Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    dubious at best

Costliest U.S. civil disorders
    Includes riots and civil disorders causing insured losses to the insurance industry
    Dates Location Dollars 2020 dollars
    May 26-June 8, 2020 20 states across U.S. $1-2b $1-2b
    Apr. 29-May 4, 1992 Los Angeles, CA 775m 1.42b
    Aug. 11-17, 1965 Los Angeles, CA 44m 357m
    Jul. 23, 1967 Detroit, MI 42m 322m
    May 17-19, 1980 Miami, Fl 65m 204m
    Apr. 4-9, 1968 Washington, DC 24m 179m
    Jul. 13-14, 1977 New York, NY 28m 118m
    Jul. 12. 1967 Newark, NJ 15m 115m
    Apr. 6-9, 1968 Baltimore, MD 14m 104m
    Apr. 4-11, 1968 Chicago, IL 13m 97m

https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/f...ivil-disorders
    T S A

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Had to include 20 states to get that guestimate?

'92 remains GOAT.

The police shouldn't murder people in the street.
    And blacks shouldn't come back thru and leave whites lynched to telephone poles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheriff D. Clarke says it best!

It's not the police who need to be retrained, it's the public. We have grown into a mouthy, mobile phone wielding, vulgar, uncivil society with no personal responsibility and the at ude of 'it's the other person's fault', 'you owe me'. A society where children grow up with no boundaries or knowledge or concern for civil society and personal responsibility.

When an officer says "Put your hands up," then put your hands up! Don't reach for something in your pocket, your lap, your seat. There's plenty of reason for a police officer to feel threatened, there have been multiple assaults and ambushes on police officers lately. Comply with requests from the officer, have your day in court. Don't mouth off, or fight, or refuse to comply... that escalates the situation.

Police officers are our sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters. They're black, white, brown, all colours, all ethnicities, all faiths, male and female, they are us. They see the worst side of humanity... the raped children, the bloody mangled bodies of traffic victims, the bruised and battered victims of domestic violence, homicide victims, body parts... day after day.

They work holidays while we have festive meals with our families. They miss school events with their kids, birthdays, anniversaries, all those special occasions that we take for granted. They work in all types of weather, under dangerous conditions, for relatively low pay.

They have extensive training, but they are human. When there are numerous attacks on them, they become hyper vigilant for a reason, they have become targets. When a police officer encounters any person... any person, whether at a traffic stop, a street confrontation, an arrest, whatever... that situation has the potential to become life threatening. You, Mr & Mrs/Miss Civilian, also have the responsibility of keeping the situation from getting out of control.

Many law enforcement officers are Veterans. They've been in service to this nation most of their lives, whether on the battlefield or protecting us here at home. They are the only thing that stands between us and anarchy in the streets.

If you want to protect your child, teach them respect.
    ducks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sheriff Clarke is one ed up knitter

the police, the military aren't center of American life they try to be, and are way too much venerated.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This would be Trill Clinton if he were real black and not fake black (and omega).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just private insurance loses, doesn't include property damage to government buildings and vehicles, government payouts for police misconduct and killings, etc.

Again, even if true, that says way more about how rare riots are in the US than anything else.
    Congress just approved 2.1 billion for capitol security, we have a new champ!

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    won't keep Florida Man's foot off the accelerator, but at least he won't have legal protection for the time being.

the judge's ruling references Jim Crow -- appropriately, IMO -- in the first paragraph.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Emily Claire Hari, erstwhile leader of Illinois’ White Rabbit militia, sentenced to 53 years.

https://abc7chicago.com/white-rabbit...rism/11020151/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Broke the law, violated rights and faked intellegence to please superiors

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/10/...report-states/

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Emily Claire Hari, erstwhile leader of Illinois’ White Rabbit militia, sentenced to 53 years.

https://abc7chicago.com/white-rabbit...rism/11020151/
    Unlike in '17 when Madonna threatened to blow up the White House, blowing thing up bad now in '21.

tee, hee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I said so, that's all the justification you need"

“Convinced that there was a coordinated effort to commit violence, [REDACTED NAME] intended purpose was to use the OBRs to confirm his su ions that a link existed amongst the arrestees and identify a single individual or group that was masterminding the attacks,” the report said.

Some Homeland Security staff spoke up over concerns that it was likely illegal to collect massive amounts of information on U.S. citizens with no connection to domestic terrorism. Those concerns were dismissed. Some staff refused to work on the reports.

“(Current and Emerging Threats Center) leadership sternly rebuffed the staff during a July 16, 2020 branch call admonishing staff that justification for completing the intrusive background searches was not necessary,” the report said.

In a blatant disregard for DHS policies and civil liberties, leadership dismissed staff concerns.

“Requests from leadership are justification enough,” leadership told their staff according to the report. “Don’t need specifics...if he gives tasking it’s clear/legal to do.”
    https://www.opb.org/article/2021/10/...report-states/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing that something so overwhelming peaceful could also cause more property damage than any other riot in the history of the United States.
    Legitimate political discourse.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Legitimate political discourse.
    Unlike in '17 when Madonna threatened to blow up the White House, blowing thing up bad now in '21.

tee, hee.
    Let us proceed...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mission creep, domestic surveillance based on viewpoint discrimination, looks like

MIT Technology Review

The secret police: Cops built a shadowy surveillance machine in Minnesota after George Floyd’s murder.

An investigation by MIT Technology Review reveals a sprawling, technologically sophisticated system in Minnesota designed for closely monitoring protesters.

