Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ecuador is not blazing hot or anything.
    Average high temperature in Guayaquil which seems to be the Ecudorian epicenter is 90F this month and last.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But if this report about it floating around through air pollution is true, then we are all screwed if that promising vaccine doesn't get mass produced very soon.

Not that we really needed one, but that is one more, actually two more reasons to

STAY

IN

DOORS

Shelter in place decreases smog and pollution AND keeps you from breathing most of it. One and two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But if this report about it floating around through air pollution is true, then we are all screwed if that promising vaccine doesn't get mass produced very soon.

2 key things here:

1. if the death rate really is low because it's been around a lot longer than we realize, then it could not be as bad (i.e. not 4%, more like 0.5-1%)
    2. Not sure how much viral load it takes to get past the "average" immune system. Highly doubt that concentration of virus is in air pollution and at street level, unless you like to breathe out of a factory smokestack of a building containing 200 highly contagious people coughing upwards at the same time.

Feel free to inhale, despite what the news tells you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 key things here:

1. if the death rate really is low because it's been around a lot longer than we realize, then it could not be as bad (i.e. not 4%, more like 0.5-1%)
    2. Not sure how much viral load it takes to get past the "average" immune system. Highly doubt that concentration of virus is in air pollution and at street level, unless you like to breathe out of a factory smokestack of a building containing 200 highly contagious people coughing upwards at the same time.

Feel free to inhale, despite what the news tells you.
    You know what even 1% means, right? The easiest way to do that is simply to move the decimal point two places to the left.

US population: 320,000,000
    Deaths @ 1%: 3,200,000

You're also only seeing this as a duality: dead or fine. People are living, but having serious lung damage, neurological issues, and this should scare the millenials: people in their 30s and 40s, and in previously good health are dropping dead from sudden strokes and heart attacks. They're not heavy, and don't have diabetes. There is a coagulopathy (clotting) component that manifests with some that causes this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only for individual workouts, but still seems premature to me.

Guys going to work out are going to be sweating and breathing all over everything. What are they gonna do, sterilize the gym between every session?
    They should. Some companies are buying ozone generators and UV lights to sterilize offices. With those lights it takes just a few minutes to clean everything but who knows if it really works or not against the virus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know what even 1% means, right? The easiest way to do that is simply to move the decimal point two places to the left.

US population: 320,000,000
    Deaths @ 1%: 3,200,000

You're also only seeing this as a duality: dead or fine. People are living, but having serious lung damage, neurological issues, and this should scare the millenials: people in their 30s and 40s, and in previously good health are dropping dead from sudden strokes and heart attacks. They're not heavy, and don't have diabetes. There is a coagulopathy (clotting) component that manifests with some that causes this.
    you're making a basic error, extrapolating to an entire population. That assumes the virus sickens everyone. Even with much more contagious diseases (smallpox, etc) it didnt get close. 100% population spread has never happened in the history of mankind. And with most people understanding this virus better, there's no way it gets even close to 50% spread. Even many of the idiots protesting stay at home orders pictured in Michigan were wearing PPE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should. Some companies are buying ozone generators and UV lights to sterilize offices. With those lights it takes just a few minutes to clean everything but who knows if it really works or not against the virus.
    UV works against everything my dude. It's ionizing radiation

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main concern was to have a surge of patients flood the hospitals and not have a ventilator available or enough Hospital beds I think were OK going forward. I am starting to believe that NO Vaccine will be available in the next few years so unless they know for sure then I don’t have a problem of states opening up slowly and some all the way. From everything I am hearing is that it’s best for the HERD the human population to get it and hopefully develop an immunity to it.

I think the biggest concern now is the “Second Wave” the Virus and the Flu season combined. To me what needs to happen is that all FLU shots need to be free and that school and businesses need to make it mandatory. The states and cities need to make a huge push to get as much as the population vaccinated before Flu season starts. I can’t remember if it was in 2017 or 2018 where almost 85,000 people died in one Flu season.

As far as the virus I think the number is like .5% chance of a healthy person under the age of 40 dying from the virus. As I do not fall in that category I will follow all the recommendations of not catching the virus but I also understand that this virus is so easy to catch I will probably get it. I am trying to hold out long enough hoping they come up with some meds that reduce the percentage of people who have to be put on ventilators Also, have to agree with Exstatic in that people should be more aware of the potential long term damage to ones heart and lungs - I just asked my Dr to put me on Vascepa, medicated type of oil that reduces potential Strokes and Heart Attacks.

Hopefully with the amount of money and brain power going into fighting this virus a Vaccine will be created soon!!!!!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    My main concern was to have a surge of patients flood the hospitals and not have a ventilator available or enough Hospital beds I think were OK going forward. I am starting to believe that NO Vaccine will be available in the next few years so unless they know for sure then I don’t have a problem of states opening up slowly and some all the way. From everything I am hearing is that it’s best for the HERD the human population to get it and hopefully develop an immunity to it.

I think the biggest concern now is the “Second Wave” the Virus and the Flu season combined. To me what needs to happen is that all FLU shots need to be free and that school and businesses need to make it mandatory. The states and cities need to make a huge push to get as much as the population vaccinated before Flu season starts. I can’t remember if it was in 2017 or 2018 where almost 85,000 people died in one Flu season.

