Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a question, but

cant wait for the inevitable "yeah but did you see lonnie in those 53 seconds? he didnt fight through enough screens. NON COMPE IVE"
    That's disgusting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has Dejounte closed a game tbh? Outside of him playing that last defensive possession against the Wizards, I can't remember him playing in the last 2-3 minutes of any other game. Could be wrong but if not, seems weird tbh.
    these crucial minutes aren't for dejounte

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can answer some of these...

It's been 7 games, why hasn't Pop challenged a single call yet this season? Will he challenge one all season?
    J_Paco: He won five rings. He'll call a challenge whenever he wants and it will be the best damn challenge the league has ever seen. Thank god you armchair coaches can't challenge calls.

Why has Demarre Carroll played a total of 11 minutes over 7 games when the Spurs gave him 3 years/21 million this summer?
    DPG21920: Because it wouldn't be fair to Marco, who is an NBA champion, and Carroll is new. We all know Pop likes to bring them slowly, like when he nailed the Golden God to the bench for a season, but in the end it all worked out. I'm also really tall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has always seen himself as being a great motivator pushing the right buttons for the right people. This year he seems to have completely the opposite effect and may lose most of the players by seasons end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can answer some of these...

J_Paco: He won five rings. He'll call a challenge whenever he wants and it will be the best damn challenge the league has ever seen. Thank god you armchair coaches can't challenge calls.

DPG21920: Because it wouldn't be fair to Marco, who is an NBA champion, and Carroll is new. We all know Pop likes to bring them slowly, like when he nailed the Golden God to the bench for a season, but in the end it all worked out. I'm also really tall.

My man Deeps has been anti-Sniff so far this year, to his credit watching Big Balls Beli out there will do that to most people tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My man Deeps has been anti-Sniff so far this year, to his credit watching Big Balls Beli out there will do that to most people tbh.
    That's true... plus DPG is my guy, he'll recognize the humor quickly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp - Some questions:

1) Why was Demarre Caroll signed? They seem to view him as a PF only so why waste money on him if they had Gay and were looking at Morris and eventually Lyles? If they don't think he's exclusively a 4, why hasn't he gotten any of Beli's minutes since going 2 for 2 from deep against Boston?

2) Do you really think that the reason White and Murray haven't played together is that White is on a minutes restriction as well (like the Sniffers have said)? It's weird that they haven't announced that if so. Do you think there's a chance Pop doesn't go with that lineup until they are either out of the playoff race or a half away from being eliminated?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is disappointing effort at times. The rotations seem ed.

Not sure how this shakes out but if something doesn't get the course corrected soon, I might even start saying it's time to move on from DeRozan first, then even LMA.

The lack of effort just seems to be there at times and its evident on the defensive end. This team is a s of its former self, and I thought this year with Murray and White up front, we would see a lot of improvement.

Something has to change. And soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp - Some questions:

1) Why was Demarre Caroll signed? They seem to view him as a PF only so why waste money on him if they had Gay and were looking at Morris and eventually Lyles? If they don't think he's exclusively a 4, why hasn't he gotten any of Beli's minutes since going 2 for 2 from deep against Boston?

2) Do you really think that the reason White and Murray haven't played together is that White is on a minutes restriction as well (like the Sniffers have said)? It's weird that they haven't announced that if so. Do you think there's a chance Pop doesn't go with that lineup until they are either out of the playoff race or a half away from being eliminated?
    On question #2, Pop himself said in a postgame interview I saw that it would make them a better team if they could play together but he can't now due to the restrictions on Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate the way Mills just constantly fires up 3s but he has actually been more of a positive player this year than maybe even Murray. I hate DeMar being given the ball at the crunch time. I hate Murray being left about 7 feet and him not shooting the ball from the perimeter. I hate the out of control transition offense. I hate Carroll not playing. I hate Lonnie not getting some minutes if for no other reason than his athleticism. We are routinely getting out hustled by younger more athletic teams

I am getting ing furious, the. And I am a bit of a sniffer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On question #2, Pop himself said in a postgame interview I saw that it would make them a better team if they could play together but he can't now due to the restrictions on Murray.
    I'm not referring to Murray's minutes restriction. I'm talking about why White hasn't cracked 30 minutes yet this season. If White is getting 30+ minutes a game then Murray's restriction is irrelevant in the "Why aren't they playing together?" question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Carroll was signed because it was obvious last year that the Spurs needed a 3/4 with defensive chops. Cunningham might have looked the part but it became quickly obvious that he wasn't up to the task.

