My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    would also heighten the stakes of unwinding Wisconsin's extreme Congressional gerrymander.

expect to see this in a number of GOP run states.

If Wisconsin had picked its Electoral College delegates using a congressional district method, President Donald Trump would have received the majority of Wisconsin’s 10 votes in 2020. Six, to be precise.

And that is what a new bill authored by Rep. Gary Tauchen (R-Bonduel) would do. It would make Wisconsin a state where the winner of the popular vote does not get all — or even necessarily the most — Electoral College votes. Tauchen’s bill (LRB 0513/1) would distribute the presidential electors by assigning one vote for each of Wisconsin’s eight congressional districts, then giving the remaining two electors to the statewide winner of the popular vote.
    https://wisconsinexaminer.com/2021/0...onal-district/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you're going to fudge it, just delegate them proportionally by popular vote. would make sense if the whole country did that.

or just skip the proverbial middle man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you're going to fudge it, just delegate them proportionally by popular vote. would make sense if the whole country did that.

or just skip the proverbial middle man
    If enough states copy Wisconsin, there may not be another Democrat elected president for a long, long time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repugs/oligarchy will never stop trying to degrade America into a one-party authoritarian hole.

My bet is that, with WI stuff like this,

insane PARTISAN gerrymandering (thanks Repug SCOTUS),

voter suppression (thanks Repug SCOTUS),

oligarchy's opaque/dark money (thanks, Repug SCOTUS),

they will eventually succeed.

And the feckless Dems won't stop them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If enough states copy Wisconsin, there may not be another Democrat elected president for a long, long time.
    i dont know if thats the case. would more or less follow congressional control. but yes, expanding the impact of gerrymandering almost certainly seems bad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The solid blue states won't do it because they'd want to give all their EVs to the Dems.
    The solid red states won't do it because they'd want to give all their EVs to the Reps.

That leaves the swing states.

Do you see the Dems losing the Presidential vote or the state legislature in any of the coastal states + NV, CO, NM, MN, IL? If not, that gives the Dems 233 at a minimum. Will the GOP try this stunt in all swing states (WI, MI, PA, AZ, GA, FL, NC)? The remaining red states add up to 188 EVs. The GOP will end up losing EVs if they try this in a state they actually win. I think the Dems will be fine.

Plus, WI is the swing state that is most likely to become redder. The GOP will be gifting a few extra EVs to the Dems

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The solid blue states won't do it because they'd want to give all their EVs to the Dems.
    The solid red states won't do it because they'd want to give all their EVs to the Reps.

That leaves the swing states.

Do you see the Dems losing the Presidential vote or the state legislature in any of the coastal states + NV, CO, NM, MN, IL? If not, that gives the Dems 233 at a minimum. Will the GOP try this stunt in all swing states (WI, MI, PA, AZ, GA, FL, NC)? The remaining red states add up to 188 EVs. The GOP will end up losing EVs if they try this in a state they actually win. I think the Dems will be fine.

Plus, WI is the swing state that is most likely to become redder. The GOP will be gifting a few extra EVs to the Dems
    That's well put. I didn't think it through.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'd be giving up a whole 2 EV when the Republican wins the state while still getting 6EV when the Democrat wins it. That's a pretty ing good tradeoff for the GOP, especially if they don't have a popular cult of personality to run in 2024.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information