As far as the virus I think the number is like .5% chance of a healthy person under the age of 40 dying from the virus. As I do not fall in that category I will follow all the recommendations of not catching the virus but I also understand that this virus is so easy to catch I will probably get it. I am trying to hold out long enough hoping they come up with some meds that reduce the percentage of people who have to be put on ventilators Also, have to agree with Exstatic in that people should be more aware of the potential long term damage to ones heart and lungs - I just asked my Dr to put me on Vascepa, medicated type of oil that reduces potential Strokes and Heart Attacks.

Hopefully with the amount of money and brain power going into fighting this virus a Vaccine will be created soon!!!!!

Good idea. Or once a person thinks it's possible they may have it, take a baby aspirin once a day if you are not already on blood thinners.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You know the flu shot is a best guess of what flu strains that a panel of the world's best epidemiologists *think* might hit the worlds's population 6 months after they decide? It then takes 6 months to produce about 250 million doses of vaccine for those 4 or 5 strains. There are hundreds of strains of flu. To underscore this point, most years are only about 30-40% effective in limiting the active strains. It's been as low as like 12% though.

Even free, universal, mass flu vaccinations won't stop the flu.

Likewise, ultimately, per a Harvard epidemiologist I read, COVID won't be considered to be an unlikely community spread pathogen until 70-80% of the population gets it AND it doesn't re-infect people with mutations. Anecdotally, I know of a case of a woman in Colombia that got the disease, stayed in the hospital for nearly 2 weeks, was released after 2 tests showed no viral load in her system, and then was re-infected by apparently a different strain 2 weeks later. If that's possible with this virus, the world's economic situation is ed until a potential vaccine limits all strains of it. Nor will sports, or much else, return to normal anytime soon.

In summary, this fall likely represents a major concern with a potential for the regular flu season and COVID potentially still, or again, wreaking havoc depending on its capabilities of mutation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know the flu shot is a best guess of what flu strains that a panel of the world's best epidemiologists *think* might hit the worlds's population 6 months after they decide? It then takes 6 months to produce about 250 million doses of vaccine for those 4 or 5 strains. There are hundreds of strains of flu. To underscore this point, most years are only about 30-40% effective in limiting the active strains. It's been as low as like 12% though.

Even free, universal, mass flu vaccinations won't stop the flu.

Likewise, ultimately, per a Harvard epidemiologist I read, COVID won't be considered to be an unlikely community spread pathogen until 70-80% of the population gets it AND it doesn't re-infect people with mutations. Anecdotally, I know of a case of a woman in Colombia that got the disease, stayed in the hospital for nearly 2 weeks, was released after 2 tests showed no viral load in her system, and then was re-infected by apparently a different strain 2 weeks later. If that's possible with this virus, the world's economic situation is ed until a potential vaccine limits all strains of it. Nor will sports, or much else, return to normal anytime soon.

In summary, this fall likely represents a major concern with a potential for the regular flu season and COVID potentially still, or again, wreaking havoc depending on its capabilities of mutation.

Yea sports is in deep for the foreseeable future

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're making a basic error, extrapolating to an entire population. That assumes the virus sickens everyone. Even with much more contagious diseases (smallpox, etc) it didnt get close. 100% population spread has never happened in the history of mankind. And with most people understanding this virus better, there's no way it gets even close to 50% spread. Even many of the idiots protesting stay at home orders pictured in Michigan were wearing PPE.
    different models have herd immunity kicking in between 40 and 70%. Lets be optimistic and say 40%. That’s still 1,280,000 deaths at the 1% rate. That’s two optimistic assumptions piled in top of each other: the mortality rate, and the low threshold for herd immunity, and it’s still over a million and a quarter deaths.

I don’t know what pictures you were looking at, but the one long shot down one of the Avenues in Lansing showed two protesters with masks on. Two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

makes you wonder wtf this strain actually came from....regular viruses dont act like that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Kerr said on Tuesday that it feels like the Warriors' season is over and he doesn't think the team will play again until next season.

“We’re staying in touch with guys, but everyone is just sort of assuming that this is kind of it,” he said in a Zoom call. "We're not going to be involved much anymore." Stephen Curry was quoted earlier on Tuesday saying that "it would suck" to play games with no fans in the stands and it sounds like he may not have to worry about it. Major League Baseball is talking about starting their season in late June and while Kerr's comments in no way signal the end of the NBA season, Kerr's gut feeling is probably as strong as anyone's.

SOURCE: Connor Letourneau on Twitter
    Apr 28, 2020, 5:35 PM ET

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that we really needed one, but that is one more, actually two more reasons to

STAY

IN

DOORS

Shelter in place decreases smog and pollution AND keeps you from breathing most of it. One and two.
    Enjoy heart attack from being obese from no activity tbh get outside or death follows per par fwiw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Kerr said on Tuesday that it feels like the Warriors' season is over and he doesn't think the team will play again until next season.

“We’re staying in touch with guys, but everyone is just sort of assuming that this is kind of it,” he said in a Zoom call. "We're not going to be involved much anymore." Stephen Curry was quoted earlier on Tuesday saying that "it would suck" to play games with no fans in the stands and it sounds like he may not have to worry about it. Major League Baseball is talking about starting their season in late June and while Kerr's comments in no way signal the end of the NBA season, Kerr's gut feeling is probably as strong as anyone's.

SOURCE: Connor Letourneau on Twitter
    Apr 28, 2020, 5:35 PM ET

He is right their season has been over since kd left tbh

Thread Information