So what has happened so far this year? Good question. The way it looks to me:

-Losing out on Morris changed the equation quite a bit. Morris gives you a bulk three-point shooter, so Belinelli could be traded/waived or whatever the Spurs were about to do with him until the Morris situation fell apart. Losing a bulk three-point shooter is a big deal on this roster and Belinelli being a bulk three-point shooter is the reason why he's playing.

-Belinelli goes from gone to backup SF, which cuts off one avenue for Carroll to get minutes. We can all argue whether Belinelli is worthy of minutes (I'd be happy if he was waived tomorrow, FWIW) but it's clear that the Spurs need shooting. They really, really need shooting. Belinelli, in theory, provides that in bulk.

-No way the Spurs signed Lyles thinking he'd be an everyday starter on Day 1. That's been a surprise to everyone. Many here thought he wasn't even worth picking up for a minimum contract. But Lyles picked up things fast, was the best fit at a position of need and is currently soaking up minutes and cutting off another avenue for Carroll to get minutes.

-It's still really early. Gay is going to miss his ~20 games. Belinelli is on the edge of getting benched a la Cunningham last year. I'm still confident that Carroll is going to have a role before too much longer. And, really, he's such a plug-and-play ready player that he'll only need a game or two to defrost.

-Spurs fans haven't updated their operating system in a while, tbh. Carroll's $7 million might sound like a lot of money but it really isn't. $7 million in today's cap would have been $1.9 million in the 1999 cap or even $3.7 million in the 2014 cap. No one would be melting down about wasted money if Gerard King wasn't playing in 1999 or Matt Bonner wasn't playing in 2014. Carroll is being paid 1/15th of the cap so it's not the big deal it sounds like when you first hear the $7,000,000 figure. That's chump change today, tbh.

In training camp, Pop did mention something about making sure the guys who played in the World Cup got enough rest. He let White and Mills sit a few days during training camp.

But, yeah, he didn't announce that White is on a minutes restriction so it's tough to use that as an excuse and I haven't used that as an excuse for Pop. On one hand, it makes sense that he could be forcing himself to rest them by only allowing one to play at a time. Can't really overplay either one when it's not possible for them to combine to play more than 48 minutes and Murray is being held to 22-25 minutes (*point to head*). On the other hand, Pop could just be making repeated bad decisions. I can't tell so far.

But soon enough, once Murray's minutes restriction is relaxed, we'll get a much better idea. If Murray is playing 30 MPG and White is playing 18 MPG, Pop would need an intervention, tbh.

Do I think there's a chance Pop will wait too long to go with it? Yeah, there's that chance. I was floored when we didn't see Murray-White in the preseason so I'm not putting anything past Pop right now. Tbh, the number one thing I was looking forward to this season was watching Murray and White play defense against opposing guards. The fact that we've seen, what, like two and a half minutes of it all season hurts and will still hurt until it eventually happens -- whether it's next week, next month or when the chips are down in the first round with the Spurs facing elimination in Game 5 on the road

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I reckon before Murray is off his time restrictions we won't know how much he and White are going to play together. We are getting murdered on defense and something has to give, but it's more about not defending the basket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Carroll was signed because it was obvious last year that the Spurs needed a 3/4 with defensive chops. Cunningham might have looked the part but it became quickly obvious that he wasn't up to the task.

So what has happened so far this year? Good question. The way it looks to me:

-Losing out on Morris changed the equation quite a bit. Morris gives you a bulk three-point shooter, so Belinelli could be traded/waived or whatever the Spurs were about to do with him until the Morris situation fell apart. Losing a bulk three-point shooter is a big deal on this roster and Belinelli being a bulk three-point shooter is the reason why he's playing.

