Keldon Johnson

School: Kentucky
    Position: SG/SF
    Height: 6-foot-6
    Weight: 216.4
    Wingspan: 6-foot-9.25
    Draft Range: 15 to 30
    Combine Results? Yes

Why: Plays hard, plays smart, doesn't make many mistakes. A solid to good athlete in all facets with good length and a frame that could add more muscle. Was unusually dedicated for a freshman to playing stingy D. Gave good effort on the boards and in transition defense. With work and added strength, could defend 1s, 2s and 3s down the line. On offense, has a quick enough first step and enough explosion to finish at the rim. Shot the three well: 38.1% on 6.2 attempts per 100 possessions.

Why Not: Nothing about him stands out as extraordinary. While he has a high floor due to his complete game, his ceiling isn't especially exciting. Not a playmaker or ball-handler; will need others to set him up. Soft in the paint as a freshman. Tried hard on defense but rarely made things happen and it's questionable whether he has the quickness to ever be notably above average on that end. Shooting-wise, both his two-point percentage (49.8%) and free throw percentage (70.3%) were underwhelming.

Spurs Fit: Needs a year in Austin to work on his perimeter skills on offense and his fundamentals on defense. His most natural position is probably at two but the Spurs could try to bulk him up into a three.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: 2006 Michael Finley

Spurs Comparison - Floor: 2004 Devin Brown

College Stats
    Highlight Video
    Tankathon Profile
    NBADraft.net Profile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy kind of hits the sweet spot -- upside potential but may also be sliding out of the lottery.

Looks like a 3&D guy but with much more potential offensive versatility and effectiveness.

I hope the Spurs strongly consider him at 19 (if he's somehow there).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We really dont need another guard. Lonnie and DJ have longer wingspans than this guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also there’s a clip of this guy flirting with some model during a game, Pop don’t play that lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smaller than DeRozan. Nope. We need a real 3 with size

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the guy, but yeah, he's just a bit small for the 3 position. As a matter of fact, saw his name mentioned on a mock draft for the Spurs to pick him at 19. Already have LW4 though. I agree, we need a true 3 to fill the void. Unsure if there's anyone that the Spurs can pickup at 19 that's available to either start or come off the bench at the 3. Gonna be intriguing to see who the Spurs will pick though. Hmmm... would be nice to have a thread for the posters to put in their Spurs 2019 draft predictions, if one hasn't been posted yet! GSG!!!

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm starting to wonder if there is anyone in the NBA who isn't lying about their height. Most all of the SF's in the draft are less than an inch taller than Johnson. (He's 6'4.75" without shoes.) I looked back several years, and it's pretty much the same - I just never looked at it from that angle before. Guys that are 6'8" are mostly PF's in college.

I'm not saying Johnson is the guy, but he's pretty big-bodied. He's got a reasonably long wingspan, and standing reach. Maybe that's the best the Spurs can hope for, as far as physical attributes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm starting to wonder if there is anyone in the NBA who isn't lying about their height. Most all of the SF's in the draft are less than an inch taller than Johnson. (He's 6'4.75" without shoes.) I looked back several years, and it's pretty much the same - I just never looked at it from that angle before. Guys that are 6'8" are mostly PF's in college.

I'm not saying Johnson is the guy, but he's pretty big-bodied. He's got a reasonably long wingspan, and standing reach. Maybe that's the best the Spurs can hope for, as far as physical attributes.
    Guys play up a position in college a lot. There usually aren't that many good tall bigs in the NCAA, which is how a guy as small as Clarke can play the five and not look out of place. , Danny Green started his UNC career as a four, I think. Guys like Washington, Hachimura and Cam Johnson are going to get chances to play the three in the pros. At the same time, the NBA is also way smaller than a lot of posters here seem to realize. There isn't a need to "upgrade" from DeRozan there. He's sized just fine to play the modern three. Those 6-8, 6-9 guys who played the four in college will likely be able to play there in the pros too. You can argue that the best "true SF" in the game is Kawhi, and he got checked by a PG up and down the court. You just don't need to play that tall anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys play up a position in college a lot. There usually aren't that many good tall bigs in the NCAA, which is how a guy as small as Clarke can play the five and not look out of place. , Danny Green started his UNC career as a four, I think. Guys like Washington, Hachimura and Cam Johnson are going to get chances to play the three in the pros. At the same time, the NBA is also way smaller than a lot of posters here seem to realize. There isn't a need to "upgrade" from DeRozan there. He's sized just fine to play the modern three. Those 6-8, 6-9 guys who played the four in college will likely be able to play there in the pros too. You can argue that the best "true SF" in the game is Kawhi, and he got checked by a PG up and down the court. You just don't need to play that tall anymore.

That was my point. They're all listing their w/shoes height, or even a little more, even in the NBA. I had to go dig for it, but Michael Finley was only an inch taller than Keldon Johnson (both without shoes). And Finley played when the league was bigger overall.

