1. Los Angeles Lakers
    2. Denver Nuggets
    3. Portland Trail Blazers
    4. San Antonio Spurs
    5. Houston Rockets
    6. New Orleans Hornets
    7. Dallas Mavericks
    8. Utah Jazz

This would work out so beautifully for the Spurs. First of all, F the Rockets. The Spurs never did get revenge for 1995 and with Rocket Fan excited about finally getting out of the first round, it'd be a nice way to keep Houston irrelevant. Oh and we could draw the line in the sand and figure out who exactly the Spurs fans are and which fans couldn't help themselves in rooting for Scola and the Rockets against the Manu-less Spurs.

And if the Spurs are going to beat the Lakers, I think their chances are much better in the second round. The Spurs wouldn't be as beat up as they would be in the WCF, Bynum wouldn't be as acclimated and the pressure would all be on the Lakers to win the series. The Lakers would be seen as the team to beat while San Antonio would be looked upon as some gimpy team that advanced just because Houston sucks. It'd obviously be a long shot but getting the Lakers in the second round at least gives the Spurs hope.

The other side of the bracket would be a bloodbath. It's entirely possible for Dallas or New Orleans to come out of that side of the bracket. And that Lakers vs. Jazz first round series wouldn't be a cakewalk for the Lakers.

Hopefully this happens.

Great Length
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    lol, GO SPURS GO!!!!!! Lakers are goin down, Bynum not acclimated, looooong series with the JAZZ!!! OH NO!!! Spurs are going to win the le!!! Team of the decade!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol, GO SPURS GO!!!!!! Lakers are goin down, Bynum not acclimated, looooong series with the JAZZ!!! OH NO!!! Spurs are going to win the le!!! Team of the decade!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's be the best odds, especiallt with L.A coming off a bruising series with the jazz.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think the Spurs matchup better with the Rockets than New Orleans?

Sure, David West kills us every time but unless Yao Ming's foot injury is more serious than initially thought it seemed like even when we play poorly we can beat NO. Houston seems to be a tougher matchup since they defend well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I'm convinced. My hope all along has been that Portland meet LA before we get the chance to, since I think they actually match up the best with the Lakers - but this setup looks just as good (and much more likely).

And I'd love to see a Spurs-Rockets series for exactly the "drawing the line" reason you said.

(also, woo first post. No stranger to Spurs forums, but new here to SpursTalk - hoping for, ahem, a better experience than the last Spurs forum I was a part of)

Great Length
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Well, I'm convinced. My hope all along has been that Portland meet LA before we get the chance to, since I think they actually match up the best with the Lakers - but this setup looks just as good (and much more likely).

And I'd love to see a Spurs-Rockets series for exactly the "drawing the line" reason you said.

(also, woo first post. No stranger to Spurs forums, but new here to SpursTalk - hoping for, ahem, a better experience than the last Spurs forum I was a part of)
    The Lakers will without a doubt lose to Portland if they meet in the playoffs. The Spurs will be on their way to the championship once this happens.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I wish spurs a sweep against the rockets, but I think the rockets will be able to win one game or two in that series, they will chock again whichever team they plays, the spurs will just make their grief shorter instead of torturing them by a 40pts win in game 7.

even without the homecourt advantage, our boys in blue still will have a bigger chance over nuggest to win that series. nuggests are still ranking among the top 3 but that's partially because of their division and the storage of wins that they collected at the begining of the season. our boys in blue have been playing great in the last games of this season, so I expect our boys in blue will continue their awesome performances to the playoffs and fly straightly to the WCF.

The Lakers are gonna get through the Jazz to the second round but that won't be an easy survive, hopefully the Lakers get one or two of their central players injuried in Utah and appear in the second round with a broken squad.

I don't care too much about the matchup between Portland Trail Blazers and the New Orleans Hornets, whichever of them makes the second round will definitely be wiped out by our boys in blue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think the Spurs matchup better with the Rockets than New Orleans?
    I think so. The Spurs have multiple players to throw at Yao and Artest, plus their advantage at point guard would be huge. Trading away Rafer Alston would come back to haunt Houston because they traded away a player who plays Parker well. Aaron Brooks? Not so much.

A series against the Rockets would come down to one thing -- Tim Duncan. The Rockets have historically thrown fewer double-teams at Duncan than any team in the league. Their strategy against the Spurs is to stick on the shooters, trap Parker and try to make Duncan win the game by himself. If Duncan is healthy enough to carry the load, the Spurs should win.

