Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do the spurs get for moving back?
    They get to move up and take another lotto-esque talent instead of picking at the bottom of the first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do the spurs get for moving back?
    9 + 25 + 38 <---> 13 + 15
    Unless you're dead set on a specific guy at 9, if you're a little flexible (say willing to pick between Daniels, Mathurin, Davis, and Sochan) one of them will be there at 13, and you get an extra pick for lottery talent which will not be there at 20 (like Eason)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man if we use our pick on Griffin ... lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would do that, Chinook. But I would prefer to have something like 9 and 13 that 13 and 15.

If SA can give up 20 and 25 to get to 13 I would probably prefer that because personally you at least for sure get who you want….but I would do that other deal too if push came to shove unless an opportunity to trade up for Ivey or Chet presented itself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people in this thread have been unhappy about the thought of Mark Williams at 9... You people realize that he's got more standing reach than Gobert and is at least a comparable athlete... Not to mention that he looks to have more offensive value than Gobert... (yeah, he hasn't had to take a bunch of jumpers in the NCAA, but he's 5/9 on them, and hit 75% of his FT's, so he has decent potential as a shooter). Getting a Gobert on a rookie contract at 9 would be a really good deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people in this thread have been unhappy about the thought of Mark Williams at 9... You people realize that he's got more standing reach than Gobert and is at least a comparable athlete... Not to mention that he looks to have more offensive value than Gobert... (yeah, he hasn't had to take a bunch of jumpers in the NCAA, but he's 5/9 on them, and hit 75% of his FT's, so he has decent potential as a shooter). Getting a Gobert on a rookie contract at 9 would be a really good deal.
    I don't hate Williams that much, even though I would prefer to trade down a bit and get him. If the Spurs did pick him in the lottery, it would tell me they think he has a chance to be legit special. I would feel worse about him at 20 after Mathurin, because that does just feel like shuffling chairs or topping off the coffers. I think a lot of people might be overlooking the comments about Primo last year. In the Spurs' minds, they expected to be hoping for a chance to draft a Primo who stayed in college another year. They'd have to decide between guys like him, Mathurin, Murray etc. Unless their evaluation has changed quite a bit since then, they shouldn't be looking to draft another SG. If they had the 8th- and 9th-overall picks this year and drafted Primo and Mathurin, they'd be insane. So drafting Mathurin would suggest either they think he's finally the star wing they've been aiming for, or that they're just going to keep taking those shots no matter how crowded the room gets.

What does that have to do with Williams? Because to me, if they are willing to just fill up on another SG, then they probably intend to just do that with center, and draft a guy who will be fighting with Jock Landale for gameday activations. I wouldn't be happy with them spending two picks on guys like that while they continue to have no forwards with size on their roster. Taking Williams at 9 would suggest they think he'll be their starting center within a year or so. It might let them trade Poeltl in an impact deal. Of it could mean they're intending to release/trade Collins and maximize cap space. There are a lot of good things it could mean if they take him high that don't have much to do with whether we believe he's going to be Gobert or not. I remember when people were trying to decide between Gobert or Jaiteh in pre-draft discussions. Comparing favorably against a young Rudy doesn't mean much to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya its tough with FA after draft…One wonders if SA is willing to spend big on someone like Ayton? If so that changes much of what you do in draft possibly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya its tough with FA after draft…One wonders if SA is willing to spend big on someone like Ayton? If so that changes much of what you do in draft possibly
    I think you have the order of operation wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you have the order of operation wrong.
    How