It would be nice to find a guy 6'8" without shoes, who is as agile as an NBA 2 guard, and has the skills to go with it, but it's not going to happen. A guy like Johnson who is 6'6" with shoes, and has a better than average wingspan and standing reach is probably the physical profile to expect. He carries 217 lbs. easily, and looks like he has room to put on a little more. Finley was only 204 coming out of college, and played at 215 most of his NBA career.

I'm not comparing his game to Finley - just saying that you can't write him off based on size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was my point. They're all listing their w/shoes height, or even a little more, even in the NBA. I had to go dig for it, but Michael Finley was only an inch taller than Keldon Johnson (both without shoes). And Finley played when the league was bigger overall.

It would be nice to find a guy 6'8" without shoes, who is as agile as an NBA 2 guard, and has the skills to go with it, but it's not going to happen. A guy like Johnson who is 6'6" with shoes, and has a better than average wingspan and standing reach is probably the physical profile to expect. He carries 217 lbs. easily, and looks like he has room to put on a little more. Finley was only 204 coming out of college, and played at 215 most of his NBA career.

I'm not comparing his game to Finley - just saying that you can't write him off based on size.
    I think we're coming down on opposite sides here. The team needs a 6-8, 6-9 guy. They just don't need that guy to play the three. They don't have a need for a three. They need a four who can go up against James, Durant, Giannis, Simmons, Zion etc. Sure, if a 6-6 guy projects to be a star, you take him and just figure out how to make it work. But getting that guy fills no need. Some are obsessed with the idea that DeRozan is playing out of position, but he's not.

Also, I don't think most NBA players lie about their height. Yes, they use in-shoes measurements, but that's transparent. But I read something a few years ago saying the average height of NBA SFs was just under 6-6. So the 6-8 guys have been the exceptions for a long time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We suffered last year because our SF was DeRozan and he isnt tall or long enough to guard other tall forwards on defense. Our defense sucked because we dont have length on D. DeRozan shouldnt continue to be the starter at SF. And with Poetl now the clear starter at C, look for the Spurs to move Forbes down to the bench and find a tall/longer starter with DeRozan/Murray/Aldridge. Could be Gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. I guess we are. On this team, if the guy is in at the same time as Durant or Giannis, LMA is likely going to be the 4. Position-less screws with a lot of discussions.

If they're expected to defend those guys then, yeah, 6'8' is pretty important. The problem is that so many of the legit 6'8" college players have been playing around the basket, and don't have much of a perimeter game on either end. And the single biggest sticking point on most of the guys we talk about is 3P shooting.

So you're talking about picking a college kid who has made his way around the rim and sending him out to the perimeter to defend Durant? And hope he can learn to shoot the 3? Meh...that may be what the Spurs have to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep thinking this is the guy if he's there at 19.

A recent article:

San Antonio Spurs 2019 NBA Draft Prospects: Keldon Johnson
    by Ethan Farina 4 hours ago Follow @EthanMarcel

The San Antonio Spurs could look to add another attacking guard by selecting Keldon Johnson from the University of Kentucky in the 2019 NBA Draft. Johnson is an athletic attacker with a smooth stroke and would fit right in with the rest of San Antonio’s up-and-coming backcourt.

With Dejounte Murray, Lonnie Walker IV and DeMar DeRozan already on the roster, the San Antonio Spurs are blessed with a group of attacking playmakers. But you don’t win championships by being satisfied and San Antonio could look to add to their collection of athletic young guards by selecting Keldon Johnson in 2019 NBA Draft.

The University of Kentucky always sends off a group of talented freshmen to be taken in the first round and this year is no different. However out of the Wildcat prospects turning pro this year, it is Johnson who is the most intriguing and has the greatest potential.

Johnson is an athletic slasher who is quick to get out in transition and shows no fear attacking the rim. He averaged right around five free throw attempts per 36 minutes during his freshman season at Kentucky. In the NBA that would put him near respected scoring guards like Donovan Mitc and De’Aaron Fox.

Another area of Johnson’s offensive game that has caught the attention of NBA scouts is his outside shooting ability. He shot 38 percent from deep on three attempts per game while with the Wildcats. 38 percent isn’t a mind-blowing figure by any means, but it’s very respectable. What’s equally important is how Johnson was making his shots.

His form is very smooth with a high release. As he continues to get stronger and potentially work with Spurs shooting coach Chip Engelland, it’s very easy to see him connecting on close to forty percent of his shots while also extending his range far past the NBA three-point line.

Defensively, Johnson isn’t a lock down stopper like Washington’s Matisse Thybulle, but he won’t have to hide on the opposing team’s worst offensive option either. Standing 6’6, sporting a 6’9 wingspan and weighing in at a solid 216 pounds, Johnson will have the size and strength to guard small forwards and the speed to stay with guards. Contributing 2.0 defensive win shares per game gives credibility to the effort he puts in on defense as well.

He was consistently engaged on the defensive end throughout his freshmen season. His own father was even surprised by the energy the younger Johnson showed on that end of the floor. In an interview with Chris Fisher of CatsPause.com, Chris Johnson had this to say: “I learned this year that he could play defense. He got down and really played defense.” Every Spur is expected to hold their own on the defensive end and Johnson would have no issue doing exactly that.