It's a risky match-up because if Duncan is hobbled, there's no way the Spurs would beat the Rockets. But might as well find out early in the playoffs if Duncan will be able to be Tim Duncan

Worst case scenario is Duncan is too injured to beat that strategy and the Spurs go on an early vacation. Against a team like the Hornets who give up three-pointers by the dozens, the Spurs could beat them even if Duncan is hobbled as long as they shoot straight. But that type of fool's gold series victory would just lead to the Spurs getting bounced in the next round anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Against a team like the Hornets who give up three-pointers by the dozens, the Spurs could beat them even if Duncan is hobbled as long as they shoot straight. But that type of fool's gold series victory would just lead to the Spurs getting bounced in the next round anyways.
    Well said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as we avoid the hornets ...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Los Angeles Lakers
    2. Denver Nuggets
    3. Portland Trail Blazers
    4. San Antonio Spurs
    5. Houston Rockets
    6. New Orleans Hornets
    7. Dallas Mavericks
    8. Utah Jazz

This would work out so beautifully for the Spurs. First of all, F the Rockets. The Spurs never did get revenge for 1995 and with Rocket Fan excited about finally getting out of the first round, it'd be a nice way to keep Houston irrelevant. Oh and we could draw the line in the sand and figure out who exactly the Spurs fans are and which fans couldn't help themselves in rooting for Scola and the Rockets against the Manu-less Spurs.

And if the Spurs are going to beat the Lakers, I think their chances are much better in the second round. The Spurs wouldn't be as beat up as they would be in the WCF, Bynum wouldn't be as acclimated and the pressure would all be on the Lakers to win the series. The Lakers would be seen as the team to beat while San Antonio would be looked upon as some gimpy team that advanced just because Houston sucks. It'd obviously be a long shot but getting the Lakers in the second round at least gives the Spurs hope.

The other side of the bracket would be a bloodbath. It's entirely possible for Dallas or New Orleans to come out of that side of the bracket. And that Lakers vs. Jazz first round series wouldn't be a cakewalk for the Lakers.

Hopefully this happens.

I like your take.

I hope that the Lakers wouldn't sweep us in the second round and that would be a real possibility, imo.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will beat everyone. MUAHAHA!!

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I wish spurs a sweep against the rockets, but I think the rockets will be able to win one game or two in that series, they will chock again whichever team they plays, the spurs will just make their grief shorter instead of torturing them by a 40pts win in game 7.

even without the homecourt advantage, our boys in blue still will have a bigger chance over nuggest to win that series. nuggests are still ranking among the top 3 but that's partially because of their division and the storage of wins that they collected at the begining of the season. our boys in blue have been playing great in the last games of this season, so I expect our boys in blue will continue their awesome performances to the playoffs and fly straightly to the WCF.

The Lakers are gonna get through the Jazz to the second round but that won't be an easy survive, hopefully the Lakers get one or two of their central players injuried in Utah and appear in the second round with a broken squad.

I don't care too much about the matchup between Portland Trail Blazers and the New Orleans Hornets, whichever of them makes the second round will definitely be wiped out by our boys in blue.

Keep dreamin kid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted the 3rd seed to not see the Lakers soon but I agree with timvp.

If we have any chance to beat the Lakers it'll be in the 2nd round.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your trying your best to find a way for the Spurs but when you have to think of this type of stuff, seedings and when to play teams to have a better chance to beat certain teams to advance then the reality is that the spurs are not good enough to win.

They have to be playing good enough to beat any team in any round and if you really don't believe they can then they are not good enough to win this year.

Great Length
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I like your take.

I hope that the Lakers wouldn't sweep us in the second round and that would be a real possibility, imo.

The Spurs would not get swept by the Lakers. It would go at least six or seven games. The Lakers are severely overrated. Tony Parker would destroy the Lakers defense, and the Spurs are great at the Lakers weakness, three point shooting. The Lakers can't defend the three, the Spurs can shot the three very well. If TD is at even 70% that series will be a very good one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny that Denver, Houston, and Portland are seeds #2, 3, and 4 right now.....the Spurs, Hornets, and Jazz in the bottom half of the 8 playoff teams are clearly 3 of the top 4 teams in the WC. The entire seedings in the West are currently a fluke.

True seedings:

1. Lakers
    2. Spurs
    3. Jazz
    4. Hornets
    5. Nuggets
    6. Mavericks
    7. Rockets
    8. Blazers

Great Length
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It's funny that Denver, Houston, and Portland are seeds #2, 3, and 4 right now.....the Spurs, Hornets, and Jazz in the bottom half of the 8 playoff teams are clearly 3 of the top 4 teams in the WC. The entire seedings in the West are currently a fluke.

True seedings:

1. Lakers
    2. Spurs
    3. Jazz
    4. Hornets
    5. Nuggets
    6. Mavericks
    7. Rockets
    8. Blazers
    I totally agree with you. If the Spurs, Hornets and Jazz had stayed as healthy as the Blazers, Nuggets and Rockets they would have been the 2, 3 and 4 seeds.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

True seedings:

1. Lakers
    2. Spurs
    3. Jazz
    4. Hornets
    5. Nuggets
    6. Mavericks
    7. Rockets
    8. Blazers
    Jazz stink. The Hornets and Blazers are better and even a healthy rockets team is better.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally agree with you. If the Spurs, Hornets and Jazz had stayed as healthy as the Blazers, Nuggets and Rockets they would have been the 2, 3 and 4 seeds.

Rockets lost McGrady

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long the Jazz are 8th seed, then I would prefer the 4th seed with HCA.

Thread Information