Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems Kyle has turned a corner this season and now-- at age 27-- has become an assertive NBA starter who adds definite value to his team.

Look at his past FGA per 36, from ages 21-26: 8.9, 8.5, 7.4, 8.0, 7.8, 9.0. This season: 12.6 FGA per 36.

His previous 3ptFGA per 36: 1.1, 1.1, 1.4, 1.0, 1.0, 2.3. This season: 5.0 3ptFGA per 36.

FTA per 36 previously: 1.4, 2.4, 2.0, 2.7, 1.8, 2.1. This season: 3.4 FTA per 36.

He's also having his best assist, rebound, and block numbers ever per 36 this year.

After next season, he's a free agent. Would a 29 year old KA be interesting to the Spurs?

https://www.basketball-reference.com...anderky01.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In before Kyle’s #1 fan girl...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Per 36" stats make me barf

Very few, if any, players play 36 minutes these days

If you're playing Kyle 36 minutes, there's something wrong with your team

No practical use for "per 36" unless you're trying to project something on a young player. Kyle is not young.

They should make it per 30 instead, since that's what most NBA players average nowadays (starters).

...don't even get me started on "per 48".
    Last edited by Dejounte; 04-26-2021 at 09:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No practical use for "per 36" unless you're trying to project something on a young player. Kyle is not young.

They should make it per 30 instead, since that's what most NBA players average nowadays (starters).

I agree-- they don't show what a player will necessarily do if he plays more minutes, but it's a very helpful stat when comparing the production of a single player's different seasons. It doesn't make sense to compare the stats of a season where a player is playing 18 mpg to a season where he's logging 28 mpg. There's nothing wrong with the stat. it's the misuse of the stat that's the problem.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 04-26-2021 at 09:52 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

True about per 36, however, OP's point still stands.

Kyle's 3PAr, FTAr and USG% have gone up significantly while maintaining eFG% and TS% around his career best. For the first time in his career he's not a negative on offense, in fact he's quite decent, while continuing being a positive on defense too. He's having a damn good year, literally all of his advanced stats are up.

There's been a significant change in the way he's being used though. Perhaps due to the injury to JJJ he's playing way more as a 4 and even as a small ball center, instead of as a 3. It'll be interesting to see how he'll adjust when JJJ is back.
    Last edited by BG_Spurs_Fan; 04-26-2021 at 09:55 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte: You say you're not anti-stats, but then you purposefully ignore the entire point of the post to rant about a stat you don't like, even though it's being used correctly in this instance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would take him over Lyles. I assume that the Grizzlies are playing him at the 4 bc there's no way he would play the 3 here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree-- they don't show what a player will necessarily do if he plays more minutes, but it's a very helpful stat when comparing the production of a single player's different seasons. It doesn't make sense to compare the stats of a season where a player is playing 18 mpg to a season where he's logging 28 mpg. There's nothing wrong with the stat. it's the misuse of the stat that's the problem.
    That's fair, and I wish the minutes were adjustable instead of "36" or "48" being universal is my point. If you could use per 28 for Kyle instead, for example, it gives a better insight on how much improved he is.

True about per 36, however, OP's point still stands.

Kyle's 3PAr, FTAr and USG% have gone up significantly while maintaining eFG% and TS% around his career best. For the first time in his career he's not a negative on offense, in fact he's quite decent, while continuing being a positive on defense too. He's having a damn good year, literally all of his advanced stats are up.

There's been a significant change in the way he's being used though. Perhaps due to the injury to JJJ he's playing way more as a 4 and even as a small ball center, instead of as a 3. It'll be interesting to see how he'll adjust when JJJ is back.
    I have no issue with Kyle being improved.