-Belinelli goes from gone to backup SF, which cuts off one avenue for Carroll to get minutes. We can all argue whether Belinelli is worthy of minutes (I'd be happy if he was waived tomorrow, FWIW) but it's clear that the Spurs need shooting. They really, really need shooting. Belinelli, in theory, provides that in bulk.

-No way the Spurs signed Lyles thinking he'd be an everyday starter on Day 1. That's been a surprise to everyone. Many here thought he wasn't even worth picking up for a minimum contract. But Lyles picked up things fast, was the best fit at a position of need and is currently soaking up minutes and cutting off another avenue for Carroll to get minutes.

-It's still really early. Gay is going to miss his ~20 games. Belinelli is on the edge of getting benched a la Cunningham last year. I'm still confident that Carroll is going to have a role before too much longer. And, really, he's such a plug-and-play ready player that he'll only need a game or two to defrost.

-Spurs fans haven't updated their operating system in a while, tbh. Carroll's $7 million might sound like a lot of money but it really isn't. $7 million in today's cap would have been $1.9 million in the 1999 cap or even $3.7 million in the 2014 cap. No one would be melting down about wasted money if Gerard King wasn't playing in 1999 or Matt Bonner wasn't playing in 2014. Carroll is being paid 1/15th of the cap so it's not the big deal it sounds like when you first hear the $7,000,000 figure. That's chump change today, tbh.

In training camp, Pop did mention something about making sure the guys who played in the World Cup got enough rest. He let White and Mills sit a few days during training camp.

But, yeah, he didn't announce that White is on a minutes restriction so it's tough to use that as an excuse and I haven't used that as an excuse for Pop. On one hand, it makes sense that he could be forcing himself to rest them by only allowing one to play at a time. Can't really overplay either one when it's not possible for them to combine to play more than 48 minutes and Murray is being held to 22-25 minutes (*point to head*). On the other hand, Pop could just be making repeated bad decisions. I can't tell so far.

But soon enough, once Murray's minutes restriction is relaxed, we'll get a much better idea. If Murray is playing 30 MPG and White is playing 18 MPG, Pop would need an intervention, tbh.

Do I think there's a chance Pop will wait too long to go with it? Yeah, there's that chance. I was floored when we didn't see Murray-White in the preseason so I'm not putting anything past Pop right now. Tbh, the number one thing I was looking forward to this season was watching Murray and White play defense against opposing guards. The fact that we've seen, what, like two and a half minutes of it all season hurts and will still hurt until it eventually happens -- whether it's next week, next month or when the chips are down in the first round with the Spurs facing elimination in Game 5 on the road
    Thank you. Good points all around and god I hope you're wrong about a chance White/Murray don't play sig minutes together.
    -A satisfied Edgelord.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People need to transition their anger from Pop to Morris tbh. That mfer screwed us over. If Morris keeps his word then we trade Belli and BAM no more "why is Pop playing Belli questions." Also Morris came out and said one of the reasons why he chose the Knicks was bc it was New York vs San Antonio and he (and everybody else) would rather live in NYC. This ed up the front office psychologically I think and is the reason why we guaranteed LMA's final year and why we were trying so hard to reach an extension with DDR. Say what you want about our culture and our success, players not wanting to live in SA is a thing (J-Kidd from 03 and Morris today) and PATFO still have the little brother mindset when it comes to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh oh, Pop challenged a call. Spurs to win 10 straight with their "engaged" coach . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh oh, Pop challenged a call. Spurs to win 10 straight with their "engaged" coach . . .
    Take that Edgelords!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple question - has this team quit on Pop already?

Sure looks like it tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Take that Edgelords!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does Pop preach defense and then goes and plays Patty Mills, Marco Belinelli and other bad defenders heavy minutes? Even sometimes making them guard the best offensive player on the other team?
    Beli, Patty & Forbes line up in the 4th? timvp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take that Edgelords!

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Beli, Patty & Forbes line up in the 4th? timvp
    because the theoretical space these "shooters" provide is more important than the atrocious defense they actually provide

Thread Information