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Ayton at 30M+ that much better than Mark Williams at a rookie deal?
    In fact, if I were Phoenix, I'd take a long look at getting the assets necessary for Willaims (in some trade that nets them a pick in the 8-13 range) as an insurance policy for Ayton's likely departure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams will be solid imo, the only thing is you can a player with more versality here. Even Duren for me shows us more possibility of shoooting. Williams is a pure paint guy that could limitate his ceilling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good case, but then we're drafting to replace a player we already have in order to facilitate trading that player. That's pretty deflating. It's not a position of need and things are done purely to save money. I'd kick somebody's dog if that happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would I let an unknown and uncontrollable dictate the draft when the draft precludes free agency? Willingness to spend on Ayton is independent of draft day decisions given Ayton is an RFA who, IF interested I have the tools to acquire via S&T or via outright free agency.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good case, but then we're drafting to replace a player we already have in order to facilitate trading that player. That's pretty deflating. It's not a position of need and things are done purely to save money. I'd kick somebody's dog if that happened.
    That's how I feel about Williams or Duren at 9. Sideways move realistically.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty down on Duren, but even he seems like a better prospect than Williams from Duke. I thought Williams had challenges defending in space. To me, how is Williams much better than Kessler at 20 or 25? Obviously, people must think there is some upside to Williams playing on a crowded roster et cetera, but even still I'm hesitant to let a good scrimmage at the Combine erase all that is already known about him. Anyway, sort of rambling here, but very underwhelmed with picking a dinosaur center with our #9 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen Mark Williams play in person and I've always wondered why he wasn't rated more highly; there are times where he seemed to me Duke's best player outside of Banchero. That said, I would prefer we draft a combo 4 with our pick, in the mold of Jeremy Sochan / Ousmane Dieng / AJ Griffin.
    Last edited by Uriel; 05-18-2022 at 02:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen Mark Williams play in person and I've always wondered why he wasn't rated more highly than Banchero; there are times where he seemed to me Duke's best player outside of Banchero. That said, I would prefer we draft a combo 4 with our pick, in the mold of Jeremy Sochan / Ousmane Dieng / AJ Griffin.
    Williams also seemed to fix a lot of mistakes coming from AJ Griffin's abysmal defense. Griffin would get blown by and Williams had to come over to try to clean up.

I think Banchero will need to be paired with a good center. He really is a lot like Julius Randle who is out on an island on defense, not good outside, not good inside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the spurs decide to go with a traditional center, i'd rather they pick williams over duren.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams fans, a question: what does he do better than Kessler?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a pretty decent player the spurs actually want isn't there (I'm talking size), I'm all for trading down a bit and collect some assets, say like to Cleveland: McNuggets and the #9 for Isaac Okoro, Lamar Stevens and the #14. Kills two birds with one stone. We don't exactly get what we want because it isn't there, but we do pick up some assets and we still pick at the end of the lottery. Remember whomever we pick at 9 won't get to play all that much as Pop hates to play rookies (very few exceptions). At least with the trade above we pick up assets and experience, something the #9 probably won't give us right away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the spurs really are high on mathurin, i'd have to think that sounds the death knell for walker.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CBS|NBA 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Magic take Chet Holmgren at No. 1 in first projection after Orlando wins lottery
    Gary Parrish, 31 minutes ago, AKA 18 May 2022

Round 1 - Pick 9
    Duren isn't really the type of floor-spacing big franchises prefer these days, but he's such a physical specimen and great athlete that there's probably a place for him in the top 10 of this draft. At worst, he should be a terrific rim-running and rim-protecting center who alters shots and dunks everything.
    Round 1 - Pick 20
    Hardy didn't do much over the past year to help his draft stock — but he's still a likely first-round talent capable of developing into a special player. Being drafted by a franchise like San Antonio would probably be the best thing for the trajectory of his career.
    Round 1 - Pick 25
    Braun is a wing with size who can guard his position, reliably make jumpers and finish in transition. He's the type of prospect who could flourish in the culture San Antonio has established.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CBS|NBA 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Magic take Chet Holmgren at No. 1 in first projection after Orlando wins lottery
    Gary Parrish, 31 minutes ago, AKA 18 May 2022
    Those are terrible picks for the Spurs. And I don't think they will consider Duren or Hardy much at all. Braun is a complete meh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SBNation NBA mock draft 2022: Instant first round picks with lottery complete
    Ricky O'Donnell, 17 May 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs - Bennedict Mathurin, G, Arizona

Mathurin blossomed into one of college basketball’s biggest stars as a sop re and helped transform Arizona into a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. The 6’5 guard cemented himself as a lottery pick with deep shooting range, opportunistic cutting, and the ability to impact the game offensively without holding the ball. Mathurin’s shooting will have to be his calling card, and he hit 37 percent of his three-pointers on 225 attempts this year. He has deep range on spot-ups and more importantly showed the ability hit shots while running off screens. Mathurin’s cutting ability also jumped out on tape: he’s great at eating up the space the defense gives him in the lane, and he’s an explosive two-footed jumper when he’s near the basket. The question with Mathurin’s offense is how much juice he’s going to provide off the dribble: his handle can be a bit shaky, and he missed a fair amount of open passing windows in college. The defense could also be a tricky evaluation: Mathurin should have the quickness and length to be good defensively against smaller guards, but he’s often prone to off-ball lapses and poor technique. There are a lot of great, young combo guards in the NBA right now, and if Mathurin continues to develop as a dynamic shooter he has a good chance to join them.
    20. San Antonio Spurs - Nikola Jovic, F, Serbia