Dejounte: You say you're not anti-stats, but then you purposefully ignore the entire point of the post to rant about a stat you don't like, even though it's being used correctly in this instance.
    Not this again. Feel free to think however you like about me being anti-stats.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always liked Kyle Anderson , entertaining kind of slow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No practical use for "per 36" unless you're trying to project something on a young player.
    Sorry, but that's not accurate. I've literally seen people say a certain player's scoring (or rebounding, or assists) have "improved" three years in a row, when they've actually gone down per 36. If a player gets a 50% increase in minutes and only has a 15% increase in that stat, it shows something. If you look at something like Julius Randle's assist numbers, you see that his MPG numbers are up and his APG numbers are up, but his assists per 36 are also up, showing he's more focused on passing now than he was in the past. His assists aren't simply higher because he's playing more minutes.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 04-26-2021 at 10:28 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s been putting in work on my fantasy team all season. Not All-Star kind of stats or anything, but consistent across the board

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, basically this is the situation in which per-36 minutes are most applicable, since it shows his improvement isn't based on him getting more minutes. I think the exact go-to that many people would've used had this thread used counting stats was that Anderson was filling up on a team with injury issues.

Plus, per-minute stats are fine. They're not the end all be all, but they are better than, say, per-possession stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, but that's not accurate. I've literally seen people say a certain player's scoring (or rebounding, or assists) have "improved" three years in a row, when they've actually gone down per 36. If a player gets a 50% increase in minutes and only has a 15% increase in that stat, it shows something. If you look at something like Julius Randle's assist numbers, you see that his MPG numbers are up and his APG numbers are up, but his assists per 36 are also up, showing he's more focused on passing now than he was in the past. His assists aren't simply higher because he's playing more minutes.
    I was stating what it's commonly used for. Tankathon.com, for example, uses per 36 on its home page for prospects by default. I always switch it to their actual per game stat every time. Again, I'm arguing the merits of the use of "36" and "48", NOT the method of stretching stats to compare and measure against with low playing time vs actual playing time. Comparing a young player's production against a per 36 stat to measure efficiency (when they're reaching new levels every year) is pointless to me since all young players do NOT have the same trend line for improvement every year. For example, if you use Julius' per 36 from third year to his fifth, it's not an "improvement" but obviously if you compare it to this year, it is. So it makes no sense to say a player hasn't improved on an "actual" basis based off per 36 when players like Randle can show that timelines are unique to each player. So yes, I say that that "certain player" has actually improved because with more minutes he's produced, where more often than not, players do not produce with more playing time.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 04-26-2021 at 12:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really happy for him, he shows all people here who were mocking him that he’s a legit NBA player.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, basically this is the situation in which per-36 minutes are most applicable, since it shows his improvement isn't based on him getting more minutes. I think the exact go-to that many people would've used had this thread used counting stats was that Anderson was filling up on a team with injury issues.

Plus, per-minute stats are fine. They're not the end all be all, but they are better than, say, per-possession stats.
    What's your problem with per-possession stats? They're more useful for comparisons than per-minute since they effectively adjust for pace. What if Kyle's production per 36 had increased because the team started playing a lot faster?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I've seen of KA, he's basically the same player that he was for the Spurs but less hesitant to shoot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I've seen of KA, he's basically the same player that he was for the Spurs but less hesitant to shoot.
    Well yes, but that was the major problem with his game. I would be fine with getting Kyle back if he's willing to shoot. If he's willing to shoot the 3, he'd actually be a great fit at the 4 spot (Demar's spot) - defends well (& smart about fitting the system), surprising rebounder, excellent passer and secondary ball handler. If he's willing to shoot the 3 (this year he's shooting roughly 3 times as many as Demar) at 34.3%...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for fat head

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has finally turned into the player I thought he could be. He suffered from a shoulder injury that had progressively gotten worse to the point he needed surgery and rehab two seasons ago. As he had never gotten to shoot well enough up to that point I remember thinking “well, that’s probably it for him/his shot.” Took him a long time to rehab from that injury and predictably, he didn’t have a good shooting season upon his return. I saw an interview he gave last season where he said he wasn’t 100% ready to play and it showed on his shot (not good). This season, he’s finally healthy and more aggressive with his shot.

