Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever they said about him, he is playing great defense by eye test.
    http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/...-antonio-spurs

.in only 16 games Boban is one of only 7 Spurs to have defended at least 10 possessions versus the "roll man" which is a much higher frequency than the others while his .73 ppp is better than 81% of the league while the 30% eFG trails only Kawhi's 29.2% on the Spurs for players having defended at least 10 possessions. When it comes to defending the ball handler on the P&R, he is the only one of the 15 Spurs that has yet to register having defended at least one possession. While what has mostly been said about him could mean that he is so slow recovering that he can't get within the distance required to qualify as having defended it, my guess would be that there is not a ball handler that has felt safe taking a shot against him.
    His stats defending against postups is similarly excellent. The .67 ppp is better than 82.5% of the league, and the .30 eFG is the lowest for any of the Spurs bigs on defense. Defending versus "Isolation" plays has me wondering if the high frequency is due to players trying to attack him or that he just covers enough ground to get to more, though the 14.3% eFG against him suggests the latter.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what K... thinks about this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what K... thinks about this.
    I like both players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bobannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn rules

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say he might be, but idk. I could see a boburnout happening over time. He can't stay like this forever and making every shot.

Theres gotta be a reason he isn't playing as much as tiago was his first year.
    There was more of a need for Tiago and worse bigs ahead of him in the rotation?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya I mean..

Tiago was our 2nd/3rd big last year.

He would be our 6th big this year.

Upgrade.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya I mean..

Tiago was our 2nd/3rd big last year.

He would be our 6th big this year.

Upgrade.
    If Tiago is healthy he would be our 4th big.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If tiago was healthy. ing oxymoron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Tiago, but his inability to stay healthy really hurt the Spurs, especially last year. We couldn't build momentum at any point, Tim played too many minutes, and we were weakened for the post season. A lot of that had to do with Tiago's recurring injuries. Getting him to ATL was a good move considering what we replaced him with..."with" being LMA and West.

That being said, Boban doesn't have a long enough history with the Spurs to say he's better than Tiago. At least he hasn't hurt us I suppose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boban is much bigger, 4 inches in height and near a foot in arm length, than Tiago. He is the best rim defender not named Duncan since possibly Robinson just by virtue of putting those ginormous wings in the air. The compe ion is like Elson, Nazr, Rasho, Bonner, Baynes and company so I'm not sure that is hyperbole.

Boban can bend his hips and knees and slide his feel remarkably well for a man his size. I don't want him chasing Curry out on the perimeter but he can hedge better than he gets credit even if he is not as fleet as Tiago. He has a good sense of how much air space he takes up and spaces himself well. John Wall getting isoed on him and passing it off after sizing Boban up was meaningful to me.

We have Lamarcus Aldridge, West, and Bobo to hedge on pnr up top and play small ball 5. If you want to play big boy basketball then a mobile giant is a good thing to have.

I think he's at least as athletic as fatboy Gasol and with his jumper and passing skills his ceiling is similar. He is savvy enough to run offense through him from the high and low post.

I have enjoyed watching him get used to the rules with how the ball comes off the rim. He is still tentative and overaggressive at times but it looks like he will zero in eventually. His picks are still a work in progress but that is sure to come. He doesn't look lost like Baynes did this early and it's more an issue of angles of approach and timing.

He's a damn fine C prospect in the weakest big man era since Mikan ran the court.

Thread Information