Jovic is a 6’10 Serbian forward who is the latest potential first round pick for Mega Basket, the same club that once produced Nikola Jokic. Jovic stamped himself as a likely first rounder with an impressive showing in the 2021 FIBA U19 World Cup, where he averaged 18.1 points per game and hit 36.4 percent of his threes. Jovic is a dynamic offensive prospect thanks to his combination of size, shooting, and creativity. Jovic’s flash plays are incredibly enticing, with step-backs and sidesteps from three-point range acting as a regular part of his arsenal. He’s also shown some intriguing passing chops when he puts the ball on the floor, which makes him more dangerous than your typical spot-up shooter. The big question for Jovic is the defense. He can be an eyesore on that end getting burned by quicker players and struggling to get over screens. There’s no denying his offensive talent at 6’10, and if a team believes they can get him out of the liability zone defensively, he’s a nice upside gamble at this point in the first round.
    25. San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics) - Kennedy Chandler, G, Tennessee

Chandler was a decorated high school point guard who lived up to the hype as an All-SEC performer as a freshman for Tennessee. At 6-foot, 170 pounds with a 6’6 wingspan, Chandler makes up for his lack of size with plus length, quick hands, and toughness. Chandler is a speedy ball handler who can get into the paint and has the finishing craft to score (60 percent at the rim) in close despite his lack of size. He’s also a good pick-and-roll manipulator who finished in the 73rd percentile on those play types this season, per Synergy Sports. While Chandler is mostly a one- or two-position defender because of his lack of size, he is decidedly feisty at the point of attack, showing the ability to cleanly pick opposing guards for an impressive 4.1 percent steal rate. Chandler also make 38 percent of his threes this year, but surprisingly shot only 60 percent from the foul line. He’ll need to be a reliable shooter from deep and develop his floater to be an effective scorer at the next level, but his ability to run a team makes him a safe bet to carve out a long career as a backup point guard, if nothing else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sports Illustrated: NBA Mock Draft: Magic Win Lottery, Latest Projections
    Jeremy Woo, 19 hours ago, AKA 17 May 2022

9. Spurs: Johnny Davis, SG, Wisconsin

Height: 6' 4" | Weight: 195 | Age: 20 | Sop re

Davis boasts many of the traits San Antonio has traditionally favored in prospects: he is an intense compe or and worker, has strong feel on both ends of the floor, and boasts an unusually adept mid-range touch that teams hope will lead to more consistency from deep. He’s among the safer prospects in the lottery, and his rapid development points to even more room for growth, considering how seriously he takes his craft. As a smaller two-guard who’s more of a natural scorer than lead playmaker, you have to really believe in Davis’s intangibles to see star potential. But the likelihood he’s a longtime valuable player feels quite high regardless, and he figures to come off the board in the back half of the top 10.
    20. Spurs (from Raptors): E.J. Liddell, PF, Ohio State

Height: 6' 7" | Weight: 240 | Age: 21 | Junior

With three first-round picks and four selections in the top 40, expect the Spurs to be active leading up to the draft, considering they’re already young and don’t need to roster four rookies. Liddell makes for an interesting fit here, giving San Antonio a more rugged option to rotate into the mix. He is active on both ends, had a terrific college career and is more versatile than he gets credit for, fitting a mold similar to forwards like P.J. Washington and Grant Williams. He has a chance to plug in and play positive minutes as a rookie, and fits the Spurs’ traditional ethos with his quiet, consistent approach.
    25. Spurs (from Celtics): Wendell Moore, G/F, Duke

Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 215 | Age: 20 | Junior

The Spurs may not wind up keeping all their first-rounders here, but Moore makes sense for their style of play as a glue guy who can help early on. He has a strong complementary skill set, with defensive versatility, playmaking skills and the ability to play with and without the ball. He doesn’t profile as a high-end scorer, but he is unselfish and should be able to make teammates better. Moore had a terrific junior year and wound up somewhat underappreciated in the run of things, due in part to all the other talent on his team, but he was the engine that drove the Blue Devils. After grabbing a two-guard and a four-man with their first two picks, San Antonio adds a multipositional role player here with Moore.

Thread Information