I know there’s some fans here that never liked him, but it is what it is. He’s the kind of player you either like or hate. He’s so crafty and smart, plus unusual, very interesting player.

Anyways, I am really happy to see him playing well for the Grizzlies. They have a fun team to watch and he’s helped them out a lot this season with Jaren Jackson missing so much of it (and only just coming back).

As for the question about going after him, it depends on what kind of team the Spurs are fielding. With an improved shot I think he’d fit in right now and could be starting for the current Spurs ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Kyle could be a great supporting cast member on a team like the Lakers or even the Clips. If he could be a "glue" guy out there with a couple of superstars, I think we'd see him excel. I still don't see him as a 2nd or 3rd option for any team, and the Spurs are a ways off from having a couple of super stars. I'm one of those folks, though, who's never been super enthralled with his game. So, my long answer to your question would be "no".

And my short answer would also be "no", just without all those extra words in front of it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So a totally different player then ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always liked Kyle but then, I get biased and excited about any of the players we draft.

This conversation provoked a thought though that if we were to trade (Lonnie, White, DJ or another young guy), there will eventually be a thread about what a great player the dumb asses in the front office let go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always liked Kyle but then, I get biased and excited about any of the players we draft.

This conversation provoked a thought though that if we were to trade (Lonnie, White, DJ or another young guy), there will eventually be a thread about what a great player the dumb asses in the front office let go.
    Ah happy that Fathead is breaking out, but Lonnie, White and DJ have all showed tons more upside then Kyle did at similar Spurs stage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Kyle Anderson has been really good this season. His scoring rate has gone up 50% this year out of the blue after seemingly plateauing for a half decade. Rebounding and assists also up. He has always been a net-negative player plus-minus-wise since joining the Grizzlies but the eye-test says he's a whole lot better this year. Teams can no longer leave him.

He has finally turned into the player I thought he could be. He suffered from a shoulder injury that had progressively gotten worse to the point he needed surgery and rehab two seasons ago.
    Yeah, this is a key point. He had thoracic outlet decompression surgery, which is rare for a basketball player (it's somewhat common in baseball) and suggest he was having range of motion issues. And since he has recovered from his injury, his shooting motion no longer has the same drastic hitch. There's still a hitch but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Same exact thing happened with Markelle Fultz. He developed a terrible hitch in his shot and had the same surgery that KA had. And, now, Fultz still has a little bit of a hitch but not nearly as bad as it was at its worst.

So, yeah, KA could have been dealing with that shoulder issue for years. In theory, his shooting could continue to improve as he gets further away from that surgery date. That said, his shooting splits don't align with that thought. He was shooting 38% on threes before the All-Star break. After the break, he's below 31% even though he's shooting threes less frequently.

Still, cool to see such an improvement from KA at age 27 and this post-hitch version of him is someone who I wouldn't mind at all on the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems Kyle has turned a corner this season and now-- at age 27-- has become an assertive NBA starter who adds definite value to his team.

Look at his past FGA per 36, from ages 21-26: 8.9, 8.5, 7.4, 8.0, 7.8, 9.0. This season: 12.6 FGA per 36.

His previous 3ptFGA per 36: 1.1, 1.1, 1.4, 1.0, 1.0, 2.3. This season: 5.0 3ptFGA per 36.

FTA per 36 previously: 1.4, 2.4, 2.0, 2.7, 1.8, 2.1. This season: 3.4 FTA per 36.

He's also having his best assist, rebound, and block numbers ever per 36 this year.

After next season, he's a free agent. Would a 29 year old KA be interesting to the Spurs?

https://www.basketball-reference.com...anderky01.html
    Nice post OP, and how anyone can say these stats with the sample size are....

meaningless is just

I will ask, did the Grizzleys start playing a much more uptempo game compared to previous Fathead seasons? Ja Morant.

Thread Information