San Antonio is currently facing a bit of a log jam at the guard position and Johnson would contribute to that. He’s somewhere between a shooting guard and small forward and would occupy the same space as Walker, DeRozan, and Marco Belinelli.

Still, San Antonio could make it work. Their current roster would allow them to send Johnson back-and-forth to the G League throughout his rookie season. It’s a strategy that has worked for them in years past. Johnson could then become a more important part of team in his sop re season.

If Keldon Johnson is available when San Antonio has their first selection at pick 19, the Spurs will have to think long and hard about taking him. Having the ability to put defenses on their heels with the attacking speed of Murray, Walker, DeRozan and Johnson is certainly enticing.

https://airalamo.com/2019/06/01/san-...eldon-johnson/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't all get drafted in the first 18 slots. And Keldon Johnson would probably be a pretty good value at 19. If he can continue to shoot 38% from 3P, it's enough. And it's a lot easier to get a guy who already has respectable mechanics up to 40%+ than it would be to get a lot of other guys there.

The problem is, I don't know what the Spurs do with the SG's they already have. If they draft another, it seems like there almost has to be some kind of deal coming.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be thrilled with him at 19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is, I don't know what the Spurs do with the SG's they already have. If they draft another, it seems like there almost has to be some kind of deal coming.
    I think he could be a stretch 2-3 and become the wing player they are looking for. (As for the logjam, I'm not sold on Lonnie Walker as much as most here are -- just hoping I'm wrong.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s got star potential. We should package 19, Forbes and 49 to go up and get him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s got star potential. We should package 19, Forbes and 49 to go up and get him.
    Why trade up when he seems likely to be there at 19? I don't see star, but pretty good starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see the wisdom of trading up when there's a giant tier of similarly talented players from about 9 to 25. Someone interesting is bound to drop to 19.

As for Keldon specifically, have him add 15 pounds of muscle and he's pretty much a small forward. I see him having more of a role player, off the ball ceiling so I don't think he interferes much with the White, Walker and Murray trio. That foursome would fit well enough going forward, IMO.
    Last edited by timvp; 06-01-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same thing here, Imo he could be a sf in the nba. He has the size for and will need some bulk like timvp said.

A good option at 19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see the wisdom of trading up when there's a giant tier of similarly talented players from about 9 to 25. Someone interesting is bound to drop to 19.

As for Keldon specifically, have him had 15 pounds of muscle and he's pretty much a small forward. I see him having more of a role player, off the ball ceiling so I don't think he interferes much with the White, Walker and Murray trio. That foursome would fit well enough going forward, IMO.
    This is Big 3 dynasty thinking. Except we don’t have a big3. We need difference makers. Not Kyle Anderson’s. If that means we have to sneak into the lottery to get our guy we need to do it. I haven’t given up hope of this franchise being championship contenders. But we need to hit on legit talent to do it, not hope for interesting scraps at 19. I really hope they see someone they like and trade up for them Kawhi style.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is Big 3 dynasty thinking. Except we don’t have a big3. We need difference makers. Not Kyle Anderson’s. If that means we have to sneak into the lottery to get our guy we need to do it. I haven’t given up hope of this franchise being championship contenders. But we need to hit on legit talent to do it, not hope for interesting scraps at 19. I really hope they see someone they like and trade up for them Kawhi style.
    Sure, we need a star to build around but for all we know Murray or Walker is that star. Spurs may end up with the player that they want without moving up (similar to Murray and Kyle Anderson) picks 10-30 seem to be very fluid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would rather draft Cam Johnson than him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As for Keldon specifically, have him add 15 pounds of muscle and he's pretty much a small forward. I see him having more of a role player, off the ball ceiling so I don't think he interferes much with the White, Walker and Murray trio. That foursome would fit well enough going forward, IMO.
    To me, this doesn't make sense. Draft tiers mean nothing outside of determining what trade market arises. How often do you really see clear striations in performance to match the pre-draft tiers? Just because Keldon is in the same tier as NAW or Porter doesn't mean they're going to be similar players. And if they're not, then you want to make sure to grab the one who's going to be good rather than the one who doesn't require you to trade anything. Yeah, I know that development means a lot, and the Spurs have a great developmental staff. But scouting is just as important, and the Spurs can't rely on getting lucky forever. The extent to which they lucked out on Walker is amazing. Folks may have thought he was in the same tier as Zhaire Smith or DiVincenzo, but there's no way I'd prefer either of those guys to Lonnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By rumors anyways Spurs have tried to trade up unsuccessfully at times and been fortunate that the player they were targeting has fallen to them.

I think it would depend on the draft. If they saw a player they liked a lot, possibly attainable in a move up, likely gone if they didn’t and nothing in their range they were keen on they’d be trying to pull the trade trigger. Let’s say for instance they were really high on Little or Hachimura.
    Last edited by picnroll; 06-02-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Thread Information