've had a 5'7" sized , and the proportions would have made it look worse.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Blake's wife's pussy gets stretched by the homies.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks