Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s contract year for both so that means LMA will finely come into camp in shape and will want to shoot the ball more.

Derozz is always in shape but he will want the ball in his hands more and also take more shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I was asking. There is a huge difference in how this team moves forward if they are going to keep DDR and LMA as the centerpieces, of if they are going to try to build a new, young core.

Starting several years ago, the Spurs' FO opted for a "win now" strategy, and then didn't follow through with what they really needed to do to win now. If they commit their lottery pick(s) to drafting players to complement DDR and LMA, at this stage in their careers it will be exactly what you say - a goal of making the playoffs. Maybe second round exits. Sadly, I think you're probably right about what they will do.
    If we go this route then I'd rather trade the #11 for an established player. That lineup might make the playoffs but they aren't doing anything when they get there. That's not an interesting outcome as far as I'm concerned.
    I don't think it's an either/or thing. They aren't likely to make picks on boom-or-bust guys like Poke and maybe Precious is they want to win with LMA and DMDR. But guys who are solid or elite role-players are literally always valuable, both to their teams and on the trade market. You need stars to win in the NBA, but there are more than one way to get there. With the new rules, bottoming how doesn't have the same value it used to, and fielding a compe ive team with guys on good contracts is a viable way to attract stars. Develop a guy, sign a second and trade for a third. That's the best path to rebuilding. Miami did not tank to get where they are today, and before you or someone else says, "But that's because players want to go to South Beach," nothing about developing Bam and trading for Butler required them to be a big market. Sure, it was an S&T, but two smaller-market teams had just traded for Jimmy the two years before. Toronto is another example, both from Leonard/Siakam and Lowry/DeRozan before that.

In the years since the last le, the two seasons I've enjoyed watching the most are 2014-2015 and 2017-2018. The first one is because that was probably Danny Green's most exciting year as a Spur, and I picked him in the last round of my fantasy pool before he went on to put up second-round value. The second is because I really enjoyed watching the short-handed Spurs win games on grit and strategy even as their injuries sapped all of their talent advantage. It was exciting to see the Murray/Green/Anderson perimeter trio, Pau showing off terrific passing, Bertans lighting it up from three, good Rudy Gay and eventually what would be the last of the Big Three going down guns ablazing. They were not a contender without Leonard, but they were a fun team to watch. They fought hard in a very difficult situation and damned near kept the 50-wins streak alive when they had no business doing so. I think the only reason more people might not agree with me is because of all the Kawhi drama going on around that time. That was really ty, but on the court was fun, basically a whole season of the bubble performance.

I would totally enjoy seeing the Spurs fight and scrap against the odds for a playoff spot through a mix of vets turning good performances and young players stepping up. I'd be less of a fan of the Forbes and Beli fests we've seen the last two years. But I'm down for White/Walker-Johnson/DeRozan/Smith-Bey/Aldridge and Mills/Murray/Johnson-Walker/Gay/Poeltl off the bench. That sounds like a fun transitional season, so long as Pop doesn't get in his own way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's an either/or thing. They aren't likely to make picks on boom-or-bust guys like Poke and maybe Precious is they want to win with LMA and DMDR. But guys who are solid or elite role-players are literally always valuable, both to their teams and on the trade market. You need stars to win in the NBA, but there are more than one way to get there. With the new rules, bottoming how doesn't have the same value it used to, and fielding a compe ive team with guys on good contracts is a viable way to attract stars. Develop a guy, sign a second and trade for a third. That's the best path to rebuilding. Miami did not tank to get where they are today, and before you or someone else says, "But that's because players want to go to South Beach," nothing about developing Bam and trading for Butler required them to be a big market. Sure, it was an S&T, but two smaller-market teams had just traded for Jimmy the two years before. Toronto is another example, both from Leonard/Siakam and Lowry/DeRozan before that.

In the years since the last le, the two seasons I've enjoyed watching the most are 2014-2015 and 2017-2018. The first one is because that was probably Danny Green's most exciting year as a Spur, and I picked him in the last round of my fantasy pool before he went on to put up second-round value. The second is because I really enjoyed watching the short-handed Spurs win games on grit and strategy even as their injuries sapped all of their talent advantage. It was exciting to see the Murray/Green/Anderson perimeter trio, Pau showing off terrific passing, Bertans lighting it up from three, good Rudy Gay and eventually what would be the last of the Big Three going down guns ablazing. They were not a contender without Leonard, but they were a fun team to watch. They fought hard in a very difficult situation and damned near kept the 50-wins streak alive when they had no business doing so. I think the only reason more people might not agree with me is because of all the Kawhi drama going on around that time. That was really ty, but on the court was fun, basically a whole season of the bubble performance.

I would totally enjoy seeing the Spurs fight and scrap against the odds for a playoff spot through a mix of vets turning good performances and young players stepping up. I'd be less of a fan of the Forbes and Beli fests we've seen the last two years. But I'm down for White/Walker-Johnson/DeRozan/Smith-Bey/Aldridge and Mills/Murray/Johnson-Walker/Gay/Poeltl off the bench. That sounds like a fun transitional season, so long as Pop doesn't get in his own way.
    I don't disagree with that line of thinking at all. I'd prefer to be compe ive as well, I just don't think running back lma and ddr and adding #11 does that. I see that lineup missing the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree with that line of thinking at all. I'd prefer to be compe ive as well, I just don't think running back lma and ddr and adding #11 does that. I see that lineup missing the playoffs.
    They might. But it'd still be worth watching, and when it comes down to it, it's all supposed to be for the entertainment anyway.

But yes, I'd rather the Spurs move DeRozan, draft Toppin and still find a way to get another first to use on a guard like Kira Lewis. That would be more reminiscent of 17/18 and also clearly be moving toward the future.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They might. But it'd still be worth watching, and when it comes down to it, it's all supposed to be for the entertainment anyway.

But yes, I'd rather the Spurs move DeRozan, draft Toppin and still find a way to get another first to use on a guard like Kira Lewis. That would be more reminiscent of 17/18 and also clearly be moving toward the future.

And maybe that's the difference. I'm always thinking about the path to the next LOB. Always. If the Spurs are at least a threat to challenge the WCF, I'll be entertained. For a big chunk of the Duncan era, they were known as the most boring team in the league, and I was entertained. If they're fighting to get to the post season, and maybe to the second round? I'll watch, but I'll always be dissatisfied.

For me, the only thing worse than middle of the road is to be bad without a clean plan for using lottery picks to build a contender (like the Knicks). And if the Spurs absolutely HAVE to have a mediocre record, I'd rather watch a bunch of fiery young over-achievers.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

I miss Manu. Add 2018 Manu to the 2020 team and i guarantee they make the playoffs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saddiq Bey would be a safe, if slightly uninspiring pick. He'll probably be a solid rotation piece, or even perhaps a starter as a smart, 3-D larger wing. The Spurs could certainly do worse, but I still prefer Patrick Williams, whose floor is lower but has a higher ceiling. At 11, I'd like to see more potential for growth. However, if the Spurs found a way to get back to the late lottery, I wouldn't mind Bey at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that was a championship team. I was so excited to see the Aldridge/Gay/Nephew line up and we never got to witness it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm definitely in favor of something like that...move one of our main vets and keep the other another season...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had to dig 5 pages back for this thread

Saddiq is my 2nd least favorite prospect after Devin Vassell

Now I know how DPG21920 felt when there was a report stating Spurs had interest in Deni

HOPEFULLY JUST SMOKESCREEN HEHE

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Must mean they are trading up!!

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there any combine type numbers on him? He looks spectacularly unathletic, which is my main concern about him.

If you could combine the best of him and the other Bey, he’d be a top 3 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Must mean they are trading up!!

They can't all go in the Top 10. If he's picked ahead of 11, someone else will get pushed down.

It's funny how many people here insisted that Saddiq Bey wouldn't be worth drafting, but how many NBA teams obviously think he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't all go in the Top 10. If he's picked ahead of 11, someone else will get pushed down.

It's funny how many people here insisted that Saddiq Bey wouldn't be worth drafting, but how many NBA teams obviously think he is.
    I’m meh on him. I was just joking because every workout apparently means Spurs are trading up in our minds

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is who I have wanted us to get at 11 since the beginning. If we get him and trade LMA for #2 and get Wisman I would be happy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nesmith >>>>>>> Bey

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bey may not have a floor or a ceiling. Could actually be a risky pick in that you might get very little production from him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have him in my top 10 best available, could be the next Glen Rice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bey may not have a floor or a ceiling. Could actually be a risky pick in that you might get very little production from him.

He could tear his ACL in his very first practice, and never be the same again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could tear his ACL in his very first practice, and never be the same again.
    That would be unfortunate as he already has the mobility of someone with a prior ACL injury. I think he has value, but not at 11.

Thread Information