Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2966170

Reggie Miller says he is contemplating a return to the NBA, this time with the Boston Celtics.

Miller, who turns 42 on Aug. 24, played his entire 18-year career with the Indiana Pacers before retiring in 2005. Since his playing days ended he has worked as a television analyst for TNT.

Miller was all set to continue that job when Celtics general manager Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers asked him to think about joining their revamped team in a reserve role, playing about 15 minutes per game.

Miller said he is calling friends and peers, seeking their advice and listening to their feedback before he makes his decision. He still plays recreationally, but must determine if he wants to go through the physical and mental grind of an 82-game season. He also wonders how his body would respond to the intensive training it would take to get him back to NBA shape.

The lure of playing in Boston is simple: with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen added to Paul Pierce, the Celtics feel they have a shot at an NBA championship. Like those three players, the only thing missing from Miller's list of accomplishments is a championship ring.

Miller, a five-time NBA All-Star, is seventh on the all-time list of games played with 1,323. He is 14th in scoring (24,305 points) and holds the NBA record for most made the most 3-pointers in NBA history with 2,560.

Since the Celtics' trades that brought in Allen and Garnett, the team has been filling out its roster with less heralded players, including guard Eddie House and center Scot Pollard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't make sense. If these guys are desperate to win a ring, then there is only one real place to go that will give you a good chance and that is.........well you know.

Double facepalm...
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I would love nothing more than for my favorite player of all time to come back on a le contending team to bing some clutch savvy to his squad of some of my other favorite players of all time (Paul Perce, KG, and even Allen, at least I am a fan of Allen's stroke, if not the person).

This is not the MJ situation, because MJ came back, and despite his age, he was still the best player on his team (aka the Wiz had no talent). Also Reggie is more hungry. Larry Bird would probably encourage it as well. But man, they have no coach.

I don't know if Reggie REALLLY wants this or not.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    It doesn't make sense. If these guys are desperate to win a ring, then there is only one real place to go that will give you a good chance and that is.........well you know.

But, 2008 is an even number season.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. This would make The Celtics the "Smithsonian of the NBA" next year if it happens. Maybe we'll stopped being pegged as the only "old" team.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The Heat with Shaq, Zo, and Payton (to a certain extent Fatoine as well) has also been pegged as an "old" team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can never have enough shooters, and they are really thin at sg, and you know the guy can still shoot. Dont know how well he would be able to contribute with his age though, but for cheap, you dont think he might be worth a shot?

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can never have enough shooters, and they are really thin at sg, and you know the guy can still shoot. Dont know how well he would be able to contribute with his age though, but for cheap, you dont think he might be worth a shot?
    I just don't think their chiefs to indians ratio will allow any sort of harmony on the team.

My Team
    Indiana Pacers
    Post Count
    I would love nothing more than for my favorite player of all time to come back on a le contending team to bing some clutch savvy to his squad of some of my other favorite players of all time (Paul Perce, KG, and even Allen, at least I am a fan of Allen's stroke, if not the person).

This is not the MJ situation, because MJ came back, and despite his age, he was still the best player on his team (aka the Wiz had no talent). Also Reggie is more hungry. Larry Bird would probably encourage it as well. But man, they have no coach.

I don't know if Reggie REALLLY wants this or not.
    I feel pretty much the same, except... It's the CELTICS!

Somehow, I would feel better about the whole thing if Reggie went to the WC. It's going to be too weird seeing him in a Boston jersey after lighting them up in the playoffs so many times. I am not a fan of Pierce, Garnett, or Allen, either.

This could be pretty interesting, though. I always wanted to see Reggie play against the Spurs in the Finals. I just assumed it would happen with Indiana.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The Celtics should bring Hondo back while they're at it

My Team
    Indiana Pacers
    Post Count
    I just don't think their chiefs to indians ratio will allow any sort of harmony on the team.
    That may be true, but Reggie won't be part of the problem. He is a y little @#$%, but a good teammate. Reggie is now almost a pure spot-up shooter. He is actually more effective without the ball.

One problem I see for my favorite player of all time is he may no longer get "star" calls, and he needs those to be effective at this stage in his career. On defense, Miller uses a little bag of dirty tricks and handchecking to get by.

By the way, this is the main reason that I am always supportive of Bruce Bowen; he is nowhere near as dirty as Reggie can be.

EDIT: I just realized something important. The Celtics signed Scott Pollard, who is one of Reggie's friends...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    On second thought, if this will get him out of the broadcast booth, I'm all for it.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm. Interesting. It's an odd place to go if you're chasing a ring, but it might buy the Celtics some time to sort out exactly whose team it is. There is going to be some serious growing pains for this team. I could see a respected vet like Reggie being a locker room leader and glue guy that can help keep this team from tearing itself apart in the first half of the season while people are still feeling their new roles out.

And if his legs still have anything left they'll get a quality clutch shooter to boot. I'd still shy away from calling them championship material but definitely in the running for an EC Championship if they can get Reggie for peanuts.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Well, this could be interesting....I'm all for it...the NBA needs some gimmicks and hype....Now the Lakers get JO and I'll be actually look forward to the season again.

Veteran
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

I know why don't they want to play for Detroit? Its simple logic to join this team if you want a championship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know why don't they want to play for Detroit? Its simple logic to join this team if you want a championship.
    The Cavs would have been a better answer than Detroit

Veteran
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The Cavs would have been a better answer than Detroit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should call Bird and Mcale, oh wait those guys didn't have to do the whole leech thing. these guys need to accept that not evreyone can win a championship, just ask the Bad News Bears

two in the pink, one in the stink

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Boston needs a center and Patrick Ewing never won a le, so why not?

Double facepalm...
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Boston needs a center and Patrick Ewing never won a le, so why not?
    Because there is an ever so slight difference between a SG who is 42 and a C who is 72... catch my drift?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somewhere, Pooh is digusted at the thought of Reggie in Celtic green.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate it when players come back from retirement, totally disregard their whole heritage with their team to try to win a ring, if he returns, just means that the Celtics won't win. Reggie IS the Pacers, and he wants to come back as a Celtic?

I know it's about the rings but show some pride, I expected more out of Reggie than that.

Before you mention NVE, I was never really a fan of his in the first place.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Because there is an ever so slight difference between a SG who is 42 and a C who is 72... catch my drift?
    Sarcasm. Catch MY drift?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damnzzzzzzz.....

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    On second thought, if this will get him out of the broadcast booth, I'm all for it.
    In that vein....some team, somewhere, MUST have room for Walton. (Please o please o please o please)

Thread Information