Law enforcement agencies in Minnesota have been carrying out a secretive, long-running surveillance program targeting civil rights activists and journalists in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd in May 2020. Run under a consortium known as Operation Safety Net, the program was set up a year ago, ostensibly to maintain public order as Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin went on trial for Floyd’s murder. But an investigation by MIT Technology Review reveals that the initiative expanded far beyond its publicly announced scope to include expansive use of tools to scour social media, track cell phones, and amass detailed images of people’s faces.

Do ents obtained via public records requests show that the operation persisted long after Chauvin’s trial concluded. What’s more, they show that police used the extensive investigative powers they’d been afforded under the operation to monitor individuals who weren’t suspected of any crime.

MIT Technology Review’s investigation includes thousands of do ents and more than two dozen interviews with Minnesota state employees, policing experts, and activists. Taken together, they paint a picture of a state operation intent on identifying participants through secretive surveillance operations. Though it was undertaken by nonmilitary governmental agencies using public funds, large swaths of its inner workings have gone undisclosed. We found evidence of a complex engine of surveillance tailor-made for keeping close tabs on protesters and sharing that information among local and federal agencies, regardless of whether the subjects were suspected of any wrongdoing.

Operation Safety Net (OSN) was announced in February 2021, a month before Chauvin’s trial was set to begin. At a press conference also attended by Hennepin County sheriff David Hutchinson, Medaria Arradondo, then Minneapolis’s police chief, described the effort as a unified command that would enable law enforcement officials to mount a regional response in case protests turned violent.

Publicly, OSN acknowledged that federal agencies would assist in monitoring for threats of violence and activity by out-of-state extremist groups, and that an “intel team” would be established to help share information surrounding these threats. Our investigation shows that federal support for OSN was in fact extensive, involving the US Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. At least six FBI agents served in executive and intelligence roles for the program.

According to OSN’s website, which was shut down on January 19, the program’s mission was to “preserve and protect lawful First Amendment nonviolent protests and demonstrations before, during, and after the trial of Chauvin, who was charged in George Floyd’s death.” The site added, “Operation Safety Net is also dedicated to preventing violent civil disturbances, assaultive actions, property damage, fires, and looting to government buildings, businesses, and critical infrastructure.”
    https://www.technologyreview.com/202...-george-floyd/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In an email to MIT Technology Review in October 2021, spokesperson Doug Neville wrote that OSN is “not an ongoing operation.”

However, according to emails obtained and reviewed as part of our investigation, the operation does appear to be actively ongoing, with regular planning meetings of the executive and intelligence teams—where it has been referred to as “OSN 2.0”—and sharing of intelligence do ents. No information about the goals or extent of the new engagement has been publicly disclosed and officials contacted about the program denied it had been formally renewed.

Do ents unearthed as part of this investigation shine a light on secretive surveillance programs, new technology vendors, murky supply chains used to arm riot police, and several watch lists, as well as other previously unreported information. Taken together, they reveal how advanced surveillance techniques and technologies employed by the state, sometimes in an extra-legal fashion, have changed the nature of protest in the United States, effectively bringing an end to Americans’ ability to exercise their First Amendment rights anonymously in public spaces.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On at least two nights during the height of the protests, which spanned nearly 10 days, law enforcement briefly detained and took detailed photographs of credentialed members of the press who were covering the events.

The ACLU of Minnesota, along with pro bono lawyers from private law firms Fredrikson & Byron P.A., the law office of Kevin Riach and Apollo Law, recently settled a class action lawsuit against the Minnesota State Patrol over its treatment of journalists during the protests. The settlement requires the State Patrol to pay $825,000 to injured journalists, and a federal judge ordered an injunction lasting six years that prohibits the State Patrol and jointly responding agencies from attacking and arresting journalists, or ordering them to disperse from the scene of a protest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Passing around enemies lists on the public dime.

As part of our investigation, MIT Technology Review obtained a watch list used by the agencies in the operation that includes photos and personal information identifying journalists and other people “doing nothing more than exercising their cons utional rights,” Leita Walker, a lawyer representing journalists arrested in the protests who has examined the list, wrote in court do ents. It was compiled by the Criminal Intelligence Division of the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office—one of the groups participating in OSN—and included people arrested by the Minnesota State Patrol, another participant.

The Minnesota State Patrol and Minneapolis Police Department both told MIT Technology Review in an email that they were not aware of the do ent and Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office did not reply to multiple requests for comment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The war on terror came home but it focused on religious and political expression instead of terrorism.

“Instead of looking for terrorist threats, fusion centers were monitoring lawful political and religious activity. The Virginia Fusion Center described a Muslim get-out–the-vote campaign as ‘subversive,’” reads a 2012 report from the Brennan Center, a law and policy think tank. “In 2009, the North Central Texas Fusion Center identified lobbying by Muslim groups as a possible threat. The DHS dismissed these as isolated episodes, but a two-year Senate investigation found that such tactics were hardly rare. It concluded that fusion centers routinely produce ‘irrelevant, useless, or inappropriate’ intelligence that endangers civil liberties.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MN Department of Human Rights report drops

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    US PROTESTS
    Published April 26, 2022 2:03am EDT

Companies that loudly supported BLM fall silent when confronted with skyrocketing Black murders

Fox News Digital reached out to a handful of companies that pledged support to BLM or organizations that support overhauling policing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall rubes still supporting these Communist hacks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Standard training dictates baton rounds be aimed below waist level, but journalists and protesters routinely ended up with head injuries from less than lethal rounds in 2020.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Standard training dictates baton rounds be aimed below waist level, but journalists and protesters routinely ended up with head injuries from less than lethal rounds in 2020.

Anytime a "journalist" gets taken up short is a good time.

Thread Information